Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    so 48million punitive? with 4 on top?

this is case 1 of 3 right?
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/08...smid=url-share

Source.

So combined, that's close to $50M.

Edit: Homeboy is worth $270M? Man, those "non-soy" health supplements with soy in them and those shitty bumper stickers pay good.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-08-05 at 09:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Source.

Even though it was a easy ride for the lawyer, dude deserves every penny he gets for style points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

50 eh? That number is higher than the IQ of anyone thinking this guy is a poet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Source.

Edit: Homeboy is worth $270M? Man, those "non-soy" health supplements with soy in them and those shitty bumper stickers pay good.
    Texas has caps on punitive damage so he's not paying close to $50m

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/08/texa...famation-case/

In reaction to the $42 million punitive verdict tonight, Roger Stone goes on InfoWars and makes an urgent plea for cash: “Alex Jones is a good and decent man. He’s a God-fearing christian .. and right now, he needs our support.” https://t.co/DNZBnDS9e2
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...TSIxY5T6w&s=19

I just love the grift!

Two things. 1) Some person donated $5 million in Bitcoin just this week, Jones cried being poor. 2) Jones is likely over $100 million net worth.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

OJ Simpson still owes the family members of his alleged victims about 33 million, he paid off 135k ish in all those decades since the verdict. He got to live off his meager 25k a month NFL pension, no way he can pay up. The Question is whether or not Alex can hide his money as well as OJ. I hope not.

He can't sell products anymore without them taking a large cut. OJ's book's rights are not his anymore but belong to the people that are owed the millions (It doesn't sell so it doesn't help)
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2022-08-06 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Texas has caps on punitive damage so he's not paying close to $50m

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/08/texa...famation-case/
    Pretty much this. The other cases are in connecticut which limits punitive damages even more than texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah...$49 million total.

There's going to be appeals and such.

It could be awhile before the plaintiffs collect anything. Jones’ lead attorney, Andino Reynal, told the judge he will appeal and ask the courts to drastically reduce the size of the verdict.

After the hearing, Reynal said he thinks the punitive amount will be reduced to as little as $1.5 million.

’We think the verdict was too high. ... Alex Jones will be on the air today, he’ll be on the air tomorrow, he’ll be on the air next week. He’s going to keep doing his job holding the power structure accountable.”
    I don't know on what evidence Jones' lawyer thinks he'll get that figure reduced, other than "we just don't want to pay". They asked for under $300,000 no really they did. But yes, it'll be a while before Jones' victims see any of that money.

It'll be interesting to see what the other two juries say, now that $50 million is splashed across every headline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't know on what evidence Jones' lawyer thinks he'll get that figure reduced, other than "we just don't want to pay".
    The super abundant evidence that Texas is a state governed by malicious idiots who shouldn't be allowed on a student council, much less a state government.

Texas has absurd "tort reform" laws limiting damage awards.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Finally. What an asshole who profits from running his mouth. No skills whatsoever.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Finally. What an asshole who profits from running his mouth. No skills whatsoever.
    God I love your name.

In an article that is no surprise to anyone, MTG claims that "They should be paid millions." instead of Alex Jones having to pay for basically lying about others.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/marjor...y-us-millions/

Marjorie Taylor Greene Claims Alex Jones is ‘Politically Persecuted,’ Says ‘Democrats and Liars in The Media’ Should ‘Pay Us Millions’

During the Conservative Political Action Conference in Dallas, Texas on Friday, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) discussed Infowars owner Alex Jones’s defamation trial, claiming that he is being unfairly targeted.

Earlier this week, Jones was ordered to pay $4.1 million in compensatory damages to the parents of a boy murdered in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The court had already found Jones liable for defamation in a default judgment last year. The punitive damages phase of Jones’s trial began on Friday.

Following the judgment ordering Jones to pay $4.1 million in damages, the Infowars owner begged his followers to purchase his products in order to help him financially. Jones claimed that Infowars is facing “bankruptcy right now.”

“We’re maxed out,” he said in an appeal to his platform.

At CPAC, Greene argued that although Jones has “said some things,” he is being “politically persecuted” and “being forced to pay out millions and millions of dollars.”

“No one agrees with what he said,” continued the congresswoman, “but what we’re tired of is the political persecution.”

Greene then flipped the script asking when are the “Democrats, the liars in the media, and the people that canceled all of you and me…going to pay us millions of dollars?” she said quizzically to a round of applause from the audience.

The Georgia congresswoman has promoted conspiracy theories like Jones in the past, including making similar baseless claims about the Las Vegas shooting being a false flag event.

