If there's anything this crisis has opened me up to, it's for how much the US spends on military advancement and refinement, and is the only country on Earth to have successfully nuked someone, we still haven't created the technology or defense system to invalidate nuclear bombs all these years later.

So some maniac armed with nukes can threaten to blow up D.C. We don't have anything to shoot down or short circuit those nukes out of orbit if they launch, let alone nullify their damage.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    If there's anything this crisis has opened me up to, it's for how much the US spends on military advancement and refinement, and is the only country on Earth to have successfully nuked someone, we still haven't created the technology or defense system to invalidate nuclear bombs all these years later.

So some maniac armed with nukes can threaten to blow up D.C. We don't have anything to shoot down or short circuit those nukes out of orbit if they launch, let alone nullify their damage.
    Seek help.
    This is your 49th post in this thread mentioning nukes.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    The Russian government is going to be loathe to admit that a loose collective of hackers is making its life miserable though.

If Russia does acknowledge Anonymous' hackings, they will likely claim it's a front for US/NATO cyberattacks against Russia.
    It probably partly is. Gives a convenient cover of plausible deniability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

How much more can Russia get away with waving this nuclear weapon card? In 2022 alone, they've committed every war crime imaginable in Ukraine, committed cyberattacks on Western powers, disrupted food lines and trade on sea, violated disputed territorial pacts, and have outright said the concept of provocation is at their discretion: What I mean is we might not outright fight them, but they may interpret *anything* as war like being pushed back into a corner enough.

And with the cyber attacks on NATO, isn't it time to enact Article 5?

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/...russian-attack
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...le-2022-03-30/
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-03-31 at 03:44 AM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

France has fired its head of military intelligence for not predicting the war, which ran counter to the correct US assessment.

And Russia has announced a ceasefire at Mariupol for Thursday to allow civilians (those not dead already) to evacuate. I'll give that about 3 seconds before they start shooting them or abducting them to take back to Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    France has fired its head of military intelligence for not predicting the war, which ran counter to the correct US assessment.

And Russia has announced a ceasefire at Mariupol for Thursday to allow civilians (those not dead already) to evacuate. I'll give that about 3 seconds before they start shooting them or abducting them to take back to Russia.
    Eh...that's odd, isn't it usually Ukraine announcing and then the corridor failing? This is a tad unexpected. But yeah, it'll likely fail like most of the others.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    With what money...? They could barely keep Soviet ones alive (and doing that is probably the main reason why Ukraine could field the current army), ask Antonov. Western help is not gonna focus on military industry first, but more important shit, like the destroyed infrastructure.

Is it a chance to built everything by the standards/book? Yes. But I have my doubts, primary because money really really will be needed for other tasks.
    With Western money, obviously. Times change, welcome to the new world order.

Economists will correct me if I'm wrong - Covid relief created too much money and worsened the inflation, especially in USA, and Russian invasion is creating an efficient way to drain some of this redundant money into Ukrainian war effort, and in future "Marshall plan" equivalent, which will help stabilize Western economies. Putin helped the Biden administration with his war, ironically.

Will some of it get embezzled? Zelensky promised to fight corruption, we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    With Western money, obviously. Times change, welcome to the new world order.

Economists will correct me if I'm wrong - Covid relief created too much money and worsened the inflation, especially in USA, and Russian invasion is creating an efficient way to drain some of this redundant money into Ukrainian war effort, and in future "Marshall plan" equivalent, which will help stabilize Western economies. Putin helped the Biden administration with his war, ironically.

Will some of it get embezzled? Zelensky promised to fight corruption, we'll see.
    Wasn't Zelensky himslef caught in the Panama Papers?
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    The Russian government is going to be loathe to admit that a loose collective of hackers is making its life miserable though.

If Russia does acknowledge Anonymous' hackings, they will likely claim it's a front for US/NATO cyberattacks against Russia.
    Haha, I'm not convinced they aren't some state actor. That said, civilians can of course do a lot of damage too... but...

Not saying I'm against it. I'm happy we have such potent weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Wasn't Zelensky himslef caught in the Panama Papers?
    yes. He's not a good guy, just like Navalny. But Putin is the very embodiment of evil so a lot of not-so-nice people are saints by comparison.

yes. He's not a good guy, just like Navalny. But Putin is the very embodiment of evil so a lot of not-so-nice people are saints by comparison.
    Remember this?

it would. it would. I have fifteen documented pages of posts of posters here claiming he's "not that stupid" or "insane" to do that and I am "drooling over a nightmare fantasy" that is never set to pass in reality.

Until he does though, there is nothing left to say from me. I will just wait.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    digging trenches in Chernobyl, how fucking dumb can you be
    Not great, not terrible. Damn, now I need to rewatch Chernobyl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, speaking of callbacks:

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    What happens?

Russia bankrupts itself, and makes the lives of 144 million Russians and 44 million Ukrainians miserable.
    Hey Mihalik, how do you feel about this early December post? And also, how do you feel about leading questions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Corridor is open in Mariupol, The international Red Cross has confirmed Russia agreed with the opening.

https://www.reuters.com/world/convoy...ys-2022-03-31/

Let's see if it holds. (I have exceedingly low expectations.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Corridor is open in Mariupol, The international Red Cross has confirmed Russia agreed with the opening.

Did they manage to changed/agreed to the route initially reported that went via a Russian controlled pit stop?
    (reached my limit @Reuters)
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I give it a 0.1% chance (and not the resident shill's 0.1%) either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Did they manage to changed/agreed to the route initially reported that went via a Russian controlled pit stop?
    (reached my limit @Reuters)
    Yeah, it's the one going through Berdiansk, to Zaporizhzhia (sorry if I use the wrong spellings, it's a bit difficult to figure out which is which.). Thee involvement of the international Red Cross may be positive though. So far it seems to work. *knocks on wood*
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-03-31 at 08:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's the one going through Berdiansk, to Zaporizhzhia (sorry if I use the wrong spellings, it's a bit difficult to figure out which is which.). Thee involvement of the international Red Cross may be positive though. So far it seems to work.
    Yes, that was a demand from Ukrainian side and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Remember this?

Didn't even manage one single day.

As far as him being a former intelligence agent: his superiors apparently felt he was a mediocre agent at best:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ies-ukraine-us

From the article:
    I think that a person like Putin could never be a good agent. But I also think that that's not an indication of incompetence. Putin's first most priority is Putin. I think this has always been the case, and to be a top agent you must regard the safety of your country greater than your own. A person like Putin would never take the risks those people take.

The current war is an indication of his incompetence tho.