Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Definitely not going to see another "Pamela Redpath" quest...ever?

Yes, the Warcraft franchise becomes increasingly family and kid friendly with every iteration.

It's come to the point that we can't even have a faction war anymore because people are offended. A Warchief is not allowed to exist anymore since they are mean. Morally grey was nice while it lasted but it had to make way for two lawful good factions that aren't at war with eachother anymore.

Everything has to be happy, cheerful, colorful these days. We're helping the Dragons back to power out of the goodness of our heart, not because we gain anything from it ourselves. Altruistic don't you think? It's very boring if you ask me. Internal strive, struggles, deceit, betrayals, wars, those things are interesting, it moves a plot forward and makes for nice twists. But we can't have that anymore because people will complain, "not my Warchief!", "<insert faction> is being favoured", "Why do they get <this> and our faction doesn't get <that>?", etc. It's very tiresome. So Blizzard abandoned it and made the two factions the same, now nobody can complain anymore. But it's boring like this. Going the way of the least resistance might get you the least complaints, it also gets you the least praise. It's become 'meh' at best. No high or lows.

So now WoW is a shadow of its former self, a family centered game the likes of a Disney or Pixar movie.

They tried to do the same with Diablo, just look at Diablo 3 which was also a lot more colorful, cartoony, family friendly and less scary. But they at least realized it's not beneficial to that franchise so they backtracked on it as you can see in Diablo 4 which is darker and scarier again.

I'm not saying Warcraft should go the route of Diablo, it doesn't need to be that dark, but right now it's a bit too happy and cheerfull, more of a middleground would be better for Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    It's come to the point that we can't even have a faction war anymore because people are offended. A Warchief is not allowed to exist anymore since they are mean. Morally grey was nice while it lasted but it had to make way for two lawful good factions that aren't at war with eachother anymore.
    Virtual war shouldn't be source of so called "virtual racism", i.e. players hating each other just for picking other faction. It was ok for RTS games, but it isn't for MMO. In MMO all players should be friends by default, not enemies, and so called "war" should be completely voluntary.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    We can only have so many expansions of ever greater HOOOORRIBLE COSMIC TIER THREATS trying to one up each other. This is supposed to be a healing period in Azeroth history. Life returning to the land and all that, so the overall tone is much more optimistic.

Writing off everything that's optimistic as "too childish" is really dumb, no wonder y'all so angry all the time.

I'm only one zone in so far but the old dwarf form dragon and the dragonmaw orc at the ruby pools got me feeling, so the writer's have still got it as far as I'm concerned.
    Have you heard the voice overs? A lot of them sound like they were taken straight out of a kids' show.

Not to mention the overly dramatic cutscenes and text about renouncing hatred and loving each other all the time.

Yes, the Warcraft franchise becomes increasingly family and kid friendly with every iteration.

Everything has to be happy, cheerful, colorful these days. We're helping the Dragons back to power out of the goodness of our heart, not because we gain anything from it ourselves. Altruistic don't you think? It's very boring if you ask me. Internal strive, struggles, deceit, betrayals, wars, those things are interesting, it moves a plot forward and makes for nice twists. But we can't have that anymore because people will complain, "not my Warchief!", "<insert faction> is being favoured", "Why do they get <this> and our faction doesn't get <that>?", etc. It's very tiresome. So Blizzard abandoned it and made the two factions the same, now nobody can complain anymore. But it's boring like this. Going the way of the least resistance might get you the least complaints, it also gets you the least praise. It's become 'meh' at best. No high or lows.

So now WoW is a shadow of its former self, a family centered game the likes of a Disney or Pixar movie.

They tried to do the same with Diablo, just look at Diablo 3 which was also a lot more colorful, cartoony, family friendly and less scary. But they at least realized it's not beneficial to that franchise so they backtracked on it as you can see in Diablo 4 which is darker and scarier again.

I'm not saying Warcraft should go the route of Diablo, it doesn't need to be that dark, but right now it's a bit too happy and cheerfull, more of a middleground would be better for Warcraft.
    Finally, someone who understands.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Virtual war shouldn't be source of so called "virtual racism", i.e. players hating each other just for picking other faction. It was ok for RTS games, but it isn't for MMO. In MMO all players should be friends by default, not enemies, and so called "war" should be completely voluntary.
    Mmos can't have groups set against each another?
    I'm not saying PvE shouldn't be cooperative, but don't neglect PvP. This game was founded on faction war, after all.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    One of few questlines in WoW that actually made me stop and thing "Man, this is fucked up."
    A Warchief is not allowed to exist anymore since they are mean.
    Weell, the last two we've had went insane, so it was probably best to get rid of it. I could see the position of High King/Queen going away too.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDemonGirl View Post
    Weell, the last two we've had went insane, so it was probably best to get rid of it. I could see the position of High King/Queen going away too.
    A Warchief is meant to be a warmongerer. It is an integral part of Orc culture.
    It was a mistake to give it to an undead high elf, though.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    A Warchief is meant to be a warmongerer. It is an integral part of Orc culture.
    It was a mistake to give it to an undead high elf, though.
    So then orcs should be obliterated, camps were the mercy they did not deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I don't know, never felt that was that dark.

To me, the arguably "darkest" quest is Stalvan in Classic.
    And that one in Grizzly Hills where you casually help to capture Ice Trolls to sell them off into slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post

Have you heard the voice overs? A lot of them sound like they were taken straight out of a kids' show.
    Not to mention the overly dramatic cutscenes and text about renouncing hatred and loving each other all the time.

