Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    New York hasn't played musical chairs with its teams, though. It takes time to build up a loyal local fan base, and the LA area hasn't had a lot of stability between the Chargers, Rams, and Raiders. They spent 20 years without a team, and that's tough to bounce back from.
    Yeah and two other area teams - the Raiders and San Francisco - have built up much more powerful brands. And yes, I know that San Francisco isn't exactly next door, but those super bowls with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice certainly made a lot of fans in the 80s and 90s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Yeah and two other area teams - the Raiders and San Francisco - have built up much more powerful brands. And yes, I know that San Francisco isn't exactly next door, but those super bowls with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice certainly made a lot of fans in the 80s and 90s.
    Yes, it doesn't help matters for the Rams that their only championship in most fans' living memory was when they were in St. Louis. The Raiders won during the decade plus that they were in LA, but then they left again.

And the Chargers... well.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like some of this is the inevitable end result of TV broadcasts. Why would you ever go watch more than one live game in your life anyway when you can watch at home and not have to pay? So road fans take over stadiums because for some of the weirder matchups out there you might only get a chance every 3-4 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it doesn't help matters for the Rams that their only championship in most fans' living memory was when they were in St. Louis. The Raiders won during the decade plus that they were in LA, but then they left again.

And the Chargers... well.
    Chargers aren't an LA team. They're a <city to be named later> team that's bumming in LA for a decade.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Oh that implies it’s not just la fans cheering cluelessly but actually opposing fans. It makes sense as a vacation package too, see your team live and do touristy la shit.
    Bills fans always kind of pick one game to travel to and basically "take over" the stadium. I don't think we ever get to 65% of the stadium, but we had like 30k fans at the Tennessee game this past year, for example.

The COVID year it was gonna be Las Vegas in their new stadium. Sad that that one didn't happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Bills fans always kind of pick one game to travel to and basically "take over" the stadium. I don't think we ever get to 65% of the stadium, but we had like 30k fans at the Tennessee game this past year, for example.

The COVID year it was gonna be Las Vegas in their new stadium. Sad that that one didn't happen.
    Chargers games were always a popular visit, because however shitty San Diego is, the weather is nice.

I went there as a visiting fan.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...71025697873926

"Broncos are hiring Packers’ OC Nathaniel Hackett as their HC, as @TomPelissero reported."

I hate to say it cause everyone is jumping to that conclusion, but, if Aaron Rodgers is on the move, you HAVE to think that Denver is destination no. 1 right now for him.

Not really sure what to think of Hackett because his passing offenses as a play caller were bad, but his best QB by a mile was Kyle Orton.

At least it wasn't Dan Quinn, who the Denver media seemed convinced was going to be who they picked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Not really sure what to think of Hackett because his passing offenses as a play caller were bad, but his best QB by a mile was Kyle Orton.

At least it wasn't Dan Quinn, who the Denver media seemed convinced was going to be who they picked.
    Speakingof Quinn, with Denver off the table he's told teams he's staying in Dallas. I'd expect dominos to start falling fast now Miami and the Giants both apparently have the same final two as well, Flores and Daboll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im happy Quinn is staying. He ntook our defense from putrid to great. Could also be an interim HC if MM gets fired and Jerry goes after Peyton lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Im happy Quinn is staying. He ntook our defense from putrid to great. Could also be an interim HC if MM gets fired and Jerry goes after Peyton lol.
    I'm surprised he didn't stay in for the Vikings job at least. Figure he'd be a good fit for what they have so far.

Maybe he was gonna bring GB's QB coach along as his OC. The assumption certainly is that he'll follow Hackett to Denver now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't stay in for the Vikings job at least. Figure he'd be a good fit for what they have so far.

Maybe he was gonna bring GB's QB coach along as his OC. The assumption certainly is that he'll follow Hackett to Denver now.
    From what i understand, he was really only interested in Denver and Chicago. Once those filled, may as well stay with the hot defense you helped build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Chicago they're now filled by Matt Eberflus.

And in Jacksonville it's a staring contest between Byron Leftwich and Trent Baalke apparently. The Jags want Leftwich, but he wants Baalke fired.

I hope Leftwich gets Baalke fired. I wouldn't want to work with Baalke either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I hope Leftwich gets Baalke fired. I wouldn't want to work with Baalke either.
    He did! It's Leftwich as HC and Adrian Wilson from the Cardinals as a GM.

Interesting combo in Jacksonville. Hope it works for them, cause boy do they need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Saints requested an interview with Leftwich, Jags might be accelerating things now that he's in demand. Saints interest in Leftwich could signal the intention to keep Winston and reunite them after they worked together in Tampa.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The Saints requested an interview with Leftwich, Jags might be accelerating things now that he's in demand. Saints interest in Leftwich could signal the intention to keep Winston and reunite them after they worked together in Tampa.
    I don’t think anything he did in Tampa should be a basis for reuniting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBF with a lot of these "obviously not the guy" guys you have to imagine it's a one year prove-it situation. This year's QB crop is a mess, next year's apparently figures to be more average. Saints probably would rather go into next year with Winston than Hill and then address the position then if Winston's still a bust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    He did! It's Leftwich as HC and Adrian Wilson from the Cardinals as a GM.

Interesting combo in Jacksonville. Hope it works for them, cause boy do they need it.
    Not hearing that from anywhere but one person yet.

Apparently the Jags are still looking into Vic Fangio, who would keep Baalke...

- - - Updated - - -

Dang the Steeelers' GM is stepping down (given the team I have to imagine this is a real retirement) after the Draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rapsheet's saying it's Daboll to the Giants.

Didn't expect that, wonder if he's got a guarantee his job status isn't tied to Jones past this year.

Miami and Houston look to be rightfully being left holding the bag this hiring cycle.

Ringer just posted a long article on the Bengals. My theory when I see something like this: they think the Bengals are gonna lose so makes sense to write a big article this week then leave the Chiefs talk for the Super Bowl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Ringer just posted a long article on the Bengals. My theory when I see something like this: they think the Bengals are gonna lose so makes sense to write a big article this week then leave the Chiefs talk for the Super Bowl.
    The Chiefs are 7- to 7.5-point favorites over Cincy, and underdog stories are generally more compelling. I don't think this is some big surprise or some long, drawn-out design.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils