Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Will $500+ graphics cards kill off PC gaming for good?

Those who can afford those $500+ graphics cards are a tiny market not enough to sustain the games made for those graphics cards.

Make PC games with simple graphics you say? People can play those on their phones.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

10+ Year Old Account
    1) You can play games on non-$500 cards just fine.
    2) The cards that ARE more expensive right now (I'm assuming you mean in regard to coin mining) will go down in price.

It's a little silly to say the sky is falling after a handful of months of higher prices
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Those who can afford those $500+ graphics cards are a tiny market not enough to sustain the games made for those graphics cards.

Make PC games with simple graphics you say? People can play those on their phones.
    People who are budget aware will likely use FHD screens and these can be driven just fine even with entry-level mid-range cards as long as you snipe off some more taxing settings. That's fine enough.

I mean my GTX 960 plays pretty much everything I want to play at 60 fps in 1080 resolution. Anything more expensive is just excessive and unnecessary.

Also, OEMs arent affected by the price hikes (they buy directly from the manufacturers at wholesale), and the VAST majority of people who game on their PCs didnt build their own. They bought them from Dell, Cyberpower, etc... and the pre-built prices arent spiking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, mid-range will do me, Ultra settings are overrated anyway. I don't need to see every single waving blade of grass and twig 20 miles away with full 16 pass anti-aliasing, crystal clear fake looking shadows and post rendered bloom, not when I'm gaming.

Its a much larger market than you think. Nvidia will NEVER have an issue selling high end cards, your thinking is FAR too narrow as all you are thinking about is gaming. These the more expensive cards are used in workstations(much cheaper alternative to quadro cards), Auto Cad machines, Video editing rigs ect. The need for them in the professional industry far exceeds the gaming side of things. Next you have to throw in mining, yea some currency's are crashing but mining will never go away. THEN you throw in the gamer's and that round the out the pie as a whole, I am sure there are many people in this forums like myself who have more than 1 1080/1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Its a much larger market than you think. Nvidia will NEVER have an issue selling high end cards, your thinking is FAR too narrow as all you are thinking about is gaming. These the more expensive cards are used in workstations(much cheaper alternative to quadro cards), Auto Cad machines, Video editing rigs ect. The need for them in the professional industry far exceeds the gaming side of things. Next you have to throw in mining, yea some currency's are crashing but mining will never go away. THEN you throw in the gamer's and that round the out the pie as a whole, I am sure there are many people in this forums like myself who have more than 1 1080/1080ti
    You're looking at his question the wrong way, he is asking if the impact of high price GPUs will be detrimental to game development.

@OP, sure it might make the games launching at this very moment tune down some settings in their medium and high presets, but for example there has been a trend of 4k textures in games for quite a while now, yet 4k gaming is non-existant currently. Hence, you would take from that, a good game dev always plan for the future, they re-use rendering techniques, game engines etc etc. It would be silly gimp your develoment from the start, just because currently we have high prices, as the power level of a GPUs rarely impact the core mechanics of any game.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2018-04-08 at 07:51 PM.

I feel like the real ramification due to high GPU prices is going to hit the bottom line for vendors attempting to sell high refresh rate/resolution monitors. The market will naturally take care of itself in a way that people simply become content with something less than 4k and they'll maybe make the move to a higher refresh rate instead or even just stick to the 1080p / 60fps standard. It just kills visual progression more than it stops PC gaming.

yo OP where you at? make thread and abandon it? troll thread, clickbait thread?

why do you need $500 graphics card if you aren't using components of similar price level? You need really fast CPU to feed GPU with enough data fast enough, then the CPU needs fast enough RAM to stay busy more efficient, but NONE of that matters if you haven't shelled out the cash for a high resolution and/or high refresh rate monitor. If you're playing 1080p on 60hz, you don't need a $500 GPU to do that. Anything higher than 60 fps on 60hz is wasted and is just a placebo effect because der her her higher number is better der her her.

