Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    What did he do for the gaming community?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TotalB...sumer_advocacy

Admittedly, it's all about whether you care enough or think he did anything worthwhile.

What did he do for the gaming community?
    huh? check his youtube channel you can find more info there, he was one of the bigger consumer advocates for gamers bud

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TotalB...sumer_advocacy

Admittedly, it's all about whether you care enough or think he did anything worthwhile.
    Nothing changed though......so nothing was gained....He tried, along with MANY other people, many of whom worked in the background. He was the face of a movement, and that is all. Good on him for having a crack, and i dont hold anything against him, but nothing changed, and ppl like Angry Joe are still fighting the fight, and always have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    huh? check his youtube channel you can find more info there, he was one of the bigger consumer advocates for gamers bud
    I like the little patronizing addition of the word "bud" without actually providing anything meaningful other than "look it up yourself". Im aware of the situation, and unlike you apparently, Im aware of the outcome. He didnt do it for the greater good, the gaming community - he did it to protect his livelihood, and i would have done the same, as many others have - the difference is, most of them are honst enough to say "this will ruin my livelihood, so i need to defend it"

Nothing changed though......so nothing was gained....He tried, along with MANY other people, many of whom worked in the background. He was the face of a movement, and that is all. Good on him for having a crack, and i dont hold anything against him, but nothing changed, and ppl like Angry Joe are still fighting the fight, and always have.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the little patronizing addition of the word "bud" without actually providing anything meaningful other than "look it up yourself". Im aware of the situation, and unlike you apparently, Im aware of the outcome. He didnt do it for the greater good, the gaming community - he did it to protect his livelihood, and i would have done the same, as many others have - the difference is, most of them are honst enough to say "this will ruin my livelihood, so i need to defend it"
    Nothing patronizing BUD, he was one of the bigger consumer advocates for gamers and that's a fact, the reason why he did it it's fucking irrelevant, he did it and that's whats important whatever you like it or not

Calfredd post you a damn link with his wiki, what did you expect me to do more?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I would say WoD had the best raids, that or Legion.
    Still plagued by half a dozen different versions / modes. Every raid should have a basic version with build in hard modes you can activate if you want (Ulduar). That's about it. There shouldn't be LFR - Normal - HM - Mythic. That's why everything past 4.3 sucked in that regard. Having Normal and Heroic would be okay too. But four difficulties? Absolutely horrendous idea that slowly destroyed the raiding scene in this game.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    He was as flawed as anyone of us, but he entertained and inspired a lot of people. I remember back in Cata I always couldn't wait for the new episode of Azeroth Daily.

The WoW devs embarrassed themselves greatly when they didn't acknowledge his contributions to the WoW community last year after his passing. These idiot cucks..

RIP TB, might you find peace in heaven.
    They didn't emnbarrass themselves at all. You are just mad they didn't mention your favorite streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by steristumpie View Post
    Never forget when a GW2 piece of shit developer said this about his passing:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status...707073026?s=20

RIP TB
    Didn’t always agree with his politics, but he was a passionate gamer and a respectable human being.
    Jessica Price what a fucking bitch.

Yeah miss the WTF is serie.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-05-28 at 09:21 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    He was as flawed as anyone of us, but he entertained and inspired a lot of people. I remember back in Cata I always couldn't wait for the new episode of Azeroth Daily.

The WoW devs embarrassed themselves greatly when they didn't acknowledge his contributions to the WoW community last year after his passing. These idiot cucks..

RIP TB, might you find peace in heaven.
    They frequently ignore or overlook the impact that some streamers and youtubers have for the game. Preach is a good example for years he was the most watched WoW youtuber. Like him or hate him he has done dozens of videos helping people get ready for content and learn each spec in the game. This year was the first time that Blizzard had reached out to him for anything. TB was an interesting guy, first time I saw him was him on the Cata beta singing it's praises and loving it like crazy. Not too long after that I saw him again saying he was quitting WoW. Those extremes certainly jaded my view of him.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think most players would say TBC was the golden age of raiding.
    You really shouldn't speak for everyone or even a majority of players. You can only speak of your opinion on raiding, not others.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

He probably wouldn't be too happy with the game's current direction either. If he wasn't the game's target audience back then he certainly wouldn't be now.

