Page 42 of 130 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's a design mistake to make everything accessible without making players learn their class.

Most players might say they want it that way but in the end they'll just leave and pick up a game that's far more entertaining that what WoW could provide them in the 2 hours of LFR per week, cursing at their RNG and then having the rest of the week with thumbs up their asses with nothing to do.

The point of rewards is to have the mentality of "I want it, and I want it now!" but that doesn't mean you give it them.
    It's a drive, a pull, to get through the hours and the wipes. Without it you'll see less and less players go for the harder stuff. It's fucking lab rat science.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    If anything, Blizzard is changing to even more casual and more accessible.
    I'm not surprised, Blizzard seems to have real trouble making meaningful and fun games these days (see D3 for example).

Quote Originally Posted by LeperHerring View Post
    I'm not surprised, Blizzard seems to have real trouble making meaningful and fun games these days (see D3 for example).
    Both diablo 3 and hots sold really well btw.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't seem to be just Blizzard, many game company having that issue right now.

Resident Evil went from survival horror to action
    Silent Hill now have RPG elements and health bars and such WTF
    Final Fantasy started losing its magic since XII

---------- Post added 2013-06-09 at 07:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    It sold really well, but the post sales reaction wasn't good. D3 sold well due to the hype from D2, if they make a D4 now I doubt it will be anywhere near.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Of course, the gamer market has insane brand loyalty and people will buy a box full of crap, literally, if it has "Blizzard" printed on it. D3 sold well, but it also failed to have anything resembling the longevity of D2. It's just a bad, poorly designed game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    The other side of the coin with this statement is that the content is there. They just need to do certain things to get into that content. Their $15 is the same amount as the guy who puts in the time and effort to see the content. Only, the one feels entitled to get into / see the content without putting any effort toward that goal, and the other is willing to.

---------- Post added 2013-06-07 at 09:34 PM ----------

You could still see the last chapter though, it was there for you to go out and grab. You just had to put some effort into doing so.

Okay, I'm gonna go with a very good example of this analogy:

It would be like if Stephen King died in the truck accident back in 1999 and we were all still stuck on Blaine because the Dark Tower series never got finished.

People went bonkers when he got hit by a truck because people knew he hadn't finished that series yet.

Raids normally end the storyline of a particular main storyline of an expac.

Watching youtube is not the same thing as completing it yourself. Watching a youtube video would be like someone writing fan fiction to end the Dark Tower series.

It doesn't seem to be just Blizzard, many game company having that issue right now.
    I think there are major issues in the AAA gaming industry in general. Sure many of those games sell well (as long as they have some old, well recognized brand) but the development costs are out of control and the games are often simply not fun and lack replayability. Luckily there is now a well developed indie industry that can produce far better value for money than these AAA studios (although there's plenty of totally crap indie titles and devs).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there are major issues in the AAA gaming industry in general. Sure many of those games sell well (as long as they have some old, well recognized brand) but the development costs are out of control and the games are often simply not fun and lack replayability. Luckily there is now a well developed indie industry that can produce far better value for money than these AAA studios (although there's plenty of totally crap indie titles and devs).
    Its because they are no longer making games for actual gamers and have gotten more focused on making sure their games appeal to larger crowds to make more money, which in turn lowers the quality of the game rather then actually trying to create something with it. This is a problem with the current WoW, removing rewards once content gets outdated have nothing to do with this game going downhill though.
    Last edited by zealo; 2013-06-09 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    Raids normally end the storyline of a particular main storyline of an expac.
    The storyline is what the warcraft books are about. The story is supposed to give the setting and background for the gaming experience, the game isn't supposed to be an interactive book for the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started in Wrath, your definition of a Wrath Baby.

I started in a guild that can barely finish normal most of the time, in fact they didn't even clear Ulduar. By ToC I have left them to join a guild that can clear normal reliably, but can barely touch HC, then by ICC I left them to join a guild that is 11/12 HC.

