Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade95 View Post
    Hey, he seems confident that they said that. I don't remember them at all saying they were finished, I did try to look it up and I found nothing.
    well if more then one person tells you and seem sincere just take there word for it then. Most wouldn't want to make up shit if it really bothers them.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    If you really wanted the proof you would take 2 seconds out of your life to google it rather than wait days for someone to go all emo on you and still stay without the source. All the models that you see on Battle.net model viewer are done, they said they aren't adding any unfinished models to it, which is why Human Female, Orc Female and Tauren Male are yet to be added. Plus we've kinda known Orc models are completely done since before Blizzcon. Get over it, the faces are staying.
    Did you even read my last post? I said I did try to look it up but found nothing.

But thank you for telling me why they might be finished. I believe you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    well if more then one person tells you and seem sincere just take there word for it then.
    Just did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    WHAT IN THE BLUE FUCK IS THIS???????

how do those anything at all like the originals. if i didn't know i'd think they're from different game. this is not an update, it's complete fucking reimagination. fuck that.
    i know dude, we're all in the same boat now, and I think its only going to grow as each new race updates are released.
    #boycottchina

Well so far it seems to me like the old faces has a lot more differences. Sure I can see some tiny ones in the new ones but it feels like one of those "find 5 differences" drawings/pictures where you have to search for awhile to find them. None of the faces stand out very much from each other. As for animations, I don't get that arguement? Are you saying all the different faces will have their own idle animations? Because I seriously doubt that. If not, they are still going to look the same even animated. Textures look almost the same, and they will have the same animations = same face. I really hope it doesn't end up the same way as female worgen and pandas.
    I don't get why they can't have even more differences in the textures themselves. I know there are some limits for them all to fit on the same model, but I still think they could push it a lot further even within those limits.

Deleted

how do those anything at all like the originals. if i didn't know i'd think they're from different game. this is not an update, it's complete fucking reimagination. fuck that.
    Now I've never played a female gnome, but those faces look significantly better than the old ones if you ask me. Overreaction much?

You know what's funny? The top face in the list is the one they previewed at Blizzcon. The one about which everyone said "It's just one face, stop complaining, it must be a new face, obviously there will be others that match the old ones..."

Turns out that face is the least horrifying of the lot.

Now I've never played a female gnome, but those faces look significantly better than the old ones if you ask me. Overreaction much?
    "Better" is not just a matter of adding polygons. The design has completely changed, and not for the better in my opinion. The old faces, aged though the graphics may be, offered a range of cute, serious, motherly etc. The only option the new ones give you is "I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL AS YOU SLEEP".
    Last edited by 7seti; 2014-04-07 at 01:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    no its not an overreaction, he's got good reason to be concerned. Though at least with that lineup, the one gnoem face at the top actually looks different, because of her eyebrows being more up. the rest look the same.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    You know what's funny? The top face in the list is the one they previewed at Blizzcon. The one about which everyone said "It's just one face, stop complaining, it must be a new face, obviously there will be others that match the old ones..."

Turns out that face is the least horrifying of the lot.
    Since when were gnomes not horrifying?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    It's the option that's supposedly gonna replace that face. According to Blizzard's current plans, I'm not even going to get a free re-customization, so I'll be stuck with that highly inadequate face on that character. And with highly inadequate faces on my 20 other characters. I'm sure you defend the no re-customization stance, too?
    Actually I fully believe everyone should get a free recustomisation.

Also, I'm not aware of any other new gnome face that comes even close to resemble the face of my priest. (Or the face of my mage, or monk, or warrior, or warlock.) Could you point out to me which of the new faces, in your opinion, has clear blue eyes, a small mouth, and looks innocent and young?
    Again, you're expecting a face which maps entirely onto your old face, which is unreasonable. The new face has all of those things actually, just not in the exact way that you want.

I'm sorry, but then you must have a psychiatric condition aching to "face blindness". Of course the old models look demonstrably worse in most other aspects, but anyone with two eyes in their head can see that they look a lot more varied than the new ones. The new ones do all have the same nose, the same eye shape and size, the same lip shape and size, and the same facial expression. The old ones did not. You can not deny this.
    Someone disagrees with you? Claim they have a disability! The Dwarf faces have different lips, different textures and different cheekbones.

And what use is that? I don't want one character who can look like everything, I want different characters that look distinctly different from each other. Maybe you play one or even several Pandaren female and enjoy how all Pandaren females in the entire game, the NPC pandaren, your own pandaren, everybody else's pandaren, all look the same. Sure, they all can make the same super awesome animated face when crying, or when fighting, but it's still all the damn same.
    Well most people would disagree. The ability to have a proper facial animation system is far more important to the game than hundreds of customisation options.

Yeah, caring about aesthetics is totally lame, no one does that. That's why we get new characters models. And new weapon models. And new armor models. And new mount and enemy and critter models, and new zones. And why we have transmogrification. ...

And it's not like roleplayers are the only ones who care about the specific look of their characters.
    Caring about customisation is fine. Quitting because the new faces don't fit the exact quota of "cute, innocent blue-eyedness" is ridiculous.

Deleted
    no its not an overreaction, he's got good reason to be concerned. Though at least with that lineup, the one gnoem face at the top actually looks different, because of her eyebrows being more up. the rest look the same.
    Understandable, but alpha is alpha. And it looks to me that those remaining faces may be place holder, there's a very minimal texture/normal map job done on the rest of them based on the second face. By all means we can provide feedback but we shouldn't be taking anything here as final or even ready to be shown until late beta, let alone flying off the handle on WIP content.

