Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    House Republicans pass Parents Bill of Rights

The bottom line is this would

Do you agree with this, why or why not?

Personally even though it's a Republican bill depending on where you live and depending on your politics and background the motive for and agenda could swing both ways.

I also think if you send your kids to a decent private school much of this is already done already.
    Sadly, it's dead in the Senate. This particular piece of law is better left to the states anyway. It could still provide some bright lines for voters in terms of how they see parental involvement in their children's education. The teacher unions' stance is national, after all.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    That kind of negligent parenting is the kind that ends up having your daughter become an only fans 304.
    That kind of dismissal of the validity of sex work really does say wonders about the one expressing it.

If I had a daughter making her living off OnlyFans, my only concerns were that she was staying safe and that her work made her happy, or at least wasn't a barrier to her happiness. I'd definitely rather she was satisfied working that way than unsatisfied working as a burger flipper or laborer, which is just selling your body in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Sadly, it's dead in the Senate. This particular piece of law is better left to the states anyway. It could still provide some bright lines for voters in terms of how they see parental involvement in their children's education. The teacher unions' stance is national, after all.
    Its not sad, its a bullshit bill in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i thought this was the anti trans one?

wont it get nuked in the senate?
    Probably won't get off the shelf in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Funny you feel sad about this but not the fact that republicans killed the program that drastically cut child poverty.

Republicans caring about "parent's rights" is a joke. See: all of the bills they are passing at the state level to enshrine conservative values despite what liberal/left-leaning parents might prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    So no, "leaving it up to the parents" is one of the worst fucking ideas possible when it comes to a well-rounded education. Giving the parents such a huge say in what is taught doesn't mean the kids aren't "indoctrinated". It just means they're indoctrinated with some pretty bigoted bullshit from the parents themselves.
    Indeed, one of the reasons for public education as a concept is precisely because parents are often dumbasses.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page about this being a political stunt, some virtue signalling by House Reps to show that they're making an attempt to do something (Rather than the last three months of pointless hearings and nonsense infighting).

At best they want this to fail so they can clutch their pearls about Dems hating kids, but I don't think they've incapable of helping themselves and will go on their 'anti-grooming' screeds because they havn't gotten the memo that most voting Americans don't agree with their stance on their culture war bullshit.

All that aside, I think this sort of ignores a point that a lot of you guys havn't really touched on: What Parents being directly involved in the teaching curriculum means for -other- kids. Like if I was a parent, I wouldn't be happy if my kids' social studies class had to gut its lessons on the Civil Rights movement because some racist shitheads made a stink with the teachers, or some morons think the Literature lessons are too 'woke' and strip out its creative writing aspects because one of the kids wrote a little story on their two cool moms.

This bill and the people advocating for it are pretty much begging for our Public Education to be dumbed down by either people with malicious agendas and/or entitled morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Like I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page about this being a political stunt, some virtue signalling by House Reps to show that they're making an attempt to do something (Rather than the last three months of pointless hearings and nonsense infighting).

At best they want this to fail so they can clutch their pearls about Dems hating kids, but I don't think they've incapable of helping themselves and will go on their 'anti-grooming' screeds because they havn't gotten the memo that most voting Americans don't agree with their stance on their culture war bullshit.

All that aside, I think this sort of ignores a point that a lot of you guys havn't really touched on: What Parents being directly involved in the teaching curriculum means for -other- kids. Like if I was a parent, I wouldn't be happy if my kids' social studies class had to gut its lessons on the Civil Rights movement because some racist shitheads made a stink with the teachers, or some morons think the Literature lessons are too 'woke' and strip out its creative writing aspects because one of the kids wrote a little story on their two cool moms.

This bill and the people advocating for it are pretty much begging for our Public Education to be dumbed down by either people with malicious agendas and/or entitled morons.
    I mean, the obvious notion is, like you said, that they never planned for this to pass in the first place.

But even if they did somehow think it would pass (and it's likely a sort of "suggested blueprint" to red states to impose where the GOP holds a more iron-tight grip on the legislator) they'd be counting on the evangelical and otherwise conservative busybodies and the funding said groups would receive from right-wing groups to effectively overwhelm and ram through their one-sided take on education, regardless of how the other parents might feel.

Also also, unrelated to your point, but this sort of thing highlights precisely why "the GOP and the democrats might as well be the same, why bother to go vote at all if they democrats are really just right-wing?" is utter regressive horseshit thinking: If the GOP controlled both chambers and the presidency, this bullshit nonsense legislation would have passed.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2023-03-25 at 06:18 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Well...that's been going on for decades. Kitzmiller v. Dover was almost 20 years ago at this point, and creationists trying to get their conspiracy theory taught as fact (or simply sabotaging actual science curriculum if that doesn't work out for them) hasn't slowed down in the slightest.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, but disgusting groomer teachers can, lmfao...
    Parents, Relatives, and Friends (of parents) are far more likely to be grooming, or sexually abusing, children than Teachers are.

- - - Updated - - -

If I adopt a.black kid, is a random black neighbor hold rights over me as a parent just because he's fucking black and knows better than me about the black experience. gtfo.
    How much do you know about the gentics of hair and different types of hair? Types of hair far more common in people of african descent?
    Maybe you should listen to the neighbour in a case like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying and you're right that that is one of the very real results of this bill, but not the only one, I just hope the thread doesn't get derailed by sexuality, when the real topic is where an when should the rights of parents come in in terms of these rights in the bill. On more then sexuality.
    On this
    Most of the bill that is not about the privacy of children are already things public information.
    You want to know what your children are tought? Ask the school and boom! Might even be on a school website!

