Poll: Do you think Dragonwrath could be useful as a AA specced Disc priest?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Smile Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest *Possibly Useful For Disc Priests*?

Ik, ik this is quite a stretch, but just take a minute to think about it, If you are a Atonement/AA build Disc priest, in which case Atonement is a fairly hefty chunk of your heals, meaning your consistently throwing out Holy Fires and Smites, which are technically damaging spells, wouldn't those have a chance of proccing the *Duplicate Spell*? Im making the assumption that duplicate spell means the spell is going to hit for say 20k then immediately after hit for 20k, now a 20k smite hit will usually throw out a good 24-25k heal on someone nearby in need, so wouldn't having a chance at throwing out basically a second "free and instant cast smite heal" be a nice thing to have, I mean it all depends on the proc rate of this thing, but like I said this is all speculation. I realize the hit almost makes my argument invalid because of the glyph of divine accuracy, but there is a thing as reforging, now I personally would reforge 150 of that hit > spirit, although its not ideal that's still a hefty amount of spirit you can pull from that weapon, giving you a "reasonable" spirit/haste healing weapon, both of which are very beneficial. As a disc priest, or at least on my disc priest I also feel I don't need nearly as much spirit as say a holy priest so the lack of spirit on Dragonwrath wouldn't be as detrimental to a disc priest as it may other healing classes. I mean let's face it, the 150 Int you get from sockets and bonuses is pretty hard to pass up :/

Alternatively, if your a Disc/Shadow priest, reforging the staff's hit > spirit wouldn't hurt your Shadow Gear set either, because it would be as if you never reforged out of any of that hit, so you could literally leave that staff unchanged and be able to switch in and out of it from disc to shadow, without any re-reforging needed at ALL!

Just something that crossed my mind, I'd love to hear what you guys think!

One thing to clarify, I am in NO WAY saying that this legendary should ever ever under any circumstances be given to a healer over a caster DPS class, I'm just saying if you at some point were able to get your hands on this, would you find it viable as a disc priest.
    Last edited by RyZoR; 2011-06-14 at 03:13 PM.

It would be useful, but nothing gamebreaking. A free heal every once in a while? Yeah, we already have that, it's called Surge of Light. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Can see this staff being BiS as far as arena goes for Disc's, with the amount of offensive pressure they can push out if needed.

NO. Honestly blizz already messed up with the treansition from healing power to damage power, where all healers and caster dps in Wtlk had to fight over cloth. Its a purely dps weapon, and under no circumstance a healer would benefit at all from it compared to a dps. Even Blizz said "Healers stay away from this"

<3
    This bro quit the game but still loves the game and will be back for MoP!

Deleted
    The "duplicate spell" won't be Holy Fire or Smite though: it'll be a new Arcane damage effect, so it won't proc the heal, it'll just duplicate the damage.

I'm sure that the Legendary will be a fine healing weapon for Druids, Shaman and Priests simply because of the Intellect that the high iLevel brings, regardless of the fact that they will be unlikely to gain much from the proc or the un-reforged hit rating. If you already have it from your caster DPS spec and you're called upon to heal then I'm sure it will perform admirably.

However, just like Shadowmourne was a fine DK tanking weapon, giving Tarecgosa to a healer over a DPS (despite being perfectly acceptable for that role) will very likely be a rather unpopular move because it makes a bigger difference than the alternatives available to the DPS.

Oooo Thank you! I did not know that! Like I said, I was just going off assumptions that I myself have made, well if your correct and that's the case, then I guess most of what I just said holds no value! >.< thanks again!

I predict Kel's head is going to explode when she see's this topic...

And while it might be useful... I wouldn't expect anyone to give it to disc before their ranged dps casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    And while it might be useful... I wouldn't expect anyone to give it to disc before their ranged dps casters.
    Pretty sure he means disc offspec of a shadow priest.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Pretty sure he means disc offspec of a shadow priest.
    Ohhh... well in that case I fail at reading ><

If my guild gives that staff to a healer - I'm going to /gquit. No one, really, would be dumb enough to give it to a disc priest unless they want EVERY caster dps, or members thinking it should go to caster dps, in their guild to either leave.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    If my guild gives that staff to a healer - I'm going to /gquit. No one, really, would be dumb enough to give it to a disc priest unless they want EVERY caster dps, or members thinking it should go to caster dps, in their guild to either leave.
    I do believe he meant if he was Shadow MS, and his guild were to give it to him for Shadow, that it would also possibly perform well for his atonement os.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    I do believe he meant if he was Shadow MS, and his guild were to give it to him for Shadow, that it would also possibly perform well for his atonement os.
    +1 To you! haha yes that is exactly what I meant, maybe I should have clarified that a little better! Oopsie!

Quote Originally Posted by VoidStar View Post
    The "duplicate spell" won't be Holy Fire or Smite though: it'll be a new Arcane damage effect, so it won't proc the heal, it'll just duplicate the damage.
    Do you have a source for this? or are you just stating a guess?

Like previously said it will be good for healers just with the fact of the bonus int. Plus throwing in 3 more +40 int or if they do epic gems will outweight the hit on it. I am not saying give it to a healer over a dps. What i am saying is, After the mage, warlock, spriest, boomkin, eleshammy gets it. It will be good for any healer. If you run a 10 man some people only roll 1 caster where then a healer would be second in line for this staff. And the staff would be an upgrade.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

Well considering no one is exactly sure how the proc works no there is not a source for that. However, right now it is understood that it won't copy the spell which procs it, just deal damage equal to the spell that triggers it. Like I said it's all speculation right now though.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the time it takes a guild to get one is similar to Val'anyr and Shadowmourne, I am thinking by the time you get around to it being that trivial, you'll be playing new content, but I am not 100% sure on the exact crafting process

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    If the time it takes a guild to get one is similar to Val'anyr and Shadowmourne, I am thinking by the time you get around to it being that trivial, you'll be playing new content, but I am not 100% sure on the exact crafting process
    From what I understand, you have to get an item from some trash mob in Firelands, then do some quests and turn in 25 of some Primordial-Saronite-Equivalent item and 4 Sands of Time, then do some more quests and get a whole bunch of chance-drop items from Firelands bosses. Afaik it's pretty much the same as Shadowmourne, but I didn't really read into it much.

Hell yes it's useful for disc priests! Well...as useful as anything with a truck load of int and extra dps (possibly healing depending on how the proc works) from an ATT spec. Shame I'm last in line behind mages/locks/SPs/Boomkins/Ele, but I'm ahead of the other healers at least. It's good, but know your place in the pecking order.

Atonement is not going to proc from the duplicated spell, the duplicated spell only copies your damage.
    It is cast as its own spell, and deals arcane damage.

I think it'll be BiS. I don't think anyone in their right mind will give it to a healer until every caster DPS has one.

15+ Year Old Account
    The downside, of course, would come from the fact that the proc likely would not copy Atonement's effect.

The way the proc seems to read, the damage comes from the staff effect and not your spell effect. Therefore, the "copied" Smite or Holy Fire would not give an additional heal.

The only way it might be more useful is if it copies a Holy Fire proc and double stacks your HF DoT, and both increased your Smite's damage through Glyph of Smite.

In terms of stats, sure, it'd be incredibly useful. Beyond that, however, it would be far better served in the hands of a real DPS class. My vote is no (and this is as someone who uses AA disc).
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present