Poll: Should there be restrictions on where one can smoke?

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Umm actually it is. Both addictions when stopped give withdrawls. I smoke cigs so I don't get the withdrawl as well as to wake up in the morning. I also drink caffine to wake up and when I don't I get headaches just like when I go a few days without smoking. Logic is bad.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 12:12 AM ----------

And to be quite honest caffine withdrawls are much more annoying and painful than cigarette withdrawls.

The more you know the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also want to add I'm fully in support of no smoking in restaurants and well stores.

But bans outside that's where I'll step up along smokers and fight for them.
    I don't want to see more and more rights taken away from anyone.

People say they don't have right or the bill of rights too many pages back to find.
    I'm sorry smokers are protected it's called freedom.

Anyone who denies that should read it.

Deleted
    If your in open air you should be aloud to smoke its your choice, i smoked at one point but i like money more than a smoke :P but yeh i see smokers as people who need to be respectfull; like not smoking near small children or in an enclosed area (bus shelter), at the same time people need to get over the scare tactics people are using, just because every few days someone smokes near you will not affect your health.

Its just like it should be the same as it is now (least for where i am), i live in england the age to sell tobaco is 18 and tbh its a minority that smokes under that age anyway, i just see it as a personal choice like drinking :P

Who is anyone to tell me what i can/cant do to my own body? I think stores should reserve the right to say smoking or non however. People smoking in schools and nurseries and such are just A-holish to me.

What makes the rights of a non-smoker above that of a smoker?
    Smokers have chosen to partake in an activity. They can't expect society to bend around them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Smokers have chosen to partake in an activity. They can't expect society to bend around them.
    Non-smokers have chosen to not partake in an activity. They can't expect society to bend around them.

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    In the same thing why is it ok for a non-smoker to prevent a smoker from being some where?
    Wait, what? How are non-smokers preventing smokers from being somewhere? The logic doesn't work. We just don't want them smoking somewhere. They can be wherever they want. Seriously, do they have to have a cigarette hanging out constantly?

Yes, many non-smokers don't want people to smoke near them.
    That's a lot more reasonable than a smoker preventing non-smokers to breathe near them.

You want to compare rights? Smokers want the right to smoke anywhere. Non-smokers want the right to breathe everywhere. Which right takes precedence?

It's not about picking one group over the other, it's about using common sense. Breathing is more important than smoking.

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 08:06 AM ----------

Non-smokers have chosen to not partake in an activity. They can't expect society to bend around them.
    You're kidding, right? This has to be a joke argument. Of course we expect society to bend around us. We chose not to partake in smoking. Thus, yes, it's reasonable to not want to be forced to inhale smoke if we want to live our everyday lives. It's a reasonable expectation. Smokers can still smoke, they just have to find proper places and times to do it, for the consideration of others.

You do know that this isn't a rebuttal right? If you want to make the choice to smoke then you get to deal with regulations on it. Your little derp there isn't the same because we're nonsmokers by default.

Deleted
    well, i dont like smoking when it is neaby other people, just becouse it harms them, but i tend to go smoke when im alone, and not neaby anyone =) so i cant harm them ofc.

Deleted
    I've been an active smoker for slightly over four years now (quit a couple of weeks ago though) and what I did for those four years was I made sure I walked atleast 15+ meters away from anyone before smoking. I never smoked where I could be seen by a child and as soon as I was out walking about and someone came towards me with a baby carriage I would instantly put my smoke out and either put it back in the pack or throw it in the closest trash can.

My point is this, people should be allowed to smoke pretty much anywhere as long as they respect their fellow smokers and non smokers. Same thing goes for non smokers, you should respect your fellow smokers aswell.
    It's all about common courtesy imo.

TL;DR - Respect one another, common courtesy is not that hard to use my friends.