I do miss Azeroth Daily, though.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2019-05-28 at 10:14 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

It's been a year since he passed away, and I wanted to go back and re-watch his last WoW video. Turns out he was pretty right on what direction they were heading at this time.

On Dungeons:

• Blizzard started nerfing things at the end of Wrath to make the game more accessible. Most dungeons were just AOE fests between the nerfs and gear inflation from all of the difficulty tiers.
    • They started Cataclysm out great for most players who were used to the "harder" stuff. And let's be clear, it wasn't hard. It was just making sure you weren't brain dead and going to AOE spamming dungeon packs. You had to use your CCs tactically and communicate with the group. Wrath with LFD and accessibility changed the whole dynamic of what a dungeon was.
    • It's possible some on the WoW team saw making the game faceroll was a mistake, and the lead WoW designer at the time Ghostcrawler came out with a blog post about the Cata dungeons like "yeah they are hard" you can't just walk in and spam stuff and ignore game mechanics.
    • But the playerbase was essentially trained during Wrath to want easy dungeon gameplay, hence hte origin of "Wrath baby". And WoW started losing subscribers.
    • Blizzard makes a 180, nerfs the fuck out of everything, and makes dungeon gameplay shallow.
    This is the very definition of a half-truth. The bit about the change-over from Wrath to Cata is true, but it was a mistakes, because Blizzard forgot one thing - to make any of the Cata dungeons actually fun. People wouldn't have minded how finickity and fiddly they were if they were actually fun, or really well-themed or cool. They weren't, and revisiting them now quickly reminds one of that.

So that was a bigger problem than anything else with Cata's dungeons. The nerf made how un-fun they were actually more obvious. Prior to the nerf, people could pretend that they were actually hard and this was off-putting to people. Post-nerf, it was obvious that they were just tedious, stupid, and not-very-well-designed dungeons in general, and many of the mechanics were still very finickity.

It's fair to say Wrath became a bit face-roll-y, but the fact is - the dungeons were fun. Denying that is just ridiculous. And this is the whole fuck-up with Cata in a nutshell. Mechanics changes effectively provided "covering fire" for what was outright bad design in many cases.

Further, TB is wrong to see a trend - he was something of a noob when Cata came out. I remember watching his videos and thinking "Wow, it's like if I was a bit clueless and had a somewhat different accent and was making slightly over-the-top videos!". I quite liked them because of that. His naivete was charming. As someone who played MMOs since 1999, and WoW since open beta, I saw the trend differently.

TBC tried to one-up Vanilla in dungeon difficulty, particularly with heroics, but even non-Heroic SLabs was far more demanding than anything in 1.12, and people didn't enjoy dungeons much - they saw them as chores - I did enjoy them, but only because I was ridiculously better at them than most people, was playing a tank, and had a healer-friend playing with me for most of the expansion.

Wrath dialled it back a lot, and hit a very nice groove, dungeon-wise. You sneer about "faceroll", but that wasn't really true until people were outgearing them. Until then you could not ignore mechanics in a Heroic and expect to do well - or even live.

Cata's dungeon design was just tedious and un-fun. I totally agree with you that it wasn't hard. It wasn't even slightly harder. You just had to systematize thing. Mark mark mark cast go. Mark mark mark cast go. Mark mark mark cast go. etc. The bosses were tedious, the packs were tedious, the events were tedious. Everything was fiddly and involved knowing what were often frankly stupid-seeming mechanics, or really incredibly badly designed ones (like pulling that dude through the lava - I was good at it - but there were elements of luck there, wildly excessive ones).

MoP dialled it back again, but much more importantly, even as someone who didn't love MoP's aesthetic, MoP's dungeons were actually fun and had a sense of fun to go along with the gameplay. They were relatively well-judged, and together with some good class design, made for some fun play.

