Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I thought it was a great episode, and for those sad few that think Amy/Rory are the worst companions, you have clearly not seen Donna Noble. Ugh what an obnoxious woman. I know they brought her in so they'd take a break from the "hot companion that has feelings for the Doctor", but still. Not my cup of tea. Scottish redhead? Thankyouverymuch!
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Knight View Post
    I thought it was a great episode, and for those sad few that think Amy/Rory are the worst companions, you have clearly not seen Donna Noble. Ugh what an obnoxious woman. I know they brought her in so they'd take a break from the "hot companion that has feelings for the Doctor", but still. Not my cup of tea. Scottish redhead? Thankyouverymuch!
    donna is usually seen as the best companion so far on most forums, most people tend to despise rose especially series 2 rose. although i loved rose and donna.

dont really like amy and ive noticed on most doctor who sites alot of people prefer rory over amy. i liked amy at first and i still loved her as a companion but shes a very selfish person however rory has just gotten more badass every series and ill be so sad to see him go.

also at the screening caro skinner pretty much said oswin and the companion are different people, just both played by the same person. however if those rumors about the new companions name being clara oswin then oswin oswald could be related to her, or moffat could be lying to us again because he loves to lie

matt smith is definitely my favorite DT will always be my doctor but matt smith just feels so much more like the doctor to me and he feels alot darker and older than davids doctor
    Last edited by Immitis; 2012-09-04 at 03:48 AM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post
    -Daleks too scared to go into the Asylum
    -Doctor telling Amy to stay scared because emotion's are not Dalek

Hmm...

Oswin's hearing crazy daleks at the very start
    Oswin's room was in "Intensive Care", surrounded by Daleks that "Don't wake up for anything"

Hmm..

Oswin deletes the Doctor from the Pathmind
    Oswin still remembers the Doctor

Hmm..

Daleks using the Doctor to solve their problems was just pure wrong, he is their most feared enemy
    Daleks using Human conversions was just weird, so much for the Kill Everything Not Dalek attitude
    That really weird scene where Amy perceives all the daleks as people, that was just odd.

It all just felt a little.. off to me.
    It was. Daleks would never 'convert' a human into a dalek. Ever. That would be like the SS picking up some black, gay, jewish guy out of a gypsy camp and putting a uniform on him. You could argue that these were insane Daleks and so anything goes with them but even the Doctor wasn't surprised. Heck, when Rose got a bit of her DNA mixed up with a Dalek it chose to blow itself up!

Chalk it up to crappy writing on the part of Mr 'Too busy trying to think up snappy dialogue' Moffat.

There were bits that were good where the Doctor acknowledges the fact that his continued battle with the daleks pretty much turned them into the menace they are today, or the new take on the robomen (I quite liked their new look), or the fact that the Doctor was a complete arse to Oswin and the redhead robolady at the start.

It would be great if Moffat plans to turn the Doctor into something like the 7th Doctor (who was MY doctor) - a bumbling, clown to begin with and then turns into a dark, secretive mastermind, always 17 steps ahead of everyone else. Ah, Sylvester McCoy, you were brilliant!
    Last edited by mmocca4d027e54; 2012-09-04 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sissyfoo View Post
    It was. Daleks would never 'convert' a human into a dalek. Ever. That would be like the SS picking up some black, gay, jewish guy out of a gypsy camp and putting a uniform on him. You could argue that these were insane Daleks and so anything goes with them but even the Doctor wasn't surprised. Heck, when Rose got a bit of her DNA mixed up with a Dalek it chose to blow itself up!

Chalk it up to crappy writing on the part of Mr 'Too busy trying to think up snappy dialogue' Moffat.

There were bits that were good where the Doctor acknowledges the fact that his continued battle with the daleks pretty much turned them into the menace they are today, or the new take on the robomen (I quite liked their new look), or the fact that the Doctor was a complete arse to Oswin and the redhead robolady at the start.