*EDIT* Almost forgot, I was all for the indoor smoking ban they put up, some places shouldn't allow smoking, mostly indoor areas but also some outdoor areas, like X amount of distance from a school/kindergarden/playground for example.
    Last edited by mmoc6dabd31bea; 2012-01-27 at 08:45 AM.

they should smoke at their home and breath that crap them selves.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    No its just makes you a raging fkn lunatic. All I see in this thread is you saying "OMFG HOW DARE YOU SAY ANYTHING AGAINST MY CHEMICAL ADDICTION YOUR ARE ALL EVIL AND SHOULD DIE AND YOUR OPINIONS AND HEALTH DON'T MEAN SHIT COMPARED TO MINE."

I am sorry, but you are fucking pathetic. I know I am going to get infracted for this but I truly feel sorry for you. Nicotine and cigarettes are so ingrained in you that you are sitting here raging on an interwebz forum of faceless nobodies because they are sick and tired of having to smell the shit smoke you people blow in our faces. You are talking about you having the right to smoke, well we also have the right to not have to breath in your poison. If you cant understand that then how the fuck do you expect anyone to understand your side.

Show some fucking consideration to your fellow man and to your own body. Stop being a slave to a chemical that is killing you. I mean seriously, it is scientifically proven that smoking lessens your lifespan. How stupid do you have to be to voluntarily hurry up your death in order to get your precious nicotine. Yet you sit here and judge those of us who are obviously amazingly more intelligent than you.

Again, I feel sorry for you and for your loved ones that will have to bury you sooner, rather than later,

Lmao... man you QQ a whole lot about nothing.
    You're the guy I see making paragraph after paragraph talking all sorts of mad shit to someone cause they smoke.

Did banning alcohol do anything? How's that war on drugs?

You campaigning to stop all automobiles? They're a lot more hazardous to our health than cigarettes are, at least on a second hand level. Never heard of a cigarette piling through eighteen other cigarettes on a highway and killing sixteen people. Also I've never heard of anyone lighting up sixteen cartons worth of cigarettes in their garage to off themselves from the fumes... oh wait that's right they use the FUMES FROM CARS! :O

But then again if you did all this against cars, and so did everyone else, why in ten years they might make your ass STOP DRIVING CARS! They might limit the minimum distances your car can drive, therefore "justifying" the use of said car.

Man it almost seems like if someone took away your car, or your caffeine, or your television, or your internet, you'd probably freak right the fuck out and cry and whine and bitch and complain about THOSE things, but since you don't HAPPEN to smoke cigarettes, you'll spew out all these reasons why other people shouldn't.

Fascinating stuff, really.

Also for the record it's been scientifically "proven" that BBQ increases your chances of cancer, also science proved a long time ago that fried food increases heart attack risks, but now there's NEW SCIENCE! That's showing the OLD SCIENCE! Is actually wrong and fried foods might not ACTUALLY be doing what we thought it has all this time.

Let's talk about the natural fats found in lard, avocados, and all sorts of other fun foods and food products that SCIENCE PROVED! Was bad for you, and we offered shortening, which science then proved another decade and a half later is actually WORSE for you than natural lard.

Let's talk about how science proved carbs were the wave of the future to weight loss, then how science went back and found out this high carb saturated mindset is what caused most Americans to become the obese fuckers they are today.

Ah yes, the things science has proven.
    Last edited by Slanderize; 2012-01-27 at 09:11 AM.

Smoking releases extra carbon dioxide into the air. Do we really need any more contributions to global warming?
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    Smoking releases extra carbon dioxide into the air. Do we really need any more contributions to global warming?
    We also live substantially shorter lifes and our blood can't absorb as much oxygen hence we don't produce as much carbon dioxide, as a non-smoker would!
    But im willing to forgive all the non-smokers and pro-lifers for ruining our biosphere by breathing more and longer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    That's pretty ignorant. I read that of the carbon dioxide emitted into the air, only about 3% of it is human-made. So any additional carbon dioxide released from smoking is absolutely and utterly negligible in the grand scheme of things.

The other thing I find hilarious is people reacting as if someone taking a puff of a cigarette 5 feet away from them has 110% chance of giving them lung cancer. The effects of second-hand smoke are pretty minuscule and there are many very well-informed folks who would argue that it has no effect at all. This thread is a PRIME example of people who believe anything they hear on a TV commercial. The same type of people who think marijuana is extremely dangerous and turns people into violent murderers (nobody has ever died from smoking marijuana).

