Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well this would explain why I fell out with the show after second episode into season 2. Kinda funny we see this shit more and more with adaptations... I don't understand why writers want to adapt something they do not like? Do they want to make it better? Do they just wanna make their own version of it? Is it pride? ego?

this just goes to show that they throw away passion for the art you are trying to adapt and replace it with your own selfish needs.

I have my own saying now days when it coems to an adaptation,. if you want a faithful adaptation then hire a plagiarist :P

Some of The Witcher show writers 'actively disliked' the books and games
    https://www.pcgamer.com/some-of-the-...oks-and-games/
    It's narcissism. Hollywood hacks these days think they can do a story better than the white man who created it, in the case of The Witcher, Tolkien and The Wheel of Time. So they inject their bullshit into the stories and fail to capture what makes these IPs so popular and instead they tread all over the original works.

The fact that Henry Cavill was being adamant about the writers sticking to the story to properly capture the spirit of the story, should be a good indicator as to why the second season was terrible. Which is dumb because the first season was solid despite taking some creative liberties. The difference is that these people want to change the entire tone of a story because they don't happen to like the original creator for some asinine reason. It's cultural colonialism at its finest, taking an author's existing works which have sold millions of copies and coopting it into something that does a disservice to the original.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    why apply to be a writer on the show then?
    It's Netflix, they'll hire anyone with a pulse these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's narcissism. Hollywood hacks these days think they can do a story better than the white man who created it, in the case of The Witcher, Tolkien and The Wheel of Time. So they inject their bullshit into the stories and fail to capture what makes these IPs so popular and instead they tread all over the original works.

The fact that Henry Cavill was being adamant about the writers sticking to the story to properly capture the spirit of the story, should be a good indicator as to why the second season was terrible. Which is dumb because the first season was solid despite taking some creative liberties. The difference is that these people want to change the entire tone of a story because they don't happen to like the original creator for some asinine reason. It's cultural colonialism at its finest, taking an author's existing works which have sold millions of copies and coopting it into something that does a disservice to the original.

- - - Updated - - -

It's Netflix, they'll hire anyone with a pulse these days.
    still awaiting an answer on that. I understand you are never going to get a 100% faithful adaptation, I understand changes are needed when making a adaptation, especially when its from book/comic/video game to TV, but I don't understand literally mocking and disliking the material you are given? that's frikkin nuts.

I can only assume its a mix of greed and ego. Its just another job for them. Its not something they care about... maybe thats how we are now as a species, we have all just become cynical bitter people.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    So either he could stick with doing the Witcher, a show with writers who actively disliked the source material (material he was quite passionate about) or he could go do Superman with people who, I assume, want to go back to doing a more comic-accurate Superman. Assuming he cares about both characters, it seems like it would be an easy choice.

Because imagine if the show was more directly fairthful to the source material - it'd be a very white world.

These writers are more activists than writers and they are fixing the problems of the world, singlehandedly, for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Because imagine if the show was more directly fairthful to the source material - it'd be a very white world.

These writers are more activists than writers and they are fixing the problems of the world, singlehandedly, for us.
    maybe this is why we should hope more minority authors (in fantasy for example) get more popular, there is a lot of fantasy books by black, Asian and LGBTQI+ who write awesome stuff, set in a fantasy setting that isn't medieval Europe like most fantasy. Instead they keep using white fantasy because its a popular franchise that sells.

As much as I would love for there to be a Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters adaptation or Poppy War by R.F. Kuang or Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, no one knows who they are so they wont make it. I am just coming up with ones I have read.

But the problems are more than just that. I personally don't care who plays who, but just respect the source material in terms of the story thats the most important thing, I quit watching Witcher in season 2 episode 2 because of a really dumb decision they made (and if you watched episode 2 of season 2 you'd know). It was very clear they decided they wanted to do their own thing with the Witcher name plastered on it, same with Wheel of Time and same with Rings of Power (although Rings of Power is a weird case) and dont get me started on The Sword of Shannara adaptation
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-10-30 at 08:00 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

To be clear, that's not entirely accurate.

