View Poll Results: Do you know Karate?

Voters
127. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I am a fucking black belt and can kick some ass?

28 22.05%
  • No. But I know how to box and defend myself.

36 28.35%
  • Yes, but I am not a black belt (Write what belt Color below)

34 26.77%
  • No, and I can't defend myself really well either wouldn't last long in a fight.

29 22.83%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    If i where to learn anything it would be Krav Maga or something where you learn to handle knife/gun situations as that's becomming more common now days with the kids. Or you can just pepperspray them then beat the crap out of them
    pepperspray is illegal in most countries, including Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Who cares lol, i rather take a small fine .There is also legal sprays here like the defence sprays for the ladies.

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. I think there's an 18+ age requirement, but otherwise you can buy it in pretty much any store here (I'm in Georgia, in the US). My sister keeps a small one on her keyring.

Love those poll results.

3 out of every 4 MMO-Champ posters will mess you up if you try to pick a fight with them!! Everyone knows you don't mess with MMO-C posters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a lot of boxing roughly 10 years ago. I was a very heavy hitter; in measurements, the power of my right punch reached half that of Mike Tyson in his prime! Apparently, time has passed, and I am nowhere near that level now - but I'm pretty sure that, should I encounter some burglars on the street, I will be able to shut them down very quickly and without much trouble.

Boxing is probably not the best sport for self-defense, since it doesn't involve attacks with legs, which can be crucial in real life - but it still makes fighting not very well trained people a piece of cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Huh, I wasn't aware of that. I think there's an 18+ age requirement, but otherwise you can buy it in pretty much any store here (I'm in Georgia, in the US). My sister keeps a small one on her keyring.
    In US it is, but Europe is completely different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i do, im 1st Kyu (which is the last brown belt before the 1st black belt) in Shotokan Karate.

I'd probably handle myself moderately in a fight. Karate, in spite of the mediatization around it, is designed to finish a fight quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Love those poll results.

3 out of every 4 MMO-Champ posters will mess you up if you try to pick a fight with them!! Everyone knows you don't mess with MMO-C posters.
    Especially with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol no. Karate is for manlets.

Brown Belt in Jiu-Jitsu and I do Muay Thai. Ill probably do well until the person vastly out weighs me.

Most "street fights" nowadays are simply you getting stabbed in the spine by a knife 10-20 times or suddenly getting smashed in the face with a bottle anyway.

Tension gets high for whatever reason, you go the fuck home asap.

Also I'd say 50-75% of western martial art classes are glorified health classes, but hey some can do a decent job of getting you ripped so who cares.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2016-01-23 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I took Tae Kwon Do up until I was 8. Looking back it was crap. The program I took seemed like a ripoff of legitimate martial arts. Just something to take your money and give you a false impression you could fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taekwondo - Green belt.

I remember just enough to help defend myself against those who are untrained.

I did it when I was younger as a form of rehabilitation and strengthening for my legs. Unfortunately, I couldn't proceed with lessons, my legs couldn't keep up, so using Taekwondo to its fullest is impossible for me. It was something I really enjoyed learning though.

Lots of people say that pretty much all traditional martial arts(Karate, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, etc.) aren't very useful in an actual fight and that only Muay Thai, Brazilian Jujitsu, and boxing are what works.
    They are pretty not correct then. Brazilian Jujitsu is great if you have one opponent, no broken beer bottles on the ground, and can manuever them into a position that will incapacitate them quickly. Muay Thai can be pretty impressive as long as they can get ahold of you for the multiple knees to the abdomen, and yeah. boxers are trained to take abuse whereas the average martial artist is trained to not be hit. The application of the particular martial art is not limited to the art as they all have their place. What limits an art is the particular practitioner.

You listed Tae kwon do. Of course for the most part it can be considered useless because it is the SPORT portion of the traditional martial art. Don't let the take away from that statement leave you believing that a Tae kwon do practitioner with their high kicks that were originally meant to take riders from horseback are not taught to keep it lower in a real fight.

Kung Fu, pound for pound is just so intricate that in long or multiple fights it has proven to be too tiring to all but the most skilled practitioners, so a more direct approach art may defeat it given time.

