Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/st...16433104539650

Sure is a lot of guns taken out of the home of the right-wing extremist who murdered one person and injured more in Portland. I'm not sure why any individual would need this many guns to begin with, but oh well.

Bonus points for making Nazi furries mainstream news for this fuckin idiot Nazi fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022...9571645479515/

So-called "stand-your-ground" laws were associated with hundreds of new homicides every year in the United States, according to a study released Monday.

The laws, which remove the duty to retreat when facing an attacker before using deadly force, may have contributed to an 8%-11% increase in homicides nationwide, according to the study published in the peer-reviewed medical journal JAMA Network Open.

An additional 58 to 72 homicides were reported each month, totaling to more than 700 each year.

David Humphreys, an associate professor at the University of Oxford who worked on the paper, told The Washington Post that proponents of the laws often seek to center their justification around "actually having some protective effect on public safety and deterring violence."

However, the study showed no evidence of a decrease in homicides in any states after implementing the laws, while the nation overall reported an "abrupt and sustained" increase in monthly homicides and firearm homicides."

"There doesn't seem to be any evidence to show that and, you know, we only seem to see the opposite effect," Humphreys said.

Increases in homicides were greater in southern states such as Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Louisiana, with spikes of as much as 35%. Other states such as Arizona, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia did not report significant changes in homicide rates after implementing stand-your-ground laws.

Michael Seigel, a doctor and researcher at Tufts University School of Medicine, said he believed the "most important factor" to increasing homicides related to stand-your-ground laws is public awareness of the law change.

"One possible explanation for the outcomes observed in these early-adopting states is that the campaigns to adopt these laws were accompanied by high levels of media coverage and public debate, resulting in very high awareness of the existence of the new laws," he wrote in commentary on the study for JAMA Network Open. "More recently enacted [stand-your-ground] laws tended to be pushed through state legislatures without much discussion or fanfare, which could have resulted in much lower levels of public awareness of the change in these statutes."

Siegel also suggested some other factor such as "a culture of violent self-defense, a high prevalence of gun ownership, or easier access to guns because of weaker state regulation," may be interacting with the laws to lead to the increase in homicides.
    In which, again, guns don't promote safety but rather result in additional violence and unnecessary deaths so a bunch of "macho" dudes can feel like Charles Bronson for killing someone for stepping on their property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/Johnnthelefty/st...16433104539650

Sure is a lot of guns taken out of the home of the right-wing extremist who murdered one person and injured more in Portland. I'm not sure why any individual would need this many guns to begin with, but oh well.
    I mean, that video shows three actual firearms.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean, that video shows three actual firearms.
    Looks like more in the bags, just not all long guns. Lots of evidence taken out that seems firearms related though as it seems they were getting all that shit out after tagging it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like more in the bags, just not all long guns. Lots of evidence taken out that seems firearms related though as it seems they were getting all that shit out after tagging it.
    You jump from 3 visible guns to "an arsenal" by making an assumption about what's in the bags? Okay. Why make that extreme assumption? It could just as easily be ammunition, which quite often takes up more space that the firearms themselves.

I mean, the guy is a douche-canoe Nazi-sympathizing murderer. But he only needed one gun for that. Broad and relatively unsupported assumptions aren't necessary to hate and criticize him.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean, the guy is a douche-canoe Nazi-sympathizing murderer. But he only needed one gun for that.
    Which goes back to my point about the Second Amendment, and dovetails lovely with the study on "stand your ground" laws linked earlier. I continue to oppose the Second Amendment right, while supporting legal gun ownership through strict licensing and regulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which goes back to my point about the Second Amendment, and dovetails lovely with the study on "stand your ground" laws linked earlier. I continue to oppose the Second Amendment right, while supporting legal gun ownership through strict licensing and regulations.
    No. It doesn't "go back to" that; at least not noticeably.

You'll have to be more explicit about whatever link you're trying to state.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it helps, but it's not a perfect fix, either; https://news.sky.com/story/freedom-c...y-law-12542205

Though it certainly happens a hell of a lot less often up here, even accounting for the proportional difference in population.

