Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    One of the best things about living in the SF bay area? The sheer number of job opportunities which for me translates into having a ridiculous amount of freedom.

Move to the middle of nowhere where I end up being dependent on the company I'm working for? Fuck that.
    This is a good point, but it is fairly easy to relocate from one state to another. Plus, you get to experience different parts of the country, which is nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Jokes on them Tejas is a literal shit hole with less personal freedoms, the only ones making bank are the CEOS moving there.
    eh, there's plenty of white collar people too that make plenty. Rural Texas is a shit hole, but the cities are good places to live and its the cities that are exploding in population.

Elon can get fucked though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This is a good point, but it is fairly easy to relocate from one state to another. Plus, you get to experience different parts of the country, which is nice.
    Your definition of easy and mine definitely differ.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Tejas is becoming blue. With all the people and companies fleeing the $-hole areas of CA and lots landing in Texas it's bound to happen. Texas will be the next "Silicon Valley".
    Not remotely close. Texas 2.5b venture capital start up funding in 2020 was barely even with Washington 2.49b, well behind Massachusetts 9.9b and New York 10.8b, and far behind CA 69b.

Here in an article that talks about how Texas Keeps Attracting Tech Firms, Increased Venture Funding. Then in the very last paragraph.

Despite the gains made by Texas, the nation’s top venture funding magnets still far outshine the state. Startups in California, New York and Massachusetts took in 74 percent of U.S. venture funding in 2020, according to a report from PricewaterhouseCoopers and CB Insights. In contrast, the report said, Texas and several other states accounted for 15 percent of venture funding.

Ever heard of Walmart Labs? It is the research arms of Walmart. A company famous for cutting cost. Guess where their headquarter and facilities are located? Not in ole affordable Texas.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-04-01 at 06:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Tejas is becoming blue. With all the people and companies fleeing the $-hole areas of CA and lots landing in Texas it's bound to happen. Texas will be the next "Silicon Valley".
    While I would certainly like to believe that time and demographics changing are pushing Texas to be more liberal (something that the embastioned Republicans there will fight tooth and nail) I’ve my doubts that any serious progress will be made in any sort of Silicon Valley-esque development, at least ahead of where tech centers already exist.

Simple fact of the matter is that California, in particular, has the infrastructure already in place to support it, especially including the universities that produce the top engineers and other IT fields that go to these start ups and tech firms. And if you can hop right from college to a new job right up the street with a company your school might have a fairly close working relationship with, most people are going to take that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    While I would certainly like to believe that time and demographics changing are pushing Texas to be more liberal (something that the embastioned Republicans there will fight tooth and nail) I’ve my doubts that any serious progress will be made in any sort of Silicon Valley-esque development, at least ahead of where tech centers already exist.
    I see Texas turning blue in 2020, as one of the successful attempts of Trump trolls to disrupt polling. How much time did Biden and Harris spend on Texas, because polling looked like it would be close? What ended up happening? Both Texas and Florida were scams driven by the “silent majority”, those who lied or hung up on pollsters. If polling actually reflected their popular votes, I don’t see Biden’s team spending as much time there, as they did. Their campaign wouldn’t have been there to have MAGAts driving their buss off the road.

I was offered 5k to move to Atlanta in 2001 as tech support, I literally laughed. Right now, I’d need about 20k before I even consider moving to Texas. It’s too hot... I don’t even make it to caring about their politics... The weather is simply not what I am used to nor what I like.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    If you think its easy, you really must be out of touch with reality, or you think everybody is as well-off as you are.

7+ Year Old Account
    For reference on Texas, here's what we currently are dealing with. GOP wants to hijack federal education funds to pay for all their corporate tax breaks.

https://sanantonioreport.org/stimulu...ublic-schools/

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    For reference on Texas, here's what we currently are dealing with. GOP wants to hijack federal education funds to pay for all their corporate tax breaks.

The GOP's assault on education has been a decades long event. They continue to cut education to fund the rich, in a variety of schemes. The average GOP voter is uneducated. These legislative moves are done to create more voters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’ve been moving my entire life, it’s never been easy... and it’s costly.
    I was referring to the difference between moving inter-state and from another country. I should have been clearer, however, because even inter/intra-state is NEVER "easy".

What I should have said is that it's doable, and there aren't a lot of rules and regulations that are in place outright preventing a person from doing it. Whereas, moving to another country, even one that borders you, is nigh impossible without months of paperwork.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    If you think its easy, you really must be out of touch with reality, or you think everybody is as well-off as you are.
    See above.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk I think moving between my states is pretty easy.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

I moved a few miles...sure as hell wasn't a casual move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post

And then they wonder why they aren’t incentivizing well educated people or producing students capable of fielding the tech jobs they want their states to attract.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

How south does he want to move? Does he have another coup he is interested in? Some lithium?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    How south does he want to move? Does he have another coup he is interested in? Some lithium?
    He needs California for his Lithium. Imperial Valley has the largest Lithium deposit in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    He needs California for his Lithium. Imperial Valley has the largest Lithium deposit in the world.
    it's a joke reference back to the bolivia thing

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    it's a joke reference back to the bolivia thing
    I forgot about that. I guess he could arrange for a California coup. Have Arizona annex Imperial Valley.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's called cash incentives you rich megalomaiac.

You want someone to "desperately" move to Texas? Pay for their move.

Don't just expect them to go out of the goodness of their heart with dreams of working for you one day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I forgot about that. I guess he could arrange for a California coup. Have Arizona annex Imperial Valley.
    I doubt most Californians would even notice it's not part of the state anymore.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post

Don't just expect them to go out of the goodness of their heart with dreams of working for you one day.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt most Californians would even notice it's not part of the state anymore.
    To be fair it is a pretty awful place. We did several penitentiary projects there.

I had to do foundation inspection for a reservoir once during high wind condition. The first thing that I noticed when I stepped out of the car was the awful smell of rotten fish. The construction foreman did not even seem to notice it. I think it was from the Salton Sea.

For an entire week after that inspection, I had speck of bloods whenever I had to blow my nose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Elon Musk is a fucking scumbag. I'll be honest for a lot of years he had me fooled that he might be a decent human being.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Because Elon Musk is a fucking scumbag. I'll be honest for a lot of years he had me fooled that he might be a decent human being.
    He certainly doesn't seem to be a winner in the personality arena. Professionally, of course, he's a genius. Not sure when you measure it all out it rates a "fucking scumbag" rating, but it's also not "nobel peace prize" either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post

Agreed. I hope SpaceX is throwing $5k-$10k relocation packages at people who decide to take a job and move down to TX. I love SpaceX, and there job openings I would qualify quite well for, and I wouldn't move to TX for a job at SpaceX.

(yet)