Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    You know. I should thank you. If ever there had been any doubt in my mind that I was on the right side of the argument, you have erased it. I know you long enough to be certain that if you are on the side of the mob, then it has to be the wrong side.
    You mean the circa three years of you hijacking a lore dedicated to actual WoW lore to peddle your abject fanfiction no matter how many direct sources are cited to show it for what it is? That "long enough"? Well, that long enough sure is an indication you're so disjointed from reality that you'd pat yourself on the back over how right you are no matter how many people expose how you're spreading complete and utter bullshit in true "No, it's the children who are wrong" Spinner fashion, so this glorious conclusion here is just par for the course.

Apart from the fact that all you do is make assumptions that you cannot in any way prove (something that would be called "a lie" if you were on my side of the argument and not with the pitchfork troop) all you do is insult people. I will write this reply and then I will keep ignoring you as I have been doing in the wow forums.
    I cannot prove that the text of some of these "totally genuine" reviews contain trite misinformation about the show that just so happens to have been regurgitated from a "certain" part of the Internet or some whining about how an agenda is being shoved down their throat, even though they are publicly available on reviewing sites? Riveting tale you got there. About as convincing as the time where you tried to convince everyone that the show hates you for being a man and tries to emasculate you with events that totally happened (but not really) like Jen winning against Bruce in rock throwing in episode one.

Do you know the phrase "Cui Bono"? In english it would be about "who profits?". If you ask yourself who profits from the hatred and disinformation that those Twitter accounts spew, then you would quickly realize that the benefitiaries are
    1) Marvel/Disney, who can pretend that their show is great and only misogynists dislike it, just as they have done with Captain Marvel,
    2) Jessica Gao, who can hide her incompetence and lazyness behind the misogynist argument. "I am right, and the only reason you think I am wrong is because you hate me and everyone like me! Hater! Hater!". I hope I do not have to explain to you the fallacy of this argument. After all you are the guy that keeps telling other people how shit their arguments are, so you should recognize it.
    Cui bono is actually usually translated as "for whose benefit", not profit. That would be "cui prodest". As to who prodests, as @Ivanstone pointed out, it'd be the kind of YouTubers and other content providers that count on outrage clicks from the kind of people that are deranged enough to convince themselves that a TV show is out to get them for having a penis.

It really does not take any leap in logic to understand this. The alternative is that some people have such a low self esteem, that they have build their entire identity on that show with its runtime of just over an 1,5 hours combined, and thus will spend hours in their basements to create fake posters and stuff just so they can attack the critics. Certainly that is possible, but it is quite sad.
    Ah, I see. So the idea that at least some of the reviews that contain not only false information about the events of the show, but also keep getting spammed in the parts of the Internet that have a teeny tiny issue with women indicates some review bombing going on is merely an assumption that cannot be proven, but the idea that Disney is behind the Twitter accounts leading the war against incel posts against the show is such a surefire hit it doesn't take a leap in logic to get that conclusion. And the alternative to that is the option that the incel posts themselves are from fake accounts created by some low self esteem people.

See, there are some issues with that. First of all, in the first option you're not actually denying the validity of the "incel" posts, it's only the accounts fighting them that are fraudulent ploy by Disney. But your alternative is about how the "incel" accounts are fake. Which makes it no real alternative, as both could then be true at once and evil Disney could be behind the fake accounts attacking the other fake accounts that only pretend to be "incels". So you din't think this through.

Secondly, you left out the possibility that there are indeed incels out there spreading BS about the show in their usual impotent rage. Do you think they are an urban legend, or what? The funny thing here is that what you wrote here describes such people to a T, yet that didn't dawn on you even when you accidentally stumbled on that.

Ah, what a burn. I would almost feel it if I wasn't aware that your constant insults are just a result of your own insecurity. The fact that you are just parroting what this little echo chamber is producing instead of thinking for yourself, is yet another indication. Maybe one day we will have an actual talk, but this is not that day.
    Yes, yes, project harder. Means so much to me. Also, as per usual, it is cute that you think just because more than one person points out the obvious flaws in your barrage of nonsense it must only be they are parroting each other. Sure is convenient to your fantasy that everything that exists, including the people disagreeing with you or even the objective reality disproving your claims, somehow validates your opinion further.