It would be great if Moffat plans to turn the Doctor into something like the 7th Doctor (who was MY doctor) - a bumbling, clown to begin with and then turns into a dark, secretive mastermind, always 17 steps ahead of everyone else. Ah, Sylvester McCoy, you were brilliant!
    actually the daleks have converted humans to daleks a couple times now and by converting they mean rewriting their dna, the dalek in the episode dalek of season 1 was angry because it had human dna in it and it was effecting the way it thought, however changing the dna of a human and turning it into a dalek is completely different and is a tactic daleks have used alot of times when their desperate and considering these were insane trapped daleks of course they would convert a genius it makes complete sense. you have to remember the daleks were originally the kaleds which were very human like to begin with so the dna of a dalek and a human arent that different making humans good dalek material.

they used similar methods in the series 1 finale, the dalek emperor was creating daleks out of humans, in the daleks take Manhattan (i think thats the episode title) the original plan was to return the daleks to their kaled form but retain their dalek minds, however when dalek sek was contaminated the other daleks saw it as a failed idea. again in the world war 2 episode the iron side daleks were made with human material thats why they couldnt open the dalek progenitor they were tainted with human dna and thus werent "true" daleks.

in fact the majority of the daleks in the new series up until series 5 were all dalek mutants made out of human dna except a select few.

also the doctor didnt tell amy to stay scared he said " subtract love and add hate and thats a dalek, their trying to subtract love dont let them" he was basically telling her to tell rory she still loves him.

also oswin remembers the doctor because she was the one who hacked the dalek pathweb, its the same reason why the doctor can remember rory after hes erased from the universe, typically in doctor who if your the one who does it you can remember.

and to be honest i think matt smith is exactly how you described mccoy to me matt smith is a wide eyed explorer who wants to see the beauty of the universe but hes also very dark even though hes the youngest doctor yet he feels like the oldest one out of the three from the new series and he feels the darkest, hes a very angry and impulsive doctor.

i think him getting darker and darker each regeneration is building up to the valeyard and i think when he regenerates into the 12th doctor he will infact regenerate either into two people or into the valeyard. for those who dont know who the valeyard is, hes basicaly everything dark inside the doctor made manifest.

i love the line the doctor used when amy asks him what to do, amy: "what do we do" doctor: "make them remember you"

now that the daleks dont remember him i think its going to ultimately end with him giving them a new reason to fear him besides the time war.

i havent watched alot of the old series but ive seen alot of clips of McCoy and he reminds me alot of an older matt smith in the way his doctor acts. i plan on watching every episode from the first doctor onwards even the ones they only have audio for. my dream one day is to actually play the doctor at some point, doctor who is what got me into acting
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post
    -Daleks too scared to go into the Asylum
    -Doctor telling Amy to stay scared because emotion's are not Dalek

Hmm...

Oswin's hearing crazy daleks at the very start
    Oswin's room was in "Intensive Care", surrounded by Daleks that "Don't wake up for anything"

Hmm..

Oswin deletes the Doctor from the Pathmind
    Oswin still remembers the Doctor

Hmm..

Daleks using the Doctor to solve their problems was just pure wrong, he is their most feared enemy
    Daleks using Human conversions was just weird, so much for the Kill Everything Not Dalek attitude
    That really weird scene where Amy perceives all the daleks as people, that was just odd.

It all just felt a little.. off to me.
    1: That's a script writing frak up, Emotions are very darlek especially anger, I would go as far as to say rage is one of the defining characteristics of the Darleks

2: The Darleks Oswin was hearing at the start were in her head, not her room The Darleks she was hearing were her inner darlekian self trying to take over, but she was resisting them, staying mental and thinking she was human

3: Oswin wasn't part of the Pathmind, because she still thought she was human so she wasn't accessing it, her memories of him were from her own old human brain.

4: Daleks using the Doctor is odd, Daleks trying to kill two birds with one stone by ending the Asylum problem AND nuking the Doctor is bang on the money.
    They're homicidal, but not stupid, they saw the use in her and tried to convert her, it's been done before just very very VERY rarely.
    I thought that was one of the best scenes in the episode.. was SO freakin creepy, really added to the whole 'yup, these bots and BATSHIT crazy feel (or should that be botshit?)
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2012-09-04 at 12:29 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    donna is usually seen as the best companion so far on most forums, most people tend to despise rose especially series 2 rose. although i loved rose and donna.
    How'd Rose win best companion in BBC's poll then I wonder? Not sure what forums have donna as the best, clearly not ones I frequent heh. Anyhoo should be interesting to see when they incorporate the new Companion, I think halfway through is the plan?
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

they were planning to introduce her in the christmas episode but instead she will start 6th episode of this season. She is the actress that played the girl in the first episode of the season.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    actually the daleks have converted humans to daleks a couple times now and by converting they mean rewriting their dna, the dalek in the episode dalek of season 1 was angry because it had human dna in it and it was effecting the way it thought, however changing the dna of a human and turning it into a dalek is completely different and is a tactic daleks have used alot of times when their desperate and considering these were insane trapped daleks of course they would convert a genius it makes complete sense. you have to remember the daleks were originally the kaleds which were very human like to begin with so the dna of a dalek and a human arent that different making humans good dalek material.