Buy parts that match well with each other. Don't buy a celeron/ryzen 1200 and pair it with a gtx 1080/vega 64, that's just moronic. pair like parts with like parts. If you already have i7 8700k/ryzen 2700x or i9/threadripper, then why are you complaining about $500 GPUs when have already spent $1000 in supporting hardware?

anyways, the miner bubble is popping. used GPUs are starting to flood ebay right now and you can pick up a gtx 1060 3gb for under $200. retail prices are already on a downward trend across the board, retail GPUs are widely in stock now.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2018-04-08 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Your looking at his question the wrong way, he is asking if the impact of high price GPUs will be detrimental to game development.

@OP, sure it might make the games launching at this very moment tune down some settings in their medium and high presets, but for example there has been a trend of 4k textures in games for quite a while now, yet 4k gaming is non-existant currently. Hence, you would take from that, a good game dev always plan for the future, they re-use rendering techniques, game engines etc etc. It would be silly gimp your develoment from the start, just because currently we have high prices, as the power level of a GPUs rarely impact the core mechanics of any game.
    This!

What game developer is going to make games if the graphics cards costs $500 or more?

nVidia killed the PC as a gaming platform.

Deleted
    This!

What game developer is going to make games if the graphics cards costs $500 or more?

nVidia killed the PC as a gaming platform.
    But why would that stop game development?

People still have the lesser rigs and still want new games to play.

For Game Devs to stop there would need to be a reason why the current pool of PC gamers gets smaller, and them not having the latest hardware is not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I mean my GTX 960 plays pretty much everything I want to play at 60 fps in 1080 resolution. Anything more expensive is just excessive and unnecessary.
    My GT440 plays everything just fine at 640x480. Anything more expensive is just excessive and unnecessary and nerds trying to flex their e-peens!

My 7970 GHz edition still does just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    But why would that stop game development?

People still have the lesser rigs and still want new games to play.

For Game Devs to stop there would need to be a reason why the current pool of PC gamers gets smaller, and them not having the latest hardware is not it.
    Not many will pay the money for even a cheap computer to play games that looks like they are from ten, fifteen years ago because they could as well play those games on their phone.

Deleted
    Did $1000 IPhones kill off smartphones? People love to overpay of things, it makes them feel rich.

Deleted
    Not many will pay the money for even a cheap computer to play games that looks like they are from ten, fifteen years ago because they could as well play those games on their phone.
    That's an assumption on your part.

Both that cheap computers won't be able to produce graphics better than mobile devices, and that people wouldn't buy them if they want to game. This may be your personal opinion on whether you might buy a pc but I think the first step you need to take is to accept that your opinion isn't the same as everyone else's.

Another aspect you forget is playing a game on a phone is not the same as playing it on a PC or Console. My personal opinion is that it would not affect me. I have not played games that look good on a mobile device BECAUSE they are on a mobile device. I just don't see myself enjoying a game on a mobile device for long periods like I do on a PC.
    Last edited by mmoc150ef56254; 2018-04-08 at 05:15 PM.

Will it kill off PC gaming? Nope not even close.

But it has put a major hurt on it since even low end cards are costing much more. The prices are still going up slowly as well so until that changes ya its going to hurt building a new PC. It has even reached a point where pre-build is the best way to go for low/mid end PC gaming for now. Current prices may even make console gaming more appealing to some who before just gamed on PC.

With that said at some point prices will tank and there will be a flood of cheap graphics cards on the market.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Considering I can run a lot of games just fine on a 1050 ti the answer is..

No.

Hell my old build was a GTX 660 and that ran loads of games just fine as well. Only replaced it because the fan was failing and the GPU was getting hotter than the blazes of hell sometimes.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

I think the new PS5 will kill pc gaming if rumors are true. Rumors say it will come with a AMD Zen 8 core CPU and a GPU based on the AMD Navi tech and the the new Xbox should come with specs like that to and that could kill the pc gaming market. Not the GFX card prices we have now. They will go down again
    semiacccurate gets playstation 5 details/
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: