Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I feel the infraction system needs fine tuning.

i was recently banned for a few days for calling someone ignorant. previously i had an infraction for posting a non offensive image (the internet high five hand on a thread i was responding to frequently), and for posting a lmgtfy.com link (which is apparently against the rules, but i honestly didnt know). Upon the incident with me calling another poster ignorant, i reached my 15 infraction limit (5 per incident it seems) and was banned. Now it's really no big deal that i was banned, but it seems to me that the fraction system needs some work. As it is right now any mod can simply dock you for something, and it gets delivered by scrapbot and it's automatically 5 points.

Shouldn't there be differing values in this system? Or perhaps the length of time for the minor infractions should be shortened (it's roughly 3 months for anything)? Just seems like some of the infraction rules are seriously outdated/have not been worked on and thus resulting in some really pedantic bannings.

would love to hear other's thoughts on this.
    When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You broke the rules 3 times in a certain time frame (3 months) I really don't see why they should have to change it so you can break the rules more often. These infractions are here so that people who break them gets punished.

Really, breaking the rules 3 times in 3 months is more than enough for getting banned for a few days. many other forums you would have been permanently banned for breaking them several times.

The things you did ain't a serious offense, but as you noticed, when you do small things like that several times, it adds up. and that's a good system. you don't get punished instantly if you make a minor offense, but if you keep on doing them you will be punished,

There are already differing infraction values, for example, I believe signature/avatar infractions are only 4 points because they're not always intentional... All three of the things you were infracted for were intentional, and are deemed worthy of 5 points, I tend to agree with that value (even though I've been infracted for all three myself).

The first was a meme image. In the past, whenever a meme image is posted, other users start to post them and the thread is inundated with them.

The next is considered flaming (I believe), there's no reason that you need to include the slap in the face that comes with a lmgtfy link, you can just as easily provide the actual Google link.

And the third is also flaming, you can correct/disagree with someone without insulting them.

Honestly, I think we should all appreciate the infraction system, a lot of forums don't have it, and therefore ban immediately.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-10 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Corrected amount

There are differing amounts of points for different sorts of infractions. For example avatar and sig infractions are only 4 points, most infractions are 5 points, and there are some infractions that are worth 10 or 15 points. So essentially what you are asking for is in place already.

Deleted
    If I understand Rawt correctly -and I think I do- it's about allowing moderators to set the number of points per infraction, rather than a set amount of points per category. I myself have been given the same treatment a few times. Not always intentionally or severely breaking the rules, but always end up with 5 more points.

For example, me calling someone a troll would still let the moderator deal 5 points of damage. But me telling someone to "stop being an idiot" would give me only 3 points, as the moderator acknowledges that the other person was, in fact, acting like an idiot.

I realize how this would create situations where one person ends up banned (5 points while already having 10) while someone else only gets 3 points for the same kind of violation. But if that means you don't get temporary banned for something very minor, I am all in favor of such a system.

To clarify: You weren't banned, you had a 3 day suspension. Sorry, but that needed to be cleared up. A ban is something else entirely (and rarely used).

Infractions are active for 90 days and use a point system.
    For example:

User receives infraction for signature/avatar violations and receives 4 points
    User trolls a thread and receives 5 points
    User flames another user and receives another 5 points

At this point the user is 'safe' as the first level suspension (3 days) is at 15 points. Pretty much the only way to receive a suspension right away on the first offense is for major flaming, hateful language, unsafe images etc and was implemented that way to serve as a warning system. We used to have much lower thresholds (like 5 points was a 3 day suspension), but we had the option to warn the user.

Receiving 3 x 5 point infractions is a point that you're not adhering to the rules of the forum. Ignorance is not a valid excuse as the rules are generally posted in each forum (and in some Mods signaturs).

I certainly know, that when I infract I always explain why the user has been infracted, how to prevent it in the future, and tell them about how the infraction will last (and any future infractions may result in a suspension). Infractions are very straight forward and simplistic system that's been refined over years of debates amongst the mods.

Hope this helps....
    Last edited by Kelticfox; 2012-04-10 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally feel that the length of minor infractions is far too long - I mean 3 months for 'minor spam'? - something I don't even think should merit a 5 point infraction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post
    I personally feel that the length of minor infractions is far too long - I mean 3 months for 'minor spam'? - something I don't even think should merit a 5 point infraction.
    The fact that infractions decay at all is pretty generous. I really don't see the issue that you're given a 3 vacation if you break three rules within any 90 day period. It's really not that hard to post constructively.

Deleted
    I've been banned/infrancted in ways I deserves it in most occasions, but I've also been banned/infrancted for having a different opinion than a moderator wich name I will not mention.

A friend of mine did test it, he had a discussion on this forum and reported a player who didn't really was doing anything wrong...and the person still got suspended for it. As mean as that was, it did show that some mods don't care and just do wathever they like.