they used similar methods in the series 1 finale, the dalek emperor was creating daleks out of humans, in the daleks take Manhattan (i think thats the episode title) the original plan was to return the daleks to their kaled form but retain their dalek minds, however when dalek sek was contaminated the other daleks saw it as a failed idea. again in the world war 2 episode the iron side daleks were made with human material thats why they couldnt open the dalek progenitor they were tainted with human dna and thus werent "true" daleks.

in fact the majority of the daleks in the new series up until series 5 were all dalek mutants made out of human dna except a select few.
    True, but at the end of season one they were harvesting humans, and only finding one cell out of billions that was acceptable to be used in the creation of a dalek. My point was that even though they may, at some point, have had a certain amount of human genetic information in them, the idea of turning a complete human into a dalek should be abhorrent to them. As I recall, even the Doctor was shocked by the idea that they would contaminate themselves with human genetic info. Those daleks were full on crazy cakes and even they didn't go the full 'human -> dalek' conversion. They even refused to acknowledge what they had done and viewed it as blasphemy to say they were even remotely human.

Plus, those were the new daleks we saw, the ones that obliterated the iron sides for being 'dirty', so they should be even MORE obessesed with racial purity.

Now, if they had plugged Oswin into a machine or converted her in some other way (brain chips, ethernet cable, whatever) in order to make use of her genius that way, that I could have accepted. Heck, that might have been even more shocking; having accepted her as a hawt (like, really HAWT) young thing only to reveal she has been converted into some kind of freakish Davros-like monstrosity!!

A lot of the earlier McCoy episodes are disappointing because they initially portray him as a Chaplin-esque clown. Also, if you thought Donna was a bad companion then wait until you see Mel. Oh my god. Hands down the most annoying creature in existence, fictional or otherwise. I'd take a f**king ewok as a companion over her (Jub jub, Doctor?). But the later episodes are great. I especially recommend 'Remembrance of the Daleks' and 'Curse of Fenric', the latter being one of the most awesome stories ever. Gave me the serious heebie jeebies when I was young.

The problem with the daleks is that the writers are trying too hard to make them scary. They will never be scary. Ever. And the scary boat has long since sailed; RTD did them into the ground and every episode ended up with them all getting blown to bits apart from one or two survivors who hobbled away. They are mass marketed, turned into toys and generally pimped out whenever Dr Who is hinted at in the media.

If you wanted to make the daleks more respectable as enemies then the writers need to approach it from a different angle. Make them an enemy where just the mere act of successfully running away is considered a 'victory'. Show them being brutal and ruthless like the proper space nazis they are. Society is so ennured to violence in the media that the daleks need to be spectacularly vicious in order for people to step back and say, "Damn, they bad ass!" because until then they will just be the intergalactic pepper pots that people make fun of every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Thing is... that's kinda been done, didnt' Martha basically leave because she got tired of all the rubbish that comes with being a companion? Afaik in the current era (and maybe in the classic era, but I'm not 100% on that) they've never just said fuck it, and killed off all his companions, it would be pretty epiccly grim for Amy to die doing something epic (and it looks like she's going to take all the Daleks with her ) and then Rory goes all 'last Centurion' and Beserkers a bunch of bad guys before dieing.
    Actually Martha left because at that point she finally maned up and realized that following someone around like a love sick puppy (especially when the person doesn't see you like that at all) is no way to live a life.

I hope if they die then they die accomplishing something epic and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Great episode. Very interesting how the Daleks actually "forgot" the Doctor. I wonder if that will be permanent for all Daleks?
    I think it will and that it might play into the whole Fields of Pelanor thing we are supposed to have some closure on this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonwing View Post
    7. As soon as the dalek says the full word, Rory realizes immediately. Until then, it only manages to repeat the first part of the word. Rory, who has little experience with daleks, did not assume at first that it was trying to say "Exterminate". Simple as that. How would this even be considered a plot hole?
    Actually as soon the Dalek gets to the "ter" part of the word he realizes something bad is about to happen. Before that he was just sort of panicking and hoping he could do something to make the dalek go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Was anyone else hoping JLC would stay on as the new companion... INSIDE A DALEK?

