Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    Maybe for Athiests there isn't a good reason but for the vast majority of the world who aren't, Marriage means a lot.
    What does marriage have to do with religion?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

1) get married
    2) receive greencard
    3) ???
    4) profit!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What does marriage have to do with religion?
    Marriage is a religious sacrament.

Quote Originally Posted by MewtwoC View Post
    Marriage is a religious sacrament.
    Actually it is not. And there is zero historical proof to associate Marriage with religion.

Marriage is a social construct. A natural extension of human pair bonding and biology in within an organized society.

The proof to this is the fact that monogamous life time pair bonding also occurs in non sentient animals, where such an association is beneficial to procreation.

Beyond this simple fact. It is a clear observation that Marriage by all intents is a legal contract where resources and responsabilities are assumed by two individuals. Also Marriage is a near universal social contract that often evolved very differently within different societies. In many societies (tribal) it doesn't even have a spiritual side or it is not really as bonding or as exclusive as within other cultures.

Historically speaking it has been commonly used as political tool to form blood based alliances betwen rival groups. Often it is not even consensual and has greater economic and political aspects then emotional or procreative.

Certain religious groups have very successfully convinced large swaths of the general public and especially their own followers that Marriage is a religious sacrament. It is not. At best one could argue that religious groups can give their blessings in the name of their believes or gods to a secular social contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Actually it is not.
    That seems like a pretty absurd assertion. There's no reason to believe sacramental, social, and secular marriage are mutually exclusive institutions. For me, it's purely a contract, but that's not the case for others.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know getting married has nothing to do with love.

Being married is create a legal partnership with a person, 100% related to your (both) money and assets.
    To be honest, If I ever marry it will be because she wants or because we want to start taking advantage of the system with it (that's it's purpose anyways).

I won't be loving my gf more because we are married or not, that's bullshit :P

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    As far as I know getting married has nothing to do with love.

Being married is create a legal partnership with a person, 100% related to your (both) money and assets.
    To be honest, If I ever marry it will be because she wants or because we want to start taking advantage of the system with it (that's it's purpose anyways).

I won't be loving my gf more because we are married or not, that's bullshit :P
    So promising to love somebody for the rest of your life has nothing to do with love?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dydric View Post
    no good reason to get married these days! Can anyone think of a good point of getting married!
    Pshhh this is an easy one. Never heard of tax dodging?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That seems like a pretty absurd assertion. There's no reason to believe sacramental, social, and secular marriage are mutually exclusive institutions. For me, it's purely a contract, but that's not the case for others.
    If you were to actually read everything I said you would see that they are not mutually exclusive. BUT and this is a big BUT the names of the things are very very important sometimes. If you are willing to make the assertion that Marriage is a religous sacrament, then by extension you must also accept that the legal nature of a secular marriage is not the same. If it's not the same then by extension it does not enjoy the same benefits. You open all kinds of doors for all kinds of debates about names of things, their legal nature etc.

Marriage being a non religious social contract is actually not an absurd assertion. If you are willing to consult ANY legal dictionary you will notice that Marriage by very definition is a civil contract.

As I said before. I'm alright with having religions trough their sacraments give their blessing (endorsement) to the legal contract of Marriage. But MARRIAGE IS NOT A RELIGIOUS SACRAMENT!

If you were to actually read everything I said you would see that they are not mutually exclusive. BUT and this is a big BUT the names of the things are very very important sometimes. If you are willing to make the assertion that Marriage is a religous sacrament, then by extension you must also accept that the legal nature of a secular marriage is not the same. If it's not the same then by extension it does not enjoy the same benefits. You open all kinds of doors for all kinds of debates about names of things, their legal nature etc.

Marriage being a non religious social contract is actually not an absurd assertion. If you are willing to consult ANY legal dictionary you will notice that Marriage by very definition is a civil contract.

As I said before. I'm alright with having religions trough their sacraments give their blessing (endorsement) to the legal contract of Marriage. But MARRIAGE IS NOT A RELIGIOUS SACRAMENT!
    I read the whole thing the first time, but in both cases, the punchline is simply wrong. This claim:

MARRIAGE IS NOT A RELIGIOUS SACRAMENT!
    That's just flatly contradicted by the part where it is a sacrament. It's other things as well.

You should get married because you want to. No other reason.

