Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Look at China. Today's China is the "good" China after the "people's" revolution. Imagine what the USA would look like after ANTIFA got their way.
    I'm going to assume you think everyone out protesting is a member of ANTIFA, so why don't you tell us what you imagine? Because the US is looking fairly indistinguishable from China at the moment. Right down to covering up cases of the virus to project an air of undeserved competence.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Do you think we made a better country than the one we revolted against? If so, then why seek another revolution?
    I dunno...I'm not one to defend the actions of the British Empire in general....but they did somehow manage to abolish Slavery over 30 years before you got around to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I dunno...I'm not one to defend the actions of the British Empire in general....but they did somehow manage to abolish Slavery over 30 years before you got around to it...
    they also requested the colonies to stop expanding into native territory because it was causing too much war. Imagine what America would have been like if that actually happened...

But George Washington who made all his money through land prospecting (kick off or kill native Americans from their own lands and then settle white people in them who buy up plots) said King George couldn't enforce it and essentially since he can't enforce the law the law doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    A powerful image.

IN the reddit thread someone noted that black panthers back in the day often stood by and watched police as protests went on, or would get out of cars and stand by as police were roughing people up.
    Which BPP are these? (NBPP are a literal hate group if it's them).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The US has armed people to fight against regimes that have done less than what the US does to its own people.
    Hasn't that usually been because the USA wants them to do more to their people?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/09/04...ight-about-us/

He was right to kneel because when he did, he fully exposed us.

He exposed us as we became viscerally disgusted, not by the reckless disregard of black lives, but by the earnest and open declaration of black grief at their premature passing.

He exposed us when we felt it was our right to tell another human being how to express their personal freedoms, during an anthem supposedly devoted to celebrating those personal freedoms.

He exposed us when we treasured flags and songs over flesh and blood; when we repeatedly ignored dissenting facts in order to hold on to our easy and lazy outrage.

He exposed us when we chose to listen to the words of a divisive white President over athletes of color, as to their motives and intentions.

He exposed us as we had the stratospheric nerve to lecture him about the right way for him to protest as a citizen of this country.

He exposed us when we chastised him for the manner in which he expressed his freedom, because it was a little too “free” for us.

He exposed us as we saw all of these things, and still remained silent.

And he’s exposing us now, those of us who are burning shoes and cutting up socks and boycotting Nike—because a strong man of color who will not be shamed into silence or allow us to make the rules, still makes our blood boil—which is the most telling and tragic truth of all.

Privilege is a terrible disease, because it is invisible to those most fully afflicted with it. When most deeply in the throes of the heart sickness, they cannot see themselves, or the reality of the moment. They do not require data to be disgusted or truth to craft the narrative of their suffering.

They simply feel fear, even when it is unfounded; oppression, even when there is none; offensive, even when they have no cause.

If you’re seething right now, this is a symptom.

If you’re still doubling down on some imagined defense of “America” while simultaneously seeking to deny people of color America’s most elemental liberties—you’re proving Colin Kaepernick right.

If you’re still refusing to believe the player’s voices over the one in your head or in a President’s tweets or in an angry country singer’s rants—you’re showing why Kaepernick was correct to protest from the very beginning.

You’re confirming the very reason his knee first hit the turf two-year ago: because too many white people want to go through life undisturbed by any reality of their advantages.

They will do anything not to be inconvenienced by the ugly realities of a system that they are the greatest beneficiaries of.

They will be profoundly pissed off when a person of color intrudes on their entertainment with a dose of sobering truth about life and death.

They will follow the most convoluted, nonsensical thought lines, if this allows them to quiet marginalized people and to evade culpability for their own prejudices toward those marginalized people.

It isn’t surprising that the folks so violently shaken by Colin Kaepernick, profess to defend a freedom they don’t like him exercising.

They’re the same ones saying that they love both America—and a draft-dodging, Russian-beholden, POW-belittling President.

They’re the same people who say they want to rewind and reclaim America’s “greatness”, while ignoring how much suffering and injustice that supposed greatness created for so many.

They’re the same people who claim allegiance to both Jesus and to Donald Trump.

Cognitive dissonance doesn’t register when you’re white and terrified of losing your dominance.

By kneeling, Colin Kaepernick let us do the work for him.

He didn’t need to belabor the point, he just let us show ourselves.

He allowed white America’s responses to reveal who we are.

He saw something ugly in us that we didn’t and still don’t want to see.

And he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Hasn't that usually been because the USA wants them to do more to their people?
    They just want to take their oil spread the joyous gift of democracy!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen some people express that they were wrong. Maybe people a few months, a few years, a few decades ago were actually speaking the truth - but will it be enough this time?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Oh look, a racist piece of shit assaulting children for putting up posters about George Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Well, at least that's a decent bit of justice before I go to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2020-06-06 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    First one is apparently a fake. There are plenty of real and awful incidents to pull from without falling for the bait ones as well.
    I'll remove the first, thanks. It does in fact look to be fake.
    Last edited by Yuujin; 2020-06-06 at 07:30 AM.

So how do we all feel about the actual numbers: blacks killing blacks. Caus that’s more often the case yet The BLM movement only seems to care when a white man does it.

Shouldnt blacks killing blacks deserve a black lives matter too? Especially when that makes up 9 out of 10 killings? (Data: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-3.xls)
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-06-06 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    So how do we all feel about the actual numbers: blacks killing blacks. Caus that’s more often the case yet The BLM movement only seems to care when a white man does it.

Shouldnt blacks killing blacks deserve a black lives matter too? Especially when that makes up 9 out of 10 killings?
    Y'all are still really salty that the Shadowlands reveal event got postponed, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Y'all are still really salty that the Shadowlands reveal event got postponed, huh?
    I dont play. How about you try to answer the question rather than being snarky.

10+ Year Old Account

Shouldnt blacks killing blacks deserve a black lives matter too? Especially when that makes up 9 out of 10 killings? (Data: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-3.xls)
    I have no special feelings about it, because your point it is irrelevant. This is not about who kills how many of which ethnicity, but that a group (lets call them cops) use their authority given by the government to target minorities.

See, no need to attack THAT strawman. It doesn't matter. Even if only 0,01% of deaths were caused by police UNUSTIFIED, then it is still a problem, and you poor attempt to deflect still does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I have no special feelings about it, because your point it is irrelevant. This is not about who kills how many of which ethnicity, but that a group (lets call them cops) use their authority given by the government to target minorities.

See, no need to attack THAT strawman. It doesn't matter. Even if only 0,01% of deaths were caused by police UNUSTIFIED, then it is still a problem, and you poor attempt to deflect still does not matter.
    No1 is carrying signs “police stop targeting minorities more”. (Even if thats the case you could have a discussion about crimestatistics and racial profiling but hey) They are carrying signs “black lives matter” so it kinda is. If black lives matter that much (which they do, all life does) then shouldnt the protests start in their own communities?

10+ Year Old Account
    No1 is carrying signs “stop targeting minorities”. They are carrying signs “black lives matter” so it kinda is. If black lives matter that much (which they do, all life does) then shouldnt the protests start in their own communities?
    I don't know, just because you pull the words BLM completely out of context doesn't mean everyone else wrong... maybe its you?

10+ Year Old Account

Multiple problems can exist simultaneously. The egregious issue with the police is that they are supposed to have a responsibility to their communities, to serve and protect. There's also the fun problem where the breakdown between the police and African American communities is a major contributor towards crime. If you can't trust law enforcement, you're not going to call out for help.

Incidents where the police come in and rough up everyone, even the people who called out for help, do exist, and they're the things that really stick in people's minds.

Unless your issue is with the nomenclature. Black lives matter has been around for more than enough time for the purpose of it to get across. Trying to argue that you think it means something different is just pedantic.