Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    During WotLK I used to think PvP was all about skill, when it was mostly about comp and access to PvE gear.

Which is funny because, fast forward to WoD, I remember the marketing for it went along the lines of "Engage in epic PvP battles where skill is the deciding factor more than ever!". When in reality the victor in RBGs was decided by how many boomkins or warlocks with PvE trinkets were on your team.

Good times regardless, but that e-sports marketing can take a walk.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    "Maybe the WoW community will one day be worth listening to."

Instead we got the likes of Asmongold and Bellular programming toxic cynicism to the masses and insisting that if WoW just becomes a different version of {insert game here} that all of its problems magically disappear.
    Bellular surely lives out of this. He says what brigns him more views.

But Asmongold is not like that at all.

I used to believe that it was fine that open world/solo gameplay didn't have any meaningful progression built into it, back when I believed that trying to entice people into group gameplay was A) good for the game, and B) actually working. I've since realized that people will play the way they want to play, and what's good for the game is making sure that there is a progression path for everyone that feels rewarding.

Another wrong opinion - that it was enough to have honor gear to play BGs and world PVP. Lack of matchmaking or 1vs1 balance turned PVP into non-stop suffering. It was, it is and it will always been about Meta and gear abuse. But it's impossible to implement it some other way in RPG game. Because removing player power progression factor from game and making everybody virtually equal would remove whole RPG aspect from this game.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

15+ Year Old Account
    That the devs had enough integrity to stay faithful to wow's core identity and keep a high quality consistent story.

That the next expansion would be better fix the game, that the devs wouldn't stoop so low as to implement literal skinnerbox manipulation tactics and selling gold and promoting pay to win.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

the misconception Blizzard being a family-and-friends-workplace environment, where happy familiar people produce happy familiar content.

well, calDFEH desillusioned me - Blizzard is an incel asylum. inmidst of the discrimination lawsuit, the Kotick fiascos and the overall flavor of neoliberal patriarchy (eg - Frances F. Townsend for corporate affairs, who came into spotlight by the following: ) Jen Oneal retreated from CEO for the two obvious reasons:
    lesser salary than her co-CEO Mike Ybarra
    no chance to change anything, as female, in workplace culture.

guess what happened next?
    Ybarra presenting himself as Pro-Raider and Booster, offering boosts to Casuals.

incel asylum!
    Last edited by Final Verdict; 2022-09-17 at 10:28 AM.

I proboaly thought negatively about LFG many years ago in some way, but having played classic, tbc, som a bit and now going int wotlk...please give us LFG retail systems etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That they would limit the scenario creation tools, provide them to players with some art assets and scripting IDE so that player generated content could be added to the game after an approval process by Blizzard.

That died when Ghostcrawler left. That was something he speculated they might do someday. That's how he got his start in the biz, making scenarios for Age of Empires. It's still a good idea but Blizzard is too tight-assed to think about it. User generated content has helped out other games. It could surely help this one if handled correctly.
    thats a good one!

i've been saying the exact same thing for years, a tool for players to create their own content, everything from quests, items, mounts...even raids or classes.
    upload that to a special ptr, have players check it out, rate it from 1-10 and every 2~ months blizzard wouldcheckout the highest rated player creations and add them to the game, if they are a good fit.

a total no-brainer for blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    EDIT: One more: That they would eventually realize that throwing complete strangers together with few consequences is a bad thing and hire some people that truly understand how social gaming works. Fail on that one too. We now have a bunch of spreadsheet engineers in charge of the game and most of the relevant teams with all of the creativity and understanding of player psychology that that suggests.
    Hmm my wrong opinion would be the opposite. I used to think that the only way to play WoW is with groups of friends. Yet I've found out that the clear majority of time, PuGs are not that bad. At the end of the day you are in charge of how you socialize.

Don't get me wrong, they could have done so much more to both incentivize social groups and remove tension triggers.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cataclysm will be epic with that cinematic as a front runner"

Yeah, the first and only time I've ever gotten burnt on hype.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    People will respect other people's opinions on either the state of the game and/or how they play the game, both in retail and classic.

I thought warlocks would be more enjoyable to play than they actually are. Haven't changed my opinion on much of anything else over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    There is almost never one single reason as to why something "sucks". Therefore none of those absolute statements is ever going to be correct.
    Yes, this is why the post you are quoting says "one of the reasons", not "the one single reason".

Difficulty.

As a (former) Mythic raider i believed that difficulty is what makes the game good (simplification but you get the gist), but after playing Classic (again) i realized what first got me into WoW wasn't the difficulty but (among other things) the character progression was extremely enjoyable.

That's not to say that LFR is peak WoW experience but that the enjoyment of character progression is greater than the enjoyment of overcoming a challenge - at least longterm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Gatekeeping.

