Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

White TX male plays "Knockout" with black man. Arrested for hate crime.

A man has been charged with a federal hate crime in connection with what authorities say was a racially motivated "knockout" assault against an elderly black man, the U.S. Justice Department said Thursday.

According to the federal complaint, Barrett attacked the 79-year-old man "because of the man's race and color." He will next appear in court Friday afternoon for a detention hearing.

The suspect made a video of the attack November 24, the complaint said. In the video, he allegedly commented that "the plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?" He then allegedly "hit the man with such force that the man immediately fell to the ground. Barrett then laughed and said 'knockout,' as he ran to his vehicle and fled. The victim suffered two jaw fractures and was hospitalized for several days, the complaint said.

In a separate case, New York City police on Wednesday searched for a man who allegedly punched a 33-year-old woman in the back of the head in Brooklyn in what may be a "knockout" assault.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/26/justic...html?hpt=hp_t2

No, he didn't "play" "Knockout." He assaulted them.

Now, whether or not it was because of their race is another story.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

This game seems awful.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    This game seems awful.
    It's not a game, it's just assault being called a game to try to downplay what it is.

This guy didn't really commit a hate crime IMO, but he still did something wrong. While he obvious did target the man because of his race, it wasn't because he has anything against black people, it was to try to prove some moronic point.

If you're gonna hit someone, you better be sure they're the same color as you.

It was racially motivated.
    He did intentionally attack a black person, and even searched one out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    If you're gonna hit someone, you better be sure they're the same color as you.
    Or don't say on a video you are targeting a specific race or sexuality.

Edit: it's Texas, I would not be shocked to see an aggrivated enhancement because it was planned.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

If race is the discriminating factor when choosing a victim for a crime that crime is racially motivated and therefore a hate crime under certain statutes.

If the guy had hit a gay man specifically because he was gay it would be the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    It was racially motivated.
    He did intentionally attack a black person, and even searched one out.

- - - Updated - - -

Or don't say on a video you are targeting a specific race or sexuality.

Edit: it's Texas, I would not be shocked to see an aggrivated enhancement because it was planned.
    Racially motivated? Yes.
    Hate crime? Not really.

Betcha they call the black people who were doing this to white people heroes.
    ahhh racism. very similar to feminism.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Racially-targeted crime?" That most certainly is a hate crime.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    It's not a game, it's just assault being called a game to try to downplay what it is.

This guy didn't really commit a hate crime IMO, but he still did something wrong. While he obvious did target the man because of his race, it wasn't because he has anything against black people, it was to try to prove some moronic point.
    Not sure about this article but in the one I read he was SPECIFICALLY looking for a black person. Sounds like it could easily be called a "hate crime". Regardless the "game" is dumb as fuck and they should prosecute him as harshly as possible. These morons doing this need to be taught a lesson.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Your statement is so fallacious it makes my toes hurt.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    he allegedly commented that "the plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?" He then allegedly "hit the man with such force that the man immediately fell to the ground. Barrett then laughed and said 'knockout,' as he ran to his vehicle and fled. The victim suffered two jaw fractures and was hospitalized for several days, the complaint said.
    He attacked the person because of his race. It is a racially motivated attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Sad thing is, he got what he wanted. Televised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Have you seen my posts over the past few days? You should be asking yourself why I'm alive, not why I don't have friends.
    Change is inevitable, Growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Racially motivated? Yes.
    Hate crime? Not really.
    Racially motivated crimes are hate crimes.
    The technical term for hate crime is, Bias-motivated crime.
    Was there A biased motivation?
    Yesh.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2013-12-27 at 04:59 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy here we go again... What is this... the 4th thread?

Alright Knockout is a retarded game, and people rarely do it to others of their skin color and are dicks. We get it.

Exactly what I was thinking. When reports came out on black teens doing this to white guys it wasn't a hate crime.
    This game is fucking awful either way but they should call it equally both ways.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Racially motivated crimes are hate crimes.
    By legal definition, you're right, but I'm saying that he doesn't seem like he's a racist or hates black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. When reports came out on black teens doing this to white guys it wasn't a hate crime.
    This game is fucking awful either way but they should call it equally both ways.
    Funny where I am, in New Jersey they made it pretty clear that it was a race targeted crime.

Actually that's called Smack-Cam.