Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Halfway through the game, I started to spacebar through a lot of the side quests. As you sit through more of them, you start to notice that the general content for each sidequest gets extremely repetitive and they're just disguised ways of telling you to kill 8 Republic troops because the Sith troops are terrible. The voice acting sounds pretty average for the most part, which isn't bad, but it's also not worth the time wasted listening to it for me. When I listened to some of the menial tasks the NPCs were asking me to do, I was envisioning the equivalent in other MMOs and how they're more suited than listening to the same quest skeleton for the hundredth time.

No... spacebar hitters are better off in text based mmos..

Deleted
    After level 30 or so i started spacebarring it all except the class quest.

I love the story aspect of the game, and my first play through on my warrior who is currently lv40 I loved every minute of the conversations, however now that I made a few other characters I find my self skipping through the non-class specific quests because I pretty much already know what to do and want to just get right into it. The class quests tho are always fun to watch, can't help but talk back to my master as often as possible.

Class questchain: No
    Other quests: 75% of the time I cancel the dialogues and just read the subtitle

Sometimes I just want to play the game and slice through hordes of enemies. Unfortunately, traveling from a to b (tatooine, alderaan anyone?) and listening to all the dialogues just slow down the pace so much, especially when you arrive at a new questhub. The amount of voice-acting - although very well done - is just insane.
    Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at!

no..because that would be rude...people are talking ;p
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Deleted
    I have no illusions about SW:TOR's "endgame" at level 50 being worth anything, so to me the whole point of playing this game are the quests and the story. For the death of me I can't think of any good reason to be in any kind of a hurry to be moving forward, so watching the cut scenes is simply put heavenly. No need to read anything except very short sentences when choosing replies. I obviously don't have the subtitles on, so I'm not even reading those.

Now sure, the second time around the same quests might be skip-worthy, but for the first time... If you skip the dialogue, to me it's like watching a movie with the sounds muted and skipping ahead every few minutes. Sense, it makes none.

To be honest, without being accused of being a glorified fan boy: I generally like most of it. But sometimes the dialogue is pointless and cheesy. "I'll take care of that." "The force if with me." Stuff like that and the NPC doesn't explain everything in a very exciting manner 100% of the time either. I space through those, especially if my companions don't care about what I say, but mostly I listen and watch all the time. So maybe hitting the spacebar 10% of the time. Sometimes due to being bored and the rest of the time it is to show consideration to those who doesn't care about the story and whine about everyone having to tap "space" in the party chat. I remember their names and try not to group with them again as they ruined my immersion greatly.

That's pretty much how it is for me. You may play however you like yourself, but accept that others either don't have ADHD too. In general I find most people are as tolerant as myself and show consideration in TOR, but there's always that one kid that whines and bellows to force his opinion on the entire group for the sake of faster content as he wants to grind and not have fun already before hitting 50.

I see where you come from, but I also want to know which class you play, as my own class quests are really fun and fit my personality. It's not an adrenaline filled war-game but more of a puzzle and ambassador role you play as a Consular and I love it. Humans work differently, it's about picking the right class with the right story in this game to enjoy it. If you are still finding yourself spacing through the content you will have to just realize that you are the type of player that generally have very low patience and will prefer the standard approach of MMO's like WoW where you get a text box and can easily ignore the sometimes subpar storytelling elements. These players often only find great enjoyment in very well-designed solo-player games when it comes to story or generally enjoy action-based adrenaline rushes. Like Gears of War. Which has both a decent enough story and the adrenaline rush.

I'm basically just saying you are the picky type, and only enjoy reading/listening/watching stuff that never drags slightly on your patience in general. The problem in TOR then becomes that they have focused so much on story, or at least tried, so you are basically skipping half the content perhaps due to habbit or just because it doesn't fit you. The story doesn't need to be 100% bad because of that, TOR may just not be quite your game when it comes to the layout and RPG-elements it has. There is no doubt that TOR isn't as good as a RPG game like The Witcher 2 was, but it gives a decent effort at least, which allows me to enjoy the story more than in WoW.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-01-07 at 04:54 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I didn't find the story interesting, I would honestly have to stop playing, leveling my Sage is mind-numbing in the gameplay regard... That's a no from me.
    A bitter and opinionated individual.