"Everyone need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps." I used to say this in Wrath. Then Cata hit. I hated the dungeons and raids. The steep curve from the puggability of Wrath which was very comfortable even though I missed the need for traps and sheeping in dungeons, to the unforgiving nightmare that was Cata dungeons that gave you no mercy. As a healer it was a nightmare. Your heals hit like a wet sock. Your group ran out of CC all the time and that particular place in Stonecore can go to hell. It wasn't the fun of TBC dungeons that returned, it was something else.
    In Cata I didn't give two shits if some newbie didn't know strat or didn't have the best gear. I helped that guy. Because Cata wasn't fun and I didn't want anyone to hear that nonsense from me.
    That's probably because you (and everyone else) were going into it with Wrath's "pull everything because the healer can make the tank's health go from 0 to 100 in a single global". And as for "running out of crowd control all the time"? That's, again, due to the "WotLK mentality". I never had any problems with CCs in Cata's dungeons, even while still learning the dungeons.

And Stonecore? Path to the first boss: don't let the guy transform into an elemental. Stun/CC and focus it down. Easy. Path to the second boss? Jump as the big elemental is finishing casting his quake ability. Easy. Path to third boss? Stun/root/slow the messenger that patrols from mob group to mob group. Easy. It dies quick and easily. Even a single ranged can one-shot it or at the least kill it fast.

And for someone who didn't like Wrath's heroic dungeons due to their "GoGoGoPullEverythingDontStopNeverStop" mentality, Cataclysm's heroic dungeons pre-nerf where the most fun I had in WoW's dungeons for the longest time, at least until Blizzard added M+.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    That's probably because you (and everyone else) were going into it with Wrath's "pull everything because the healer can make the tank's health go from 0 to 100 in a single global". And as for "running out of crowd control all the time"? That's, again, due to the "WotLK mentality". I never had any problems with CCs in Cata's dungeons, even while still learning the dungeons.

And Stonecore? Path to the first boss: don't let the guy transform into an elemental. Stun/CC and focus it down. Easy. Path to the second boss? Jump as the big elemental is finishing casting his quake ability. Easy. Path to third boss? Stun/root/slow the messenger that patrols from mob group to mob group. Easy. It dies quick and easily. Even a single ranged can one-shot it or at the least kill it fast.

And for someone who didn't like Wrath's heroic dungeons due to their "GoGoGoPullEverythingDontStopNeverStop" mentality, Cataclysm's heroic dungeons pre-nerf where the most fun I had in WoW's dungeons for the longest time, at least until Blizzard added M+.
    pre nerf cata dungeons were fucking fun. we went form facerolling everything with no regards of ever being in danger really, to getting destroyed if more than 4 mobs were pulled or if no cc was applied to a group with two healing adds, miss that interrupt and watch things go south real fast. pre nerf cata dungeons gave the game back that feeling of... wait a minute i cant do that. it was great. sadly the fun was gone in a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with pre-nerf Cata dungeons were, while they were harder compared to WotLK's design and tuning (and a breath of fresh air), many people who were not as geared going into them were getting absolutely wrecked. Bad players and bad groups had no chance, but decent to good players with less-than-decent gear were in nightmares.

Even groups who were playing smart with CC and actual critical thinking during pulls were getting wrecked. There is no denying that. Trash pulls had mechanics that many people chose to ignore or did not fully understand. They were justifiably punishing. The tuning was manageable (and fun) for good players... not for less-than-good players or decent players with shittier gear going into them.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2022-09-17 at 03:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Fuck no. I'm waiting for MoP. Cata can burn in Deathwing's lava tentacle armpits.
    I firmly believe they should probably skip Cata and go right for MoP -- OR (if this is even possible) -- Roll Cata into MoP classic and have Cata stuff just be wet-noodle ezmode leveling dribble before you get to Pandaria and the real classic starts. Basically, nothing more than an acknowledgement that Cata existed and there were some alright moments, but otherwise it's just there to steamroll through on your way to Pandalanda.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The problem with pre-nerf Cata dungeons were, while they were harder compared to WotLK's design and tuning (and a breath of fresh air), many people who were not as geared going into them were getting absolutely wrecked. Bad players and bad groups had no chance, but decent to good players with less-than-decent gear were in nightmares.
    I think it's stuff like this that contributed to the spawning of mythic dungeons. Having only two difficulty settings (one for leveling as normal, one for post-leveling as heroic) made it a pain in the ass to balance. Either they're way too easy for a big chunk of your players or way too hard for a big chunk of your players. With keys at least, now we have a huge array of difficulty to pick from or try.

MOP is going to be a shit expansion. Pandas? Like wtf!

Turns out to be a fantastic expansion. One of my fav

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post

You are a bit unfair here. Because of the changes with healing, most healers struggled to keep a group up without running out of mana. And Ozruk was not at all easy for some classes; not everyone could just drop a DoT on him and get out of his paralyze.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    MOP is going to be a shit expansion. Pandas? Like wtf!

Turns out to be a fantastic expansion. One of my fav
    Have to say when I saw the trailer I was so disappointed but thankfully I changed my mind well before it went live. Thank that Diablo 3 offer for giving us all beta to test it and see how great it was.