Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    Better solution and I say this with all seriousness bring back decimation as a punishment for departments that is found to have had an abuse case or an unlawful killing.
    And how would you get this past the US constitution? Notably the 8th amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Police play Disney tunes to prevent video of them on patrol being posted online, California lawmaker claims.

A California lawmaker says police in Santa Ana have been playing loud, copyrighted music so that video of them on patrol would likely be taken down if it was posted online.

Councilmember Johnathan Ryan Hernandez said at a City Council meeting Tuesday he wants lawmakers to ban the alleged practice after a viral video from early April showed officers apparently blasting loud music on a residential street in Santa Ana while investigating a report of a stolen vehicle late at night. Hernandez is seen in the video interacting with an officer from the Santa Ana Police Department, after a different person asks police to stop playing the music.

Disney songs, such as “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from “Toy Story” and “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from “Encanto,” can be heard in the video posted to Santa Ana Audits, a YouTube channel dedicated to filming interactions with Santa Ana Police.

Videos posted to YouTube and other video hosting sites are often monitored for potential copyright infringement and risk being removed, therefore limiting how widely the content, like the Santa Ana police interaction, could be shared online.
    Cool and normal. /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Also very counter productive. Sure, Disney will likely force youtube and others to take down the videos....but that won't make them vanish completely... it will just make them more notorious. The videos will be reposted constantly, with different edits to make it harder for Youtube to track and remove them. We'll get mirrored versions, silent versions, versions with distorted audio, dummy accounts reposting the videos as soon as they get taken down...etc.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Also very counter productive. Sure, Disney will likely force youtube and others to take down the videos....but that won't make them vanish completely... it will just make them more notorious. The videos will be reposted constantly, with different edits to make it harder for Youtube to track and remove them. We'll get mirrored versions, silent versions, versions with distorted audio, dummy accounts reposting the videos as soon as they get taken down...etc.
    Well yeah; they're cops, they're not exactly the brightest bulbs in the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7da...et-parking-lot

Yo, Florida cops out there shooting petty theft suspects, and apparently others, over some fuckin packs of Pokemon cards and a fuckin pizza.

Does it really take a dozen units to respond to a few guys boosting like $30 of Pokemon cards and shitty pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Does it really take a dozen units to respond to a few guys boosting like $30 of Pokemon cards and shitty pizza?
    That depends.

Were there any Secret Rares in those packs?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

How long until the body cam footage of them trying to run over the police comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by MuH sTaTe LiNeS View Post
    How long until the body cam footage of them trying to run over the police comes out?
    If it exists, it'd probably already be out. But usually when the cops don't release footage, or specifically try to withhold footage, it's because the footage does not support their fictional presentation of events.

Quote Originally Posted by MuH sTaTe LiNeS View Post
    Never, because if they did try to do that, it would have come out already. And also, the car wasn't even on when shots were fired by the cops.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN: A federal judge accepts Derek Chauvin's plea deal and will sentence him to 20 to 25 years
    The federal judge presiding over the cases of the four Minneapolis police officers implicated in the killing of George Floyd has accepted Derek Chauvin's plea deal and will sentence him to 20 to 25 years in prison.

That sentencing range was laid out in the plea filed months ago, which also mentioned Chauvin would be expected to serve between 17 and a little over 21 years, "assuming all good-time credit."

Chauvin was sentenced last June after the former Minneapolis police officer was convicted of murder in the 2020 death of Floyd.

Chauvin has asked the Minnesota Court of Appeals to overturn his conviction.

At the federal level, Chauvin pleaded guilty in December 2021 to violating George Floyd's civil rights.

Based on the plea filed, this sentence would be served concurrently with the 22.5-year sentence tied to his murder conviction at the state level.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I love concurrent sentencing that's not actually a consequence because you serve time for both at once!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love concurrent sentencing that's not actually a consequence because you serve time for both at once!
    It does mean that he'd have to win two appeals to effect any change, though.

Actually, that begs the question: if you take a plea deal, does that limit your ability to appeal the decision later? If so, then it would make it pointless for him to appeal the state conviction, unless he prefers federal prison to state prison.

I don't think either is going to be a good place for a cop convict, let alone one convicted of killing someone he was arresting, though.

Not that he's likely to win any kind of appeal regardless, either.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

Actually, that begs the question: if you take a plea deal, does that limit your ability to appeal the decision later? If so, then it would make it pointless for him to appeal the state conviction, unless he prefers federal prison to state prison.

I don't think either is going to be a good place for a cop convict, let alone one convicted of killing someone he was arresting, though.

Not that he's likely to win any kind of appeal regardless, either.
    At the federal level I'm not 100%, but you can appeal to withdraw your guilty plea. Not sure if there are limitations on how long you have for this or anything.

Either way, it's dumb as shit and just another example of our flawed legal system failing to actually deliver justice.

Concurrent sentences should eliminate "time off for good behaviour"...he should have to spend every single second of the maximum sentence.

I mean, he doesn't and he won't...but he should.

Or, at the very least...if he gets to serve two sentences at once... his behaviour should have to be at least twice as good. Not just a model inmate...an exemplary one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Was gonna say the same; it means if one conviction's voided or reduced for any reason, that doesn't affect the other.

You'd need to be able to produce solid evidence, and not just a "but I'm telling you it's true" claim, that you were somehow forced into that plea deal unethically.

If you've been held in an interrogation room without pause or food or water for 18-32 hours and constantly harassed until you give in just to make it stop, for instance; that'd be actual solid evidence. There's basically zero indication Chauvin was under any such pressure, though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You'd need to be able to produce solid evidence, and not just a "but I'm telling you it's true" claim, that you were somehow forced into that plea deal unethically.
    That would still just trigger another trial, though, not a vacation of the charges. And sentencing in a second trial, especially after retracting a plea, might not get sentenced so... concurrently.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you've been held in an interrogation room without pause or food or water for 18-32 hours and constantly harassed until you give in just to make it stop, for instance; that'd be actual solid evidence.
    Unfortunately, it isn't. Confessions made under those circumstances are upheld all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Unfortunately, it isn't. Confessions made under those circumstances are upheld all the time.
    I said grounds for an appeal, not grounds for it being voided without examination. Confessions in such circumstances are thrown out on appeal all the time, too. Not as often as they should be, definitely, but it happens.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that concurrent sentencing is appropriate in this case as they are both punishments for essentially the same event? I obviously agree he's a piece of shit, but 20 years is still a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that concurrent sentencing is appropriate in this case as they are both punishments for essentially the same event? I obviously agree he's a piece of shit, but 20 years is still a long time.
    Then why bother with additional charges? It's the equivalent of telling a middle schooler that cutting class "is going on your permanent record" which uh...ok?

Also, you can commit multiple, individual crimes during "essentially the same event". Just because you shot someone doesn't mean you also won't be charged for stealing money from people too. Those are two different crimes, even if they were part of the same "event".