Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Im only a few hours in, but so far this is a direct upgrade to botw in every way, because I personally had to push myself through some of botw, but there was stellar moments like all those gerudo quest and such. Here just the regular combat using stuff I make improve the gameplay enough for me to probably not feel dragging.
    The vast amount of creative options makes this game pretty fascinating. There's shit like fusing a minecart to your shield, and then when you go shield surfing on minetracks you rail grind them. Fusing a mushroom to a weapon turns it into a bouncy stick and you can launch bokoblins into the water. Fusing a ruby to a stick turns it into a fire rod. There's all sorts of fun things to play around with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know the videos of people making giant mecha are going around on Youtube, but if you're not making a rocket booster 6 wheel offroader with flame throwers like it's Mad Max, are you really travelling in style?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone else just constantly fighting the controls, or is my brain just not used to controllers anymore. Like, why in the year of our lord 2023 can we not remap controller buttons for in-game actions

10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts so far:

- LOVING that the dungeons look like they are going to be individual and unique. Mind you I've only done the Rito one, but the moment Wind Temple I squealed with joy. The Divine Beasts were cool (especially hated the Camel because it was so creepy looking) but thematically they all felt the same. And on that note...
    - Boss variety! First boss of the first dungeon WASN'T a <insert elemental-blight> Ganon! That's a good sign in my book.
    - Story and theme: This game feels like fanservice, in a good way. Sages? Check. Temples? Check. Weird timey-wimey shit? Check. Apparent gods but not really? Check. Weird creepy-ass underground zone? Check.

Hating:
    - Weapon durability. It's a bit better this time round being able to make weapons with Zonai parts, but still horrible feeling.
    - Some enemies just feel like they deal ABSURD amounts of damage. I was in the first dungeon, 5 hearts. Get hit by a Zonai robot and die instantly. Complete K.O.
    - Side-stepping/Backflipping feels weak/off. IDK if its the same as what we had in BotW, but it doesn't feel like a good dodge.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Game has sold 10m copies in 3 days

https://nintendoeverything.com/zelda...t-3-days-more/

This article is from when ER announced 12m

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=209ecbfe3c43

It has some good comparisons for how 10m in 3 days would stack up against some of the all time sellers, ie cyberpunk took around 3 weeks to reach 13.7m.

To postmortem the launch.

1. As of this writing, still highest ranking game ever on opencritic, 10/10 from ign and gamespot, 96 rating after 93 reviews on metacritic, and 8.7 user rating on metacritic
    2. 10m units in 3 days
    3. Viral online due to high monetization from websites(guides, opinion pieces, ect) and organic construction of wacky things inside the game by the community
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2023-05-17 at 03:10 PM.

Been seeing discussion in other places down playing tears dungeons as being the same as the divine beats from BoTW and this is absolute bullshit. Some Zelda purists can be in a tizzy because they don't loot a dungeon map or keys but these are absolutely unique hand crafted dungeons and not the absolute garbo copy pasted and shuffled trash divine beasts where. Divine Beasts didn't even have unique boss fights ffs, the temples do.

10+ Year Old Account
    That 10 million sales in under a week also places it 2nd highest selling Zelda game of all time.

Don't be surprised if it eclipses Breath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    - Some enemies just feel like they deal ABSURD amounts of damage. I was in the first dungeon, 5 hearts. Get hit by a Zonai robot and die instantly. Complete K.O.
    - Side-stepping/Backflipping feels weak/off. IDK if its the same as what we had in BotW, but it doesn't feel like a good dodge.
    I've also noticed both these problems, the damage being absurd sticks out more because dodging in this game seems even harder than previous. Also a lot of creatures got new attack animations, so you don't know if they're going to swipe or cleave until it's too late to react and you get tapped.

Need to start finding armour and unlocking fairies.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    That 10 million sales in under a week also places it 2nd highest selling Zelda game of all time.

Don't be surprised if it eclipses Breath.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also noticed both these problems, the damage being absurd sticks out more because dodging in this game seems even harder than previous. Also a lot of creatures got new attack animations, so you don't know if they're going to swipe or cleave until it's too late to react and you get tapped.