I'm not sure why any individual would need this many guns to begin with, but oh well.
    I'm always confused by why people find owning more than one firearm to be particularly concerning.

Seriously though, different guns are used for different purposes. One person who isn't even a collector could reasonably have an "arsenal" along the lines of:

- Bolt action rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting deer and long range target practice
    - Bolt action rifle chambed in 7mm Wby for hunting large game
    - .22LR handgun for target practice and small game
    - 10-22 for plinking and competition
    - 9mm handgun for self defense and competition
    - AR-15 chambered in 22LR for plinking
    - AR-15 chambered in 300BLK for home defense and competition
    - Shotgun for hunting turkeys
    - Shotgun for trap shooting

And so on and so forth. That's more than I own, but I also wouldn't consider it a particularly large collection and if someone's into sport shooting, they're going to want to have at least a half dozen firearms for different competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm always confused by why people find owning more than one firearm to be particularly concerning.

Seriously though, different guns are used for different purposes. One person who isn't even a collector could reasonably have an "arsenal" along the lines of:

- Bolt action rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting deer and long range target practice
    - Bolt action rifle chambed in 7mm Wby for hunting large game
    - .22LR handgun for target practice and small game
    - 10-22 for plinking and competition
    - 9mm handgun for self defense and competition
    - AR-15 chambered in 22LR for plinking
    - AR-15 chambered in 300BLK for home defense and competition
    - Shotgun for hunting turkeys
    - Shotgun for trap shooting

And so on and so forth. That's more than I own, but I also wouldn't consider it a particularly large collection and if someone's into sport shooting, they're going to want to have at least a half dozen firearms for different competitions.
    Look at your list there's a lot of redundancy here, it's better to go with I have lots of guns because I like them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Look at your list there's a lot of redundancy here, it's better to go with I have lots of guns because I like them.
    Competition is especially a great argument because every gun could be used for competition so obviously, it would only be reasonable for a person to have one of each.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Competition is especially a great argument because every gun could be used for competition so obviously, it would only be reasonable for a person to have one of each.
    You could say the same thing for every animal depending to the level of damage to the meat for consumption, it's just empty excuses really.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I think "I like them" is a perfectly good reason and obviously anyone that has a dozen firearms does like guns, but they're sufficiently distinct that I don't see much actual redundancy there. Anyone that does three-run competitions will strictly require a handgun, rifle, and shotgun; generally the handgun and rifle are required to be centerfire, so there's not really any wiggle room on having three guns there. The shotgun you're likely to use makes zero sense for hunting. Owning things chambered in 22LR is fairly practical if you just like shooting and don't want to spend a dollar per round.

But yeah, of course, it really comes down to "I like guns". I also own more bikes than I strictly need, both because I like bikes and because I actually do use them for different purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. Lots of things don't make any sense at all in competition shooting. I guess there might be some weird niche somewhere, but I don't think anyone's getting a muzzleloader for competition, they're getting them because of early access to deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think "I like them" is a perfectly good reason and obviously anyone that has a dozen firearms does like guns, but they're sufficiently distinct that I don't see much actual redundancy there. Anyone that does three-run competitions will strictly require a handgun, rifle, and shotgun; generally the handgun and rifle are required to be centerfire, so there's not really any wiggle room on having three guns there. The shotgun you're likely to use makes zero sense for hunting. Owning things chambered in 22LR is fairly practical if you just like shooting and don't want to spend a dollar per round.

But yeah, of course, it really comes down to "I like guns". I also own more bikes than I strictly need, both because I like bikes and because I actually do use them for different purposes.
    But it's no different than a rich guy who "needs" different cars for different purposes, you're a hobbyist as you said that's a perfectly good enough reason. However while it is a perfectly good reason it's not logical most things we like don't involve much logic. I can easily debunk your "needs" but that would be foolish on my part because it's shit you are doing for fun.