- - - Updated - - -

"children have the right to privacy from their parents"

That kind of negligent parenting is the kind that ends up having your daughter become an only fans 304.
    Hey, if I'd have a daughter who'd earn extra money from selling feet pictures to simps from the safety of her room? Whom am I to look down on that?
    - Lars

Should work both ways, shouldn't it? Get together with other parents who like reality and demand it to be taught

(4) Parents’ concerns over content and pedagogy deserve to be heard and fully considered by school professionals.
    (5) Parent and other community input about schools that is presented in a lawful and appropriate manner should always be encouraged.

The part that always will bother me is the notion that if you don't like something then everyone else has to dislike it.

If these people want to kid to not learn something, fine. As a parent, you can make that choice for your child. What you don't have the right to do is now expect everyone else to not learn it by banning it. You also don't have the right to demand everyone else has to learn something because you want your child to learn it.

Much like a TV show, music or anything else, you can turn away from it. Don't force everyone else to adhere to your nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The part that always will bother me is the notion that if you don't like something then everyone else has to dislike it.

If these people want to kid to not learn something, fine. As a parent, you can make that choice for your child.
    Why should that ever be allowed?

Even home-schooling here is held to the same curriculum standards as public schools are. You can do religious education, but that has to be supplemental, not in place of. You don't, for instance, get to refuse to teach kids about evolution because you're a young-Earth creationist home schooler.

Purposefully teaching your kids false things because you're an ignorant asshole is a form of child abuse.

At a certain point, the response of the schools has to be "if you don't like it, pull your child out and find another education system that meets provincial/state standards".

Especially about religious issues. In secular schools, religious concerns about curricula should be intentionally and deliberately ignored, at all levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    At a certain point, the response of the schools has to be "if you don't like it, pull your child out and find another education system that meets provincial/state standards".

Especially about religious issues. In secular schools, religious concerns about curricula should be intentionally and deliberately ignored, at all levels.
    Isn't this a school board thing, though? I know there's requirements that the school's need to meet but isn't a lot of what goes in inside a school regulated by its board? A board that over the last few years has had the aforementioned ignorant assholes taking over?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Isn't this a school board thing, though? I know there's requirements that the school's need to meet but isn't a lot of what goes in inside a school regulated by its board? A board that over the last few years has had the aforementioned ignorant assholes taking over?
    In Ontario, the school board's provincial, and held to provincial regulations it has no capacity to change. If your system's letting religious extremists and bigots run the school system, then that's your system failing when it has no reason to be that flimsy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In Ontario, the school board's provincial, and held to provincial regulations it has no capacity to change. If your system's letting religious extremists and bigots run the school system, then that's your system failing when it has no reason to be that flimsy.
    The last part is the US South school system. It's starting to look like its a systemic plan to rewrite American education by refusing to teach any of the things that make it look like anything but the "Best Country in the World" propaganda that has been spit out since the country's inception.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

15+ Year Old Account
    Wrong...

Public school is meant to learn math, reading, history, language arts, etc.

Not to shove political crap down my kids throat because their narcissist teacher needs to be affirmed by minors.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, currently cooking in my wife's belly.

And like a good parent I want to know everything that my child is going to be exposed to both at school and at home.

Because that's what actual good parents do.
    "There are only two genders, son" is just as much of a political talking point as saying "People should have the respect and freedom to choose how they feel about their own gender."

Also lol @ people still calling trans people groomers when the vast majority of people arrested for pedophilia are youth pastors, preachers, ministers, and right wing politicians. Ultra mega projection. Perhaps you should worry about your kids being in spaces with religious leaders and right wing political leaders far more than you worry about the political leaning of their sex ed teacher. After all, Republicans are literally attempting to change the laws around the country to make sex ed a criminal offense since it isn't already.

Spare me this "groomer" bullshit since I heavily doubt you're going to give your kid the freedom of choice in their life, and instead attempt to force your own world view upon them while constantly trying to warn them about liberals. Hilarious how many parents think it's their absolute right to indoctrinate their kids how they see fit, when it only ends up hurting the kids down the line as the only thing they've ever known are their homeschooling parents' narrow minded politics.

- - - Updated - - -

"children have the right to privacy from their parents"

Helicopter parent alert. I had written up this long post about how you shouldn't be a parent, but I'll just shorten it down to this: The fact that you used a shorthand slang for "onlyfans whore" that only exists in the most misogynistic spaces of the internet (Combined with your extreme misogyny in the RvW thread), I feel extremely sorry for whatever daughters you may have. Maybe if you homeschool them and deny them real world experience and friends, you can indoctrinate and groom them enough that they'll be willing to be married off to some rich conservative asshole that beats them every night like your Top G idol Andrew Tate.

Also, extremely hilarious that you praised Tate so much in the past when his biggest source of income after quitting kickboxing, literally was making his girls camwhores.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2023-03-26 at 08:09 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I wonder why we have to hear about "both sides" every fucking time some Republican asshats try and/or succeed to implement policy that makes life worse in the country.

Oh. That's right. Because we have to pretend that it's not just one side of the aisle trying to drag us back to the dark ages, where they get to burn all the witches and enslave all the others they could possibly want.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Ah yes, the Politics Over Parents Act. Slimy fuckers. It makes sense from their perspective, though. They know they can't get anything without bipartisan support passed, so they're just going to put on a big disgusting show for their most extreme base to keep them happy. Meanwhile everyone else looks on in disgust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Same clowns cried about the prospect of feeding hungry kids.
    Yeah but like, that costs money, and we can't be taking money away from our moronic supporters valued taxpayers. Bullying trans kids is completely free, so of course they're onboard with it!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Because I live in a blue state, so most of what I deal with is the democratic version of the same thing. But yes, I'd agree that republicans are worse.
    What’s the democratic version of making it easier to sexually abuse your child because they can’t talk about bad touching at school?

I’ll wait.