Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    Dragonflying is objectively a better version of flying in every single way. This has nothing to do with opinions.
    Except that's not true. It's a better version of flying in CERTAIN ways, but not in others. You can't hover, you don't have free and immediate 3D movement without concern for momentum, you can't really afk efficiently, and so on. You can argue about how important those are relative to the advantages, but saying "objectively better in every single way" is simply false.

I would never replace Flying in this game. That said, if we have proven certain classes can fly without a mount, and can do so at 540% instead of 310%, maybe it is time to raise the speed limit on normal flying mounts and allow "floating" or "Slow falling" classes some flying option. Like apparating in Harry Potter for Mages and Locks, or angelic wings for priests. Something that adds more dimension to travelling. Would also love to see Hearthstones take you to ANY discovered Inn, and not just the last one you saved it to.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Except it doesn't? With your mount it flies there at 310% speed. With my dragonriding, I fly there at 910% speed.
    So i'll be getting there almost 3 times faster... So you think fun part is faster? Gratz, you prefer dragonriding.
    But you and everyone else would know this if you had actually tried it... But in 1 months, everyone will love it.
    You heard it here first.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I dont believe you for one second.
    This feature is here to stay... It's just too good and read above. You haven't tried it at max level.
    I am in beta and I can safely say this gimmick isn't going to last beyond DF knowing how BlizZard operates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Except that's not true. It's a better version of flying in CERTAIN ways, but not in others. You can't hover, you don't have free and immediate 3D movement without concern for momentum, you can't really afk efficiently, and so on. You can argue about how important those are relative to the advantages, but saying "objectively better in every single way" is simply false.
    At this point BlizZard has pulled the wool over people's eyes once more. BlizZard is more concerned about how to control players engagement with the game instead of creating a world players choose to engage.

I don't think it hurts to let them co-exist. If you want to actively play the game, and be rewarded with traversing the world, old and new, at 3x the speed then that's great! If you prefer auto floating through the air for convenience then that's also great, you'll get there slower but you can be tabbed out or focused elsewhere!

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    They should remove flying at all. Yeah its super fast and comfortable, but its bad for immersion.
    This logic is always flawed. If you want immersion, don't use flying. Simple fix. Don't fuck over everyone else for your sake.

I’m all for making modern systems for legacy systems - but keeping both for those who don’t want to or can’t use the new things out of necessity or personal reasons. Dragonriding is objectively more interactive and interesting—but it requires you to actually pay attention and actively move around. Not everyone likes that which is fine. Reward and encourage active play but allow the lazy / more comfortable option anyways.

I really don’t see why both couldn’t exist together for their own purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    At this point BlizZard has pulled the wool over people's eyes once more. BlizZard is more concerned about how to control players engagement with the game instead of creating a world players choose to engage.
    While I personally agree that dragon-riding is a bit of a meme move that creates the illusion of content by repurposing something quotidian like movement, I do get that for many people, it does create a fun activity. It's just not fun for me, and I'd rather not have it, but I'm not the only person on the planet or the only person playing WoW - they're fine with me not liking their product anymore, if enough other people like it.

On a second note, "creating an engaging world" is more difficult than it sounds. One of the biggest, fundamental problems in MMOs is that it's effectively impossible to create content at the same or faster pace than players consume it. That means EVERY kind of content WILL become repetitive and stale, and that's why they add in systems to try and mitigate that. A minigame like dragon-riding can help make that "world engagement" longer-lasting content, which may not be for everyone, but is, at its core, a practical necessity if you want to maintain high player engagement in an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    They have been. There is a cloud serpent variant now. At least it was shown on WoW Head.

- - - Updated - - -

Dragonflying is objectively a better version of flying in every single way. This has nothing to do with opinions.
    This is demonstrably not true.

I like dragonflying and I would be perfectly happy with replacing normal flying outright, but don't pretend there aren't downsides and there are no logical reasons to dislike it.