It's not that they think they can make better stories than those people, it's that they think they can make better SCREENPLAYS than those people. Where the narcissism and arrogance come in is in thinking that those "literature people" know nothing about making movies/shows, and the almighty Hollywood writer is a divinely blessed savant at giving audiences what they want.

Which is still horseshit, of course, but is different from just thinking "Tolkien can suck it I'm the best writer now".

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    To be clear, that's not entirely accurate.

It's not that they think they can make better stories than those people, it's that they think they can make better SCREENPLAYS than those people. Where the narcissism and arrogance come in is in thinking that those "literature people" know nothing about making movies/shows, and the almighty Hollywood writer is a divinely blessed savant at giving audiences what they want.

Which is still horseshit, of course, but is different from just thinking "Tolkien can suck it I'm the best writer now".
    They also think they can make the story better by deconstructing the characters and misrepresenting them.

They also think they can make the story better by deconstructing the characters and misrepresenting them.
    Effectively yes, but not because they think it makes for a better story in general, just for a better story on screen.

They think screen and text are two completely different things and people who do texts know absolutely nothing about doing screen. Yep, hubris to the n-th degree and all that comes with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game of Thrones ruined tv fantasy forever. Now we have source material being butchered into wannabe gritty copycats by "hip" writers and execs that fall woefully short and are more soap operas than fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Effectively yes, but not because they think it makes for a better story in general, just for a better story on screen.

They think screen and text are two completely different things and people who do texts know absolutely nothing about doing screen. Yep, hubris to the n-th degree and all that comes with it.
    Because they see success of throwaway trite writing of marvel printing billions and think "that's what good is! That's what makes good screenplay, right!?! It's successful!" and don't realize marvel just has a huge cult-following like disney that will watch whatever garbage they put out. Meanwhile, they do not have that same loyal following for whatever IP they're attempting to apply the same bullshit formula to and are always left wondering why they suck and fail.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Because they see success of throwaway trite writing of marvel printing billions and think "that's what good is! That's what makes good screenplay, right!?! It's successful!" and don't realize marvel just has a huge cult-following like disney that will watch whatever garbage they put out. Meanwhile, they do not have that same loyal following for whatever IP they're attempting to apply the same bullshit formula to and are always left wondering why they suck and fail.
    or marvel just makes enjoyable movies. lmfao not really a cult, people just like watching fun spectacle movies and marvel makes great ones

If you want something much deeper than Marvel just watch Dune, or anything like it. Then find out which directors/writers make such content and follow their works.

Marvel movies are pretty fun to watch though, but I never considered them to have deep writing. I don't really recall watching any of the MCU movies and then thinking too much about them, except Infinity War, now that had some depth in it, but then Endgame took that away.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    If you want something much deeper than Marvel just watch Dune, or anything like it.
    Though to be fair, even with its more "artsy" appeal and French cinema air, the Dune movie was a travesty for book fans. It resonated well with movie-goers because it's an accomplished piece of cinema (for the most part) but people who were deep into the books could only roll their eyes and grit their teeth at most of it. There was nothing "deep" about Dune - it was a spectacle as well, just of a different kind. More opera than musical theater, but still just a spectacle.

At this point I'm not even sure what film I'd hold up as being an accomplished translation of text to screen. The Godfather, maybe?

Honestly, I'm just not a big fan of adaptations in general. I like the medium to speak for itself. Write films. Write books. Don't try and make one into the other. But that's subjective, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    or marvel just makes enjoyable movies. lmfao not really a cult, people just like watching fun spectacle movies and marvel makes great ones
    Multiverse of Madness was garbage that glossed over all the deep stuff and was just like "this is happening now!" and was pure shit. As well as a lot of the movies. Yes, a lot of people apparently just like to see big flashy scenes with one-liner memorable quotes. Cool. Doesn't mean it's actually good writing. It's shit that appeals to mass audiences of mouth breathers.

You won't get the same type of audience EVER for a show like Witcher, GOT, etc, and yet they keep thinking the fantasy name of <insert another murdered IP here> is actually going to be enough to let them cash in on it like a Marvel or Disney movie. Will never happen. They'll keep flopping.

