View Poll Results: If WoW had never changed, would you still be playing?

Voters
512. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I loved it back then

159 31.05%
  • No - The QoL changes were important

305 59.57%
  • Other / Don't Care (explain below)

48 9.38%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    pure 100% speculation.
    No, it isnt at all, the game has changed for the better, if offered $10,000 I wouldnt play through vanilla again, it was awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    n
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    If NOTHING had changed everyone would have quit years ago out of boredom despite what they might say.
    Most of the game hasn't changed, raids got more complicated. But the rest of it stayed the same. In fact they made it more boring, because it is much easier to burn out than it used to.

I can get 10000 gems in a half hour with ghost iron. I dont need to get soul shards, so instead I run around in circles in shrine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    No, it isnt at all, the game has changed for the better, if offered $10,000 I wouldnt play through vanilla again, it was awful.
    but some aspects have gotten worse. the world (of warcraft) is not so black and white

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    These are prime examples of the improvements made. I think people jumped for joy when TBC showed up and balanced out the class types. As for the quests, my Pally and Druid suffered through those, and it took FOREVER, especially on the aquatic form quest.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Aquatic_Form_quest_chain
    I will continue to missunderstand why you play this game at all. It really confuses me, you "suffered" through the paladin quest? Really? the warlock quest is to this day the most fun I have ever had. the paladin one seemed fun, and the aquatic form was a load of fun to do. Because it took an iota of effort.

I dont think you like any challenge at all, I do wonder why. I think challenge is fun in games.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulminia View Post
    80% of players would still be lvling to 90
    So true. Without any perks, BoAs, potions, or nerfed mobs/XP, it would take MONTHS for people to level, not hours.

Probably not. Bet I'd have gotten bored much faster.

I would like transmog.
    I would like dual spec
    I like that warlocks got fixed on their shard issue
    You missed paladin blessings on 5 minutes. I like it that paladins do not have a buffing issue.

The thing is Superman. The old bugs and inbalances are not good and never were. No one who played Vanilla wants those issues back NOT ONE.

We do however want:
    1. meaningful dungeons
    2. Policing our own server again where we know people on that server without them being on some sort of friendslist
    3. slightly harder and meaningful levelingzones
    4. a sense of danger in the world
    5. that guilds once again be important, without the stupid level 25
    6. have people fly to the entrance after making a group THROUGH the LFX tool (not spamming in trade)

Stuff like that. Thats what Vanilla people like me want back.

I would enjoy it, but I wouldn't play because my life has changed and I do not have time to do 4 hours UBRS type runs for a chance at one piece of my blue set. For me, the game has evolved with my life allowing me to keep playing while also advancing in my real life responsibilities.

Deleted
    Well I play a Warrior so I'd probably be a tank as Fury was non-existant in Vanilla raiding for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I will continue to missunderstand why you play this game at all. It really confuses me, you "suffered" through the paladin quest? Really? the warlock quest is to this day the most fun I have ever had. the paladin one seemed fun, and the aquatic form was a load of fun to do. Because it took an iota of effort.

I dont think you like any challenge at all, I do wonder why. I think challenge is fun in games.
    I've had enough challenges in my real life to last 3 lifetimes. I play a video game to relax, not to work harder. I like puzzles, not long boring quests. Like Sunken Temple. I was so mad when they changed that. Half the fun was remembering the order in which the statues had to be activated, and killing our way down the hall to each new room. It went from being a 90 minute dungeon for 5 people to a 20 minute dungeon with 2 people AFK. When I play, I want enjoyment, and I like to figure things out. I don't consider extreme challenges to be a hoot. Like dino isle. I went long enough to collect pets and drop the boss once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by militaryspartan View Post
    Okay guys, just don't stand in the fire. Seriously, that's the only mechanic.........god dammit why did 15 ppl stand in the fire at once?
    Someone only encountered 1 raid boss in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much I know people miss 'those' days, I cannot help but to chuckle.

For many goes, 'If it hadn't changed' or 'Shouldn't have changed', but this is where I don't 100% believe people. For people wish for updates as well. Do not think World of Warcraft would go well on the market if we were still to be stuck in the old. Products need updates, for else it will still crumble. If the updates aren't good enough, then sadly this happens too. But would happen no matter what.

I like some of the things on the list, and hate a good amount of others (for one, I loooove transmogs).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    I would like transmog.
    I would like dual spec
    I like that warlocks got fixed on their shard issue
    You missed paladin blessings on 5 minutes. I like it that paladins do not have a buffing issue.

The thing is Superman. The old bugs and inbalances are not good and never were. No one who played Vanilla wants those issues back NOT ONE.

We do however want:
    1. meaningful dungeons
    2. Policing our own server again where we know people on that server without them being on some sort of friendslist
    3. slightly harder and meaningful levelingzones
    4. a sense of danger in the world
    5. that guilds once again be important, without the stupid level 25
    6. have people fly to the entrance after making a group THROUGH the LFX tool (not spamming in trade)

Stuff like that. Thats what Vanilla people like me want back.
    I highlighted the items I would not care for. Two things I miss that were great QoL changes that were fixed/removed:

1. Have Group, Will Travel

2. All Flight Paths are given up front

In a world loaded with magic, and portals, travel should be fast. Also, me finding the FP does NOT teach the bird how to fly there. He already knows where he is going, so locked FPs waiting to be "discovered" is horeshit.

Paladin + Shaman staying faction exclusive - As an alliance Shaman I would not want this to have remained in the game

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had enough challenges in my real life to last 3 lifetimes. I play a video game to relax, not to work harder. I like puzzles, not long boring quests. Like Sunken Temple. I was so mad when they changed that. Half the fun was remembering the order in which the statues had to be activated, and killing our way down the hall to each new room. It went from being a 90 minute dungeon for 5 people to a 20 minute dungeon with 2 people AFK. When I play, I want enjoyment, and I like to figure things out. I don't consider extreme challenges to be a hoot. Like dino isle. I went long enough to collect pets and drop the boss once or twice.
    See, you continue to describe a game that isnt an MMORPG. this is what confuses me. you have fun in a 20 min dungeon that can be soloed a patch later?

- - - Updated - - -

I highlighted the items I would not care for. Two things I miss that were great QoL changes that were fixed/removed:

1. Have Group, Will Travel

2. All Flight Paths are given up front

In a world loaded with magic, and portals, travel should be fast. Also, me finding the FP does NOT teach the bird how to fly there. He already knows where he is going, so locked FPs waiting to be "discovered" is horeshit.
    In TBC my friendslist was full of people I met shouting for groups in trade. For a person who wasnt an asshole, finding a group was as easy as asking people you knew.

It is so hard to find friends anymore when LFD is cross server. I would prefer a LFD that was just server.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooxi View Post
    and I disagree. They are what kill the community.

The private TBC server I play on is 100 times better then retail because there is no LFG or Looking for Retard on it. You actually have to communicate with the people around you and interact as opposed to clicking buttons all day on retail.

Warning: Just to make it clear, advertisement, discussion or referal to private servers is against the guidelines.
    The players killed the community.
    Look at what drove the need for LFR - inflated requirements, over-reliance on gearscore/item level and achievements which can only be earned in the content which you trying to pug, a catch 22.
    Flex being touted as some superior form of raiding to LFR, yet the popularity of oQueue shows that Flex works best when you remove half of what made it different from LFR.
    World PvP declining with players saying it needs rewards, when it developed originally without any. Simply because it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    See, you continue to describe a game that isnt an MMORPG. this is what confuses me. you have fun in a 20 min dungeon that can be soloed a patch later?
    I can see why you are confused, since that is not even CLOSE to what I said. I said.... I like the dungeon with the puzzle. Sadly, that puzzle is GONE and now that dungeon sucks. I've never step foot into a Challenge Mode because I am not competitive. I am more about the RPG aspect which is the fantasy world, and not the crap-tastic overtuned mechanics which require me to work in close proximity to 24 other people. I am content with LFR. I like flying mounts, pet battles, exploration, and RP. I despise PvP and overtuned mechanics. Give me a puzzle dungeon any day like Gun Drak or the OLD Sunken Temple.

List of things I don't miss from Vanilla:

-Lack of dual spec

-Respeccing being too expensive at the time to reasonably do a lot

-No repeatable quests or reasonable way to make money besides grinding elementals forever

-LFG spamming in town, sometimes for upwards of an hour

-having to hike to the instance after finally assembling a group (SM hike as alliance, fun...)

-class stacking in raids

-certain specs being hilariously useless at endgame

-vanilla era quests which consisted of way more kill 10 monsters, stupid "talk to NPC x" messages across many zones, and zone instancing to make it feel like your actions had an impact didn't exist

-labyrinthine 3+ hour instances

-vanilla era models or art design. I'm listing that here because many MMOs from that era have done little to no graphic overhauls and dear god does it show.

Most of my biggest gripes were fixed by BC so if the game was frozen in a time portal from that era, I wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumu View Post
    List of things I don't miss from Vanilla:

-LFG spamming in town, sometimes for upwards of an hour

-having to hike to the instance after finally assembling a group (SM hike as alliance, fun...)

-class stacking in raids

-certain specs being hilariously useless at endgame
    Those four were just awful.

Cant even tell you how many times I got ganked at the SM Summon Stone :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand the people who support that list.

Those things didn't make the game fun or challenging; they made the game tedious and dull.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I'm okay with reagents and mount quests, but being unable to do dailies as a healer without respeccing was plain retarded. I still shudder when I remember grinding QD dailies as holy.

Also, the spec disbalance was absolutely horrendous. ShamanWell Plateau still gives me nightmares because of that. And M'uru tries cancelled because ONE damn guy out of 25 didn't show up and you have no one to replace him with. So screw that.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Yes! I personally really enjoyed the depth of the old WoW and feel that how it is now detracts from the overall experience.