The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Can you elaborate on what "style" game this is? Because if the mindless grind is the primary selling point, then yeah, fuck that "style."

A game like this either needs proper loot or a better story. Or even a story at all.
    Warframes got a decent story the problem is you don’t get to it till pretty far into the game and it’s updated very slowly. The appeal of the game atleast to me is messing around with different Warframes and guns but that can only last so long till your just waiting for updates.

If you don’t like grinding and the game play isn’t enough warframe will just never been the game for you as it’s mostly a game of grinding while waiting s year for a few story quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    New War seems to be so, so far away that's depressing
    This is the biggest bummer for me; the story of the Tenno, the Lotus, and the Orokin is so cool but we only get 2 hours of it every year and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That Doom and Warframe have completely different genres and gameplay loops for one, apparently. Doom is a linear fps with hyper-real blood and gore that gives you an immediate "OH FUCK YEAH" feel. Warframe is neither linear, an FPS, or have hyper-real blood and gore.

I only really play Warframe for 1 or 2 months a year to just get all of the stuff. It's nice having all the stuff. Do I use most of it? No, of course not. I have a couple favourites I stick to, and then branch out to level the other stuff because I can. Its the same reason I play pokemon, because I wanna get all the stuff, but unlike in Pokemon, I actually enjoy the moment to moment gameplay of jumping around like a spastic monkey and slicing space humans to bits

- - - Updated - - -

So the season stuff makes you feel like you're missing out, but the random mission alerts didn't? I can't count the number of times I needed a couple Nitain extracts and they just didn't show up on alerts
    If you didn't see an alert with Nitain then how can you feel like you missed out on it? Also Nitain is a resource which isn't limited only to a 30 day event or how ever long the season shit lasts. Sure it may take you an extra week or two to craft something but you didn't completely miss out on a reward because of it.

And btw its much harder to obtain massive amounts of Nitain now. With alerts even if you only got 1-2 a week you would have still gotten more than you can from the season vendor by the time the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Warframes got a decent story the problem is you don’t get to it till pretty far into the game and it’s updated very slowly. The appeal of the game atleast to me is messing around with different Warframes and guns but that can only last so long till your just waiting for updates.

If you don’t like grinding and the game play isn’t enough warframe will just never been the game for you as it’s mostly a game of grinding while waiting s year for a few story quest.
    To elaborate on this: you don't get into the main story until you are some 100+ hours into the game, though it may be possible to jump in to it earlier if you rush. You have to unlock Neptune junction and scan an Occulyst drone on an Uranus sealab, and start the quest "Natah", the first quest in the main story. That said, I'd say that the story is more impactful if you have already immersed yourself in the world by playing the other quests (every Warframe starting with Mirage has a quest associated with it, plus there are quests that aren't tied to any one Warframe). That said, you're obviously not going to do all of that unless you enjoy the actual gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    To elaborate on this: you don't get into the main story until you are some 100+ hours into the game, though it may be possible to jump in to it earlier if you rush. You have to unlock Neptune junction and scan an Occulyst drone on an Uranus sealab, and start the quest "Natah", the first quest in the main story. That said, I'd say that the story is more impactful if you have already immersed yourself in the world by playing the other quests (every Warframe starting with Mirage has a quest associated with it, plus there are quests that aren't tied to any one Warframe). That said, you're obviously not going to do all of that unless you enjoy the actual gameplay.

Getting a friend to help, with some weapons (ignis), dojo access, and missions drastically reduces those 100 hours.

I gave this game a chance.

The combat and movement are extremely fluid...and that's about all it gets right. Everything is a grind. You have to keep swapping out weapons and leveling them over and over again. The open world zones have so much potential but you only get like 1 hour of quests in them. The remaining content in them are dailies/reputation grinding.

Every planet follows this concept of having one or two "story" missions where five seconds of something noteworthy happens, and the rest are generic lookalike maps with boring objectives.

Everything about Warframe is just fucking boring grinding with nothing interesting ever happening. How do people play this game? Can they really find nothing better to do? Like watching paint dry.
    I'll both echo and temper your criticisms.

Yeah, the game is grindy, almost absurdly so at times. You can circumvent a lot of grind if you know what you're doing, but really if you want to level up Arcanes or unlock Mesa via gameplay, you're gonna have a bad time. If you really want to min-max, you can lose countless hours chasing all the bullshit that enhances character power; mastery levels, primed mods, arcanes, rivens, potatoes, event weapons, standing, the list is endless and more is added to it all the time. All that just to end up killing the exact same enemy types over and over again, just with stats buffed to insane levels.