You won't get the same type of audience EVER for a show like Witcher, GOT, etc, and yet they keep thinking the fantasy name of <insert another murdered IP here> is actually going to be enough to let them cash in on it like a Marvel or Disney movie. Will never happen. They'll keep flopping.
    You try telling that to a studio exec!

They're not storytelling people, they're business people. To them it's all easy: "what are those people doing that earns them billions of dollars, and how can WE do it, too?" So it's natural that they'd try and graft a concept from one IP to another, in the hopes of using a proven successful formula to be successful as well.

That's what happened with shows like WoT or LotR:RoP, too - Amazon's stated goal was "the next Game of Thrones". They looked at a successful product, and then tried to use that product's makeup to succeed with a different IP. And we saw how that turned out.

It's hard enough to properly dissect a story and distill it down into "success factors". It's even harder to replicate that with another story, because there's so many variables involved. And it's SUPER hard to get all that sorted out, and then convince executives who know nothing of how complex these things can get, and who want easy, simple solutions with big words for everything...

Multiverse of Madness was garbage that glossed over all the deep stuff and was just like "this is happening now!" and was pure shit. As well as a lot of the movies. Yes, a lot of people apparently just like to see big flashy scenes with one-liner memorable quotes. Cool. Doesn't mean it's actually good writing. It's shit that appeals to mass audiences of mouth breathers.

your opinion doesnt make fact. you dont get to decide what is shit or great. mouth breathers are typically people on forums whining about how bad nickelback is, how wow was never a good mmo, or how marvel movies are dumb/bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    This is just plain proof of what people were saying since long, long time ago about adaptations. Because its clear when you see stuff on the screen how fucked they become in the name of their agendas or tastes.

ITs good cause it refutes some people here, who actively trying to deny it, saying it as just conspiration theory and all.

On the bit about the witcher, it always felt like the show, more in the second season was taking away too much from Geralt doing witcher things to give spotlight to other characters

- - - Updated - - -

Thats exactly what happened with rings of power, it was some shit movie scrip that those guys had, they adapted into Tolkien and stretched for 8 episodes
    Precisely. fuck the other characters, they're there to add to Geralt's story, NOT become the focus of their own. Except for Regis, he's fucking awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

your opinion doesnt make fact. you dont get to decide what is shit or great. mouth breathers are typically people on forums whining about how bad nickelback is, how wow was never a good mmo, or how marvel movies are dumb/bad.
    WoW was never a great mmo. just like honda civics aren't great cars. sure they sell lots of them, but they sell a lot of hot dogs in grocery stores too, and those are objectively shit. Nickelback isn't that bad, and marvel movies have some great ones, and some not so great ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Precisely. fuck the other characters, they're there to add to Geralt's story, NOT become the focus of their own. Except for Regis, he's fucking awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW was never a great mmo. just like honda civics aren't great cars. sure they sell lots of them, but they sell a lot of hot dogs in grocery stores too, and those are objectively shit. Nickelback isn't that bad, and marvel movies have some great ones, and some not so great ones.
    again, your opinion does not make fact. you cannot decide what is or is not great. its purely subjective.

7+ Year Old Account
    again, your opinion does not make fact. you cannot decide what is or is not great. its purely subjective.
    There is lines to draw on what something is great or just good and bad or just awful, there is objective points you can pin down to determine something quality.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    This isn't entirely true though. There are measures to things that if agreed upon can be used to make objective decisions.

If two people are looking for different things, than they aren't necessarily going to agree.

Take Hot dogs from Jinpachi as an example. If my standard is good food is something that is easy to prepare and quick to eat, a hot dog would be good by that standard and anyone else judging by that standard would logically agree. But, if you are judging based on health or what is used to make it, a hot dog would not be good and anyone using that standard would agree. This is why I don't trust reviewers who don't tell me what they are looking for or how they are judging, but anyone that is forthright with how they are judging, you can easily come to objective conclusions on subjective issues.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code