But maybe in the end it is better to overdo the infractions than to let the forums get out of hand...I wouldn't know, and I guess it's not my place to even doubt this system. The forum is live long enough so I can only assume than the biggest mods of this forum know what they are doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawt View Post
    i was recently banned for a few days for calling someone ignorant. previously i had an infraction for posting a non offensive image (the internet high five hand on a thread i was responding to frequently), and for posting a lmgtfy.com link (which is apparently against the rules, but i honestly didnt know). Upon the incident with me calling another poster ignorant, i reached my 15 infraction limit (5 per incident it seems) and was banned. Now it's really no big deal that i was banned, but it seems to me that the fraction system needs some work. As it is right now any mod can simply dock you for something, and it gets delivered by scrapbot and it's automatically 5 points.

Shouldn't there be differing values in this system? Or perhaps the length of time for the minor infractions should be shortened (it's roughly 3 months for anything)? Just seems like some of the infraction rules are seriously outdated/have not been worked on and thus resulting in some really pedantic bannings.

would love to hear other's thoughts on this.
    i dont think its the infraction system that needs changing, its the rules imo. but i won't go into it because thats against the rules :\

---------- Post added 2012-04-10 at 04:03 PM ----------

i dont think you should receive an infraction for sig size, a mod / scrabbot should remove the sig and send you a message why, if you do it again then get infracted..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    The fact that infractions decay at all is pretty generous. I really don't see the issue that you're given a 3 vacation if you break three rules within any 90 day period. It's really not that hard to post constructively.
    Infractions decay is generous? I'm sorry, but the way I have seen some 'infractions' handed out on these forums over the years as I have read them would have meant that so many posters would have been 'suspended' of 'banned' or whatever then these forums would have lost it's voice.

Posters should only ever receive infractions for serious breaches, and as I stated 'minor spam' does not fit into such a definition. You can get 5 points for such, and yet extreme bad language and defamatory posts are often over-looked.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that does need to be addressed is consistency in moderator actions.

I was once sent a PM by a mod regarding a post, warning me for it - which was fair. Then a few hours later, another mod came into the thread and gave me an infraction for it.

I didn't complain, because honestly, it was just a 5 pt infraction, and I only had one other active, so it didn't really inconvenience me any.
    With that said, retrospective 'justice' like that is kind of asinine.

Edit: Correction. Nearly 24 hours after. It's like it took them a day to sort through a thread that was now dead, to find something to hand out infractions for. For something I was already warned about.
    Last edited by Atrea; 2012-04-10 at 03:14 PM.

Don't worry, I got an infraction because I said I'm Christian and I really believe in the God.

well yeah if you break the rules in a row they ban you. the problem is that some moderators dont do their job, i also got infracted for calling a poster lazy for not reading a lil bit more and QQing hard for dk ability "nerfs". some mod that also posts on that thread infracted me for "flaming"

they just try to find something remotely close to be offensive and infract it.

And i think the infraction system is ok, rules need to ble clearer, since some mods are good doing theyr job and some others just have fun infracting whatever htey think goes against the rules

10+ Year Old Account
    As always, you can PM any mod/admin about a mod action, and they'll put it up for discussion in our appeals thread. However it's a somewhat different issue than what should occur as a result of the infractions themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?...es_infractions

Anyway, some of the stuff that falls under "Minor Spam" can be subjective, and it depends on which mod sees it, but generally, if you have 10 points or higher, re-read everything you post and think, "Will this offend anyone" before submitting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the way you moderators hand out infractions like candy in a kindergarten class, there wouldn't be anyone left on these forums if they didn't decay >.>

I just got through perusing a thread where almost every other post had <infracted> on it. None of them were offensive, and none of them really warranted an infraction. We have absolutely no control over times where a mod decides to go infraction happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    As always, you can PM any mod/admin about a mod action, and they'll put it up for discussion in our appeals thread. However it's a somewhat different issue than what should occur as a result of the infractions themselves.
    How often are these repealed though? Because some people like me will wonder if it's worth bothering.

A couple months back I got a 5 point infraction for "Racism" I think it was, for saying "To marry a korean girl you have to beat her dad at SC" which is a popularized joke and was completely in terms with the thread, however I never bothered appealing because me and my guild decided that's the single most ridiculous thing we've ever heard, so just decided to take it as a badge of awesome.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Mods have become pretty ridiculous around here.. As if they're on commision or something. I've seen people get infracted and banned for feck all..

MMO champ used to be much better.
    Cake!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    We have absolutely no control over times where a mod decides to go infraction happy.
    Which is a separate issue from the infraction system itself. Like I said above, you can appeal any infraction and it will be reviewed in our appeals forum, which rarely get less than 20 different mods weighing in on the validity of the infraction.