IDPA is stock guns, IPSC guns are very different. 3 gun as mentioned is pistol/shotgun/rifle, with PCC being Pistol Caliber Carbine. Of course Cowboy Action shooting requires a couple handguns, lever rifle, shotgun. Extra's are often setup in case there is a failure.
    Hunting has many different requirements depending on the size of the game.
    Self Defense has different requirements depending on the setup (house, ranch, on body concleaed or open carry). Open carry during hunting is also generally bigger guns than might be used during round the town open carry. Difference between coyote and bear, as it were.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ow/7290322001/
    Mass shooting in NY subway
    The gunman, who has not yet been identified, shot 10 people before fleeing the station in Brooklyn's Sunset Park neighborhood, law enforcement officials said Tuesday. At least six others were injured in the attack.

The attack took place during Tuesday morning's commute on a subway train in Sunset Park, a southwestern Brooklyn neighborhood that is about a 15-minute train ride to Manhattan.

As a Manhattan-bound N train waited to enter the 36th Street station during rush hour before 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, a man put on a gas mask, took a cannister out of his bag and opened it on the train, filling the train car with smoke, said New York City Police Commissioner Keechant L. Sewell.

The man then opened fire, striking multiple people on the subway and on the platform.

Videos from the scene shared on social media show the smoke-filled train car as passengers flee, some limping off the train. Other videos show bloodied passengers lying on the train platform.

There were currently no known explosive devices on subway trains, Sewell said.

Police were searching for the gunman, described as a Black man with a "heavy build" and who was wearing a green "construction-type vest" and gray hooded sweatshirt, Sewell said Tuesday.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul urged residents to stay vigilant at Tuesday's news conference and called the incident an "active shooter situation."

"This individual is still on the loose," she said. "This person is dangerous."

In an interview with NY1, Adams said the gunman "appeared to have a planned approach to terrorize our system."

"Getting into the source of why he did what he did, that is something that's going to come out after this investigation is completed," Adams said. "We're taking nothing off the table. We need to apprehend the person, dig into their background and get the details to give the proper classification."

There were 16 people injured in the attack, including 10 people who were shot, said Laura Kavanagh, first deputy commissioner of New York City Fire Department, at a Tuesday news conference. Other injuries resulted from smoke inhalation, shrapnel and "panic," Kavanagh said.

Five of the victims were in critical but stable condition. There were no life-threatening injuries, Sewell said.

No Metropolitan Transportation Authority workers were injured, the New York's Public Transit Union said in a statement.

Sewell said the attack is not currently being investigated as an act of terrorism but did not elaborate.

"We do not know the motive at this time, but we're not ruling anything out," she said.

William Bratton, a former New York Police Department commissioner, said evidence that the attacker may have been motivated by an ideological or political motive may surface later in the investigation, adding that the attack took place in a predominantly Asian community amid a recent rise in violence against Asian American communities.
    Hopefully they catch this guy before he can strike again.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ow/7290322001/
    Mass shooting in NY subway

Hopefully they catch this guy before he can strike again.
    He has been caught.

Posted racist, Black Nationalist nonsense for a while. Just like that dude that ran over the parade-goers in Waukesha, and the teacher that threatened to shoot up UCLA, and the guy that tried to start a race war in Fresno by murdering White people, and the guys that ambushed cops in Dallas and Baton Rouge, and...
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2022-04-13 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Lol @ Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Posted racist, Black Nationalist nonsense for a while. Just like that dude that ran over the parade-goers in Waukesha, and the teacher that threatened to shoot up UCLA, and the guy that tried to start a race war in Fresno by murdering White people, and the guys that ambushed cops in Dallas and Baton Rouge, and...
    "It's a mental health crisis!"

lol at the random dude who caught him being awesome, meanwhile the nypd are looking for homeless people to rough up.

the guy was fashy then, mentioned Marcus Garvey etc.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Lol @ Fox.
    I hope this is a more favorable source for you, Didactic! I know your dismissiveness was about that and not about this being a very uncomfortable topic for you.

- - - Updated - - -

"It's a mental health crisis!"
    Racism is, unironically.