Then WoD tried to turn up the heat again, but again largely just succeeding making mildly annoying dungeons. Still it was nowhere near Cata levels of annoyance. Dubious class changes didn't help, though.

Legion dialled it back, and made the dungeons more fun and more about playing fast and trying stuff, and added M+. It was amazing, frankly.

BfA's dungeons are solid, but again suffer from the bug of "let's make them more complicated and fiddly, with more pointless and annoying mechanics!". Nothing that's truly challenging or engaging, just stuff to be irritated by. They're also rather lacking in fun. WoW dungeons should have some theatricality, something I feel like BfA's ones rather lack.

So it's more like there's always been this swing in design in WoW. Trying to say it's all been increasingly faceroll since Cata is obviously bollocks of the most bulbous and hairy kind.

On Raiding:

• I think most players would say TBC was the golden age of raiding. What was the main difference between then and now? There was one version of a raid. You either did it or you didn't.
    • No massive gear item level inflation because there wasn't 4 versions of every raid.
    • The addition of upgraded badge vendors allowed even the most casual players just doing weekly Karazhan runs to fill a few slots with high end gear. But you couldn't fill every slot.
    • Black Temple was Black Temple. Karazhan was Karazhan. Progression was more interesting becuase it wasn't Karazhan difficulty 1 > Karazhan difficulty 2 > Karazhan difficulty 3. It was Karazhan > maybe TK void reaver > SSC / TK / ZA > BT > Sunwell.
    Most players? Fuck no. Not ones who actually played TBC. I'm an old fogey and most players I know joined long after TBC or so late in TBC that they didn't actually raid, so have no fucking idea what they were actually like. If we take players who were actually playing in TBC, I think we will find very few regard it as a "golden age" without rose-tinted spectacles. The sheer annoyance and pain that Kara caused to guilds by being a 10-man was huge and people like to forget it. Plus the vast majority of players who talk about the Sunwell never even went there! Let alone downed it. It's like Woodstock, in a sense - about 100x as many people claim to have finished Sunwell as actually did, maybe more.

I get what you're saying re: raids actually being themselves, rather than just tiers, and I liked that, but they were not particularly well-designed or fun or engaging or loreful. Legion's raids were far better from pretty much all those perspectives. So I guess if all you care about is loot feeling more significant, and the atmosphere of the raid, then TBC could do well (though Naxx, Ulduar and ICC all spanked the TBC raids on atmosphere). First though? Not without rose-tinting OR very specific, probably niche tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    That didn't happen until 4.1, which was like 5 months into the expansion. Before then it was daily. And that's when the burnout happened in my guild. I'll admit I was not a good player back then, I had just really started doing dungeons during the lich king patch and they were all faceroll, but in my guild the grind was devastating because everyone wanted their daily heroic and it often took hours (hellloooo Deadmines). Sure, once we got to the dragon soul patch there was no burnout and it was great, I'm just talking specifically about how I don't think the problem was the hard dungeons, it was the hard dungeons combined with the strong daily reward (if you didn't raid heroic, that valor gear had some of your BIS).
    Was it not at launch? I forget Cataclysm's early days slightly, as I wasn't really playing it too much until a few months into the expansion... but it was still rather early, as I was progressing through early raiding.

Either way, by the time I was playing it, Cataclysm was severely lax on DailyCraft, unless I'm actually misremembering not doing mandatory daily 5 man runs.

I used to love TB's podcast and videos. Then he got incredibly whiny in Cata when he stopped, because they nerfed T11 when T12 came out, and he hadn't even done T11. But he made it out to be his huge "pandering to the casuals" sort of tryhard talk and I got soured on his "holier than thou" attitude towards everything.