Look, obviously whether things look "good" or not is going to be subjective. That's not the point. Blizzard stated that the aim with new character models was that a free recustomisation would not be needed because people should log in on patch day and say "Yep, that's my character alright." With the female gnomes at least, they have failed at this aim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Understandable, but alpha is alpha. And it looks to me that those remaining faces may be place holder, there's a very minimal texture/normal map job done on the rest of them based on the second face. By all means we can provide feedback but we shouldn't be taking anything here as final or even ready to be shown until late beta, let alone flying off the handle on WIP content.
    as was said above, just because its alpha doesn't mean people should just be complacent in whats been decided on, they need to speak up and say if its shit.
    #boycottchina

better is subjective. what is not subjective is that they look completely fucking different then originals, not even close. they just went ahead and did a complete makeover. not to mention it's 100% total sameface - it's basically the same person just different age and slightly different facial expression.

'keep the soul of the originals' my fucking balls. i'm so pissed right now.
    Last edited by Joey Ray III; 2014-04-07 at 02:01 PM.

Deleted
    they all look like peppermint patty.

but yes, its the same issue I found with orcs, same face, only tiniest feature change.

At least dwarves get to cover there face with a beard for some customization.
    So, it's the same as the old models (same face with tiniest feature changes). Where's the issue?

Did you expect the faces to be fully customisable and unique? Are you insane?

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Again, you're expecting a face which maps entirely onto your old face, which is unreasonable. The new face has all of those things actually, just not in the exact way that you want.
    A blue eyed gnome continuing to have blue eyes isn't exactly an unreasonable request. They're being really careless with eye colors on these new models, and that's got to be the easiest feature to transfer from an old face to a new face, just eyedropper the eye color from old texture and tint the new one to match it. With the orcs, for instance, face #8 clearly goes from bright red eyes to bright blue eyes:

How do you mess that up? I really think I'd be fine with sameface if they'd just make sure that the eye colors were the same and the facial lines were in the same general positions.

as was said above, just because its alpha doesn't mean people should just be complacent in whats been decided on, they need to speak up and say if its shit.
    It is vital that we speak up about this, I agree, it's incredibly important. Just so long as we make intelligent criticisms and not just overreact and go ape shit.

I do think they might be placeholders though.

10+ Year Old Account
    All i'm seeing in the above picture, are the developers getting the updated orc face, given cards to try and mold the new face to look kind of like the old, like raise the brows slightly, lower the lip slightly, straighten the lip slightly, and just trying to pass that off as 'new'.
    It is the same face, and there attempts at trying to pass them off as looking like the old is pitiful.
    #boycottchina

I don't think it is fair to say this is what my character will look like especially without the correct face, hair and skin tone. I do understand the concerns, the new models are great but the changing of the skin on the model doesn't quite work the same way it used to.

In order to fix the problems you bring up the actual bone structure in the face would have to be remodeled and animated which would most likely take more time than they currently have. The old models look like they have different features but those features are just parts of the skin not a part of the model like the new facial features are. The art designers are clearly doing the best they can to keep the soul of the old model while increasing the fidelity.This can also prove to be pretty difficult due to the lack of detail the original models have. Hopefully they can address some of these issues but you can always go back to the old models if you have a problem with the new ones.

better is subjective. what is not subjective is that they look completely fucking different then originals, not even close. they just went ahead and did a complete makeover. not to mention it's 100% total sameface - it's basically the same person just different age and slightly different facial expression.

'keep the soul of the originals' my fucking balls. i'm so pissed right now.
    You put my feelings into words.

If you've never played one, your opinion of them is not very relevant. I have 5 female gnomes and was planning on another, so this is a topic that concerns me greatly.

Actually I fully believe everyone should get a free recustomisation.
    Something we agree on sadly, Blizzard doesn't.

I'm expecting it to resemble my old face pretty closely, so that I'll still recognize my character and feel like it's the same person. Is that really unreasonable in your opinion?
    And no, none of those things are in the new face. No blue eyes, no small mouth, no innocent expression, no mild eyebrows. There is almost nothing they have in common, except being a sort of pixie looking female (aka gnome).

Well most people would disagree. The ability to have a proper facial animation system is far more important to the game than hundreds of customisation options.
    To you, maybe. Not to anyone who wants to have a character that doesn't look like a clone. How often do you even use emotes? I'm a roleplayer, and even I don't use them that often. They're nice to have, sure, but having a character that doesn't look exactly like all your other characters of that race and all other player characters of that race AND all NPC models of that race ... infinitely more important.

Caring about customisation is fine. Quitting because the new faces don't fit the exact quota of "cute, innocent blue-eyedness" is ridiculous.

Look, I don't know what you play the game for. Maybe you wear a helmet on all your characters and just log in to raid or PVP and that's what you care about, that's fine.

Me, I'm a roleplayer. I take weeks to create a character and come up with a concept that I love and that is near and dear to my heart. Each one of my characters is near and dear to me. WoW is an RPG for me. My characters have a personality, a backstory, they're like friends to me. I log in the game to experience adventures with my characters, I collect nice looking gear for them, and nice looking mounts and pets that compliment their characters. And I roleplay, of course. The main reason I go into dungeons and raids is to get nice looking gear for my characters. When I do a quest, I always read the text and feel like it's my character out there adventuring, helping the townsfolk.

If my characters are destroyed, I have zero reason to keep playing this game.

Me, I'm a roleplayer.
    Sadly, Blizzard doesn't care about roleplayers beyond giving them a seperate server with RP -tag. So any RP -centric concerns about the model update will be going to deaf ears.