But no, there are not ONLY three viable arts, and the knowledgeable martial artist will cross train into all a bit, use what works for him, and discard the rest.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

15+ Year Old Account
    I"m not the "bring a knife to a gun fight" kind of guy so if I were to see someone with a weapon like a knife or gun, I wouldn't be jumping in trying to be superman unless I knew I would win. My resume is as follows:

-Shotokan Karate as a kid, 3 years
    -MIddle school and highschool wresting 6 years
    -After I graduated I joined the Army and completed 3 levels of their program which is 310 hours in all (8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 7-8 weeks)
    -8 years of Jiu-jitsu
    -Been boxing as a hobby for 20 years or so

Sadly I was hurt real bad back in 2008 so that left me with a half paralyzed leg, but I think I can still handle myself better than some. One thing I have learned is that there is a huge difference between knowing what to do in a fight and then actually doing it. The Army program taught me that because they put you in situations where you are really fighting in street fight and mob type scenarios. I learned there how important a tool aggression can be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Brown Belt in Jiu-Jitsu and I do Muay Thai. Ill probably do well until the person vastly out weighs me.

Most "street fights" nowadays are simply you getting stabbed in the spine by a knife 10-20 times or suddenly getting smashed in the face with a bottle anyway.

Tension gets high for whatever reason, you go the fuck home asap.

Also I'd say 50-75% of western martial art classes are glorified health classes, but hey some can do a decent job of getting you ripped so who cares.
    Completely agree with this. Most Martial Arts classes are just for fitness unless they are actually letting you do some really heavy, close to full contact sparring to help you use what you learn.
    Last edited by select20; 2016-01-23 at 06:53 PM.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That's pretty impressive have you ever been in any fights in the streets, or in a bar fight, what is your win loss ratio, and what would you say is the secret to winning a fight or common misconceptions about a fight?

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard wrestling is the best, because you are on the ground which is where most fights go.
    While working as a bouncer at a local gentleman's club I made the paper when I broke up a fight between 6 college students. The story was much better than the reality. They were drunk and I was well trained. My time in the ring was fairly average. Nothing to brag about. My time with the SCA however I won some titles.

Well, punches to the face are more for marking your territory. Yes you can slow someone down with a punch to the nose, tearing and swollen eyes, etc, however the face is actually a more difficult target to hit as the head is moving about in a fight and you can easily just damage your hands if you hit someone in the head wrong. Sure wressling is great if all you want to do is demoralize one person. In reality you would be surprised how many assholes have friends that will come up and give you a boot to the head while you are on the ground. Kicking someone in the nuts is one of my most favorite misconceptions. A large number of adult males will simply get pissed at you, their adrenaline will get pumping harder and you just gained nothing. Taking an opponent's air away always works, whether it is a choke or a hard enough blow to the torso. While they are fighting for air they are not fighting you.

The single biggest secret to winning a fight is to not get in one in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I don't know how it'd increase the chance of getting hurt compared to most things.. Unless you mean it specifically lacks training in fighting multiple people at once.

Which.. Fair enough, I think you'd lose against multiple opponents but I think that is true for everyone regardless of their discipline.
    Exactly that. My experience with Army combative is that you are taught to go to the ground, every fight, wressle around and leave yourself vulnerable if there is more than one opponent. On top of that the amount of training that soldiers get in combatives is never enough for it to be useful unless they choose to follow up for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I went with option 4, naturally. Fighting without use of weapons is a relic of the past - much like breastfeeding.
    I tend to agree with you. And I have been in those conversations where tough guy number one says "yeah, I would just shoot you". My answer is always "where is your gun RIGHT NOW". Rarely do they have it in their possession and on the few occasions they have it has always been safely holstered with them inside the range where they would never have a chance to draw and fire it without me disarming them should they reach for it. But still mouth battles happen. It is just human nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I don't know how it'd increase the chance of getting hurt compared to most things.. Unless you mean it specifically lacks training in fighting multiple people at once.

Which.. Fair enough, I think you'd lose against multiple opponents but I think that is true for everyone regardless of their discipline.
    Although I hold a black belt in jujutsu, I prefer to not go to the ground unless I am in a gym with a nice hardwood floor that has none of the typical debri you might find lieing about on the ground in real life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alphalion View Post
    Lol yeah I know what Karate is, it's a martial art often sold as the most bad ass fighting style but it is actually about dancing around with "Karate chops" & screaming (Kiai).

Karatekas like to think themselves as overpowered. When you ask them a fight to compare with actual fighting sports, they cower away saying that Karate is a mean of self defense, and when they get beaten the shit out of their ass they will say that they have been holding it because they fear their power might kill the assaulter.

I wonder how this dancing sport have gotten such bad ass reputation

And if you want to say that I know no shit about Karate, then I should tell you that I have been doing years of Karate before I got fed up (my father pressured me to practice when I was a kid), and my father and his friends are all black belt karatekas with at least third dan, and their master was a genuine japanese karate master who came from a japanese dojo.
    Oh and My father was also a black belt taek won do "fighter" (he got insta black belt thanks to his background as a karate master)

So yeah I've been around enough in the business to know all about the paradoxe of the karateka which is the fact they are humble and that they deep down believe karate is so bad ass.

My knowledge of Krav and skills learned from muay thai have proven way more useful when my friends (who were viet vo dao, pancrace and boxing disciples, the pancrace one is a national level fighter, which help) when we were outnumberly assaulted by the vermines we call "racailles" here in France (we did not kick ass but we were fine when help arrived at 6+6 girls who didn't fight and one caused the incident, vs 15 older and bigger arabs/blacks thugs) Thanks for nothing, Karate

Forget Karate and go for MMA disciplines if you want to be able to defend your ass like Muay Thai or Pancrace.

Can hardly advise Krav though, as the only way to practice the actual thing is to roll in GIGN or French Marine Commando or being part of the JDL (young Jewish defense League). From the latter, I've seen they are the kind of cowards who would always use weapons in a fight like knives, chairs, tables, glass bottles, ...
    krav is about as complicated as kung fu which is too complicated to learn in a reasonable amount of time. most of the techinques are multiple movement techniques that just take too much to learn when a simple strike to the zyphoid or wrist lock can be learned quickly and easily.

I don't need karate. I have a gun.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

If i where to learn anything it would be Krav Maga or something where you learn to handle knife/gun situations as that's becomming more common now days with the kids. Or you can just pepperspray them then beat the crap out of them
    Keep in mind that as you advance MOST martial arts teach weapon disarms and you would be surpised at how many of them are identical but touted as "our art".

- - - Updated - - -

Who cares lol, i rather take a small fine .There is also legal sprays here like the defence sprays for the ladies.
    and much like a kick to the groin, pepper spray is questionable in it's effectiveness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I took Tae Kwon Do up until I was 8. Looking back it was crap. The program I took seemed like a ripoff of legitimate martial arts. Just something to take your money and give you a false impression you could fight.
    The problem you most likely ran into is that you were being taught nothing but the sport portion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post

Exactly that. My experience with Army combative is that you are taught to go to the ground, every fight, wressle around and leave yourself vulnerable if there is more than one opponent. On top of that the amount of training that soldiers get in combatives is never enough for it to be useful unless they choose to follow up for themselves.

The purpose of lvl1 is just be able to survive long enough for help to get there. Level 2 gets more into the "real ground fighting" if you will and teaching level 1. Level 3 is where it gets crazy. Fighting eachother with batons, fighting against multiple opponents, etc. Lvl3 is crazy and a lot of people get hurt there. If you know someone who makes it through level 3 or have done it yourself, you can't be for sure that this person will be the best fighter in the world, but you can be sure that this level 3 fighter knows how to bring the fight and isn't scared of getting hurt.

Now, I'm not dilusional enough to say that if you've done the Army's program you are going a super awesome fighter. You just know more than enough to handle yourself and not get embarrassed even if you lose. Marines however take there 40 hour line training program and then tell people they are the best in the world.

**Also a bit of knowledge for anyone that cares, any Japanese martial art with -do on the end like Ju-do, Tae Kwon Do, etc means that it was a derived from a -Jitsu art and modified for competition use. Anything with -Jitsu on the end is still real world, serious type stuff where you can really hurt someone with what they teach you. Jiu-Jitsu, Nin-jitsu, etc Again this only applies to Japanese stuff martial art. AND that is not to say that any -Do practitioners can't be a bad ass. It's just that at its foundation the -Do arts were for competitions primarily, not for war.
    Last edited by select20; 2016-01-23 at 07:15 PM.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I don't need karate. I have a gun.
    lol. there he is. "that guy".

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    and much like a kick to the groin, pepper spray is questionable in it's effectiveness.
    Well concealed carry or weapons in general is not legal here unless you are a hunter or a cop, otherwise i would carry a firearm so you got to take whats there But yeah it could be innefective but i much rather have the spray then a knife or a spring baton.