Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    hard disagree, wod had one major patch (unless you count selfie camera patch...), and honestly only issue i had with sl was pacing
    Yeah, kinda have to agree on this. SL is higher seated than WoD on my list.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

1)

Past (from Vanilla to MoP):
    „What a great Universe, what great lore, what great books (i read all of them).“

Since WoD:
    „What a cheap shit story. Especially BfA and SL. No longer interessted in that crap.“

What changed my mind?
    The loss of interests in their own product, by ppls at Blizzard. And the arrival of the Danuser Team.

2)

Past (from Vanilla to TBC):
    „What a cool, nerdy community. Interessting, friendly and rational peoples.“

Since WotLK:
    „Oh, the masses arrived. What a bunch of giant morons, egoistic and toxic small-minded peoples.“

What changed my mind:
    The community.

5+ Year Old Account
    When in TBC alliance got shamans.
    It was so Horde specific. Same for paladins.
    But when TBC came out I created a Draenei Shaman. The best years of my playtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    hard disagree, wod had one major patch (unless you count selfie camera patch...), and honestly only issue i had with sl was pacing
    1 good patch >> 2 bad ones. It's better to have little to do, than nothing to do.

WOD had:
    1) Good leveling, very replayable.
    2) No endgame gating >> no reason to rush to endgame via skipping leveling, no FOMO due to missing endgame time-gated CDs
    3) Garrisons - almost players' housing, very immersive, great motivation to play game, reason to log in twice a day, at the same time almost passive, so doesn't cause FOMO
    Only problem - no flying. Fixed in patch 6.2.
    4) Tanaan - great "active" endgame content, takes around 1 hour/day. Very flexible. Varies from 1 daily quest to doing all zones. Great reward structure. RNG rewards, but guaranteed upgrades. No non-soloable content. Perfect difficulty curve. A little bit hard at beginning, easy at the end.

SL has:
    1) Boring story-centric leveling, isn't replayable, everyone wants to skip it.
    2) Hardcore campaign with many "hard" parts, isn't replayable, everyone wants to skip it.
    3) Terrible reward structure. Everything is time-gated behind daily CDs, so it causes lots of FOMO. FOMO anima grind. It's especially bad, when grind is way too overstretched, so it takes months to complete. It's way too long for doing things one after another. And doing things in parallel - is like 2nd job, that causes quick burnout. Gating rewards behind extra grinds, like souls and gifts.
    4) Terrible base endgame mechanics. Dopamine RNG spawns. Non-soloable rares. Counter-intuitive "more players hit rare => slower it dies". Map spam, because player has to get to rare within one minute and it isn't announced. When there are no spawns - player can't even go AFK to do something else. Overall rushed gameplay.
    5) No flying, cluttered locations, flying clutter, too bottlenecked design - all this things make game very tedious and annoying.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2022-09-18 at 01:47 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Wow. You mean... negativity on YouTube is... profitable?!?

Look dude, I don't give a shit about becoming a YouTube billionaire (if I did, I wouldn't have 15k posts on this God forsaken forum) but I don't think expectation for stating an opinion in this thread should be, "Do you have a YouTube channel with millions of subscribers?"
    And one of the big reasons they have that many subscribers is the content and opinions/perspectives they have actually resonate with a LARGE portion of the player base. If you call honest and constructive criticism of a game and its systems is toxic I'd say you're the problem, not them.

Paladin and Shaman should remain faction specific and sharing them with both erodes something in very essence of Warcraft. That's about it what I can think of. Otherwise my opinions have remained pretty consistent over the years, almoust decades soon.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

-That group finder (in LK) would destroy the game, when instead it's the only reason is alive

-that timers like m+ are bad, but actually it's great

-that the average healer or tank is usually more skilled than dps (very much the opposite is true)

Nothing, I've always been right with everything, every post I ever made was true or came true.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    So count you in for Classic Cata, got it.
    Pretty sure they'll stop at WotLK - after WotLK, game started dying drastically. Why release an expac 2+M people quit in?

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Why release an expac 2+M people quit in?
    Easy money.

Thing is, they will not stop, Classic only players very likely makes up a not too insignificant amount of subs, they're just not going to let that audience go.
    Either they double down on that seasonal thing or they release Cata (and then MoP) with more and more changes, the Cata Survey they sent out was rather detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    And one of the big reasons they have that many subscribers is the content and opinions/perspectives they have actually resonate with a LARGE portion of the player base. If you call honest and constructive criticism of a game and its systems is toxic I'd say you're the problem, not them.
    Their boring ass opinions resonate with the portion of the playerbase that doesn't actually play the game anymore and just wants their daily dose of dopamine hearing some balding English bloke read back to them a copy and paste of the hottest take from the top of r/wow's highest updooted post in the last 72 hours. There's nothing constructive about using Blizzard's APIs to try to prove, numerically, that WoW is really (really!) dead this time. It's just pandering to the lowest common denominator and the complete lack of critical thinking in many of these takes is why we end up with so many weapons grade dogshit takes on forums and other places. It seriously dilutes the quality of feedback players are interested in providing because it encourages them to turn their brains off.

I thought, like many at the time, that MoP will be a stupid april fools joke of an expac. Turned out to be my favourite, for many reasons (blessed warlock revmap), but not least of it the lore which was their best till this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Pretty sure they'll stop at WotLK - after WotLK, game started dying drastically. Why release an expac 2+M people quit in?
    We have no way of knowing whether the contrition in subscribers which started in Cataclysm was due to more players quitting or simply fewer players joining. Even said, at the end of Cataclysm the game was still a magnitude of five to ten times more popular than any other MMO that's ever existed so it's pretty silly to think that the only reason they'd stop at WotLK is because "that's when the game started dying."

We have no way of knowing whether the contrition in subscribers which started in Cataclysm was due to more players quitting or simply fewer players joining.
    Probably both? Each person quitting becomes a source of negative word of mouth and ceases to be a "play with your friends" incentive to join, so the first can cause the second.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Probably both? Each person quitting becomes a source of negative word of mouth and ceases to be a "play with your friends" incentive to join, so the first can cause the second.
    Most people who stop playing WoW stop for reasons which have absolutely nothing to do with the state of the game so assuming they become "a source of negative press" is completely absurd.

The main thing that I balk at whenever people use that stupid fucking subscriber graph is that we have no way of knowing how many new WoW players were generated back when WoW was in its period of extreme growth. Just as an example, if WoW was losing 5 million players every quarter but gaining 6 million, the chart would show subscriber growth. But if only 2 million people quit and 1 million joined, you'd see the graph go down. I don't need to be a math wizard to tell you that losing 5 million players is probably a lot worse than only losing 1 million but because that graph doesn't give us this important information it's mostly useless to us. Whenever I see people using that graph they're just assuming their opinion about why all the players quit is the only thing that matters.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2022-09-18 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I don't believe for a minute that more than 1%-2% of anyone and everyone is playing with an actual outside-of-the-game friend at this point. There are still a few of course and perhaps they will speak up but I have to believe that most friends are from inside the game, are very transitory at best as people leave and come back and despite Blizzard's continual touting of this it's not a thing in any way shape or form. Word of mouth outside of small forums like this is a non-existent phenomenon.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

All races will have awesome looking heritage armor someday.

"Maybe the WoW community will one day be worth listening to."

Instead we got the likes of Asmongold and Bellular programming toxic cynicism to the masses and insisting that if WoW just becomes a different version of {insert game here} that all of its problems magically disappear.
    To be fair to bell (i still do not agree with a bunch of stuff him and matt say), he does full on praise ghe dev team a bunch and seems to understand why they did want they did.

Asmongold is just a crybaby.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    "I'm gonna enjoy the shit outta Shadowlands"
    I mean I did and so did every member of my raidteam. Not everyone dislikes shadiwlands. Some actually really enjoy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    All races will have awesome looking heritage armor someday.
    They have said that they are working on this. Art is actually the most time consumming. With the 100 new staff 90% which are artists. It mrans stuff like that should see more turnover.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Nothing, I've always been right with everything, every post I ever made was true or came true.
    Except this one.

That paying $15 each month to play one game was actually good entertainment value.

That was the mentality of a kid who was only really interested in video games and movies at that time so those were the metrics to measure against. Now, with a far broader range of interests and hobbies, the roughly $2,000 spent on that first decade of WoW (prior to WoD and the token) could have been far better spent on other things. It’s easy to see now that WoW is BY FAR one of the most expensive games you could play.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiphon View Post
    The whole idea of having raid difficulties came in Wrath - before that you either killed a boss or you didn't. It was a hefty paradigm shift in raiding and while I personally detested it back then and even now, I can't deny that it was the first and most monumental step in making the game 'accessible'. In line with this philosophy the 'bring the player not the class' encounter design mantra came with Wrath as well. I blame Alythess and Sacrolash.
    It became less accessible. Back then almost anyone could beat the hardest content, now nobody can