Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anyone else think Arthas’ end was meh

They could have made it a big deal if they wanted to, but I guess in some ways it was fitting.

Cuz who even is he anymore? A human prince turned evil knight, and I forget the order but he loses his heart in the fight with Illidan and then has to fuse with Ner’zhul once the Frozen Throne cracks.

Also in the after-Anduin cinematic, I don’t understand about Kingsmourne, that wasn’t a blade we ever fought before, right? I don’t understand why they say the blade was forged with valor and honor.

Actually so it’s also not clear to me why Arthas’ soul is in Kingsmourne at all.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the implication is that they took shalamayne and the Jailer used the Primus' design for Frostmourne to infuse Arthas' soul into it to create Kingsmourne to dominate Anduin. I don't know if it was laid out that plainly through all the little cutscenes and quest text but that seemed pretty apparent.

But yes. A "meh" ending indeed. Most charismatic villain in the warcraft universe and he just kinda "disappears."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Kingsmourne was a reforged Shalamayne using Arthas' soul. Shalamayne was the sword that Varian used that Anduin took up after his father's death.

Pretty much what others said regarding the blade: there's a cutscene where Zovaal forges a soul into the blade (it's the same one he gets news about Denathrius' defeat), and we find out during the fight that it was Arthas' soul. I actually appreciated the fact that we got to beat on Arthas' soul during the Anduin fight such that by the time the fight is over, there's just nothing left of it. Given that Arthas' story was pretty much wrapped up in Wrath and that he hadn't really been mentioned prior to 9.2, it seems a fitting way of acknowleding him without making him a focus (ala Lady Vashj, Kael'thas, Draka, Vol'jin, or even Huln Highmountain).

The entire story around Uther, Devos and Arthas was meh.

Not making a big deal out of it was one of the few good decisions in the expansion. They'd already wrapped up his story in Wrath, focusing on the effects he's had on those still alive long after he's gone is one of the few bits of subtlety they managed.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

5+ Year Old Account
    It’s just a distorted reference to legend of King Arthur and his sword. He was pretty fun when he was a Lich King. I liked his voice. As a paladin he was just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    The entire story around Uther, Devos and Arthas was meh.
    Couldn’t disagree more, I lived the Uther / Kyrian questline.

Now….Arthas never actually died did he? He def appears undead. I’ve played most Bluzz products except Frozen Throne, so I don’t know how the melding went down.

How does the Jailer have Varian’s sword? Varian dies fighting Gul’dan at the beginning of Legion.

IMO the biggest lore flub in Shadowlands is fddghhc ing Pelagos as the Arbiter, which I just despise and he looks so stupid.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

i think everyone was expecting an arthas cameo this expansion. but it would have been better to not do it instead of the one we got.

arthas not being in the sword but just somewhere in the maw would have been better, and then uther and arthas having a heart to heart talk to resolve their 20 year storyline could have been really good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Now….Arthas never actually died did he? He def appears undead. I’ve played most Bluzz products except Frozen Throne, so I don’t know how the melding went down.
    he cuts out his own heart somewhere before/during the wrath storyline. therer is a big questchain about it in icecrown. but my personal guess is that he simply died out in icecrown before returning to lordaeron to kill his father, probably just from exposure, doubt he did it himself in some ritual at that point.

How does the Jailer have Varian’s sword? Varian dies fighting Gul’dan at the beginning of Legion.
    you haven't seen anduin using it ever since? heck even saurfang used it to beat up sylvanas at the end of BFA. (there is an alliance quest to recover it in broken shore or something too.)
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2022-06-15 at 09:48 AM.

Arthas died during the Icecrown Citadel raid. Prior to that there's no specific lore point where he died, to my knowledge, though he was already showing signs of deterioration before he took up Frostmourne (such as not shivering in the freezing temperatures of Northrend). It's likely his physical body deteriorated into undeath while he went insane in the frozen after killing Mal'ganis, though I don't think he was ever formally raised.

Anduin reclaimed it in Legion, used it through BfA, and had it on his person when the Mawsworn Kyrian abducted him. Presumably the Jailer removed it from Anduin after his capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Arthas died during the Icecrown Citadel raid. Prior to that there's no specific lore point where he died, to my knowledge, though he was already showing signs of deterioration before he took up Frostmourne (such as not shivering in the freezing temperatures of Northrend). It's likely his physical body deteriorated into undeath while he went insane in the frozen after killing Mal'ganis, though I don't think he was ever formally raised.
    I'd say he was very much dead/undead when he ripped off his own heart.

WotLK ending was decent, having Terenas hold him in his hands and Arthas seemingly being ''freed'' from being the Lich King was emotional and felt like his character arc was completed. Shadowlands completely screwed it up by making his cameo be all about Sylvanas. At least Uther and Jaina should have been able to have a small conversation with what remained of Arthas. Then again Shadowlands is filled with all kinds of wasted potential.

Arthas was a true hero willing to do what is needed for his kingdom. Blizzard fucked him hard in Shadowlands. He did nothing wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    They could have made it a big deal if they wanted to, but I guess in some ways it was fitting.

Cuz who even is he anymore? A human prince turned evil knight, and I forget the order but he loses his heart in the fight with Illidan and then has to fuse with Ner’zhul once the Frozen Throne cracks.
    Not really.

He was used as a reflection point in Shadowlands. Arthas already had his end in Wrath of the Lich King. He was not meant to have more points after that, other than being reflected upon. What I am sad about, was the lack of Uther at the last moment of the final fragment of Arthas disappearing.

Also in the after-Anduin cinematic, I don’t understand about Kingsmourne, that wasn’t a blade we ever fought before, right? I don’t understand why they say the blade was forged with valor and honor.

Actually so it’s also not clear to me why Arthas’ soul is in Kingsmourne at all.
    Kingsmourne was the blade forged for Anduin out of Shalamayne, his father's blade, and the soul of Arthas Menethil. Anduin upon being freed, restored Shalamayne to its rightful self (Which is the weird thing). A Mournblade needs a soul to be made. Like Frostmourne held a soul.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2022-06-15 at 10:58 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

There is one thing I will not forgive them, who had the last word with him...
    Uther? His mentor, who taught him the ways of the Light and almost a father-like figure? Nooo...
    Jaina? His lover? The one he missed most for almost his entire life? Nooo...

It's fucking Windrunner who says that he should be forgotten. XD
    Last edited by Eazy; 2022-06-15 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen a single person who was satisfied with Arthas' ending in SL. It's either meh,sucked or horrible. Never seen anyone say "what a great ending!".

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally like it when megalomaniacs are given unceremonious endings, but I guess that's an unpopular opinion.

I think this ending, just sort of reinforcing that his time is over, was probably better than bringing him back with agency to, what? Apologize? Save the day and redeem himself? Lash out one last time? Usurp the Jailer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I didn't consider Arthas' Shadowlands cameo to be an "end," really; his story concluded in WotLK satisfactorily enough. His presence in Shadowlands is pretty much the barest whisper of an echo, a final wisp of an already vanquished character.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    You mean a key character in a pivotal plot point that drove the primary story arc shouldn't have been just a fart in the wind?
    They could have at least given us a cheesy cutscene of Anduin breaking Arthas' hold on him, since a fragment of his soul was in the sword and, from my understanding, the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of domination (more than force ghost dads putting their hands on his shoulder).
    If his soul was so relevant... prove it.
    Because to me, it looked like a terribly cheap plot device for nothing but shock and awe at the cost of using and abusing one of WoW's most notable villains whose end came like 12ish years ago.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I think it was great!

He died atop of Icecrown, with frostmourne being shattered...

the end..

THE

END!!!

Anything after that involving Arthas is just a fanfic of some madman