Need to start finding armour and unlocking fairies.
    The combat hasn't been updated at all, it's really bad. There's tons of huge issues like no dedicated dodge, too easy to break the game with armor upgrades, flurry rush is inconsistent and nonsensical, running and attacking is awkward. I know combat isn't the focus, and it's fine for the most part, but BoTW had all these problems and they didn't bother to address any of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I am able half way through Tears of the Kingdom and I say I don't know exactly how I feel. I am enjoying the game, but it feels like what Breath of the Wild should have been.

I am loving the varied enemies, I am loving the abilities and exploration (save for the underground. That's not enjoyable for me.)

This is one of the few true sequels in Zelda and is the first one where it is set in the same region as the prior.

- - - Updated - - -

Hating:
    - Weapon durability. It's a bit better this time round being able to make weapons with Zonai parts, but still horrible feeling.
    Like with Breath of the Wild, there is an implied order to do things in where certain things are easier than others.

I am going to mark spoilers because I have only done two of the dungeons thus far The Rito dungeon I did first and based on information about other quests it appears Rito is the first one intended. I then did Goron dungeon (after speaking with Purah said it was safer in the North vs the South) where I felt completely unable to do it where the difficulty was much harder while the Rito I felt unchallenged outside of figuring out where to go.

Once I beat the game I'll go over everything. Right now I have about 20-25 hours played.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    it feels like what Breath of the Wild should have been
    It feels like what a sequel to Breath of the Wild should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    Nah.

This doesn't feel like a sequel to me. It feels in some weird in between of the same game with DLC and a sequel.

Like it isn't the same game, but it doesn't feel enough like a sequel either. It is the oddest of the Zelda game sequels for me.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    Nah, the original comment is correct. It's BoTW but fleshed out with hand crafted dungeons and unique boss fights. It's what BoTW should of been if so much work on BoTW wasn't put into getting the physics engine to work properly to the point where most of the rest of the game had no unique content outside of hyrule castle, lost woods and the final boss everything in BoTW was used many, many times over. Tears ofc still has tons of re-used stuff but it has enough unique shit to actually feel like a Zelda game and not a damn tech demo in a huge ass world.

It's definitely not a DLC though, I don't agree with those bullshit takes at all. There is a reason the game took 6 fucking years to make even with already having a base to work with from BoTW. You can see the amount of work and care that went into it, and you won't find any DLC with even 1/10th of that.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-05-19 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am able half way through Tears of the Kingdom and I say I don't know exactly how I feel. I am enjoying the game, but it feels like what Breath of the Wild should have been.

I am loving the varied enemies, I am loving the abilities and exploration (save for the underground. That's not enjoyable for me.)

This is one of the few true sequels in Zelda and is the first one where it is set in the same region as the prior.

- - - Updated - - -

Like with Breath of the Wild, there is an implied order to do things in where certain things are easier than others.

I am going to mark spoilers because I have only done two of the dungeons thus far The Rito dungeon I did first and based on information about other quests it appears Rito is the first one intended. I then did Goron dungeon (after speaking with Purah said it was safer in the North vs the South) where I felt completely unable to do it where the difficulty was much harder while the Rito I felt unchallenged outside of figuring out where to go.

Once I beat the game I'll go over everything. Right now I have about 20-25 hours played.
    I've still only beaten the Rito temple. Been running around getting the Geoglyphs, doing shrines (which I'm half tempted to 100% them this time bc the reward sounds really cool and interesting), getting all of the sky towers..

I'm really liking the depths. It's got this Lost Izalith/Dark Souls vibe to it: weird ruins, weird plantlife, creepy floating knights (who look like Humanity's to me - those black spirit things with white outlines from Dark Souls 1).
    Really creepy and dangerous. And from a design standpoint it's really making me ask wtf it is story wise. It's not correct, is the only way I can describe it.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2023-05-20 at 01:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah.

This doesn't feel like a sequel to me. It feels in some weird in between of the same game with DLC and a sequel.

Like it isn't the same game, but it doesn't feel enough like a sequel either. It is the oddest of the Zelda game sequels for me.
    Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time, systems and gameplay wise not story?

I haven't played Tears yet but that's the impression I'm getting.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Majoras Mask to Ocarina of Time, systems and gameplay wise not story?

I haven't played Tears yet but that's the impression I'm getting.
    Honestly yeah. Best way to describe it.

