Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, yes for most classes on the base races (not allied). The reason why? It is because at this point each race would have seen the importance of each class, even if they try to make their own form.

Example, orcs see that those pesky humans have paladins that can be brutal warriors that also wield the light, and use it to strengthen and enhance themselves (ret). Then they realize that their best buddies, the tauren, have something similar in the form of Sunwalkers. So a few convert to the order of the sun, and train in it. They wouldnt be the same paladins as the alliance, and slightly different then their blood elf allies, but something that seems very logical.

Let's do another... draenai rogues... oh wait they exist in lore. Shit, what about warlocks... damn they exist too... wait... I can work this. Fire against fire type, yeaaaa. Seeing how the legion was crushed, some draenai begin using the powers that had been forbidden. Not because they seek power, but to learn to control it so it never happens to their race again. To seek out those traitors that do wish to see the legions return. Calling the powers of the defeated legion to bend to their will, now that they no longer need to hide (confidence and pride being there for a storyline). Hatred and subtle curiosity from their own race. Would be fun to play a proper hated outcast.

But you see... it works for every race and class. It doesnt matter. You can come up with some excuse as easy as one of these or far more complex. It doesnt take a genius of a tauren to see how sneaking around could be useful or an undead to realize the usefulness of the light to smite their foes
    Last edited by Skayth; 2022-04-03 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When WoW goes free-to-play...because then no one will give a damn about the storyline..

- - - Updated - - -

I've never understood goblin-shaman...and quite frankly I never want to.
    People give a damn about it now? lol... Anyone who plays WoW for the lore at this point is either 5 or is into self-inflicted torture.

Nope, this would be terrible homogenization. There are all sorts of combos that make no sense and remove uniqueness from different races. Should more things open up? Sure but not every class for every race.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    ...Orc Priests. (Not Mag'har, I mean regular orc priests)

That is the one class restriction that needs to remain. If it becomes a thing, then that is the final nail in the coffin of WoW's lore.
    I'm baffled people don't immediately jump to Forsaken Druid as the worst potential offender.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I thought blood elves and dark iron where traditional pallies... with blood elves becoming them after the sunwell and not draining a naaru and dark irons just always being them?

I might of missed some lore though I'm tuned out of a lot of retcons since they butchered nearly every character I care about.
    Blood Elves draw the Light from the restored Sunwell. Sort of like Draenei do it from N'aaru.

Dark Irons, I don't know, and I'm just speculating here, but maybe they do it from an elemental source, like Tauren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    Nope, this would be terrible homogenization. There are all sorts of combos that make no sense and remove uniqueness from different races. Should more things open up? Sure but not every class for every race.
    Technically ya cant so every class, since dhs still only start are mardune

But outside of that, the only race that I can see that wouldnt do that is pandaren, but that was before exiles reach.

Every other race? I can see them wanting similar power, if not for purely for protection or power, but also for monetary reasons as in the goblins. (The reason they are even shamans). If goblins could be any class, purely because they could see some monetary value in it, they would do it. Power or protection? More healing? Bruh, ogres arent dumb enough to pass up on that

If they do that, horde population is going to plummet with elf paladins switching over to alliance. I hope they do it. I'll resub, buy the expo and be the first one to let blizzard take my money to do an automated character switch.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm baffled people don't immediately jump to Forsaken Druid as the worst potential offender.
    Mainly because the Drust is a possibility of Forsaken Druids, but it's a close second to Priest Green Orcs as the worst. (Also, I doubt they'd wanna make more Druids. They try to treat druids like a special case similar to Paladins and Shaman.)

The Drust open that avenue though. But otherwise, yes, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    Mainly because the Drust is a possibility of Forsaken Druids, but it's a close second to Priest Green Orcs as the worst. (Also, I doubt they'd wanna make more Druids. They try to treat druids like a special case similar to Paladins and Shaman.)
    Beat me to it. And the Kul'Tirans already are Drust-druids. So there's maybe a tie-in there?

Would be nice to see the Drust to get more depth than just being one-dimensional villains. They're a very interesting addition to WoW lore. They're an avenue into all the really dark pagan/celtic stuff. A bit like that era where British monks and celtic cultures are in transition and so you got the celtic crosses carved in rune stones.
    Last edited by Iain; 2022-04-03 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The Drust open that avenue though. But otherwise, yes, ugh.

Beat me to it. And the Kul'Tirans already are Drust-druids. So there's maybe a tie-in there?