The Infowars founder has supported Greene in the past, telling her just last month that she should run for president in 2024. The congresswoman hinted that it is something she is potentially considering as Jones argued that she is “smarter” than former President Donald Trump.

Just this week, Greene attended the controversial Saudi-backed LIV golf tournament–hosted at Trump’s club in New Jersey–where she was met with crowd chants saying “MTG for VP.” The congresswoman delighted in the attention claiming she was “amazed,” by the support.
    Remember, according to her, he only said "some things."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin quoting a crazy bitch View Post
    “Democrats, the liars in the media, and the people that canceled all of you and me…going to pay us millions of dollars?”
    For...what? Seriously write down and circle the law Democrats broke by cancelling Greene...somehow...and prosecute or sue. Otherwise you're just making shit up.

Seriously there's nothing about what she says that makes sense. She's either crazy, or gunning for the crazy vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Business Insider is taking quite the interest in this case. Three articles:

1) Sandy Hook parents' lawyer says Alex Jones' phone leak contains 'intimate messages with Roger Stone'

"Now when they say 'intimate' do they mean--"

No, thank God.

"Things like Mr. Jones and his intimate messages to Roger Stone are not confidential. They are not trade secrets, none of them," Bankston told a Texas judge after Jones' defense lawyer called for a mistrial in Jones' defamation-damages trial.

Jones' lawyer F. Andino Reynal filed for an emergency motion to protect the contents of Jones' phone that wound up in Bankston's possession.

Bankston disclosed during Thursday's hearing that the House select committee investigating the January 6, 2021, insurrection asked him to turn over the contents of Jones' phone.

"I am under request from various federal agencies and law enforcement to provide that phone. Absent a ruling from you saying, 'You cannot do that Mr. Bankston,' I intend to do so," Bankston told Travis County District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble.
    2) Immediate follow-up: no such order is coming. In fact, the judge seemed to indicate she'd thought the victims' lawyer already had turned them over.

3) A forensic economist testified that Alex Jones began funneling $11,000 per day into an alleged shell company around the time he was found liable by default in defamation suits

Yeah in an ongoing pattern and expanded details that keep emerging, Jones almost certainly knew that he was going to lose and lose big. What's the oddest part is how transparent this is.

Bernard Pettingill, a forensic economist who testified during the defamation damages hearing, said Jones' net worth was unclear due to how little information he provided during litigation.

Bla bla bla stuff we know

Pettingill also claimed that the Infowars host was funneling $11,000 per day into a shell company he controls, with payments beginning in late September 2021. He was found liable by default in the Texas defamation cases around the same time, according to documents obtained by HuffPost on September 30, 2021.

Jones' attorney disputed the claim and said it was a real company that matures when Jones is 74.
    Yeah, making a shell company at almost exactly the same time you stop providing any information as required by law? I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure even I would have caught that one.

Again, I know bankruptcy laws and rules are specific and all, but I really hope all this...comically poor attempts to hide money and then claiming to be broke fail. Endus has a point about using LLCs as a way to do whatever you want and avoid consequences. All it would take is a line or two in case law that says Jones' liability is based on his value when he made those knowingly objectively false, knowingly harmful statements for money and the debts to himself/shell companies stop being a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Jan 6th panel has Alex Jones' phone.

The messages were handed over to the committee by Mark Bankston, the attorney who represented two Sandy Hook parents who successfully sued Jones in Texas and won nearly $50 million in a civil trial that concluded last week.

Bankston would only tell CNN that he is "cooperating with the committee." The select committee declined to comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I believe that Alex Jones and Rudy will have a joint press event at the Alamo to address these implications!

Government Affiliated Snark

Sandy Hook families’ lawyer confirms that a naked photo of Alex Jones’s wife was on his phone, but adds that Alex sent that naked photo of his wife to Roger Stone. https://t.co/LfKnQVXPMh
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s..._HvABbqMg&s=19

I'm sure his current wife approved this.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Sen. Graham and I have a similar arrangement.

Did they sue Alex jones or info wars? Can he file bankruptcy to get out of paying the lawsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s..._HvABbqMg&s=19

Hope it ends up in the national archives, lmao.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Can he file bankruptcy to get out of paying the lawsuit?
    He is trying to do exactly that. Problem is, he's been so ridiculously disingenuous this entire time, that it's unlikely to work.

In theory, bankruptcy officials take complete control of your assets and decide who to give how much, impartially. In theory, if they catch someone trying blatant, obvious dodges like "I owe myself $50 million" those will be pushed to the back of the folder. And worse, Alex Jones has a very poor history of turning over records -- hence his default loss in these 3 lawsuits. If he tries that with bankruptcy filings, he'll go to jail for fraud.