Watch this and learn a little bit.

All that said, I support banning smoking indoors in public buildings, and it has been that way where I live for a good while now. The people screaming "ban it altogether!" are just childish though. It's like screaming "take away my rights!" which makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Last edited by Enders; 2012-01-27 at 12:50 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Living in the UK smoking in all buildings that is a place of work illegal, at the time I felt it was disgraceful but now.. to be able to walk into any environment and not smell smoke to come home after going out not smelling of smoke. to not have ash or cigarette burns down my clothes because a smoker has accidentley bumped into me. its been amazing. Not to mention no ash on carpets, no yellow walls, no ash on tables, no burnt carpets/furniture. At the same time over the period the rates of heart and lung disease have dropped massively leading to a health nation and less of a drain on our healthcare system. A smoker may have the freedom to smoke but the minute that impinges on my freedom to breath fresh clean air and not have clothes and hair that smell of smoke then their right become for-fitted. Its like i have the right to swing my hands around in the shape of a fist as much as i like until it hits someone and i impinge on their freedom to walk down a street without being assaulted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venteus View Post
    Smoke =/= Smelly things

The issue is it's unhealthy, and additive.
    I know. My comment was directed at the way smoke smells, not the actual effects of it. If I have to choose between sitting next to the person who smells like they just smoked, or the person who just doused themselves in cheap body spray, I'll pick the one who just smoked.

Deleted
    I changed my mind, the thing that annoys me the most about smokers.. is quite possibly hands down the ones that smoke outside hospitals. Like, right outside. You're taking someone out for fresh air and POOOOOOOOOOF, we just went back to the industrial age.

We're talking Nurses here, too.

It's very nice reading through the thread to find considerate smokers, but to be honest, plastering the "you're only exposed to it for a small amount of time" crap doesn't fly. Second hand smoke is and has been proven to more aggravating for cancer than anything else. This includes car traffic, etc. I'm not saying everyone in the world should be subjugated to being a second class citizen for doing what they enjoy, but if half of you started to consider what you're doing to the general public, maybe you'd change how you went about it.

Whether it be not smoking around children (#1 imo), smoking in really crowded places (exposing hundreds to passive smoke), just be considerate. I was so glad to be out of London. Leaving Victoria Station was like smoking 40 cigarettes at once.

In the same thing why is it ok for a non-smoker to prevent a smoker from being some where?

If they are outside in a public place you can move.
    You don't need to stand next to them. Most people don't just stand around, sure smokers do but why would you just stand next to them?
    Or the smokers could just move to where there are no non-smokers.

By smoking near me you are infringing on my right to breath without getting second hand smoke. Why should I leave the buss stop just because you want to smoke?

That's like letting some gas lose and then telling everyone around you to leave the room if they don't like it. (Although that would be less offensive to me because at lest your not effecting my health)
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-01-27 at 02:21 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I smoke and i completely agree folks shouldnt smoke in public buildings. Where can i find the rest of this video im kinda curious how it ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    That's pretty ignorant. I read that of the carbon dioxide emitted into the air, only about 3% of it is human-made. So any additional carbon dioxide released from smoking is absolutely and utterly negligible in the grand scheme of things.

The other thing I find hilarious is people reacting as if someone taking a puff of a cigarette 5 feet away from them has 110% chance of giving them lung cancer. The effects of second-hand smoke are pretty minuscule and there are many very well-informed folks who would argue that it has no effect at all. This thread is a PRIME example of people who believe anything they hear on a TV commercial. The same type of people who think marijuana is extremely dangerous and turns people into violent murderers (nobody has ever died from smoking marijuana).

Watch this and learn a little bit.

All that said, I support banning smoking indoors in public buildings, and it has been that way where I live for a good while now. The people screaming "ban it altogether!" are just childish though. It's like screaming "take away my rights!" which makes absolutely no sense to me.