Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will give you a shocking spoiler. No matter how many GPUs Nvidia will produce, they all will get insta bought out and scalped at 50% margin the least.

Thinking that somehow this time it's going to be different is pure high grade copium.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Thinking that somehow this time it's going to be different is pure high grade copium.
    Yyyuuuuup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Could say the very same about Jaystwocents(which you quoted earlier). You didn't watch the vid, so you don't even know what they did. Just gonna put this there, how does one fact check the price on Newegg? Are they lying about the price they put on their page?
    Uhh.. wat? Im not talking about this specific video, which is purely opinion (as was Jays on the topic). Im talking about any of their non-opinion videos. Theyre fucking awful. They frequently do "head to head" testing on test beds that are totally different. They are fucking clownshoes. Jay, at least, shows you exactly what he's doing before testing.

Not that i generally rely on Jay... i go with GN.

Think we atribute the quote of producing 4x than previous launch to Nvidia PR.
    No, we attribute it to their shareholder reports and in the case of both Jay and GN, contacts they have inside the AiB partner companies. They cant lie on their shareholder reports. If they do, thats real, federal pounded in the ass prison. And be sure theyll go to jail, because if you screw over the uber rich shareholders, they will use their influence to screw you to the wall.

From what I remember supply chain was utterly broken back then with planes not flying(because of Covid)
    Then your memory is shit because there were no Covid travel restrictions or lockdowns until several months after they launched. They launched in Sept/October and lockdowns didn't start (even in CHina) until late December.

Etherium also wasn't trading well until well into the following year (which made the "paying about 1100$ for a 3080" scalped price into "paying well over 2,000$ for a GPU" prices).

and containers costing a lot more and being full. So that might have resulted in not having GPUs.
    It did not, at least at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    Not likely with nvidia having purchased fab capacity volume way over what they need now. If anything its looking like there will be significant overcapacity on 4k series as well. Which likely means prices are going to drop to current gen MSRP levels even for next gen GPUs. Unless they find another buyer for that 5nm fab capacity with TSMC and that doesn't seem likely.
    I might be wrong, prices for 4k series might even be at MSRP, but judging by the price of the brand new GTX 1630 MSRP will be higher, much higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I might be wrong, prices for 4k series might even be at MSRP, but judging by the price of the brand new GTX 1630 MSRP will be higher, much higher.
    From 10 series to 20 series was already a super high spike, and from 20 series to 30 series it was up a bit albeit less of an increase.
    I don't think they can sell these things at much more than than the current gen cards are going for now tbh.

I mean in the initial rush maybe they can, but I can tell you I'm not paying over 950 bucks for a 4080. Absolutely no shot

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

Uhh.. wat? Im not talking about this specific video, which is purely opinion (as was Jays on the topic). Im talking about any of their non-opinion videos. Theyre fucking awful. They frequently do "head to head" testing on test beds that are totally different. They are fucking clownshoes. Jay, at least, shows you exactly what he's doing before testing.

Not that i generally rely on Jay... i go with GN.
    I don't really blindly trust anyone. In this case there was no missleading benching data, because they were looking at market prices. And for that fact GN does agree on there being an oversupply on 30-series currently.

Then your memory is shit because there were no Covid travel restrictions or lockdowns until several months after they launched. They launched in Sept/October and lockdowns didn't start (even in CHina) until late December.
    December 2019 is when first covid case was officially found.. 30-series was announced in September 2020 and by that time there were virtually no passenger flight around the world because everything was on lockdown and that lead to supply chains going to hell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    The 1630 literally makes no sense as a card, so I wouldn't compare to it.

I think at some point people should stop trying to chase after their own shadow.

Now is ok time to build, GPU prices are low, new gen will still take some time to come and current gen GPUs are already powerful AF.

Sure you can wait lets say another half a year for new gen and then get stuck with low supply, high prices another half a year and then have remorse because new new gen is coming "soon", it's a never-ending cycle and IMO it's just fine to cut it at some point and go for it.

The reality if you grab something alongside 3070/3080 now, you can rest assured that GPU will be good enough for 3-4 years to come anyway, unless you are 4k max fps max quality crackhead - then you never will be happy anyway.
    Yeah, the idea is if you don't "absolutely" need an upgrade right now then wait. If you "absolutely" need an upgrade right now than do it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    It seems like there are a TON of "sales" going on, although I suspect that some of those are displaying a "normal price" that's way higher than it actually should be. Still, Prime Day(s) is going on, and it sure looks like Best Buy, Dell, and other online sellers are doing some pretty massive deals right now.

I'm not sure what's really even possible with $1500 anymore (we've basically seen the equivalent of 7 years of inflation, just in the past year), but I figured I'll let people way smarter than me let me know?

My HOPE would be something that to include the following:

- Torrent Fractal case (fan-cooling only; had a bad experience with liquid cooling a few years back, and this got glowing reviews from GamersNexus)

- Two SSD's (one for the OS, so could be way smaller), an additional HDD might not be bad (just for "other files" that aren't gaming-related)

- RTX 3080 would obviously be pretty sweet, but assuming I'd be lucky to get a 3070

- 32gb RAM

The goal would be gaming and streaming, and some video-editing, if that plays a role.