Deleted
    I only spacebar through hc flashpoint conversations that I've already seen. I guess using spacebar for everything is killing the idea of your character progression, and I actually question why would you even play the game if you do so, and if you aren't enjoying the story.

your assumption there is actually incorrect.
    It wasn't an assumption as much as it was a sarcastic observation. It might as well be the same 3 voice actors.

I guess using spacebar for everything is killing the idea of your character progression, and I actually question why would you even play the game if you do so, and if you aren't enjoying the story.
    I don't know about you but I play video games for the game play. If all I cared about was the story I'd watch a movie or read a book. If the story was actually good and the NPCs actually delivered it with feeling, I might care about it more.

on my main, 36 operative, i still read/watch every cut scene.

when i roll an alt though, i skip it all :P one story is enough

edit: class quests i will watch through it all. but side quests, i often read ahead and skip the voice acting. or just skim read it and cut each line short.
    Last edited by asharia; 2012-01-07 at 05:23 PM.

I find this depressing that people buy a story based game but have no time for the story. :/

But I do space bar through dialogue i've seen half a hundred times before and after I've quickly read text when a NPC is speaking alien. I find alien language irritating.

Currently leveling my third Empire character, so yes I'm mashing spacebar except for story quests and quests I haven't done yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    If your skipping the cut scenes your first time through on quests then your simply playing the wrong game. Its no wonder why people who do this then turn around and complain that the quests are boring blah blah. Of course if you take all the meaning and context out of the quest, which the cut scene provides its no wonder you find them dull and boring.

I have had the best questing moments of ANY MMO ive played in this game. There are just some truly awesome and fun choices you get to make and see the outcomes of. Its sad to see people cheapen the experience but what ever floats your boat I guess. However you would be better served playing a console game, FPS or some other text based game cause this game really isnt your style.

I am enjoying myself on my way to endgame and very much look forward to getting into raiding and organized pvp with my guild soon. For those of you who say their is nothing to do.. then I guess we are playing different games cause I see lots to keep us occupied with more on the way in a couple of weeks. If raiding and pvp isnt your thing.. just like the cut scenes .. then I would have to say your just playing a game that doesnt cater to your taste in gaming and you need to find one that does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I am enjoying it so far. The only times I spacebar through is repeatable missions and Flashpoints I've already done. The voice acting is fine.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    I only space bar if I've done the quest before, other than that I absorb the story.

I watched stuff at first, but then I got tired of the majority of my time being taken up by spacing out during cut scenes, so now I spam space bar and the 1 button. Also I'm wayyyyy behind, everyone in my guild is 50 and starting to raid and they need mah tank skillz.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 01:14 PM ----------

I'll probably level a sorceror and watch everything I missed. (main is an assassin)

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    If your skipping the cut scenes your first time through on quests then your simply playing the wrong game. Its no wonder why people who do this then turn around and complain that the quests are boring blah blah. Of course if you take all the meaning and context out of the quest, which the cut scene provides its no wonder you find them dull and boring.

I have had the best questing moments of ANY MMO ive played in this game. There are just some truly awesome and fun choices you get to make and see the outcomes of. Its sad to see people cheapen the experience but what ever floats your boat I guess. However you would be better served playing a console game, FPS or some other text based game cause this game really isnt your style.

I am enjoying myself on my way to endgame and very much look forward to getting into raiding and organized pvp with my guild soon. For those of you who say their is nothing to do.. then I guess we are playing different games cause I see lots to keep us occupied with more on the way in a couple of weeks. If raiding and pvp isnt your thing.. just like the cut scenes .. then I would have to say your just playing a game that doesnt cater to your taste in gaming and you need to find one that does.
    This is a horrible assumption. There are loads people who will enjoy the game more if they space bar through stuff.

I spacebar if I've seen it before. Anything new, I watch.

Deleted
    when you said spacebar I thought this thread would be about jumping lol

I skip through some stuff once I get the general jist of what to do for the quest, not all the time though. the class quests in particular are pretty good.
    admit im getting a bit bored of always having my character respond in the same way but with a different choice on the wheel. normally its "so what do you want me to do?" or "I'll slaughter them all" or something along those general lines.(can you guess im sith?)

on the subject of spacebar, kinda miffed jumping while walking makes you move slower.