Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Gotta say, this reminds me of when Terrence Howard created his "new math" lol

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-10502365.html
    What the actual F...

I wonder what the world would be like if, like... people were never this stupid.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BronzeCondor View Post
    SharpieGate is just plain weird, but whatever.
    SharpieGate is actually a perfect example of how a dictator-wannabe can take a pretty simple situation in which the dictator made a mistake, but because he's a dangerous combination of narcissist and insecure dipshit, he insists all the scientists change their statement rather than him correct his own.

People like you don't understand the bigger picture issues because you don't want to. You're mired in adulation for a man who wouldn't cross the street to piss on your heart if it were on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What the actual F...

I wonder what the world would be like if, like... people were never this stupid.
    This isn’t “stupid” though. Dumb people aren’t capable of doing stuff like this. His intelligence isn’t capable of defeating his beliefs. It’s more like he’s using his intelligence to harden his beliefs.

I read Howard’s work. The Mesopotamian Conspiracy bit was, um, interesting.

You would think that somebody like Chris Langan (IQ 195) wouldn’t be a 911 Truther or believe in White Genocide. But he does.

IQ and common sense aren't related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    IQ and common sense aren't related.
    I mean, they are, but they're not the same thing.

The more important thing is that people can be smart in some ways and utterly stupid in others.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I mean, they are, but they're not the same thing.

The more important thing is that people can be smart in some ways and utterly stupid in others.
    Like people with a 4.0 GPA being unable to balance a checkbook.

Are checkbooks still a thing over there? It's been a couple decades since I've had to deal with checks. I probably should have looked it up first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Are checkbooks still a thing over there?
    I think online banking apps do that.

There's not much information available we haven't known for a week. The AZ Senate is now pretending this was never about overturning the election, but are openly admitting they want to use the results to pass voter suppression laws. Which, in turn, means they must find a way not to see the results. Cyber Ninjas will probably claim it was hacked by the same people who hacked Lindell, because if they openly admit they found nothing, the AZ Senate has nothing to work with. And hey, not like Cyber Ninjas won't get paid, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Like people with a 4.0 GPA being unable to balance a checkbook.
    The concept of an idiot savant is an old one, even though that covers the other end of the spectrum (low IQ with extremely specialized intuition). Most people with significantly heightened intelligence have other compensating deficiencies. Most people with only moderately heightened intelligence, however, don't necessarily have a compensating deficiency that is bad enough to be noticeable.

But "common sense" is somewhat of a catch-all term, to begin with. But there are other avenues of mental acuity that can suffer rather than common sense. An awful lot of high IQ people suffer from a lack of emotion IQ and social anxiety instead.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

But "common sense" is somewhat of a catch-all term, to begin with. But there are other avenues of mental acuity that can suffer rather than common sense. An awful lot of high IQ people suffer from a lack of emotion IQ and social anxiety instead.
    “Common sense” is a meaningless term. It’s just a way of stating an opinion.

I brought up Langan specifically because he had a really shitty upbringing. It’s been argued that the abuse and poverty he suffered shaped some of his beliefs and despite his brilliance he can’t seem to get past that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Common sense is directly related to wisdom. Something I'm guessing is also meaningless to you. High IQs rarely ever measure up to what anyone would refer to as genius. Indeed, they tend to reflect Wile E. Coyote "super genius" than anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that it's meaningless, it's just that its meaning defies convenient explanation, which just leads to it being used incorrectly most of the time. Also, common sense is hardly infallible.

So, yeah, people use it falsely to justify their opinion. "Verity in numbers", I guess? Sounds interesting, but it's not really a valid axiom.

I brought up Langan specifically because he had a really shitty upbringing. It’s been argued that the abuse and poverty he suffered shaped some of his beliefs and despite his brilliance he can’t seem to get past that.
    Sure. One of the hallmarks of a mind that is rated as "high IQ" is the enhanced ability to locate and identify patterns in perceived data. That is, after all, why it's the basis for pretty much every single IQ test question ever developed. In a lot of ways, patterns and routines become soothing, because they're the outcome of the brain's desire to make sense of the world. Sometimes, unfortunately, your brain can mistakenly recognize a pattern that might seem legitimate (especially when you're young), but isn't, and the more rigidly your brain is structured, the more it can tend to reinforce the "bad" pattern, before you get the opportunity to correct it.