The main thing I find myself agreeing with him on was the idea that multiple viable raids per tier was an okay thing to have, rather than invalidating the previous tier when the newest tier came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    I used to love TB's podcast and videos. Then he got incredibly whiny in Cata when he stopped, because they nerfed T11 when T12 came out, and he hadn't even done T11. But he made it out to be his huge "pandering to the casuals" sort of tryhard talk and I got soured on his "holier than thou" attitude towards everything.

The main thing I find myself agreeing with him on was the idea that multiple viable raids per tier was an okay thing to have, rather than invalidating the previous tier when the newest tier came out.
    Someone may remember better, but yes, i know an awful lot of ppl who used to watch everything he released right up until the point where he said "this game is for casuals now, its catering to casuals and us hardcore players are ignored" and then when someone pointed out he had done almost no content at all, and was struggling to complete normal mode, he became extremely toxic and negative about the game and claimed he COULD do the hard stuff, he WOULD do the hard stuff, but he just dont wanna - and for some ppl, that was the end of TB.

Obviously he had a decent career after that, but it was clear a certain portion of the community really didnt appreciate the "this game is too easy for me" attitude, when he wasnt even doing mid tier difficulty stuff.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I missed his WTF is series. He will be missed for a long time to come.
    WTF is Sunless Sea still remains one of my favorites. I wound up loving that game so much.

Guys~

There is 2 types of players.

The players of nowadays who enjoy fast paced stuff
    And nerds who enjoy slow paced stuff
    We will find out soon enough if there is a place/market for us nerds with the success/failure of WoW Classic.
    It will tell us if "oldschool design" can sustain itself in todays time.

Someone may remember better, but yes, i know an awful lot of ppl who used to watch everything he released right up until the point where he said "this game is for casuals now, its catering to casuals and us hardcore players are ignored" and then when someone pointed out he had done almost no content at all, and was struggling to complete normal mode, he became extremely toxic and negative about the game and claimed he COULD do the hard stuff, he WOULD do the hard stuff, but he just dont wanna - and for some ppl, that was the end of TB.

Obviously he had a decent career after that, but it was clear a certain portion of the community really didnt appreciate the "this game is too easy for me" attitude, when he wasnt even doing mid tier difficulty stuff.
    I suspect it might have been an excuse to go off and do other things. I recall another podcast, the name escapes me, that the host went on this tirade about I can't remember if it was RealID or the "Call to Arms" in the dungeon finder (maybe both) and basically threw a tantrum and ragequit his podcast, then later he came clean that IIRC his wife had just had a baby and he wanted to "go out with a bang".

I suspect TB may have done the same thing, since it was clear at that point he was getting tired of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Guys~

There is 2 types of players.

The players of nowadays who enjoy fast paced stuff
    And nerds who enjoy slow paced stuff
    We will find out soon enough if there is a place/market for us nerds with the success/failure of WoW Classic.
    It will tell us if "oldschool design" can sustain itself in todays time.
    There are lot more than just 2 player types. WoW is an ocean of different playerbases, of which we know raiding is one of the lesser ones. Many people enjoy doing mog runs, pet battles, pvp and so on. Now on topic i miss the fuck out of TB, i was always a huge fan of his, but i have never agreed with his views on WoW. I can bet all of my left nuts than raiding would be in a much worse place if they kept the old system, because pouring resources into stuff only 10% see is an absolute waste of time and money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Would have loved to see his reaction to unveil of Classic
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    There are lot more than just 2 player types. WoW is an ocean of different playerbases, of which we know raiding is one of the lesser ones. Many people enjoy doing mog runs, pet battles, pvp and so on. Now on topic i miss the fuck out of TB, i was always a huge fan of his, but i have never agreed with his views on WoW. I can bet all of my left nuts than raiding would be in a much worse place if they kept the old system, because pouring resources into stuff only 10% see is an absolute waste of time and money.
    In vanilla there wasnt any of that crap.

Entirely my point.

edit: sorry im mad, i just lost a duel to a stupid assassination rogue in a BG. i FUC#@ۤ hate Assass rogues. I rage quited that crap so fast
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2019-05-28 at 11:12 PM.