Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    we all understand a ranged tank spec is just a tank with ranged spells right? staying at ranged is never gonna happen without major reworks to how bosses function. So its pretty much gonna be like a prot pally(most of the rotation is ranged spells) except maybe some casted/channeled/charged spells weaved in. Its def possible and the black dragon themes are good for tanking but if some one forced me to bet, my money would still be on opening up new classes and the event wording was just weird.
    Could be, could also be the first step to a support spec for more classes.

With the spells we already have black based ones are offensive or for support, so it's likely that it would extend that to group or raids. offensive and defensive support.

I'm going to roll the dice and place my bet on fire based melee dps.

I went from putting the chance at a new spec from like 0.1% to like 5-10% as more of the black dragonflight storyline has come out and I've seen pieces put together.

I think tank is super likely but I could also see some other kind of spec since they have gone with skinny wizard lizard look for the race (I don't think the word 'boost' is enough to think they are adding an entire new 4th role / gameplay style but it could be a kinda hybridy 2nd healer spec or dps spec with some unique utility).

Excited to see more pieces put together as we go on and this whole thing has gotten me more into datamining than ever before.

I mean this is on the article linked, but it does have more oomph if you see the in game screenshot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I mean this is on the article linked, but it does have more oomph if you see the in game screenshot

<snip>
    Ikr. Seeing all these replies and none of them seem to actually be discussing the images - just the usual hur dur about 4th role, mid expansion new spec, wowhead clickbait and what not.

If this is fake somehow, its fake.

But if it's real, how the f can we just skip past 'NEW SPECIALIZATION REMEMBERED' like it's nothing?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I also don't believe it would be a support spec. I believe we're looking at a faux-ranged tank spec.
    The quest is pretty clear that your two options for completing it are to either Boost/Heal, or DPS. Nothing about tanking. I don't think they would make the big "you get a tanking spec!" quest end with not actually tanking anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

https://twitter.com/Portergauge/stat...48778215448577

"tank" dracthyr named Dracthyr Stoneclaw as an NPC dracthyr we rescue from stasis. Take what you will out of that.

Since Blizzard billed evokers as a new ranged class, I'm going to go with another ranged dps spec. They could easily differentiate one by making it a dot and/or pet focused spec, using black dragon magma and green dragon acid as its basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Ikr. Seeing all these replies and none of them seem to actually be discussing the images - just the usual hur dur about 4th role, mid expansion new spec, wowhead clickbait and what not.

If this is fake somehow, its fake.

But if it's real, how the f can we just skip past 'NEW SPECIALIZATION REMEMBERED' like it's nothing?
    Because it is nothing.
    There is no reality in which Evokers get a new spec in the next ~2-3 months.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Yes, we are getting 3rd spec just as DH did...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    The quest is pretty clear that your two options for completing it are to either Boost/Heal, or DPS. Nothing about tanking. I don't think they would make the big "you get a tanking spec!" quest end with not actually tanking anything.
    That's the requirements for completing the quest, not your reward for completing it. Also, nothing says that you won't get some training for tanking after you obtain the new specialization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    Since Blizzard billed evokers as a new ranged class, I'm going to go with another ranged dps spec. They could easily differentiate one by making it a dot and/or pet focused spec, using black dragon magma and green dragon acid as its basis.

The problem with that is that it simply wouldn't offer enough separation from Devastation.

We're really in a box here; A healing spec doesn't match the theme of the Black Dragonflight, a support spec doesn't fit WoW's trinity and would essentially alter the entire composition of the game mid-expansion, and another DPS spec would be way too similar to the existing Devastation spec.

If there's a new Evoker spec, it almost HAS to be a tank spec. Tanking fits the theme of the black dragonflight like a glove, and such a spec would make the class feel more "complete".

BTW, there is no mail tank spec in the game. So there's that as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Yes, we are getting 3rd spec just as DH did...
    TBF, Demon Hunters never had the design space to be a 3 spec class. They barely had enough for 2 specs.