Mmos can't have groups set against each another?
    I'm not saying PvE shouldn't be cooperative, but don't neglect PvP. This game was founded on faction war, after all.
    A faction war which is considered to be canonically completely over now. Tyrande finally signed that accord after Sylvanas faced consequences, and the factions are working together on a shared mission.

And your constant dismissiveness of "kid's shows" would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I worry about how much you've missed out on by writing those off. Some of the best stories I've ever seen about growing up, self-improvement, self-discovery, and looking to the future fall into that category.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2023-02-04 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Did anyone else do the Gnoll genocide questline in Azure Span? It was on the humorous side, but still kinda caught me off guard, especially in modern WoW.

If by "family friendly" you mean less willing to tackle interesting and complex themes, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    So then orcs should be obliterated, camps were the mercy they did not deserve.
    If you're an Alliance player, then this is the spirit.

A faction war which is considered to be canonically completely over now. Tyrande finally signed that accord after Sylvanas faced consequences, and the factions are working together on a shared mission.

And your constant dismissiveness of "kid's shows" would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I worry about how much you've missed out on by writing those off. Some of the best stories I've ever seen about growing up, self-improvement, self-discovery, and looking to the future fall into that category.
    Avatar: the last Airbender is a masterpiece.
    I'm talking about toddler shows like Dora the Explorer or Barney.

Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    If by "family friendly" you mean less willing to tackle interesting and complex themes, then yes.
    yeah, but in these times is that not save. ( side note i do disagree, just did the obisidian citadel daily quests on my alt.....enough corpses etc lying around....if that is kid friendly....)

I remmember the forums in BFA when you had a strong women as leader of a group. Or gay couple's.....hell there is a whole thread on this forum right now because a blood elf ( a ingame ....A GAME) characther says he sorry for he has done to Jaina proudemoore......a ingame......sigh.

Whatever side you pick right or extreme left wing, pro or anti something. You will always step in a mine field if you do not chose the right answer for a group. And moving at all in the mind field is also not okay according to both sides...because thats also picking a side.

So the same people who are :73sid that its to kid friendly will most likely also whine when a hero or villian does something they do not like and start a thread about that 2.

remmber the day when comics/movies/games could just be a form of art, a game. And the story tellers could tell a story THEY wanted to tell and no one went off on them.
    I really hate modern day new age hipster nerds. You know the type, the ones who became nerd after it became "cool" .

I said it before in this thread.
    WoW has not become cuter or rougher. Its still the same. still corpses lying around, first zone is all about corrupt baby's in their eggs. We still slaugher heeps of npc's. and let their young join the tuskar....

Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    That is not true though, we see them tackling complex themes in this expansion far more than other expansions have done. The dwarf and orc quests come to mind, orc one especially as it touches some of the worst atrocities that we know of (on a relatable scale, not cosmic like Shadowlands)

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    This moment, for instance:

I'd say that a crying child looking up at the butchered corpse of his mother would count as "frightening", or at the very least a serious and mature scene.

You'll never find anything even remotely close to this in Dragonflight.

You can fiind other grim scenes like this; such as the Forsaken mage torturing a civilian by turning him into a fish, while on land (another grim scene from Brennadam). Or the Proudmoore cadets using a troll prisoner as a literal training dummy. It's small details like this one that made BfA bearable, and you won't find anything like this in Disney Dragonflight.
    This. This. This 1000000%.

Also Drustwar graveyard was beautiful and spooky at the same time.
    And alone child running around singing how everyones dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can only have so many expansions of ever greater HOOOORRIBLE COSMIC TIER THREATS trying to one up each other. This is supposed to be a healing period in Azeroth history. Life returning to the land and all that, so the overall tone is much more optimistic.

Writing off everything that's optimistic as "too childish" is really dumb, no wonder y'all so angry all the time.

I'm only one zone in so far but the old dwarf form dragon and the dragonmaw orc at the ruby pools got me feeling, so the writer's have still got it as far as I'm concerned.
    Serious doesn't mean cosmic tier threats, and family friendly doesn't mean no cosmic tier threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    For me at least, a large part of it (at least in Dragonflight) has been the voice acting and dialogue. I've been playing Warcraft since W3, and while it was never really a true "grimdark" game, many assets are becoming a bit too cheesy for my liking. Dragonflight has been solid overall but it's definitely not the same Warcraft from the past. It is what it is.
    The tone as well. The first one that really stood out to me was the elf girl going form alarmed at Khadgar showing up to remarking about his attractiveness in the span of a sentence.
    That's not even the issue. People disliked it because they were both written horribly. In the case morally gray it was actually straight up evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I don't know, never felt that was that dark.

To me, the arguably "darkest" quest is Stalvan in Classic.
    And that one in Grizzly Hills where you casually help to capture Ice Trolls to sell them off into slavery.
    slavery and some assmad murderous incel is darker than the risen dead killing everyone in Darrowshire and turning them into restless ghosts?

Quote Originally Posted by guro-tchai View Post
    slavery and some assmad murderous incel is darker than the risen dead killing everyone in Darrowshire and turning them into restless ghosts?
    Yes, because an assmad murderous incel can exist in real life, meanwhile a necromancer rising dead will never happen in real life.

Villains who can actually exist in real life tend to be scarier. Maybe not more badass or interesting or well-written, but definitely scarier.

Quote Originally Posted by guro-tchai View Post
    By that logic, Shadowlands is arguably the most darkest element because it involves thousands, if not millions of souls being enslaved.

The point is that those elements are a lot more graspable, because they are rather human, whereas what you're referring to is clearly within the domain of fantasy.

10+ Year Old Account
    well im the only one from my family that plays WoW so i dont think so