A benevolent Dalek as a companion. My head would EXPLODE.
    Yea I was wondering about that too.. Would be really interesting from a storytelling perspective, but probably wouldn't workout longterm

15+ Year Old Account
    I've just been rewatching Doctor Who while leveling in GW2, and i just watched Season 4 Episode 6 'The Doctors Daughter'. I then realised that i haven't seen her since the end of the episode and flew off in a spaceship. She's like a timelord so she could have regenerated since then.

Then it occured to me this new Companion that's joining seems as energetic and like her, and the ship she was in in Episode 1 of the new seasons looks an awful lot like the ship she escaped in...

I hope it's her, would make for a good story line, if done correctly of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I've just been rewatching Doctor Who while leveling in GW2, and i just watched Season 4 Episode 6 'The Doctors Daughter'. I then realised that i haven't seen her since the end of the episode and flew off in a spaceship. She's like a timelord so she could have regenerated since then.

Then it occured to me this new Companion that's joining seems as energetic and like her, and the ship she was in in Episode 1 of the new seasons looks an awful lot like the ship she escaped in...

I hope it's her, would make for a good story line, if done correctly of course.
    I would love for that to happen! It felt like a let down when we never saw the daughter after that episode so it would be amazing for the new companion to be the daughter just regenerated.

Also, when the Daleks all forgot about the Doctor I was left thinking. I could not tell whether doing that was a great thing for the series or an epic mistake. We'll just have to see how it plays out I guess.
    Last edited by mmocaf5892d726; 2012-09-06 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be pretty cool , it would be interesting to have two timelords rocking about and they DID say that this companion was going to be unlike any that have proceeded her...

Also... is Matt Smith the 12th or 13th Doctor? I've lost count , Timelords only have 13 reincarnations, would be interesting if they ACTUALLY killed off The Doctor, but then continued the story with his Daughter taking over the lead.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also... is Matt Smith the 12th or 13th Doctor? I've lost count , Timelords only have 13 reincarnations, would be interesting if they ACTUALLY killed off The Doctor, but then continued the story with his Daughter taking over the lead.
    I'd stop watching if that happened

I watch Doctor Who for well, the Doctor!

10+ Year Old Account
    it would suck, I mean what is Doctor Who without the Doctor.... nothing.

but even if Matt Smith is the 12th Doc... there's still only one regeneraton left, after that they either put in some lame Retcon *oh yay my daughter gave me all her regens I have 12 more lives* or they let him die, at that point they can either end the show forever, which would suck, or carry on with someone else, which would be a BIT sucky, but not AS sucky as no more Dr Who

15+ Year Old Account
    Well true yeah i'd rather have someone else than nothing at all, but i'd still rather have some crappy story line enter like his daughter gives him all her regens xD Oh well i guess we'll see, i just hope it doesn't get butchered like what happened to Torchwood with the latest season.

but even if Matt Smith is the 12th Doc... there's still only one regeneraton left, after that they either put in some lame Retcon *oh yay my daughter gave me all her regens I have 12 more lives* or they let him die, at that point they can either end the show forever, which would suck, or carry on with someone else, which would be a BIT sucky, but not AS sucky as no more Dr Who
    cause timelords coming back after all their regenerations are spent is a new thing amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

uhh actually the 13 thing was like a law or something put on by the Time Lords. If I remember correctly there was an episode where the doctor said he had like thousands of regenerations....Or he could have been lying who knows with him /shrug.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Remember too that the Master found a way around the 13 regenerations "cap". Think he's on his 16th ot 17th now.

The 12 regeneration cap is NOT part of the Time Lord's biology, it was a law put in place by the time lords. The time lords are all dead, so that means nothing now.

The 11th doctor (Matt Smith) did say in the Sarah Jane Adventures episode that he has 507 regenerations left.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

[TV] Doctor Who

This show rocks. I like the show. Very very wonderfully executed series. I watch it online through Otavo.tv source.