Deleted
    MARRIAGE IS NOT A RELIGIOUS SACRAMENT!
    You know I was doing some research and I found this:
    ''Up to the time of Christ, marriage, although a sacred union, was still only a civil contract between a man and a woman.

Jesus, however, took this contract, this exchange of marital consent between man and woman, and made the contract a conveyor of grace. He made marriage a sacrament, the sacrament of Matrimony among Christians.

Matrimony is defined as "the sacrament by which a baptized man and a baptized woman bind themselves for life in a lawful marriage and receive the grace to discharge their duties."

It is not hard to understand why Jesus made marriage a sacrament—the sacrament of Matrimony.''

So i guess you were right in that marriage was primarily a social contract but it became a religious sacrament and that's what it is now, if you only see it as a social contract that's ok but it is also a sacrament. By the way I'm not religious and as i said in my first post I don't see the point in marriage but that doesn't change what it is.

''Up to the time of Christ, marriage, although a sacred union, was still only a civil contract between a man and a woman.

Jesus, however, took this contract, this exchange of marital consent between man and woman, and made the contract a conveyor of grace. He made marriage a sacrament, the sacrament of Matrimony among Christians.

Matrimony is defined as "the sacrament by which a baptized man and a baptized woman bind themselves for life in a lawful marriage and receive the grace to discharge their duties."

It is not hard to understand why Jesus made marriage a sacrament—the sacrament of Matrimony.''

So i guess you were right in that marriage was primarily a social contract but it became a religious sacrament and that's what it is now, if you only see it as a social contract that's ok but it is also a sacrament. By the way I'm not religious and as i said in my first post I don't see the point in marriage but that doesn't change what it is.
    In threads such as these the difference between marriage and matrimony should be separated and talked about as different things.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I used to say the exact same thing. I practically swore it on a Bible.

Then I met my wife. Everything changes when you're really in love. Seriously...everything. We have 2 boys and things are amazing. It's a lot different living it than it is looking at it.
    Im not going to rant about why i dont like kids, because most people would think me insane. But i really cant stand them. Lets end it at that.

And as for the marriage part. I have had many relationship, most of them didnt last more than 6months, and i never felt anything for these women, sure we had some fun, but there was no "love" there.
    Then i met someone who was amazing, she was everything i could ever want in a woman, i could be 100% me and we had a great time. I loved her, as in true love. We moved in together, we still had it great. We lived together for around 1.5years/2years, but the problem was that i slowly started to llost interest in her, as in sexually attraction.. I still felt like she was my best friend, i liked her, but no more than a friend.. And ontop of that we started to fight alot, she became "jealous" by everything, i couldnt even speak to other women without her crying and pulling me away to "talk" all the time. (And she had no reason to be jealous at that time.) I have no idea why she started to act that way. Anyway, it ended because i slept with someone else, she wanted to try anyway, but i (the selfish jerk mhm) had nothing for her.. We are still good friends today tho. Long story short-> I loved her alot>after 2years i stopped being attracted to her, but still my head liked her>It ended
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey OP, you'll change your tune when your old, decrepit, sick and needing someone to give a shit about you. By the time you need help, your mother will be dead and no one else on the planet will care for you with love like a mother or a good wife. Get ready to end up dying in some smelly nursing home where the immigrant workers may or may not change your soiled diapers once a day. Maybe you should stop thinking about all the pussy you're getting today and start worrying about a future where you're all alone and bitter and people just want you to hurry up and die...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    In threads such as these the difference between marriage and matrimony should be separated and talked about as different things.
    But it's the same thing, it's just that no one cares about religion these days.

Its not the same thing. Atheists get married all the time.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    There isn't a good reason to get married. The problem is that most people won't agree with you, so you're likely to be lonely in the end, even if you're right. But that's a good reason, I guess...

You are just going out there and fully assuming that 1, Jesus Christ holds some sort of legal authority. 2 that everyone is Christian, 3 that everyone has some sort of religious belief. In all 3 cases you are wrong. Again it doesn't matter how much religious groups and religous folk want to assume that Marriage is a religious institution, it is not. You can make it a religious institution in your personal case, but it does not apply to others. Facts disagree with fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying you and a bone are the same thing. Christian matrimony is one type of marriage, there are many others, like, the married because you want certain "rights" before the law. Yes, religious marriage is there, but only as a part of what marriage is.

Marriage is mostly defined by personal believes and interpretation. (The only part where marriage is defined by more than that is before the law, and you wont find religion in there, well, atleast not directly -.- )