Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Are you asking why the government isn't treating your cosplay the same as a religion?
    Why do they get to claim an exemption to law? Should I be allowed to wear my outfit in public if I claim my religion says its ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    I can see almost everyone in this thread has never spent time among real stone hut dwelling muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Why do they get to claim an exemption to law? Should I be allowed to wear my outfit in public if I claim my religion says its ok?
    If you claim your religion requires a certain garb that doesn't present direct safety or health risks to the general populace you have my complete support in being allowed to wear it.

Deleted
    Well in the states that usually means its Halloween so that sounds nice.

You have a big epidemic of muslim women in Burqas assaulting people?

Its also pretty god damn hilarious to claim this is a secular action on all masks when it started with Sarkozy claiming religious face coverings weren't welcome and that the ban was specifically to protect women from having to wear them.
    Halloween doesn't sound nice at all. People who are covering their face are not to be trusted.

All the Monotheist religions breed extremism and hate in some form, the character of Yahwe allowed and encouraged many evil things, and both "God" and Allah spring from the same character and bear the same backstory. The main difference is that the Christians have gone down to insulting comments and disapproval instead of righteous murder and extermination. (At least in the West, you still have crazies like Kony and other extremism hiding elsewhere)

The Burka ban is about civil law. Muslims are free to use the other headcovers and to respect the law of the country they have come to. If they refuse to do that, well then they can always go elsewhere.

"When in Rome do as Romans do, or leave." It means, follow the laws and culture of the country you're in or leave.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    hmm... is that just plain popcorn? As in no butter.... WHAT KIND OF MONSTER IS HE.
    If it's not salted he can keep it tbh.

That's right, salted popcorn master-race.

Also I support a ban on the Burqa. The Hijab and various other variations of head (but not facial) coverings are fine. The Burqa is a public safety issue though; it's too easy to use it as a disguise where no other facial coverings are permitted (helmets, masks, etc). Not to mention the oppression of women that it stands as a symbol for by forcing them to cover up their entire bodies, which are the "property" of their husbands. It's an article of clothing that just needs to die out in the modern world, and religion should not be grounds for exemption from the laws of the land created to keep others safe regarding facial/full head coverings in public places.

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty... and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons... or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent... And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful"

— Qur'an
    Your body is for your husband's eyes/men in his family, or people who are incapable of understanding sexuality (ie, children) only. If that's not oppressive, I don't know what is. This is like telling girls they can't wear any skirts above ankle length because otherwise they'd be too sexy, which is unfaithful to your husband (the concept of covering up is based on "honor" towards men). If a woman wants to wear one at home, she can. Just keep it behind closed doors.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-07-02 at 01:22 AM.

Wells' devotion to the absolute, inalienable right to wear garments that conceal your face/identity would surely be welcomed among many in my native Northern Ireland at least.

Deleted
    If you claim your religion requires a certain garb that doesn't present direct safety or health risks to the general populace you have my complete support in being allowed to wear it.
    You can't just claim things and point to freedom of religion and expect them to allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I can see almost everyone in this thread has never spent time among real stone hut dwelling muslims.
    "Stone-Dwelling Muslims" are found in primarily Arab countries, right? I'm sure all the women covering their faces is OK there (or, well, mandatory), but...

....this is in France.... a European Country. Covering one's face is NOT ok there.

When you move into another country, you kinda have to follow the laws, rules, and customs of that country you move into, which is what the Muslims who moved into France should have realized and their kids need to grow up knowing/following the rules of the country they were born in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    If it's not salted he can keep it tbh.

That's right, salted popcorn master-race.
    You monster, jesus, toffee or go home.

Northern Ireland had/has a demonstrated danger associated with certain groups and their actions. I'm not aware that France is plagued by women in burqas blocking up cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    You can't just claim things and point to freedom of religion and expect them to allow it.
    The only other option is to have the government decide which religions are "real".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaelai View Post
    "Stone-Dwelling Muslims" are found in primarily Arab countries, right? I'm sure all the women covering their faces is OK there (or, well, mandatory), but...

....this is in France.... a European Country. Covering one's face is NOT ok there.

When you move into another country, you kinda have to follow the laws, rules, and customs of that country you move into, which is what the Muslims who moved into France should have realized and their kids need to grow up knowing/following the rules of the country they were born in.
    Tell them that.

Deleted
    The only other option is to have the government decide which religions are "real".
    Or they shouldn't respect religion at all. Would be simple. Religion doesn't have to be accomodated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice job France!

Or they shouldn't respect religion at all. Would be simple.
    Guess you don't take freedom of religion very seriously. Hint, it protects you as an atheist too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Because racism is only worthy of contempt.
    You do realise that there are white Muslims, dont you? Most of the Muslims in Europe are white, from either the Eastern Mediterranean or North Africa. It's only Britain that gets a majority of non-white Muslims, as we have historical links with Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    That is some serious head-in-the-sand dismissal of a real problem. It's not a few dozen nutjobs, it's thousands upon thousands upon thousands of loud, vocal, bold, aggressive people who hold views totally antithetical to western society. There is no broad moderate element keeping them in check.

You will be in serious doodoo twenty odd years from now, and those people will not care if you sympathize with their struggle against the western christian white patriarchy cis-genders. They will force their beliefs on you by law and by sword.
    Stop reading the Daily Mail, it's not good for your sanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I visit Saudi Arabia regularly. In fact, I am now in there. Want me to send your regards to those stone hut dwelling muslims?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Tell them that.
    I don't have to; the French Government already did that in very clear terms.

Deleted
    Guess you don't take freedom of religion very seriously. Hint, it protects you as an atheist too.
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

But seriously, lets just pretend this was totally just about making sure you could see someone's face....
    You were for secular values until you were against them.