Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I was called an adventurer when arriving dragon isles

What a time to be alive. Hope they get rid of that super champion Attitude

peace

It's a bit immersion breaking to be called an adventurer when I literally just came back from killing the Ruler of the Death Realm, and prior to that saved the planet like a million times, but sure

I've done more shit than the Dragon Aspects have at this point.

i thought the most hilarious thing was when i got told by the centaurs to prove myself against the apprentices
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post

peace
    somewhere Magni is crying.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    That sort of thing seems silly in any expansion. I've killed literal gods but this random npc in x zone thinks he's gonna be the one to take me down? ok
    Well, it makes sense in the context that they know nothing of you or your presumed exploits - so in their eyes, you could just be bluffing or blustering, and you're just a greenhorn looking to prove yourself.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post

peace
    This is where I believe all player characters should be, adventurer, soldier, explorer, champion - let the big names have Highlord, commander, savior and hero and such.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    It's a bit immersion breaking to be called an adventurer when I literally just came back from killing the Ruler of the Death Realm, and prior to that saved the planet like a million times, but sure

Canonically I like to think that this never really happened and the protagonist was just on a drug/alcohol binge the entire time.

*drunkedly at the inn* "I killed the lord of death!!!"
    "sure you did, buddy. sure you did."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Well, it makes sense in the context that they know nothing of you or your presumed exploits - so in their eyes, you could just be bluffing or blustering, and you're just a greenhorn looking to prove yourself.
    "Bro... do you SEE this fucking weapon? I pulled it off of THE FUCKING JAILER'S BODY AFTER WE KILLED HIM. It can send YOUR SOUL to one of FOUR AFTERLIVES"

"yeah... I'm just not buying it man. Go kill 10 boars then come back to me"
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

The game could do a better job at distinguishing who is addressing you. For instance, a character like Jaina who is well aware of what our character has done just randomly calling us adventurer would indeed be strange. However some random tuskarr on the Dragon Isles we've never met before wouldn't likely know or care what our character has done before. And them calling us champion is equally bizarre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    "Bro... do you SEE this fucking weapon? I pulled it off of THE FUCKING JAILER'S BODY AFTER WE KILLED HIM. It can send YOUR SOUL to one of FOUR AFTERLIVES"

"yeah... I'm just not buying it man. Go kill 10 boars then come back to me"
    Pretty much. I mean the Dragon Isles are overflowing with powerful, glowing, and dramatic-looking weaponry - so I doubt a skull-topped mace with flicking blue flames is really going to turn that many heads if they don't really know or believe its user's story about acquiring it. Killing 10 boars is how one truly proves their worth to a stranger in Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The game could do a better job at distinguishing who is addressing you. For instance, a character like Jaina who is well aware of what our character has done just randomly calling us adventurer would indeed be strange. However some random tuskarr on the Dragon Isles we've never met before wouldn't likely know or care what our character has done before. And them calling us champion is equally bizarre.
    If I recall correctly, marquee NPCs who know us of old do tend to call us by more formal titles - Wrathrion refers to you as "my champion," befitting his egocentric nature, whereas Kalec is more likely to call you "my friend" or "this hero" and the like. Not sure about all the others, but strangers tend to call us adventurers or travellers, whereas the main faction and older NPCs are more familiar in their address.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

"Well we could send a messenger to the strange lands you claim to have come from and inquire with the leaders there if the tales of your exploits are true. Then we could decide whether or not those leaders are trustworthy. Or we could have you fulfil our sacred tradition of killing ten boars, fighting one of our most arrogant champions and then doing three different tasks every day until we like you enough to sell crap to you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    "Well we could send a messenger to the strange lands you claim to have come from and inquire with the leaders there if the tales of your exploits are true. Then we could decide whether or not those leaders are trustworthy. Or we could have you fulfil our sacred tradition of killing ten boars, fighting one of our most arrogant champions and then doing three different tasks every day until we like you enough to sell crap to you."
    Now I'm reminded of this old comic:

There is no winning for Blizzard is there? Whatever they do, it is destined to be wrong in some people's eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

In lore it's been 5 years. You're old hat now. Everybody's forgotten about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    If I recall correctly, marquee NPCs who know us of old do tend to call us by more formal titles - Wrathrion refers to you as "my champion," befitting his egocentric nature, whereas Kalec is more likely to call you "my friend" or "this hero" and the like. Not sure about all the others, but strangers tend to call us adventurers or travellers, whereas the main faction and older NPCs are more familiar in their address.
    That's true but there's still some weird one off scenarios. The Maldraxxi NPCs come to mind. How they basically ask you who you even are. Even after you've become essentially the commander of their covenant.

I suppose what I was trying to say it would be nice if some of the NPC dialogue evolved over time. Maybe not for everyone but least maybe in factions you can gain rep/renown with. Them starting out with wondering who you are and what you're doing there and evolving into calling you champion or hero would be a nice immersive touch I think.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    In lore it's been 5 years. You're old hat now. Everybody's forgotten about you.
    (Agreed and doubling down on your thoughts)

Canonically who actually knows you went to the afterlife and did all those great things, other than the main protagonists in charge and some lucky soldiers that came and didn't die? I'd assume people of an area we haven't been to don't know of your exploits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    That's true but there's still some weird one off scenarios. The Maldraxxi NPCs come to mind. How they basically ask you who you even are. Even after you've become essentially the commander of their covenant.

I suppose what I was trying to say it would be nice if some of the NPC dialogue evolved over time. Maybe not for everyone but least maybe in factions you can gain rep/renown with. Them starting out with wondering who you are and what you're doing there and evolving into calling you champion or hero would be a nice immersive touch I think.
    If you're referring to the Maldraxxi stock NPC voices that say charming things like "Do I know you, am I supposed to?" and all that, I'd chalk it up to the developers not recording evolving voice lines for them, and in-universe as Maldraxxi NPCs just being edgy and caustic (which fits their overall aesthetic, really). More "you may be the de facto MVP of this Covenant and the fabled Maw Walker, but I don't a shit about you" than not really recognizing who you are.

Evolving voice lines for key and marquee NPCs would be a great thing to add for the immersion factor, though; I heartily agree.

I think there's a lot of snapshot mentality from people in these MMOs.

We were all gnoll slaying newbies at some point and then we got strong enough to be able to face the strongest beings alive over time, but we still wear clothes, sit at an inn, and fish in the rivers of azeroth.

Who's to say that our enemy that looks inconspicuous isnt the same? Sure, it's just a "insert whatever you want here". But so are you, and you killed a "insert whatever strong enemy here", why can't these new enemies have done similar?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    That sort of thing seems silly in any expansion. I've killed literal gods but this random npc in x zone thinks he's gonna be the one to take me down? ok
    And then he does, and your entire world crumbles

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you kill that which has no life?

We are immortal multidimensional beings all portraying the "one" the champion, THE adventurer, the one and only maw-walker, we are all this one together.

Even though they sometimes call us champions plural, wow has since vanilla always had the story of the one that got the legendariers and killed the raids with the help from the other champions, but after SL there is only one champion left, the maw-walker, and that's all of us.