There is simply no reason to not have both available.

Now... let's not be too hasty. Let's see how this plays out first.
    Besides, i don't see a reason not to have both. You do have a bunch of flying mounts that will become completely useless otherwise. Unless they reverse engineer them all to work with the new flying.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-11-21 at 04:57 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    No. My guild master can only play with one hand and has a very hard time with dragon flying. She didn't feel bad for 18 years and how she has to?
    It's one thing designing a game in a certain way from the get go and another deciding to change it in a way that alienates people.
    She can use dragonflight with one hand. How does she play just now? Clicks abilities? You can do that with Dragonflight. Use a naga/similar? Awesome, that's what I use and I did it one handed while collecting all the Dragon Glyphs.

Dragonriding is awesome fun.

Currently on beta you can use only one option: dragonriding for new zones, and old style for rest. Not possible to choose other style. Maxing dragorniding ASAP is super important and makes everything better.

Tried it on beta over the weekend and all I can say is that is simply feels fun.
    There will for sure be people who will complain about some of their convenience being taken away. Even though dragonflying is faster, I can already imagine the screams of "But now I can't afk in the air while waiting for Rare#78385 to respawn"
    So blizz will likely have to compromise and tweak it around or let both exist.
    Personally I don't think all around convenience = fun and will take the new system over air swimming any day.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Tried it on beta over the weekend and all I can say is that is simply feels fun.
    There will for sure be people who will complain about some of their convenience being taken away. Even though dragonflying is faster, I can already imagine the screams of "But now I can't afk in the air while waiting for Rare#78385 to respawn"
    Personally I don't think all around convenience = fun and will take the new system over air swimming any day.
    Thinking about it more, maybe taking it away is too harsh. Still, at the very least, I'd be 100% okay with Dragonflying staying moving forward or some variant or form of alternative traversal systems. Once the expansion lapses, legacy flying is permitted in the old zones for convenience. I also want Dragonflying to be permitted in all zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    I know i won't. I rather just fly to the fun rather then play some lame mini game.
    Here we have another person who's never used the feature but is hating on it. Shocking
    So you would rather take 3 times to get to your "fun"? Ok. you do you.

Like, if you find old flying remotely useful? You're never gonna use wanna use it again over dragonriding. There's literally zero points in doing so.
    Hover midair? Ok, cool story. You go afk in the mid air for no reason and have that as your number one complaint, nobody will care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I am in beta and I can safely say this gimmick isn't going to last beyond DF knowing how BlizZard operates.
    Read my previous reply about how I dont believe you.
    You just love hating on blizzard, its quite obvious when you compare them to nazi invaders. Holy shit dude...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    There is dev posts about this subject. Normal flying isn't going away for the exact reason of being able to hover mid air.
    That's it. You will still have to wait and earn it in patch 10.x with pathfinder etc. So everyone else will be using dragonriding for MONTHS or they will walk lol...
    Everyone will come to love it because its just better in every way.

I do wonder, will I be able to spin through people in normal flying mounts and dismount them when that becomes available?

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    WoW is played by a wide variety of people, some of whom have disabilities including not being able to optimally use their hands
    I don't think "People who can't use their hands" is really an important audience demographic or one that developers should care about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I do wonder, will I be able to spin through people in normal flying mounts and dismount them when that becomes available?
    Very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Fine. "better in every way that matters".

Also lol at the whole notion of "afk efficiently". Wow players have such brainworms.

I dont have adhd I don't need my flying to be action packed to keep me from losing concentration, normal flying is perfect how it is besides the annoying pathfinder bull crap they shoehorned in for unknown reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    I dont have adhd I don't need my flying to be action packed to keep me from losing concentration, normal flying is perfect how it is besides the annoying pathfinder bull crap they shoehorned in for unknown reasons.
    "action packed" = "you press an ability like 3 or 4 times during an entire trip, also it's bound to the jump button and you'd be pressing that anyway" but ok