Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Like it has always been? Once more, unless you keep all your cash in a sock, you would loose it anyway. Just look at history for bank failures. And unless you are in mafia, keeping even a million in cash would take absurd amount of space.
    Also, I do not know about USA, but here we have a maximum of 100k EUR guaranteed to be returned to us by goverment, in case a bank goes down.
    Nah if a bank goes down we still can withdraw the money see all the people who did in Greece during the finance crisis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Cashless is eventually going to be the way it will be.
    Ill believe it if and when it happens. They have also been saying since the day printers became available to everyone that we would be a paperless society too and here we are 40 years later and we use more paper than ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ill believe it if and when it happens. They have also been saying since the day printers became available to everyone that we would be a paperless society too and here we are 40 years later and we use more paper than ever!
    Well the term eventually does mean tommarow all the way to universes death. So one way or the other when all the universe is dead or destroyed business with discontinue to use cash.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always have cash (not saying I don't use credit cards). But there is psychology around using cash instead of credit cards. You are likely to spend less money when using cash than when using a credit card. I read a paper about 10 years ago about "the pain of paying with cash" it was supporting the fact that when you pay with cash you usually spend less money than with a credit card. I don't know if this is still true, but that's kind of what I have based my habits on.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2019-06-10 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Nah if a bank goes down we still can withdraw the money see all the people who did in Greece during the finance crisis.
    So see, why does it matter? Unless you are a millionaire (in which case your cash would still not be in paper format), it does not really matter, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Umm, it is happening right now in Europe.

Just this weekend I pass a couple of lemonade stands...it was cute. (Cash only though)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So see, why does it matter? Unless you are a millionaire (in which case your cash would still not be in paper format), it does not really matter, no?

Umm, it is happening right now in Europe.
    Yeah shure having money and being able to obtain it (aka having fucking cash) is "BAD", bcs fuck the people who need money right...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'm in my 40s in the US and feel like I am part of the last generation who used checks. I moved away from them several years ago, but a lot of people my age still use them. The following generation probably can't even write a check, so they're quickly becoming a thing of the past.
    I still use checks on occasion. We're a dying breed.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use credit cards at all. Cash only. I'd prefer to never own a credit card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    What do you think of businesses that don't accept cash as payment? What about declining checks as payments?
    Should be illegal in the U.S. Cash is our legal tender. By law it should be required to be accepted everywhere in the country.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Should be illegal in the U.S. Cash is our legal tender. By law it should be required to be accepted everywhere in the country.
    2 dollar bills are legal tender and MANY places won't take them still.

Good, physical cash in day to day transactions is a pain in the ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    You can fight that, so long as the bill is legit. Not worth the time, but i'd put my money on winning that court case.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Are you kidding? I had someone that was willing to pay me 10x it's worth for the one I have now.
    They're kind of a collector item where I am.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    What do you think of businesses that don't accept cash as payment? What about declining checks as payments?
    Interesting choice for a business, not accepting cash. Limits sales is basically the bottom line. I'm not sure why they would want to do that but it's their funeral.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Pretty sure it isn't legal.
    It's perfectly legal.

I don't use credit cards at all. Cash only. I'd prefer to never own a credit card.
    You're free to do as you wish, but you may want to reconsider this. Having a credit card isn't a bad thing if you use it responsibly and good credit will save you a tremendous amount of money on large purchases when you choose to make them.

A lot easier to live within your means if you pay cash only.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no issue with it, as long as there are multiple alternative payment options like credit card or digital wallet services, etc. I never have cash on me. I never pay for anything with cash unless I know it's a cash-only situation in advance and can prepare. If they will take card, that is absolutely always how I am paying. It would only bother me if they only accepted Apple Pay or whatever.

I'm fine with places not taking cheque. Literally the only thing I pay for through that method is medical bills that don't offer an online pay, and contractors who only accept payment in that form which is semi-common here... although I did have a landlord in the past that would only accept rent that way. I feel like no one pays for usual day-to-day purchases that way except people who are my parents' generation or older.

That's probably just because the cashier has never seen one before and is assuming it is a fake, not as a reflection of company policy. I've had the same with dollar coins in the US.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    A lot easier to live within your means if you pay cash only.
    This is true. But it is a lot smarter to let a credit card earn you money.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Just this weekend I pass a couple of lemonade stands...it was cute. (Cash only though)
    kids should get with the times and go card only according to this thread.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.