In the case of Evokers, the Black Dragonflight aspect of the class is clearly missing/underrepresented, especially considering that it was that aspect that created them in the first place.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-03-11 at 01:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazzle View Post
    I might expect this could be the first steps towards “unlocking” more classes for dracthyr.
    So another blood elf look alike skin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Would be cool, but Blizzard knows if they do this then that can of worms is open and people are going to want fourth specs (or third and fourth for DH). My question would be, is Blizzard willing to open that can of worms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enak101 View Post
    https://twitter.com/Portergauge/stat...48778215448577

"tank" dracthyr named Dracthyr Stoneclaw as an NPC dracthyr we rescue from stasis. Take what you will out of that.
    Nice catch. Here's the pics;

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Would be cool, but Blizzard knows if they do this then that can of worms is open and people are going to want fourth specs (or third and fourth for DH). My question would be, is Blizzard willing to open that can of worms?

I feel that this is a completely different situation. In the case of Evokers, they have a pretty legitimate reason to get a third spec, even moreso than Shaman getting a Fourth spec. It always seemed kind of dumb to me that Blizzard released Evokers with only 2 specs, but holding off the third spec to give more weight to their story does make sense. Maybe not from a balance perspective, but definitely from a lore/story perspective.

It *should* be a tank spec. Black spells missing etc. It won't be a ranged tank (well, no more than a prot pala), but that's mostly an imaginary worry people have about "caster tanks".

Raids need lots of ranged DPS. But when a raid splits up to do keys, you need extra tank specs. Currently only melee* dps can go tank (or healers, but you need healers for keys as well). Or, conversely, if an M+ tank wants to join a raid guild they can only fill melee dps slots, which have much harder competition. Giving tank players more options for their offspecs won't give us more tanks, but it will make life better for existing tanks.

*yes, yes, boomkin exists but adding tank evoker doubles the options. Would be even better with a third or even four options, like healer, but I'll take tankvoker for now.

5+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice, but in that case Blizzard would be hyping the hell out of the feature, wouldn't they? For the time being, it looks like Blizzard trolling data miners rather than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It would be nice, but in that case Blizzard would be hyping the hell out of the feature, wouldn't they? For the time being, it looks like Blizzard trolling data miners rather than anything else.
    They could be waiting with the hype until 10.0.7 hits, the quest is from 10.1?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just read that there is dialogue in 10.7 about Neltharion draining the black dragon essence from Evokers, and being warned by his lackey that that will cripple their abilities. If Evokers are getting their Black Dragon essence back in 10.1, that can justify a new specialization mid-expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Just read that there is dialogue in 10.7 about Neltharion draining the black dragon essence from Evokers, and being warned by his lackey that that will cripple their abilities. If Evokers are getting their Black Dragon essence back in 10.1, that can justify a new specialization mid-expansion.
    The "Specialization Remembered" questline deals with freeing Adamanthia, who was the Dragon in charge of the Dracthyr experiment. In 10.0.7 we find her detained in a Rock Prison, and several journals.

She was the one who sealed away the ability to use the Black Dragon abilities from the Dracthyr.

Usually, I'd be cautious about placeholder text like that, but that text, combined with what the quest is actually about does make me lean towards it being real and happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    The "Specialization Remembered" questline deals with freeing Adamanthia, who was the Dragon in charge of the Dracthyr experiment. In 10.0.7 we find her detained in a Rock Prison, and several journals.

She was the one who sealed away the ability to use the Black Dragon abilities from the Dracthyr.

Usually, I'd be cautious about placeholder text like that, but that text, combined with what the quest is actually about does make me lean towards it being real and happening.
    The plot thickens....

Yeah, at this point the only thing working against this being a new specialization is Blizzard never having introduced a new specialization mid-expansion before, and that's a pretty weak thing to hang your hat on.

I suppose the other thing is the fact that Blizzard supposedly said that Evokers can't be tanks and they don't want anymore melee, yet the tank spec is really the only spec that makes sense. The only other option would be to pull a shaman and make a melee DPS spec, which really doesn't fit the class. That means that you make a caster tank along the same lines as the Dark Apothesis Warlock from MoP and WoD, which was literally an ability away from being a viable tank. A caster tank would fit both the class, the talents, and the black dragon theme. Also as @paxen stated, it would be very good for raid groups.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-03-11 at 04:13 PM.