The story isn't bad, it's just reaaaaaaally fragmented. The backstory elements concerning the Tenno, the Warframes, Ballas, the Lotus, the Orokin, the Stalker, the Sentients, all that is pretty damn good by my reckoning. The problem is that most of it comes from background references and cryptic comments, some cameos here and there (such as Lotus trash talking us during the latest boss fight) and two hours of quests every year and a half. Compared to the story content outputted by, say, WoW during the same timeframe, that's really dismal even if the story itself is way better than any MMO I played. Some of the side stories are also neat, like the Harrow unlock quest or Fortuna. But ultimately it's too little, much like Overwatch which has a neat setting but barely explores it outside of a few comics and one new event a year.

Personally I take this game as a seasonal affair; I play when patches drop and add cool new stuff which I pursue until I grow bored. I don't bother much with trading beyond getting the few Primes I really wanted (Mesa, Oberon, Hydroid), don't participate in endgame activities that much and sure as fuck don't bother with shit like rivens or maximizing Nightwaves. As you say, the core gameplay loop carries the hell out of this game. Without the visual spectacle and sheer satisfaction granted by the bevy of outrageous weapons, crazy special moves, flashy parkour nonsense, and colorful (if by now too limited) enemies this game would long since have lost all my interest.

The combat and movement are extremely fluid...and that's about all it gets right. Everything is a grind.
    The bolded part is exactly why I (usually) don't mind the grind. Warframe just feels satisfying to play. Even awkwardly parkour-ing around an area is fun, to the point that I sometimes miss the mobility in similar games.

The only time the grind starts to get to me is when I'm attempting to get something with a low drop chance and have a terrible run of RNG, or if the game asks me to do activities that aren't as fun as jumping around and killing things, like mining or fishing. Or asks me to do content that I no longer have a use for, like with some of the Nightwave challenges. But as a couple people have pointed out, grinding things with a low drop chance or being told to do menial tasks for paltry rewards are all a staple of a lot of MMO-type games, including WoW.

I guess I would ask you, if the gameplay really feels that good to you, what is it about the grind in Warframe that differentiates it from the grind in something like WoW?
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    The bolded part is exactly why I (usually) don't mind the grind. Warframe just feels satisfying to play. Even awkwardly parkour-ing around an area is fun, to the point that I sometimes miss the mobility in similar games.

The only time the grind starts to get to me is when I'm attempting to get something with a low drop chance and have a terrible run of RNG, or if the game asks me to do activities that aren't as fun as jumping around and killing things, like mining or fishing. Or asks me to do content that I no longer have a use for, like with some of the Nightwave challenges. But as a couple people have pointed out, grinding things with a low drop chance or being told to do menial tasks for paltry rewards are all a staple of a lot of MMO-type games, including WoW.

I guess I would ask you, if the gameplay really feels that good to you, what is it about the grind in Warframe that differentiates it from the grind in something like WoW?
    Well, I want to make it clear that I stopped playing WoW, because outside of raiding it's a bad MMO. The questing is super generic, even in recent expansions, there's no open-world pvp incentive where you have massive guilds fighting each other. If it had open-world PvP you would actually have things to do outside of raids.

But, with WoW you're actually faced with extremely challenging content in mythic raids. Warframe has nothing like that. So that's the difference. The main game isn't the grind, it's the challenge to not only beat the content, but then do it better each week, push your compositions to their limit and drop healers for faster kills. Push yourself to become a top parser and learn all of the mechanics the game has to offer.

That is what I respect in proper raiding MMOs, like WoW or Rift (at its peak, not now of course).

Additionally, in Warframe it's not just the grind I'm complaining about. It's what you're doing along that grind. Apparently there's no proper story until an insane number of hours in; I'm basically told to suck it up and keep doing generic missions until I reach something interesting.
    Instead, I just quit. It's not worth it at all.

edit: I'm going to admit I'm not 100% sure about Warframe's endgame content but from everything I've researched, there's nothing close to the challenge of a mythic raid. If there was that carrot at the end of the stick, maybe I would suffer through generic missions to get there. But it's really just not possible, not with the type of game warframe is.