In any case, I think I wasted more then enough time on you and this thread. There is no discussion to be had here. So you are now free to circle jerk to your hearts content.
    Given how you said that a few times in this thread already, yet still come back again and again (like a totally secure person would do), I'll believe it when I see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    Hells, the Family Codex of Russian Federation would be a great example.
    Paragraph 48, point 2 states that, if the child is born 300 standard days later after divorce, then ex-husband is enlisted as a father automatically.
    You might say that it is quite a good paragraph, but the trick is that pregnancy lasts no more than 270 days.
    Which begs the question.
    While there are some countries iffy with recourse for men on proving they are not the father, like France, this bit ain't that. This is just the assumption that the husband (or recently divorced ex-husband) is the father to speed things up, based on the general fact of life that people married to each other have sex with each other at least on occasion. An assumption that can be then disproved. And pregnancies do last more than 270 days. That's kinda why it's in the law. And it's been that case since literally Roman times, as such laws are taken straight from the Roman law and based on the knowledge that such exceptions do sometimes happen. That's also why some legal systems have an assumption going in the other direction, that the father is someone who had sex with the mother at least 180 days before birth, because it's the exception to live births going the other way around.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2022-09-27 at 08:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Oh no, you misunderstood. My degree (as in, what I studied in Uni) is in Economics, not English. I was using the words differently - I have a measure of mastery over English would be a synonymous phrase. Helpful Wikipedia article you linked. I just find it quite hypocritical that someone with just under 17k posts on a fan-made gaming forum would call others out regarding internet media addiction. A bit of "Pot calling the kettle black" action going on here. I mean, my MMO-champion account is as old as yours, and I'm not even close to 1k posts.
    Being terminally online has nothing to do with internet media addiction. It has to do with seeing everything through the lens of internet cultural phenomenon. For example, a terminally online person thinks the dialogue on their Twitter feed is an accurate representation of broader public discourse. It's a form of social and informational insulation that is particularly pernicious because the nature of being online makes someone think they are not insulated.

It's interesting that even after being quite clearly corrected, you have continued to double down on a really bad misunderstanding of the term in order to score what you seem to think is some kind of gotcha, and a particularly weak one when you consider that nobody in my household has even had an account on a social media website in over five years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Turning Red has a specific parable that’s heavily weighted towards women. I haven’t seen it but I doubt it would bother me.

Ms Marvel is not. She’s a gamer nerd with a favourite super hero. It’s pretty easy to insert any poster on this forum into her shoes. I have a medallion from my great-great Grandfather. Maybe it will unlock the old spirits of Gaelic mythology (who are actually from another dimension) and give me super powers (that I really had latently) and then I’ll be a super hero and save the world.
    We all know the people complaining would say the story was "universal" if it was a white dude connecting to his Irish great grandfather. With a s straight face these people are saying that Thor, who is literally based on European mythology, is "universal" compared to a Muslim girl. It's so sad and transparent.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

I think cultural specificity is a great strength of a story. Root a character in a place, in a culture, and be faithful to the details, and they just feel more real than somebody in a generalized place. But as said a lot here, Ms Marvel still has universal appeal, at least for us, because while she's firmly rooted in her reality of being pakistani-american, she's also a huge nerd and fan of superheroes. Me, I thought that was a very nice combo.

Turning red is sorta the same, except the second part of the combo (mother-daughter relationship, boy band, being a teen girl) has very little connection to me. This was actually a huge boon for me, as I did not have to die of shame while watching! (Unlike my friend, who has vividly experienced being both a teen girl and a mom - she also liked the movie, but she said it was tough watching it )

In the end I could connect in parts to turning red, but it was also fascinating because I got to look at a lot of things that aren't me, eg being an immigrant, a teen girl and living in Toronto. (But watchable because it had fun giant panda shenanigans.)

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    I think cultural specificity is a great strength of a story. Root a character in a place, in a culture, and be faithful to the details, and they just feel more real than somebody in a generalized place. But as said a lot here, Ms Marvel still has universal appeal, at least for us, because while she's firmly rooted in her reality of being pakistani-american, she's also a huge nerd and fan of superheroes. Me, I thought that was a very nice combo.
    Even aside from the "geek" stuff, I think she was generally a likeable character that at least had an interesting path.

Turning red is sorta the same, except the second part of the combo (mother-daughter relationship, boy band, being a teen girl) has very little connection to me. This was actually a huge boon for me, as I did not have to die of shame while watching! (Unlike my friend, who has vividly experienced being both a teen girl and a mom - she also liked the movie, but she said it was tough watching it )

In the end I could connect in parts to turning red, but it was also fascinating because I got to look at a lot of things that aren't me, eg being an immigrant, a teen girl and living in Toronto. (But watchable because it had fun giant panda shenanigans.)
    I was like ten minutes in, when the mother was driving to the store to yell at the guy. I think it was mostly the voice drilling into my brain, but the standard "something easily fixed with a sentence isn't fixed during a twenty minute drive" thing was enough that I didn't care anymore. Maybe I'll give it another try before my D+ lapses, but not a big deal if I miss it.

Not that I meant to derail this into a Turning Red debate either, of course.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Even aside from the "geek" stuff, I think she was generally a likeable character that at least had an interesting path.
    yeah, Kamala's character was definitely the best(if not sole) point of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Being terminally online has nothing to do with internet media addiction. It has to do with seeing everything through the lens of internet cultural phenomenon. For example, a terminally online person thinks the dialogue on their Twitter feed is an accurate representation of broader public discourse. It's a form of social and informational insulation that is particularly pernicious because the nature of being online makes someone think they are not insulated.

It's interesting that even after being quite clearly corrected, you have continued to double down on a really bad misunderstanding of the term in order to score what you seem to think is some kind of gotcha, and a particularly weak one when you consider that nobody in my household has even had an account on a social media website in over five years.
    Sure thing man, you do you. Just don't pretend you're not unhealthily obsessed with this website, cause numbers, unlike words, cannot lie. Seriously, with the amount of time you've spent writing 17k posts you could've...I dunno, reached gold-cap, learnt a new language, picked up a new hobby, you name it. Look at other people in this thread with similar 10+year old accounts as yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure thing man, you do you. Just don't pretend you're not unhealthily obsessed with this website, cause numbers, unlike words, cannot lie. Seriously, with the amount of time you've spent writing 17k posts you could've...I dunno, reached gold-cap, learnt a new language, picked up a new hobby, you name it. Look at other people in this thread with similar 10+year old accounts as yours.
    What about us? lol
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What about us? lol
    You WILL be judged for how you spend your free time!

*looks at his own post count*

God dammit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post count envy's an ugly thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Ah yes, the leader of posting appears again. You kinda get a pass cause you used to be a mod, but I'm just being reasonable here. I don't envy you guys at all - while you spend time posting about WoW, I spend time playing WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    What about us? lol
    You didn't accuse anyone of being "Terminally online". No "Pot calling the kettle black" action going on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You WILL be judged for how you spend your free time!

*looks at his own post count*

God dammit.
    Like the person above, you didn't accuse anyone of being "Terminally online". I guess I just despise hypocricy and call it out whenever I see it /shrug.

I'm sorry that the concept of being "terminally online" has clearly gotten under your skin so much, but the way you are handling that is starting to get more than a little weird and creepy. I'm not that interesting, find someone else to do whatever this creepy thing you are doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Like the person above, you didn't accuse anyone of being "Terminally online". I guess I just despise hypocricy and call it out whenever I see it /shrug.
    The only hypocrisy here is criticizing other people for how they spend their time while simultaneously making post after post after post where all you do is go on creepy little strings of insults.
    -ynnady

The only hypocrisy here is criticizing other people for how they spend their time while simultaneously making post after post after post where all you do is go on creepy little strings of insults.
    I delight in the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Na, he's right, you have no life.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing my post count online doesn't go back to when I ACTUALLY Started posting online...

Been posting to online forums since about 1994 - MMO champion post counts got nothing on that history, baby. I only started actively posting HERE a couple of years ago-ish.

Still managed to graduate college, get a masters and a doctorate, get married, be self-employed in private practice, be active in family and civil groups... and I'm sure my 'post count online' from 1994 is probably in the hundreds-of-thousands (even without social media).

Your post count reflects nothing about you but your willingness to engage in discussion online. Certainly doesn't mean you can't do anything else with your life - ha. How ridiculous can you get?
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Good thing my post count online doesn't go back to when I ACTUALLY Started posting online...

Been posting to online forums since about 1994 - MMO champion post counts got nothing on that history, baby. I only started actively posting HERE a couple of years ago-ish.

