Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    In Croatia, 50.000 people were fired by now because of Corona. Hotels, rent-a-something, restaurants, marine workers... They're all out of business at the moment. If this doesn't change soon, a few dead people from the virus will be the least of our worries.

Unlike rich countries like France or Germany, the Balkan countries cannot continue to pay wages, and there will be little to no state support for small companies and privateers. They're fucked deep
    The capital just got shattered by an earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Scourge of Azuremyst View Post
    The capital just got shattered by an earthquake.
    Yea I know. Because just having the virus isn't enough for a country like Croatia. Next will come a locust plague and our fish will die. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

No politician will face anything. Not everyone is so willing to sacrifice health and lives in the name of whatever you find more important as you have advocated multiple times.
    Maybe not there.
    In PA there is a rumor that the part of the reason why enforcing the lockdown is delayed is because the governor wanted to shut down liquor stores, and a rep from his own party said that not only will that go unenforced, you won't finish your term either.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Spring break in Florida is going to be fun.
    Good thing we don't have a huge number of elderly (60+) in that state or anything, definitely not around 5 million or so, yep. Also is this a bad time to remind people that drinking alcohol dampens the immune system? Because it does, especially in excess, and no you can't make yourself immune to viruses by drinking enough like memes might suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    So, i should stay home forever huh?
    You must be the smartest one in your family.
    If you that scared then you must feel right at home.
    Or is it envy?
    Maybe you want everyone else to feel as you do.
    I have to wonder at all the elderly in stores now...breaking that social distance rule.

It's funny to see that the WHO now says that a lockdown doesn't work, but here on the forums some of the so called experts were ridiculing the Netherlands for not going into a total lockdown. People still need to take this more serious though, I'm amazed how many people still go on like nothing is happening.
    Last edited by noremorze; 2020-03-22 at 02:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorze View Post
    It's funny to see that the WHO now says that a lockdown doesn't work
    Fake news.

What was actually said is that it alone is not enough and should be supported by actual healthcare measures such as locating and isolating positive cases specifically to prevent resurgence of virus in the long run.

It's funny to see that the WHO now says that a lockdown doesn't work, but here on the forums some of the so called experts were ridiculing the Netherlands for not going into a total lockdown. People still need to take this more serious though, I'm amazed how many people still go on like nothing is happening.
    Source?
    It worked quite well in China...
    Why would it NOT work? Of course a contagious disease does not spread as fast when people don't come into contact with others...

10+ Year Old Account
    Lockdown is not a cure, but it does slow the spread, which is what is needed until healthcare system gets on top of the situation.

Our government (Germany) finally does something, it seems... wow, I am impressed o.o
    (tbf they woke up 1-2 weeks ago, still way too late)

Planned is a ban on every group of more than 2 people. Exceptions are families (parents with their kids) and people living in the same household.

7+ Year Old Account
    Got a link for that? Cause it reads like you are one of those "so called experts" passing along bad info.

I've seen articles stating a lock down isn't enough. I haven't seen anything saying a lock down doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Source?
    It worked quite well in China...
    Why would it NOT work? Of course a contagious disease does not spread as fast when people don't come into contact with others...
    Here's one I could find in English: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/worl...--who039s-ryan

Our experts have been saying the exact same thing, but were ridiculed here on the forums by some and by the right wing populists parties. What works is take your measures and keep testing as much as possible, and isolate the cases.

To the person above, that is not correct. Nowhere does it say that a full lockdown is needed, it says that lockdowns won't defeat the coronavirus, but public health measures are needed.

EDIT: seems I didn't do a good translation from Dutch into English either. Perhabs a better one would have been that a lockdown doesn't help, the focus should be on taking public health measures and do as much testing/isolating as possible.
    Last edited by noremorze; 2020-03-22 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Our government (Germany) finally does something, it seems... wow, I am impressed o.o
    (tbf they woke up 1-2 weeks ago, still way too late)

Planned is a ban on every group of more than 2 people. Exceptions are families (parents with their kids) and people living in the same household.
    Same as everywhere else, been that way for a week now here. I am guessing travel is also limited to just the absolute necessities?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's one I could find in English: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/worl...--who039s-ryan

Our experts have been saying the exact same thing, but were ridiculed here on the forums by some and by the right wing populists parties. What works is take your measures and keep testing as much as possible, and isolate the cases.

To the person above, that is not correct. Nowhere does it say that a full lockdown is needed, it says that lockdowns won't defeat the coronavirus, but public health measures are needed.
    I am guessing your english teacher was a right wing populist, as were the majority of them it seems. lol

10+ Year Old Account

Do you understand the meaning of words "not enough"?

I mean... can you even read? Here's from your link:

"The danger right now with the lockdowns ... if we don't put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up."

This by definition means that lockdowns ARE effective at restricting the spread, the issue is that ONLY lockdown without accompanying healthcare efforts is not enough. Something any person with a lick of common sense can figure out.

Somehow some people seem to make a logic leap from what is written there to "lockdowns don't do shit durrrr". How do you even do it?

7+ Year Old Account

EDIT: seems I didn't do a good translation from Dutch into English either. Perhabs a better one would have been that a lockdown doesn't help, the focus should be on taking public health measures and do as much testing/isolating as possible.
    Great, another guy pushing bad information. Just what we need.

@noremorze
    Please stop spreading misinformation if you don't understand your sources. He actually implies that the lockdown helps, but if no measures are taken, it will be the same AFTER the lockdown. Meaning during the lockdown the spread will be highly limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Great, another guy pushing bad information. Just what we need.
    It's classic fake news. Take something someone of some rank said, tear pieces of sentences out of context, misrepresent them and toss that garbage onto social media.

Suddenly it becomes "WHO said lockdowns are useless! Let's go paaaarrrttyyy on the beach!". Of course you will have a bunch of retards who pick that up, because it suits their narrative perfectly ("dem right wing populists wanna get u with their scary lockdowns")and there you go - people crowding public places because it's "just a corona flu and lockdown does not do anything anyway".

Why these people do this shit, I'll never know.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-03-22 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Same as everywhere else, been that way for a week now here. I am guessing travel is also limited to just the absolute necessities?
    Not sure about travel right now, but many measures are already taken, but more on a regional level so far. The snack bar I sometimes go to is not allowed to host people anymore, only to go, and only 1 person is allowed to be inside at a time.

800 people alone died in Italy yesterday and they've been in a tight quarantine for more than a week. Can you even imagine what would happen if a quarantine wasn't done?

The point of the quarantine isn't to eradicate the virus. It's to make sure that thousands upon thousands of people if not even millions of people flood the hospitals in need of intensive care.

I have no words to describe people like you, it's honestly embarrassing that you managed to dis-inform yourself by reading a valid piece of information.

Editing doesn't help. If you have any shame you should be deleting all the garbage posts.

SK probably agrees.