Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Cheating on an online test

I accept full responsibility if or when I get caught. But my question is how can they prove I did. I took the test on a site called blackboard(http://www.blackboard.com/) . It was not taken on a lockdown browser. I did however have the answers to the test in an email that was open while I was taking the test. Can they really see what websites/ windows were open?

My stupidity was beyond me, if I don't get caught ill tell on myself it wasnt fair to other students.

haha who cares, pretty sure everybody does it.

Deleted
    Whut?

If you don't get caught you are fine. Cheat to win my little friend, cheat to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    99% certain that they cannot catch you via blackboard alone. They probably would not violate your privacy like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    I accept full responsibility if or when I get caught. But my question is how can they prove I did. I took the test on a site called blackboard(http://www.blackboard.com/) . It was not taken on a lockdown browser. I did however have the answers to the test in an email that was open while I was taking the test. Can they really see what websites/ windows were open?

My stupidity was beyond me, if I don't get caught ill tell on myself it wasnt fair to other students.

Yeah right, if you had that much of a conscience you would not have cheated in the first place.

I don't think it's legal for them to look at contents from a private email while you take a test...

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    They have their ways. The question is this though; would you tell a future employer that you've taken that course/subject and know its contents? It is up to you in the end.

Can they really see what websites/ windows were open?
    I highly doubt your school's blackboard can see the contents of any tabs or windows open within a given users' browser.

That said, don't cheat. Nobody likes blackboard online tests, but getting in the habit of cheating is gonna make things rough in instances where it's simply not possible. Best get in the habit of not cheating early.

I use blackboard for my school.

Blackboard won't know. Blackboard is really stupid. You won't get caught.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

I use blackboards for my exams as well and our professor lets us use the internet or whatever.

If you are in the classroom using the schools computer and your professor doesn't allow you to use the internet then yes they can see if you are cheating or not. The professors have a program on their computer that allows them to see on their screen what the students are looking at their screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I use blackboards for my exams as well and our professor lets us use the internet or whatever.

If you are in the classroom using the schools computer and your professor doesn't allow you to use the internet then yes they can see if you are cheating or not. The professors have a program on their computer that allows them to see on their screen what the students are looking at their screen.
    Oh this guy Ave is right.

I was assuming you took the test from your personal labtop.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    You can tell when people are cheating on a test when you type it in Google not even halfway and the whole question, word for word, comes up in the recommended bar.

Honestly, people who cheat is on them. Would you want a doctor who cheated his way to success operate on you? That's how I look at it.
    Definitely not. At the same time, I'm forced to take a handful of classes that will have literally zero importance on what I plan on doing. I don't cheat on those, because a) I don't need to, b) I would feel guilty, and c) they aren't online. I don't see why it would be so awful to take the easy way out on classes that are doing but wasting your time and money, but that's just my $.02.

Deleted
    test at home or at school on a school computer?

because at school all our computers had this program on where the teacher could pull up anyone sscreen instantly to see what they are seeing, so if you did it in school they might be able to see, at home they cannot

Can they really see what websites/ windows were open?
    No, I don't think so. Most online tests have time limits so you have to have some actual knowledge of the exam subject material beforehand, most professors who accept online quizzes/tests will tell you point blank that they really have no way of knowing if you look at other materials or not. Most of my online quizzes were open book/open note, but with a strict time limit, so if you didn't actually read the material you were kindof screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to take a psychology class to meet a general education requirement for college. It was a 50% online 50% in class hybrid course. We took every test / exam / and chapter quiz online. Our professor lied to us and said that if we ever minimized the pop out browser then it would close the quiz and give us a 0, which it actually didn't. I cheated on every single one of them lol.

If you don't get caught then don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Oh this guy Ave is right.

I was assuming you took the test from your personal labtop.
    Oh yeah, me too.

Yes, there are programs for tracking what students are looking at during exams. Your personal laptop is safe though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine this is some 100 level class online or something, where the professor is getting paid $1000 a year to provide the course. I don't think any higher level classes use Blackboard, or something as simply as that for testing purposes. You won't find 'a doctor' who 'cheated' his way to a PhD using blackboard tests
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I've taken numerous tests on Blackboard on my personal computer, and I cheated on nearly all of my math tests. I'm horrible at math and it wasn't required for my field even though the college required me to take the class. They never found out about it, and I passed the class with an A. Should I ever NEED the information in real life, I'll teach it to myself at that time. But I doubt it.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

My college used to use blackboard. They stopped about halfway through my time there. Blackboard won't catch you, and your professor probably won't either. The professors know you'll cheat, and the ones that did give us the online tests suggested we work in groups and use "every resource possible". They were usually given this way when, due to the class going off schedule, tests/exams were going to coincide with other big projects like mock trials and presentations. Or in classes where the professor was made to give more exams than midterm and final, but didn't like doing it.

It amazed me that some people were too lazy to "cheat" and ended up failing the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    You can tell when people are cheating on a test when you type it in Google not even halfway and the whole question, word for word, comes up in the recommended bar.

Honestly, people who cheat is on them. Would you want a doctor who cheated his way to success operate on you? That's how I look at it.
    If a doctor is taking a test related to the medical field on blackboard there's a problem with the institution and not the student hahaha

I'm forced to take classes based on the 'well-rounded' educational doctrine which has nothing to do with practicality and everything to do with an outdated Renaissance man ideal. So, If I have to take music history and intro to philosophy you bet I'm going to spend the least amount of time and energy possible to get an A. Believe me, listening to a lecture about the pre-socratics is about as edifying as watching paint dry and has nothing to do with my chosen profession or even with being a well-rounded individual.