Story spoilers for Tears of the Kingdom: the story's are similar if you flip them though. Majoras Mask/BotW: 4 giant creatures are saved In order to prevent the apocalypse. Ocarina/TotK: Link and Zelda accidentally allow Ganondorf to regain power and bring about an age of darkness (in ocarina, link and zelda try to plot and stop ganondorf in the past but he succeeds), go around to temples to get magic maguffins and Sages in order to fight him.

General zelda lore question: has there ever been a male gerudo that ISN'T Ganondorf, or is the 100 year male gerudo specifically the Gerudo's interpretation of Ganondorf/Demise being reincarnated every generation? If Ganondorf is alive but sealed, can a male gerudo still be born?

Honestly yeah. Best way to describe it.

Story spoilers for Tears of the Kingdom: the story's are similar if you flip them though. Majoras Mask/BotW: 4 giant creatures are saved In order to prevent the apocalypse. Ocarina/TotK: Link and Zelda accidentally allow Ganondorf to regain power and bring about an age of darkness (in ocarina, link and zelda try to plot and stop ganondorf in the past but he succeeds), go around to temples to get magic maguffins and Sages in order to fight him.

General zelda lore question: has there ever been a male gerudo that ISN'T Ganondorf, or is the 100 year male gerudo specifically the Gerudo's interpretation of Ganondorf/Demise being reincarnated every generation? If Ganondorf is alive but sealed, can a male gerudo still be born?
    They just say that a male is born every hundred years and he is always made king. It's not nescesarrily always Ganondorf.

Not sure of normal price, but hardcover on sale for 26.99 buck rn in US, I preordered 2.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1913330001...look_titleToDp

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/1913330001

10+ Year Old Account
    Tears of the Kingdom dungeon details/grievances with themes while I'm playing WoW:

I'm a simple man, but if there is an Earth temple in this game (looking at you, Gerudo Desert) and it's in the SKY, I might throw hands. I know the sky is the fun new mechanic/thing for the game, but ATM I've encountered 2 temples that are in the sky. Wind Temple I get, it's the WIND Temple. I was thinking, MAYBE the Water Temple might be in a lake or something - heck we've got an Ocean! And there is virtually no water gameplay (that I know of, they could surprise me), but they could have made glass walls and make it look like its underwater. But yep! Water Temple is in the sky. Rain, I get it. But still..

They've also got an entire UNDERGROUND zone that they could plop an Earth Temple in and cut off from the Gloom effects. I'm praying at this point that it isn't in the sky, lol. Fire Temple, IDK. They've got a perfectly good volcano sitting there, but that's spewing Gloom so /shrug.

/mini-rant over

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    They just say that a male is born every hundred years and he is always made king. It's not nescesarrily always Ganondorf.
    Fair point. I guess we would have heard by now if there was another male of note besides Ganondorf.

Tears of the Kingdom dungeon details/grievances with themes while I'm playing WoW:

I'm a simple man, but if there is an Earth temple in this game (looking at you, Gerudo Desert) and it's in the SKY, I might throw hands. I know the sky is the fun new mechanic/thing for the game, but ATM I've encountered 2 temples that are in the sky. Wind Temple I get, it's the WIND Temple. I was thinking, MAYBE the Water Temple might be in a lake or something - heck we've got an Ocean! And there is virtually no water gameplay (that I know of, they could surprise me), but they could have made glass walls and make it look like its underwater. But yep! Water Temple is in the sky. Rain, I get it. But still..

They've also got an entire UNDERGROUND zone that they could plop an Earth Temple in and cut off from the Gloom effects. I'm praying at this point that it isn't in the sky, lol. Fire Temple, IDK. They've got a perfectly good volcano sitting there, but that's spewing Gloom so /shrug.

/mini-rant over

- - - Updated - - -

Fair point. I guess we would have heard by now if there was another male of note besides Ganondorf.
    There is no earth temple and the other 2 temples are 100% not in the sky at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There is no earth temple and the other 2 temples are 100% not in the sky at all.
    Hmm, interesting. With 2 dungeons so far being 2 of the 4 elements, I'd figured the other 2 would be the remaining Elements (considering 1 of them being Goron/Death Mountain which is almost always Fire).
    Guess I've got another thing to look forward to.