People if they want a challenge, they will know, because they will get bored with what is offered to them, then they will look for harder content, and improve while they are at it.
    And if that content was easily breezed through without effort? Would you still be playing WoW? Your guild struggled through normal and it whetted your appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    They do not know they want that challenge? What kind of twisted logic is that? Some people like challenge by nature, some don't. It's determined by your character, not by presence or absence of LFR.
    “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford
    Some people don't know what they want until they've been given a taste.

If you bothered to read, I also said "or that the game even offers it." People looking for a challenge can level cap, clear all content, and feel like they've seen everything without ever being challenged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    And if that content was easily breezed through without effort? Would you still be playing WoW? Your guild struggled through normal and it whetted your appetite.
    Second guild can clear normal though, but I still wanted something more.

Quote Originally Posted by termgp20 View Post
    Most people who complain about exclusive content will never even do it if it was changed to let more people in to see it.
    This. I was totally fine about not seing the inside off say Sunwell inn TBC, didn't mean I wasen't enjoying MH and BT raiding alot.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    This. I was totally fine about not seing the inside off say Sunwell inn TBC, didn't mean I wasen't enjoying MH and BT raiding alot.
    I enjoyed 5 mans immensely in vanilla and other people raiding and me not "seeing the content" didn't bother me one bit. If anything I thought it was great that the game felt so huge and there were all kinds of different players doing different things, it made the world feel "real" and alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second guild can clear normal though, but I still wanted something more.
    I repeat, if you had breezed through all those instances without any effort or challenge would you have stuck with the game? Did you know you wanted to do heroic raids as soon as you hit 80?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

Lastly people already do enjoy WoW, theres enough for them to enjoy, HC raiding is for those that want to be challenged, as such they deserve a little something extra for putting in the effort, not only that but they pave the way for other not so good players to follow. By creating guides, strategies and recording their progress.
    It's good then that Heroic raiding does get a lot of special somethings, like mounts and achievements and titles etc. And they give us other modes for those that like to enjoy the game at a more leisurely pace with appropriate rewards. And allow those that enjoy a leisurely pace to beable to eventually go back and get those rewards when it's not current content, and Heroic raiders have their new shinies.

I call that a good balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I repeat, if you had breezed through all those instances without any effort or challenge would you have stuck with the game? Did you know you wanted to do heroic raids as soon as you hit 80?
    When I first hit 80 I didn't even know the existence of HC, but the mentality that got me to join another guild was "this is too easy, I can do better than this", hence I changed guild that has better progression.

When you clear things without challenge that is when you start thinking "is there harder contents?", those people will then search and find HC raiding and improve for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I first hit 80 I didn't even know the existence of HC, but the mentality that got me to join another guild was "this is too easy, I can do better than this", hence I changed guild that has better progression.

When you clear things without challenge that is when you start thinking "is there harder contents?", those people will then search and find HC raiding and improve for it.
    You were already on the path of being challenged by normal in your first guild. The fact that they were struggling shows that it was a challenge. Same with the second guild. They were struggling with getting into heroic because it was a challenge. You just outgrew them.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Right now Blizzard has a fine solution to exclusize content, at least with respect to raid mounts. We get a 100% drop on the final boss during current progression, and then a reduced 1 or so % drop chance when the content is trivialized. This preserves the rarity of the mount (for some time) while still giving people motivation to do older content. And to be perfectly honest, if it weren't for raid mounts I wouldn't be raiding.
    An even better solution would be to make sure older tiers remain more relevant for non-LFR raids by having the raid weeklies like in WotLK.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Players cruise through LFR and think that's all the game has to offer, having never been challenged by the game in any way. It goes beyond LFR. All parts of the game where grouping happens are diminished by people not being challenged into learning their class/specs.
    Your opinion =/= fact. People play LFR because they choose to. How do you know normal dungeons or quests aren't challenging content to them? The answer is: you don't. All you are doing is putting your bias onto others and then wondering why they don't/won't improve.

people play for different reasons.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Your opinion =/= fact. People play LFR because they choose to. How do you know normal dungeons or quests aren't challenging content to them? The answer is: you don't. All you are doing is putting your bias onto others and then wondering why they don't/won't improve.

people play for different reasons.
    Please tell me how it's a challenge when people can literally do nothing while on /follow and still get through LFD and LFR.