Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Am I overestimating how vengeful people are?

Five to four years ago, when I was a teenager, I had a lot of stereotypical negative traits including a foul temper, severe emotional issues, and was in a rebellious phase. Like a lot of people I've talked to since then, I made a mistake of making Warcraft (or rather, Blizzard games) my identity and only felt alive when playing. Naturally my bad personality translated into the social aspects of the game, and, while it did not cause enough trouble to get me banned or even close to it, I was hugely disliked across my server and seen as a pest. After years of absence, I return to WoW as an adult with a radically different mindset and personality simply because I grew up and dealt with all the hardships since. I deeply regret and question how I acted as a teen in the game when a lot could have gone differently if I was as I am now, but there's no changing what was done then.

Despite my assumptions and coming back to the game with the same name and passing by a few people that knew and disliked me, no one seems to care. I haven't been bothered at all and make new friends with how I am now, but I am still anxious people might have vendettas even though nothing has come of it.

Online life sustains and amplifies toxic personalities.

Perverts have their pools, power hungry know-it-alls have their web forums, SJWs have their social media, and people without any real life accomplishments have online gaming.

Online gaming, specifically the pvp side, caters heavily to the types of person who has by normal measure failed as a person.

Creating the illusion that a "victory" in a video game is the result of personal input is an addictive thing and persons such as these failures are heavily attracted to that.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Until you actually find someone who's vengeful, assume they're not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll kill you for overestimating that!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you're a little disappointed that nobody disliked you enough to care.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

Perverts have their pools, power hungry know-it-alls have their web forums, SJWs have their social media, and people without any real life accomplishments have online gaming.

Online gaming, specifically the pvp side, caters heavily to the types of person who has by normal measure failed as a person.

Creating the illusion that a "victory" in a video game is the result of personal input is an addictive thing and persons such as these failures are heavily attracted to that.
    Woah Freud, those are some steep over-generalizations there...

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post

This is actually really interesting, thank you! I will remember this for my article on my time with another PVP game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tsu, from what I can read, you're completely acting normal.

Yes, you're overestimating others reaction. It's been several years - you remember these people because you got into a fight with a lot of them. They probably barely remember you or if they do, they're probably not remembering everything in detail. After four year, you kind of have a second chance with at least some of them.

As you've said, someone can grow a lot in four years. I'm not saying that the you then and the you now are two different entities, but you've certainly grown enough to make this post.

I'd also say you have some anxiety that affect your perception, because you feel guilty about what you did, which also mean that you have a fear of rejection because of it. What I mean is that these people back then, you've been an ass to them, you've been what several people could call toxic and you know it. So even though you matured, you fear that they'll close the door on principle of what you did back then even before you'll be able to show them you're not the same person.

So in any case, if you do nothing, you'll never know. If you're kind and respectful, I don't see why it could go wrong. Even if it does, this might just mean that maybe they're the ones that haven't matured enough. You know you had issues so in my book that's a win anyway.

Good luck!

i think you're overestimating your "impact" and peoples memory of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Five to four years ago, when I was a teenager, I had a lot of stereotypical negative traits including a foul temper, severe emotional issues, and was in a rebellious phase. Like a lot of people I've talked to since then, I made a mistake of making Warcraft (or rather, Blizzard games) my identity and only felt alive when playing. Naturally my bad personality translated into the social aspects of the game, and, while it did not cause enough trouble to get me banned or even close to it, I was hugely disliked across my server and seen as a pest. After years of absence, I return to WoW as an adult with a radically different mindset and personality simply because I grew up and dealt with all the hardships since. I deeply regret and question how I acted as a teen in the game when a lot could have gone differently if I was as I am now, but there's no changing what was done then.

Despite my assumptions and coming back to the game with the same name and passing by a few people that knew and disliked me, no one seems to care. I haven't been bothered at all and make new friends with how I am now, but I am still anxious people might have vendettas even though nothing has come of it.
    Dude if they can't forgive you for being a dick, it's their problem. You are the one that want's to move on so just do it.

I grew up in a small town. If someone had never met me but they knew my dad, they would assume I was exactly like him. Or I was exactly like my uncle, or grandpa, etc.

Pretty hard to shake a rep.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

thinking youre important is a stereotypical flaw of being teenaged that you seem to of not grown out of

do you remember the 13th person to say lol i troll u in trade chat on any given day?

then why do you assume that other people will remember you?

7+ Year Old Account
    I may not remember every trolling attempt, but I do and always will remember people who I felt distinctly wronged me in my life.

This can apply online and in RL.

You got lucky with your situation.

Personally those people that wronged me? If not by my hand, I hope somebody else gives them what they have coming.

If it really bothers you or if it's constantly in the back of your head poking at you, you could always change the name of your main, or even switch servers? When it comes to personal spite against someone, I doubt people have been scanning and waiting for your return to seek vengeance especially when it's from a massive multiplayer online game. And if someone does, they definitely have their own issues.

"If you aren't in the moment, you're either looking forward to uncertainty or back at pain and regret." - Jim Carrey

It sounds like you're overestimating your renown.

Only one or two douchebag people from my WoW time were worth remembering their name. No one really cares. I remember a lot of nice people though.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2015-11-10 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I can give you a very simple answer. Yes. You are. Unless they're a great deal younger than you, most people are grown up enough to recognize that no one liked how they were as a teenager and that goes the same for mostly everyone you meet unless they are extremely egotistical and out of touch, and people change all the time. After a period of say 2-5 years, it's maybe time to give someone another shot.

So relax, if you've grown, people are going to recognize it. And online? Most people let things go even faster, since there's always a plethora of fresh trolls and douchebags to replenish the ones of yesteryear.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I don't even remember the names of shitheads I've encountered in WoW some are on ignore, but I don't remember what they did.

People are vengful (I know I am), but I would assume people are little more relaxed if they see someone posting stupid shit in trade while playing the AH.

Some can be extremely aggressive in the game - this I have experienced - but I don't believe people remember character names for a long time.

Lastly, I think you might be overestimating your impact on individuals - "people are too concerned about themselves to worry about others". So if you suddenly started to bleed noseblood on the bus, it would soon be forgotten by everyone even if you remembered the embarrassment till your dying day, because, guess what? You're not important to them (and neither am I!)

The reality is that people are stupid and shitty, and their shittiness has been reinforced over and over because we can almost never hold anyone accountable.

You were an immature teenager; nobody cares or remembers now. People just suck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It sounds like you're a little disappointed that nobody disliked you enough to care.
    Just what I was thinking