Would be nice to see the Drust to get more depth than just being one-dimensional villains. They're a very interesting addition to WoW lore. They're an avenue into all the really dark pagan/celtic stuff. A bit like that era where British monks and celtic cultures are in transition and so you got the celtic crosses carved in rune stones.
    There's already speculation that Drust magic might be older than when humans started practicing the Light... It is basically an old pagan type of power. Heck it probably created the offshoot of the Harvest Witches in Gilneas (Y'know... How they have druids before the Worgen show up) but that's just deep in the realm of speculation.

Awesome, awesome. That moment when you move into that Drustvar mountain and meet that druid, there just something incredibly immersive about it. Easily the highlight of BfA's lore in hindsight.

Would be cool if the Drust got their own zone that could be entered into from various rifts in Azeroth (like one in Gil'neas, one in Duskwood, one in Darkshore) that would explain some kind of eerie feel to the place without actually them being present. And then whichever rift you enter into the new zone defines which segment of the Drust realm you can visit or something.

And same for Ardenwaeld, the Emerald Dream and possibly an Elemental realm?

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Canonically/lorewise only humans and dwarves are still only "paladins". Taurens, bloodelves, dark iron etc are actually in lore not paladins. They are called pakadins ONLY for gameplay purposes and so the game does not have 30 different classes.

The same goes for priests, shamans and druids.

Lore wise a lot of the ingame race/class combos do not exist.
    This is categorically untrue lol. I don’t know if you’re a Classic fanboy (where it still wasn’t true and was a primary advocator for more race/class combos) or if you’re brand new and unaware, but this is just so wrong.

Humans were originally Clerics, using Holy magic like Priests but in a different capacity. The magic was the same. When they failed in battle, they trained knights and clerics together, creating an order of paladins (Knights of the Silverhand). Any group of Knights (Warriors) and Clerics (Priests) have this same equal ability to become Paladins.

Dwarves with no special powers or abilities whatsoever joined the knights of the Silverhand and learned to use that power and became Paladins. This is a perfect demonstration of “just teach it to anyone” and that there is no need to have restrictions, but I guess we’ll pretend your primary reasoning against isn’t actually for having Paladin on all races I guess.

Draenei had/has Paladins. They were just fighting demons instead of undead.

High Elves have been Paladins forever. Like, almost literally forever. When Sunwell stuff happened, most became Blood Elves. They’re still Paladins, but donned themselves Blood Knights. It’s a Paladin still. Magic source even is light still, but technically they have Blood magic too due to Sunwell. Them choosing not to follow the light didn’t restrict their ability to use it.

Tauren (in Cata) did exactly what humans did. They created an order, called the Sunwalkers, to train their Clerics and Knights together.

Zandalari Trolls have always had their version of Paladins. They’re close with the loa, Rezan, which is the loa of light. They’re called Prelates but they’re Paladins.

There’s instances of rare cases of other races having Paladins too, even during Vanilla era. Night Elves have (had? RIP tree) Delas and Nereus Moonfang, for example.

Basically the only reason any given person, regardless of race, doesn’t have Paladin power is strictly because they haven’t trained in it, not because they can’t. So it’s weird that you focused on Paladin. They all have their own names for it, but Paladins are what they are. They could easily add Night Elf Paladins and have lore refer to it as “Moon Knight” or whatever.

This exact case is justifiable for all race/class combos. The only Class that would be different, as far as I know, would be Demon Hunter. But it’s not that couldn’t. They COULD also create more DHs if they wanted.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Mechagnome and goblin druids lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Signed and agreed. The lore is an iredeemable mess so who honestly still gives a shit?

The minute they allowed Pandas to be Dks, the whole lore aspect/ limitations went out the window. If they can justify Panda DKs they can justify literally anything. 1000% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    While we're at it lets get rid of factions since no one cares about lore.
    Lore? The factions make zero sense after so long when both consistently band together against a bigger threat...

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    The minute they allowed Pandas to be Dks, the whole lore aspect/ limitations went out the window. If they can justify Panda DKs they can justify literally anything. 1000% agree.
    Not really. They changed the criteria of being a DK in WotLK from being a fallen paladin to just being a hero who was resurrected by the Lich King. The only thing stopping Panderan from being DKs was that we killed the Lich King before Pandaria was uncovered.

Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    Blood Elves draw the Light from the restored Sunwell. Sort of like Draenei do it from N'aaru.

Dark Irons, I don't know, and I'm just speculating here, but maybe they do it from an elemental source, like Tauren.
    I figured it was the light since their culture was more or less just normal dwarfs till after the events of warcraft 3?

Yeah lore is no longer sacred. Having your gods just be robots sort of makes pandaren warlocks natural.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

nahhhh, unless they toss racials or something

Homogeneity is good?