I'm assuming this would be a pretty lofty goal to try and accomplish, or maybe even completely unrealistic?

I would say, I don't HAVE to build it today, if you think a GPU could realistically be found at a better price? But since I'm not super tech-savvy, I wouldn't want to leave anything else up in the air.

And if that build IS just completely unrealistic for that budget, then no worries, just let me know. I'm honestly not PERSONALLY in any sort of rush, but with all the deals I've been seeing online (and I just bought two new monitors myself), I thought I would see if I should pull the trigger on building a PC.
    It's not sales, but it seems the supply chain is keeping up well and the retailers have parts at msrp.

Kagthul's builds are damn good if you have a firm $1500 budget.

Again if you think you absolutely need to build a new pc now, then do it. Otherwise, be patient.

As others have said there's going to be a flood of graphics cards from crypto farms, you may be able to get a deal there if you want to play that game in the secondhand market. Otherwise, since cards are at around msrp, i would prefer to go with a new card, and have the full warranty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Yeah, the idea is if you don't "absolutely" need an upgrade right now then wait. If you "absolutely" need an upgrade right now than do it now.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not sales, but it seems the supply chain is keeping up well and the retailers have parts at msrp.

Kagthul's builds are damn good if you have a firm $1500 budget.

Again if you think you absolutely need to build a new pc now, then do it. Otherwise, be patient.

As others have said there's going to be a flood of graphics cards from crypto farms, you may be able to get a deal there if you want to play that game in the secondhand market. Otherwise, since cards are at around msrp, i would prefer to go with a new card, and have the full warranty.
    We haven't even had an announcement of the 4000 series. We've had indications for board partners that they want delays.
    The best leaks I've heard puts it at Q4 release dates for the 4080/90, so 4+ months away. I don't see a reason to wait unless you were gonna buy them when they release anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The 1630 literally makes no sense as a card, so I wouldn't compare to it.
    Its the replacement for GT 1030, and the GT 730 before it.

its the "i need more video outs and could use some decoding muscle for video" card, just like the 1030 before it and the 730 before that.

I will give you a shocking spoiler. No matter how many GPUs Nvidia will produce, they all will get insta bought out and scalped at 50% margin the least.

Shocking spoiler, this isn’t true. I’ve procured 3 different 3080+ gpus at msrp or lower in the last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    We haven't even had an announcement of the 4000 series. We've had indications for board partners that they want delays.
    The best leaks I've heard puts it at Q4 release dates for the 4080/90, so 4+ months away. I don't see a reason to wait unless you were gonna buy them when they release anyway
    I was saying wait for the next launch, just saying push off an upgrade/build until you actually need it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    Shocking spoiler, this isn’t true. I’ve procured 3 different 3080+ gpus at msrp or lower in the last 2 weeks.
    I think he meant when the rtx 4000 series releases.

I was saying wait for the next launch, just saying push off an upgrade/build until you actually need it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he meant when the rtx 4000 series releases.
    3k series was a somewhat unique confluence of events. Many things have changed since then and the supply should be higher at launch. Getting a card won’t be as impossible even if it’s still difficult. But it’s always difficult at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now is still easily the best time to upgrade in the last 18+ months though. Obviously don't waste money if you don't need to, but people have been waiting years to upgrade already shouldn't be told "oh just wait until next upgrade cycle" when we don't even know when that is. Might as well say to wait for the rtx 6000 series or whatever for all the relevance it has

short version: there is never the ideal time to build a system, because ALWAYS there is waiting new tech next door.

but especially now, since absurd generic price increases added recently to the already problematic market, that exists anyway since 2-3 years, it’s really not a good point in time now, imo. but it not seems to get better the next 1-2 years. my opinion: if you don’t need a new PC in urgent, i would wait a bit (0,5-0,75 years), so things can settle and it’s a bit more clear how the market goes. i would have a look in jan/feb 2023, when authm2022 tech finally is released and winter/xmas2022 sales are over. but that’s maybe just me.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2022-07-22 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    Hes referring to the upcoming 4000 series launch, not right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    short version: there is never the ideal time to build a system, because ALWAYS there is waiting new tech next door.

but especially now, since absurd generic price increases added recently to the already problematic market, that exists anyway since 2-3 years, it’s really not a good point in time now, imo. but it not seems to get better the next 1-2 years. my opinion: if you don’t need a new PC in urgent, i would wait a bit (0,5-0,75 years), so things can settle and it’s a bit more clear how the market goes. i would have a look in jan/feb 2023, when authm2022 tech finally is released and winter/xmas2022 sales are over. but that’s maybe just me.
    …eh… wat? Prices are back to MSRP or even lower, at least in most markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Hes referring to the upcoming 4000 series launch, not right now.

- - - Updated - - -

…eh… wat? Prices are back to MSRP or even lower, at least in most markets.
    yep, that’s right ofc. i should it say otherwise: at the moment we have some (now even lowered) price X for 1 fps. maybe, with next generation on horizon, we get a lower price X per 1 fps (ofc more expensive cards in total, but with some better relations) since they adopt to actual lower prices with more effective cards. don’t know how to tell in english. what i wanna say is, the price/power relation maybe gets better with the next generation.