Page 1 of 3
LastLast

current gear systems

How do you guys feel about the current gear system? I feel somewhat overwhelmed by it, and wish it were somewhat more simple.

• "Tiers of gear" that can be upgraded with different tokens, that can be formed by getting fragments. And this requires an extra currency (Flightstones)
    • Splintered Sparks of Shadowfame, that ened fragments. And then there are other tokens to make craftable gear better (forgot name right now)
    • Embelished gear
    • Revival Catalyst? I just found out this thing existed today

And somehow a few of the systems from last patch are now useless(?) correct me if i'm wrong. Storm Sigils, Elemental Overflow, Primalist gear

There's also that weird ring from the Vaults. I also had problems with the Vaults, it just floded your inventory with items, most of the time I had no idea what they were for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to agree, I think they are over complicating gear.
    Adding 1 or 2 different types isn't bad, but I feel there are like 15 different versions of gear now. It's a big annoying and the materials just take up too much bag space.
    Selling myself out below

I don't really understand how crests are better then valor. Valor just seems a more steady and reliable system while juggling crests feels tedious. I missed the first few weeks of the patch and now struggle to have enough heroic crests to use my aspect ones.

The first season of dragonflight was simple and almost elegant in terms of gearing. This second season is an overcomplicated mess so I unsubscribed and I'll be back when/if they simplify it. "Let gear be gear" lasted for what, two patches?

Man, how can anyone take this shit seriously.

You just discovered something thats in the game for the 3rd time, aka averagely over a year.

And "complicated", how is it complicated?

Grab the item, walk to the upgrade dude "You need XXX Flintstones and X item to upgrade".

Passively do the campaign, get the drops and have more than 5 IQ to realize "Oh , the new stuff drop from doing content (COLOR ME SURPRISED HERE, STUFF ARE GIVEN BY DOING CONTENT?).

I didnt read shit about the system, logged on 3 weeks ago, did the campaign did the 2 crappo quests that basically say "Yo, idiot, you click here and then there to upgrade, hard yeah ?We have to put in these quests though", so same as it always has been in forever, how complicated.

And of course you are all mega clueless and complain about something that is a massive benefit to you self proclaimed casual gamers, considering now useless WQ items and LFR items can go up to Normal item levels without ever having to do anything else.

They aint even locked by score, my shitty retri Paladin got a 2hand first week from LFR, voila 424 weapon cause of this amazing system, now it can clear +15s.
    Last edited by potis; 2023-05-29 at 03:05 PM.

Pretty simple system 4 teirs of gear 4 teirs crests. They dont want to use valor because they dont want what happen before with being able to upgrade gear to max with out doing hard coneten.

Making the gear upgradable is a good soultion for people doing not so hard content to get into the next level of content if they wish or just stay at the level you feel comfortable with. Other than gear there really isnt much else of a reward for doing higher difficulties. Its not like they get to see part of the game you dont

I don't like gear treadmill, period. I'd prefer to earn an item and it is viable to use forever. Ie, obtaining a sword that has a chance to multi-hit, which would then be useful with other gear that increases multi-hit and adds status effects your attacks like paralysis, poison, burn, freeze, etc. So you obtain a lot of items that can be used for a lot of different builds and never need to be thrown out due to powercreep.

Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    I don't really understand how crests are better then valor. Valor just seems a more steady and reliable system while juggling crests feels tedious. I missed the first few weeks of the patch and now struggle to have enough heroic crests to use my aspect ones.
    You can downgrade aspect ones via vendor, you only need 1 per itemslot ever and 4 for crafting every 2 weeks. Valor was nowhere near as good as this - if you spent your valor on something, it's gone, not even speaking about valor allowing you to upgrade single item maybe 2 times a week if not less, and current lets you fully upgrade 4-6 items. Currently it costs nothing to upgrade better item in same slot so you don't sit on your crests waiting for perfect item. Also it gives opportunity for more casual players to access gear eventually overtime.

While that is a good idea the game would be to complicated for the casuals and thats who they aim to please that sounds more classic/aarpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    it just floded your inventory with items, most of the time I had no idea what they were for.
    Pretty much all of DF. I have 4 empty slots and I cba to figure out if I actually need all the trash in my bags. They're probably needed for some pet or mount or cosmetic. Blizz has outdone themselves this expansion with soulbound currencies that serve only one purpose that sit in our bags.

On topic, too complicated for some friends and guildies and that's a problem. The info isn't easily understandable and those who don't keep track even a little - on an external site or youtube video - miss out. Like ppl putting the annulet ring in the bank because it doesn't look good to them and they dont realize it can be upgraded.

Another flaw with this system is the crafting. Works great on populated servers, it's miserable on dead servers like mine. Hardly anyone to craft nieche items like a shield, I had to level up an alt and level BS for that. And recipes that supposedly drop are very scarce and very expensive. We bought the lariat with guild funds toward the end of S1 because we couldn't find crafters.

So overall, I think I hate it. Has good parts, but made me feel bad and want to quit for not having access to things others have. It's not my fault my server is dead.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2023-05-29 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't like gear treadmill, period. I'd prefer to earn an item and it is viable to use forever. Ie, obtaining a sword that has a chance to multi-hit, which would then be useful with other gear that increases multi-hit and adds status effects your attacks like paralysis, poison, burn, freeze, etc. So you obtain a lot of items that can be used for a lot of different builds and never need to be thrown out due to powercreep.
    So, basically, you want gatekeeping to keep the new players out of your ingroup.

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    You can downgrade aspect ones via vendor, you only need 1 per itemslot ever and 4 for crafting every 2 weeks. Valor was nowhere near as good as this - if you spent your valor on something, it's gone, not even speaking about valor allowing you to upgrade single item maybe 2 times a week if not less, and current lets you fully upgrade 4-6 items. Currently it costs nothing to upgrade better item in same slot so you don't sit on your crests waiting for perfect item. Also it gives opportunity for more casual players to access gear eventually overtime.
    How many runs do you think someone does that they have so many aspect they afford to downgrade them? I have like 6 aspect and 2 of the lower ones. I ran 5 keys this week and 15 last qeek and the idea of running more for the lower crests alone is annoying. I just won't.

You could fix valor in the same way. If you upgraded something vith valor, it cost less the second time. And you could give less valor for quests and crap. Now i have my inv flooded with some crests I never use for anything because we need the illusion of upgrades for all.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2023-05-29 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    How many runs do you think someone does that they have so many aspect they afford to downgrade them? I have like 6 aspect and 2 of the lower ones. I ran 5 keys this week and 15 last qeek and the idea of running more for the lower crests alone is annoying. I just won't.

You could fix valor in the same way. If you upgraded something vith valor, it cost less the second time. And you could give less valor for quests and crap. Now i have my inv flooded with some crests I never use for anything because we need the illusion of upgrades for all.
    You get as many aspect as you get wyrm, only difference is the key level. Time gets 12, overtime 5. So the number of runs doesn't change at all.

And no, you cannot fix valor the same way. The difference is that you have to do at least 16/Mythic raid to get Aspect. You got valor for every difficulty.

Flight Stones might as well just be removed for how ubiquitious they are, though. They aren't really a meaningful limitation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving the overall of the gear system added to Dragonflight.

On main:
    Gear X drops with an ability to be upgraded, max out the upgrade to reach a higher level for solo content players (unlike in the past where it was just, you have what you've got, deal with it while the rest of us gets upgrades).

On alt:
    Gear X drops with an ability to be upgraded, max out the upgrade at a cheaper price because your main has a higher item level, making it easier to reach a higher level for solo content players (unlike in the past where it was just, you have what you've got, deal with it while the rest of us gets upgrades).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The only thing I personally dislike is that if I get a Hero item from a 16-17 key, I must have a Wyrm tokens to upgrade it ( from 11-15 keys ).

So instead of doing harder content, I have to go back and do lower keys? This is kinda ridiculous tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    The day the Mythic Progression Thread isn't 95% trolling is the day Prime comes back to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post
    The only thing I personally dislike is that if I get a Hero item from a 16-17 key, I must have a Wyrm tokens to upgrade it ( from 11-15 keys ).

So instead of doing harder content, I have to go back and do lower keys? This is kinda ridiculous tbh.
    You can downgrade crests to lower grade crests (aspect -> wyrm for instance)

I like the current system, except for one major thing: they changed the PvP gear to only work inside battlegrounds. This means you have to remember to change it when you get inside one, because outside you'll want to use the gear you obtain from quests and dungeons. That's just stupid to me, and I see no reason to change it.

The rest is all right. I have no problems gearing up outside of M+, and the whole currency system was confusing at first but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I only wish they didn't brought back sets, they're restrictive because if you don't have them you're basically crippling your character for no reason. And even worse, they usually balance classes around those effects, so at the end, you must have them.

I miss Azerite Gear so bad. It was really fun and allowed for tons of crazy builds.
    Battle for Azeroth
    Best focking Axpansion!

I have no idea how the system works. I just loot the pieces, see that it can be upgraded, if it can I go to Valdrakken to the upgrade guy, and if I have the required components (I have no idea how or where I got them), I upgrade it (if it got good stats for my class of course).
    MMO Champs :

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktperry View Post

Of the many things I don't like about this way convoluted gearing system of 10.1, this is practically a non-issue, since 1) you can downgrade aspects into wyrms and 2) pulling people into the mid tier of M+ helps those who are lower on the ladder. Otherwise, you have a lot of people doing low tier M+, but once you start climbing, there is a huge hole in the middle because most people tend to be either below or above you, thus creating a bottleneck that can be quite frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    How do you guys feel about the current gear system? I feel somewhat overwhelmed by it, and wish it were somewhat more simple.

• "Tiers of gear" that can be upgraded with different tokens, that can be formed by getting fragments. And this requires an extra currency (Flightstones)
    • Splintered Sparks of Shadowfame, that ened fragments. And then there are other tokens to make craftable gear better (forgot name right now)
    • Embelished gear
    • Revival Catalyst? I just found out this thing existed today

And somehow a few of the systems from last patch are now useless(?) correct me if i'm wrong. Storm Sigils, Elemental Overflow, Primalist gear

There's also that weird ring from the Vaults. I also had problems with the Vaults, it just floded your inventory with items, most of the time I had no idea what they were for.
    You have to be an astronomically massive idiot to not be able to look at crests/tiers and the upgrade guy once and be like "OK this is easy".

It was understandable from blizzards overcomplicated dogshit post about the system.

But basically after day 1 of the patch, it's a "you're an idiot" problem.