Page 58 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoupa7 View Post
    SL wasn't the highest sales WoW ever had. This earnings report mentioned early sales, not 1st day sales, which was the record SL set.

And they didn't even say it came close to SL's early sales (again, not 1st day sales). It's obvious there was a significant decline in early sales and SL's early sales were likely been behind previous expansions. The only reason it set the 1st day record was because of increasing tendency to pre-order.
    I think people forget the context of the SL release as well - Covid. Entertainment providers world wide were smashing records - both the PS network and the Xbox network crashed multiple times due to load. Hell, i had VERY little interest in SL but still paid for it and played it for a while. There is also a habit some have of twisting the 'fastest selling' to somehow imply it was one of the best selling expansions ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoupa7 View Post
    SL wasn't the highest sales WoW ever had. This earnings report mentioned early sales, not 1st day sales, which was the record SL set.

And they didn't even say it came close to SL's early sales (again, not 1st day sales). It's obvious there was a significant decline in early sales and SL's early sales were likely been behind previous expansions. The only reason it set the 1st day record was because of increasing tendency to pre-order.
    That's a pretty bold assumption based on... literally nothing at all. They've never released these figures publicly. You're just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    That's a pretty bold assumption based on... literally nothing at all. They've never released these figures publicly. You're just guessing.
    Not true. They usuallly announce milestone sales volumes for the expansions. Not sure if it's blizz directly or a market watchdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Not true. They usuallly announce milestone sales volumes for the expansions. Not sure if it's blizz directly or a market watchdog.
    Care to link to that information? (Honestly curious, not trying to call you out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Care to link to that information? (Honestly curious, not trying to call you out.)
    It would be a pain to track down all of the anouncements, but here is the one they did for shadowlands. https://investor.activision.com/node/33796/pdf.

And for bfa: https://blizzard.gamespress.com/en-A...RAFT-EXPANSION

Legion the link to the blizzard press site is gone, but the copy is still on mmochamp: https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...-Tweets?page=7

I think they stopped doing the milestones in Wrath when they had the most subsribers.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    It would be a pain to track down all of the anouncements, but here is the one they did for shadowlands. https://investor.activision.com/node/33796/pdf.

Legion the link to the blizzard press site is gone, but the copy is still on mmochamp: https://www.mmo-champion.com/content...-Tweets?page=7

I think they stopped doing the milestones in Wrath when they had the most subsribers.
    He was looking for source for claim "SL wasn't the highest sales WoW ever had. This earnings report mentioned early sales, not 1st day sales, which was the record SL set." You just post pre-order/first day again.

For those argueing that SL could have been the highest selling expansion of all time, i have one simple question: Do you HONESTLY believe over 12,000,000 people purchased Shadowlands?
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Show us your source.
    Cause they only said SHADOWLANDS.
    Show us your source for BFA having bigger launch then dragonflight.
    Just go look at achievement statistics and raid logs. Weren't you guys discussing the Bellular vid a week ago? It's not perfect data but it seems pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Agall View Post
    I don't think any of it matters if the general perception is a lack of participation. Sales figures don't matter to players if you're spending hours searching for groups because there's substantially less LFG listings than you're used to. Or spending hours just queueing RSS because you can't find 3s partners to get actual rewards from PVP.
    True, but is that actually happening at the moment?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaRandomReindeer View Post
    Just go look at achievement statistics and raid logs. Weren't you guys discussing the Bellular vid a week ago? It's not perfect data but it seems pretty accurate.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...ason_1_week_7/

And this is M+ participation between SL and DF. Just as useless as comparing raid logs, because most people are ultra casual. And season start weeks after launch.

Btw, if data shows less raid logs, causation is not obvious. It could mean less people playing, it could mean less people recording their runs (more people pugs), it could mean decline of raiding in general (again, since M+ is far better option for quick sessions and gearing). Or all of the above. Or something else.

Enough of that guessing game. I saw streamers talking sth like: "oh, I think game has like 3 milion subs" and I am like dude you have literally 0 info about that. In the past (after 2015) all we had were 24 hours sales - which were stable since Cata (only exception lower MoP and higher SL), so my conclusion was that sub cycle is pretty much stable. Now all we know number is lower than SL (which was way higher than average), but it is usual 3.3M or lower? I have no idea.

But that's Blizzard problem, not mine. WoW is not fighting for survival, but for high profits.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    For those argueing that SL could have been the highest selling expansion of all time, i have one simple question: Do you HONESTLY believe over 12,000,000 people purchased Shadowlands?
    People are comparing launches of each game, not whole lifespan, so I don't know who are you talking to. We don't know how many subs had SL on launch or how many of these 12M Wrath subs bought expac even first month, back then road to current expac was way longer and WoW chews through 100M account before 2014.
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2023-02-08 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    What's that got to do with it?

These are just the QRs and this is only the day one sales. The guy I quoted referenced total sales, which is something I'm fairly certain Blizzard does not report publicly anymore.

Another thing to remember about as-of-first-day sales is that before MoP, China and the rest of the world got the expansion at different dates.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Another thing to remember about as-of-first-day sales is that before MoP, China and the rest of the world got the expansion at different dates.
    There were no expansion boxes in China region. People just subed there, even monthly sub wasn't a thing until like 2016.

Also MoP had pretty shit sales (2.7M in first week - not 24 hours) compared to any Cata-SL expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Also MoP had pretty shit sales (2.7M in first week - not 24 hours) compared to any Cata-SL expac.
    You do realize that for SL, the "first 24 hours" was actually "up to the end of the first day"? It wasn't sales just in a 24 hour period. It included all earlier sales.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

5+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that for SL, the "first 24 hours" was actually "up to the end of the first day"? It wasn't sales just in a 24 hour period. It included all earlier sales.
    I frankly never understood that "first 24 hours" bragging at the beginning of SL. Someone with a high position at Blizzard either doesn't understand that we're no longer in the 90s, when you had to physically buy the installation media (at best) or was being intentionally misleading (at worst), since those numbers included preorders, which had been available for many months before launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I frankly never understood that "first 24 hours" bragging at the beginning of SL. Someone with a high position at Blizzard either doesn't understand that we're no longer in the 90s, when you had to physically buy the installation media (at best) or was being intentionally misleading (at worst), since those numbers included preorders, which had been available for many months before launch.
    It's a quick soundbite that sounds good and the vast majority of people will not give it a second thought.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dude, first week of MoP includes preorders as well. What was point of this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It indicates how many people wanted to play the game on the day of release.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    It indicates how many people wanted to play the game on the day of release.
    It does not. Blizzard said "fastest selling xpac", not "best selling xpac". Are really some people that easy to deceive...?