Still managed to graduate college, get a masters and a doctorate, get married, be self-employed in private practice, be active in family and civil groups... and I'm sure my 'post count online' from 1994 is probably in the hundreds-of-thousands (even without social media).

Your post count reflects nothing about you but your willingness to engage in discussion online. Certainly doesn't mean you can't do anything else with your life - ha. How ridiculous can you get?
    I mean we are talking about someone who thought "You've made 3 posts per day!" meant I was here for 8 hours a day, when really that means I spend an average of maybe 10 minutes per day.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I mean we are talking about someone who thought "You've made 3 posts per day!" meant I was here for 8 hours a day, when really that means I spend an average of maybe 10 minutes per day.
    Honestly, 3 posts a day for 10 years isn't surprising or shocking.

If it was something like 27 posts a day, I can see it being shocking. But 3? Nah, that's reasonable. It takes a few minutes to check in read a post and reply. I mean, you could check the board in the morning having your coffee and check at night between checking emails. I don't see how anyone can spin 3 posts a day into anything shocking.

A lot of my posts is that I am have mainly worked from home since March 2020. And I have my personal computer on next to my work computer. I can pop on see if I got a reply to a thread I like and reply in moments when my work is down or if I need a moment to think about something else. So, I have a lot of posts, but most of the time it is just to get my mind off work for a second while in my house.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-09-29 at 12:43 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Honestly, 3 posts a day for 10 years isn't surprising or shocking.
    I mean the concept of posting even 1 post, every day, for 10 years on a single online forum is shocking to most people.

I certainly enjoy posting (even though it took WoT to actually annoy me enough to make an account), but the concept of posting EVERY DAY FOR TEN YEARS. Even if you only posted once a day....... that's addiction, rampant addiction. (not even going to attempt to figure out Endus, that's a discussion for another day)

But hearing anyone with that many posts telling people they post too often or are too animated about a subject is truly ironic.

But continue engaging in feeding your addiction, this show is silly and I'm well past the point of really caring beyond listening with amusement as Nick Rekieta tries to explain his issues with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I mean the concept of posting even 1 post, every day, for 10 years on a single online forum is shocking to most people.
    It is only shocking if you lack understanding of what it means. Use to start their day reading a newspaper, watching the news, talking to a neighbor, etc while now we live in a world where Social media dominates. Forums are a part of that (arguably a dying part of it). And posting doesn't prove an addiction to something any more than people putting on the news before work proved they were addicted to television (yes, it does have a correlation, but that doesn't mean it is the case in all cases.)

So, while people are "shocked" by it, it isn't really shocking. I mean people are shocked more people are killed by cows than sharks, but people tend to be around cows more often than sharks. You are only shocked when you don't understand it.

And Social Media addiction is more than just amount of posts. People who have it are often obsessed with likes, interactions, etc, too. If you are going to social media for validation, you are likely addicted to it even if your post count is low. I have a lot of posts often when a show or movie comes out, I posts on places here because I work from home mostly now and when I am in the office, most of my co-workers are a decade older than I am and not interested in things I am, so I can't talk to them about the shows or movies and I want to discuss them.

If I had people with similar interests to me, I wouldn't post as much. I want to discuss things, and the easiest way is via social media. Most of my friends do not live close to me, so I keep in touch with them via Social Media because it is easier too. To claim post count proves addiction or someone is more addicted than someone else is not a valid argument.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Just finished ep. 7 and I really really liked it. Outside of Ep.1 this was the best so far. Blonsky & Co. were a delight and imo more of the humor worked. And The method used to obtain Jens 'blood' was inspired.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2022-09-29 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post

I certainly enjoy posting (even though it took WoT to actually annoy me enough to make an account), but the concept of posting EVERY DAY FOR TEN YEARS. Even if you only posted once a day....... that's addiction, rampant addiction. (not even going to attempt to figure out Endus, that's a discussion for another day)

But hearing anyone with that many posts telling people they post too often or are too animated about a subject is truly ironic.

But continue engaging in feeding your addiction, this show is silly and I'm well past the point of really caring beyond listening with amusement as Nick Rekieta tries to explain his issues with it.
    That's funny...since you're at 490 posts and your join date is Dec 2021. Check the math on that. And here you are making posts in a thread about a show that you are "past the point of caring" about.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.