Also, people who are "right" a lot can often have an underdeveloped ability to second-guess their prior reasoning. That's a skill, like any other, which requires practice to hone.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealChris...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Trump won by a landslide in most if not all contested states. He should never have walked away. He may never get back in. Audits are being resisted tooth and nail because the election was a criminal fraud, and the criminals are in charge.

They cheated before, and will cheat again. Even if audits can be successfully completed, it will take years, or the results will simply be ignored by both sides of the political establishment.

-------

I should wonder at the difference between a high IQ and the measure of true genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/RealChris...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Trump won by a landslide in most if not all contested states. He should never have walked away. He may never get back in. Audits are being resisted tooth and nail because the election was a criminal fraud, and the criminals are in charge.

They cheated before, and will cheat again. Even if audits can be successfully completed, it will take years, or the results will simply be ignored by both sides of the political establishment.

-------

I should wonder at the difference between a high IQ and the measure of true genius.
    Never go full QAnon, kids.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

What the actual F...

That's the thing. Natural selection doesn't account for stupidity so it evolves to new levels
    There's a broken bell curve meme somewhere in there lel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    That's the thing. Natural selection doesn't account for stupidity so it evolves to new levels
    There's a broken bell curve meme somewhere in there lel
    That is more an issue of human intelligence and society being of a sufficient level to interfere with natural selection, rather than a failure of natural selection accounting for stupidity. Though some people manage to defy that anyways (ex. people who die trying to take selfies in dangerous conditions/locations).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/polit...ado/index.html

Not Maricopa specifically, but it's very much similar. Those voting machine login details that were leaked from Colorado after a "non-employee" attended a meeting? The FBI is now investigating. Hopefully there will be some serious consequences for this kind of continued behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The most vocal people who keep going on about this are making money off this, while it requires a lot of dumb shits to follow them, I doubt they themselves are that dumb, just an easy audience to exploit for cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of money:

Maricopa county just voted to serve the state of Arizona notice, threatening a lawsuit if the state doesn't pay the county the $2.8 million for damaged, compromised machines.

"Surely the vote went on party lines."

No, it was unanimous. There's only one Democrat on the board anyhow.

The issue, above and beyond the whole "this is a fraudulent and stupid waste of money" of course, is that the AZ Senate spelled out they would pay for everything. However, the AZ Senate later went on record saying there was no need to replace the damaged, compromised machines.

This is yet another publicity stunt by Maricopa County. This shows they prefer to shower taxpayer dollars on Dominion and lawyers, rather than having an honest conversation about the audit. Machines were not damaged or tampered with and they know it.
    -- probably dishonest AZ Senator

"Why probably dishonest?"

Because I'm modestly sure Maricopa isn't paying Dominion. They've resisted the entire recount. I was under the impression that the AZ Senate paid some taxpayer dollars, and unknown, intentionally hidden sources paid the rest. Can anyone find out how I'm wrong? At what point did Maricopa agree to not only pay Cyber Ninjas, but what part of the $2.8 million Cyber Ninjas got?

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-e...39cf9857879518

Court orders AZ Senate Republicans to release records related to the audit. Republicans claimed that because Cyber Ninjas is a private company that they are not bound by public records requests.

The courts disagreed, pointing out that they were performing a core government function, and consequently are subject to public records requests.

Allowing the legislature to disregard the clear mandate of the (public records law) would undermine the integrity of the legislative process and discourage transparency, which contradicts the purpose of both the immunity doctrine and the (law)...The requested records are no less public records simply because they are in the possession of a third party, Cyber Ninjas.
    That's from the judge on the case.

The Senate has until Aug. 31 to release the records.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The Senate has until Aug. 31 to release the records.
    Quick, pass some voter suppression laws!