Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question What is(are) your Expansion Release Ritual(s)?

When each expansion launches, what is your release day ritual?

Are you like some people who take the day off from school/work/daily life obligations and hit the ground running? I can imagine -- if your computer can handle it -- in the rush with thousands of other players grinding out the new content at the same time.

Do you wait a couple of days after launch so that you may not run into any technical (log-in, server disconnections, mass DDoS attacks, etc) issues?

What are some launch event rituals you will partake in and why?

7+ Year Old Account
    In EU they release expansions at midnight so I hang out little bit for maybe 30 minutes then I go to bed and wake up at 5am. Its ideal time to start because casuals already went to bed and rest of the players is ahead of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely no different than any other day.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I haven't played WoW seriously in a few xpacs now, but I still push hard at release for whatever reason. In the past I've went for a long run, took a shower and sat down with Green Tea, Almonds, and Jerky to get me through to cap.

I usually watch TV or movies, I tend to skip launch day for the last few expansions.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the past I’ve always taken time off to play as much as possible. I level slowly and enjoy doing so, so that extra time helps me be that much further ahead.

I have more work responsibilities now than in the past, and a 2 year old, so that extra time will be even more precious, if I can find it.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Absolutely no different than any other day.
    Or in other words: Log in, Play.

I take a week or two off work, get some snacks and drinks and storm the breach. That said, last 2 expansions were pretty tame, no need to restart and zones mostly handled the load. I almost miss the earlier days of trying to get past the login server. Almost.

I usually play non stop 'till I hit the cap, maybe even look around for stuff that slips past the devs, like the mythic dungeon lockout in EU, on account the launch being on Tuesday, and reset being on Wednesday. I generally go to sleep around 5-7 pm on launch day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take a week off, then try to get a head of the pack, and by being MORE sweaty then the majority logs off (around 04-05am) after few hours i keep going till i hit cap, then pass out in bed. Will try and aim for a lvling group of 2-5, if were 5 we will attempt to farm 5mans for exp, if not 5ppl makes it easy to tag mobs.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

For wow expansion releases, or in general game releases that I'm excited about and I buy on release (which is rare), I usually do a nightly marathon. This is not for competitive reason, but just to celebrate the release I guess. My job is pretty flexible so I can usually do that without taking any time off or whatever.

Not sure yet if I'll be doing one for SL cause I have kids now and it might be too disruptive to our life, but I'll certainly try if I can.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Multiple sacrifices to appease the server lords to allow me more than 1min into the game.

I don’t have any, I play like normal for the most part. If I really wanted to play I would take a day off a couples days after launch to let them iron out all the bugs. I think the only expansion I went crazy on for launch was cata and hit max level within the first day.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually sit on Discord with friends waiting for the servers to work, then try levelling a bit before sleeping. I make sure to have a 2 liter bottle of water with me, for energy :P (instead of horrid energy drinks).

I tend to avoid the 'rush' and overcrowding... so typically come release days I'd be doing some side activity instead, like Archaeology or Fishing. Hell, back in Cata I leveled up from 70 to 80 via it...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-07-30 at 12:50 AM.

I want to say every expansion except for Legion I've had work trips or a major life event occur during release. Even now, I'm in the middle of a move waiting to close on a new house and I'm not sure if I'll be ready if the expansion happens before September. After that though, coupled with reduced time at work, I'll probably be able to binge the game with mio energy.

Just play normaly,and i dont mind missing out on a day/few hours if it launches wile i happen to be sleeping or am busy

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post

Are you like some people who take the day off from school/work/daily life obligations and hit the ground running? I can imagine -- if your computer can handle it -- in the rush with thousands of other players grinding out the new content at the same time.
    Luckily I'm a caregiver so I don't have to deal with taking a day off for launch day.

I'm there right when the new expansion goes live with a lot of soda and snacks to power through to max level.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

When I don't know the release date, none. I get 19 PTO's an year. Sure as hell not going to plan them around a game without a release date. I'm currently on my annual 2 week summer vacation, so I have 2 PTO's left for the rest of the year. Not going to use them for Shadowlands, so I'll just be playing on weekends/days off/holidays when I have the chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to take a few days off for expansion release and marathon. Then I got married and only played on my regular schedule, but hit it hard. Then I started grad school and my wife had our first child, so I most likely will not be experiencing the expansion day one, which is a bit of a bummer, because it looks interesting and I want to play.

Nothing special. I just go back home and log in.