Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I personally don't see anything wrong with that but it is a trick to get more $$.
    To be clear, i would like yes or no answer if possible.

You dont see anything wrong with tricks designed to trick others into spending cash?

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    All of them. That's the source of their revenue.
    Even Veritasium, who doesn't do games, he even did a video on why he does it, because it works.
    I really think that's a highly cynical take on things. I will agree that people who don't typically cover video games and have never played Immortal are probably using click bait stuff, but there are plenty of people who do normally cover video games that have already reached max level giving honest reviews and complaining about the paywall they're encountering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I really think that's a highly cynical take on things. I will agree that people who don't typically cover video games and have never played Immortal are probably using click bait stuff, but there are plenty of people who do normally cover video games that have already reached max level giving honest reviews and complaining about the paywall they're encountering.
    Simple, if you cant discredit what they are saying attack them. Fools would not see a difference.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The way the game works is not a subjective opinion. It is a fact.
    The way you think the game works or more importantly intentionally designed to work (you need to prove exploitation) - is your fucking subjective opinion.
    You tell me: What is the design purpose of loot boxes that you can spend literally $10,000+ on and not get the thing you need?
    Let me fix your question by removing subjective shit:
    "What is the design purpose of loot boxes"
    To give random items out of the loot box's loot table.

E.G. Boss in WoW raids is a loot box, Kinder Surprize is a loot box, all TCGs with booster packs - booster pack is a loot box.

In some games you can buy them directly with in-game currency or real money

It is designed to delay the players from getting all the items they need (because then there will be no reason to play) and in some games to promote trading of items.

But you don't need to. Well in games. You kinda need to in TCG, but at the very least every item is a card and you can trade them.

In f2p games it's one of the sources of revenue for players who don't want to grind the items the classical way.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Only those that are targeting your demographic, same as with anybody.
    Well, other than ads for food hitting me at bad times of the day, I'm extremely unlikely to buy anything based on an ad.

Not because I'm immune to suggestion, but mostly because...well, I don't buy much of anything to begin with. And when I do, I'm a big dumb nerd about it and sit there figuring out value and numbers and whatever. I've been described as a bit of a miser.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The $100 one is the highest package. From what I understand their point was you can't buy in multiples of 50 which kicks in the bad luck protection. So in order to get that bad luck protection when buying you have to buy the $100 currency package plus another currency package. I personally don't see anything wrong with that but it is a trick to get more $$. Though I'm not sure if they publicize the bad luck protection in-game so it isn't one a customer would fall for out of ignorance.
    You can read about the bad luck protection in the shop, alongside the % chances you have for each "version" of the 5* gem while using a crest.

Afaik (and I'm not sure because I haven't played the game forever) SWOTOR allows you to just buy the specific amount you are missing when you need premium currency for something.
    It's really done on purpose, and even if 95% don't fall for it, some people do.
    Put enough confusing shit in your game, and eventually every paying customer will fall for something. That's how D:I and other gacha games work.

People thinking the BP is a "good deal" for example... they think it's a good deal because the prices are just enormous
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-06-09 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Maybe, but no one watches them, you can't even name one. They are lost in the abyss. That's the reason all successful streamers use clickbait - they cannot NOT to.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The way you think the game works or more importantly intentionally designed to work (you need to prove exploitation) - is your fucking subjective opinion.

Let me fix your question by removing subjective shit:
    "What is the design purpose of loot boxes"
    To give random items out of the loot box's loot table.

E.G. Boss in WoW raids is a loot box, Kinder Surprize is a loot box, all TCGs with booster packs - booster pack is a loot box.

In some games you can buy them directly with in-game currency or real money

It is designed to delay the players from getting all the items they need (because then there will be no reason to play) and in some games to promote trading of items.

But you don't need to. Well in games. You kinda need to in TCG, but at the very least every item is a card and you can trade them.

In f2p games it's one of the sources of revenue for players who don't want to grind the items the classical way.
    I think we both know why you made up a different question rather than answering the one I asked. When someone asks you a tough question that breaks your entire argument, just say "How about I answer this instead?" Real constructive, real intellectual, real mature.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we both know why you made up a different question rather than answering the one I asked. When someone asks you a tough question that breaks your entire argument, just say "How about I answer this instead?" Real constructive, real intellectual, real mature.
    You asked a loaded question, that's a logical fallacy. I unloaded it. Don't like the answer? Figures. Also yes, maturity is real.

Says the guy that hasn't had an argument other than equating Diablo to AIDS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    To be clear, i would like yes or no answer if possible. You dont see anything wrong with tricks designed to trick others into spending cash?
    What is more clear then "I don't see anything wrong with that"? Buying for bad luck protection is making a choice to do so. I see nothing wrong with tricks to encourage more sales whether it is in the grocery store or a video game. Most games exist to make money. Even games that don't have cash shops still employ tricks to encourage people to play and then get their friends/others to play as well.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You asked a loaded question, that's a logical fallacy. I unloaded it. Don't like the answer? Figures.
    It is a FACT that DI has loot boxes which you can spend $10,000+ on without getting the item you need.

I'm sorry that this FACT is inconvenient for your argument, but FACTS don't magically transform into opinions and logical fallacies and loaded whatever just because they are inconvenient for your horseshit sophistry.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Blizz was totally that company! Right around the same time they were close, personal friends with posters here and they were just the best people who hated money and loved the sound of a baby's laughter.
    I suppose it's kind of endearing in an unhealthy way how many people lost sight of the fact that Blizzard was ever only in this business to make money. Blizzard's PR department did their job well. Now there's a ton of people acting like spurned lovers because their friend didn't turn out to the the thing they imagined. The CR's posting in non-relevant threads just to share their views on silly things was always a part of this strategy.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Says the guy that hasn't had an argument other than equating Diablo to AIDS.
    I provided a fairly comprehensive breakdown of the design of the game and how it manipulates people. It is telling that rather than responding to that post you are still mindlessly rambling about other things.

I'm also sorry that the HIV example was so thoroughly devastating to your argument that if someone makes a choice they can't be a victim. I don't know why you would continue to bring up your embarrassing failure over and over again.
    -ynnady

Oh for the love of...

Lose the stupid dramatic nonsense. Go fight for something worthwhile if you're so goddamned worried about the world. This is a stupid video game, not something of even the slightest import.

It's like listening to someone's grandpa rant about how the world is falling apart because in his day the waiter would never have let his glass empty and that's proof of how everything is going to shit.
    He is right though..

Have to raise the alarm when there is a problem otherwise nothing gets done ever and it is not just video game company using these god awful tactics to make money. Its simply not just about this video game or just a old man ranting.

Average CEO pay in America went up from 2 million to 13 million dollars during a PANDEMIC. It is up 1400% since 1978. Employee's of these same company's average salary went up $3000 during this same period during the pandemic.

Products are worse now then ever before, esp in the video game industry. Everything is about how much money they can make, how fast, cheapest way possible. More pyramid schemes now then ever, see crypto and nfts. AI and Algorithms are brain washing people. This shit that Blizzard is pulling is just taking a P2W brainwashing tactics and amplifying it.

The argument of well if u dont like it dont get it or use it is just not valid anymore. Not in this digital age we are in. All these company's out here slowly boiling frogs so they can get away with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I suppose it's kind of endearing in an unhealthy way how many people lost sight of the fact that Blizzard was ever only in this business to make money. Now there's a ton of people acting like spurned lovers because their friend didn't turn out to the the thing they imagined.
    Blizzard's business model used to be to make great games and release them with incredibly high levels of polish. To act like this garbage is just the same thing they have always done is absurd.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a FACT that DI has loot boxes which you can spend $10,000+ on without getting the item you need.
    Dude, it is a fact that any game with lootboxes has lootboxes and you can open a million of them - and not get what you WANT. Drop the need. You are not starving for pixels.

Elon Musk can drop all his money on lootboxes in DI and not get the item he wants. It is in the realm of possibility. Because RANDOM.
    I'm sorry that this FACT is inconvenient for your argument, but FACTS don't magically transform into opinions and logical fallacies and loaded whatever just because they are inconvenient for your horseshit sophistry.
    This fact is irrelevant. You are saying lootboxes are bad because random.

Go buy or clear a raid and get your loot already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard's business model used to be to make great games and release them with incredibly high levels of polish. To act like this garbage is just the same thing they have always done is absurd.
    Well, I didn't say anything like that did I? As a matter of fact, I never mentioned the quality of the games at all.

Just the very clear thing that once upon a time many of Blizzard's customers thought they were gods walking the earth and are now upset to find out that it's been about the money all along.

Summary: Don't make up lies about what others are saying.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Dude, it is a fact that any game with lootboxes has lootboxes and you can open a million of them - and not get what you WANT. Drop the need. You are not starving for pixels.

Elon Musk can drop all his money on lootboxes in DI and not get the item he wants. It is in the realm of possibility. Because RANDOM.

This fact is irrelevant. You are saying lootboxes are bad because random.

Go buy a clear a raid and get your loot already.
    No, I'm saying loot boxes with power gains that comes from infinitely small drop chances are bad. You just want to make it about the generic loot boxes because deep down, under all your ego and sophistry and bloviating, you know that these particular loot box model is indefensible.

Even a player with a battle pass will take an average of fifty years to find one 5 star gem, so it is functionally impossible unless you spend money. Then, if you do spend money, it is a 1 in 2000 chance of getting it, which is low enough to mean that getting those gems would cost tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars ON AVERAGE.

I know that you are incapable of speaking any language other than horseshit, so proceed to ignore everything I said and talk about loot boxes generically again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Well, I didn't say anything like that did I? As a matter of fact, I never mentioned the quality of the games at all.

Just the very clear thing that once upon a time many of Blizzard's customers thought they were gods walking the earth and are now upset to find out that it's been about the money all along.

Summary: Don't make up lies about what others are saying.
    You actually did quite explicitly say the company was only about making money all along. They clearly were not, because they spent a decade being the place that prioritized quality over cash grabs.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm saying loot boxes with power gains that comes from infinitely small drop chances are bad.
    I killed a boss and didn't got the powerful item with a very low drop chance, which I NEED, and I paid the sub! What gives, Blizz?