Well, I want to make it clear that I stopped playing WoW, because outside of raiding it's a bad MMO. The questing is super generic, even in recent expansions, there's no open-world pvp incentive where you have massive guilds fighting each other. If it had open-world PvP you would actually have things to do outside of raids.

But, with WoW you're actually faced with extremely challenging content in mythic raids. Warframe has nothing like that. So that's the difference. The main game isn't the grind, it's the challenge to not only beat the content, but then do it better each week, push your compositions to their limit and drop healers for faster kills. Push yourself to become a top parser and learn all of the mechanics the game has to offer.

That is what I respect in proper raiding MMOs, like WoW or Rift (at its peak, not now of course).

Additionally, in Warframe it's not just the grind I'm complaining about. It's what you're doing along that grind. Apparently there's no proper story until an insane number of hours in; I'm basically told to suck it up and keep doing generic missions until I reach something interesting.
    Instead, I just quit. It's not worth it at all.

edit: I'm going to admit I'm not 100% sure about Warframe's endgame content but from everything I've researched, there's nothing close to the challenge of a mythic raid. If there was that carrot at the end of the stick, maybe I would suffer through generic missions to get there.
    Warframe used to have raiding: The Law of Retribution and The Jordas Verdict. They demanded coordination between all eight players and it was a ton of fun to play over voice chat. They even dropped an exclusive upgrades called "Arcanes" which could be attached to your gear, like an enchant. Unfortunately, very few people played them, and so rather than creating new trials, DE removed the two raids from the game and opted to create the open world bosses like the Eidolons and the Orb Mothers (which now drop arcanes). They're fine, but you just don't get the feel of being a part of this highly coordinated operation as you did with the eight player raids, where you weren't just fighting through one boss, but completely a complex mission with multiple objectives (which had a boss fight at the end).

Ah, I think I get your hang up now, Ahovv. I should have paid closer attention to your signature.

Warframe is most definitely NOT a competitive or challenging game. It is a very casual game where, outside of Nightwave telling you to do stuff if you want rewards, you tend to be free to set your own goals. As a couple people in this thread have mentioned, it's the kind of game where you can take a month's long break from, and be able to come back and spend a couple weeks doing any of the new content that came out in that time, and then wander away again when you get bored. And again, there are those of us that enjoy Warframe's core gameplay enough that we can still find something to do whilst waiting for new content to drop.

So yeah, it definitely sounds like Warframe might not be for you. And that's perfectly alright- different strokes for different folks, and all that. I guess I just don't understand the need to come off as hostile towards a playerbase that enjoys something you don't...?

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I think I get your hang up now, Ahovv. I should have paid closer attention to your signature.

Warframe is most definitely NOT a competitive or challenging game. It is a very casual game where, outside of Nightwave telling you to do stuff if you want rewards, you tend to be free to set your own goals. As a couple people in this thread have mentioned, it's the kind of game where you can take a month's long break from, and be able to come back and spend a couple weeks doing any of the new content that came out in that time, and then wander away again when you get bored. And again, there are those of us that enjoy Warframe's core gameplay enough that we can still find something to do whilst waiting for new content to drop.

So yeah, it definitely sounds like Warframe might not be for you. And that's perfectly alright- different strokes for different folks, and all that. I guess I just don't understand the need to come off as hostile towards a playerbase that enjoys something you don't...?
    I'd love to play through the game if it had a proper story in the first dozens of hours.

I'd love to play through the game if it had a proper story in the first dozens of hours.
    While Warframe's story is particularly threadbare at the start, is there an example of any other MMO that starts out particularly strong?

Also, they are apparently going to be working on improving the early game experience for new players. One of the new cinematics from Tennocon is actually meant to be a preview of that. Did you happen to watch any of them?

7+ Year Old Account
    While Warframe's story is particularly threadbare at the start, is there an example of any other MMO that starts out particularly strong?

Also, they are apparently going to be working on improving the early game experience for new players. One of the new cinematics from Tennocon is actually meant to be a preview of that. Did you happen to watch any of them?
    SWTOR is pretty interesting. Full voice acting, decisions to make, political intrigue.

SWTOR is pretty interesting. Full voice acting, decisions to make, political intrigue.
    Very true. In fact, that's SWTOR's big selling point.

Do you currently play SWTOR?

7+ Year Old Account
    Very true. In fact, that's SWTOR's big selling point.

Do you currently play SWTOR?
    Just story stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Warframe used to have raiding: The Law of Retribution and The Jordas Verdict. They demanded coordination between all eight players and it was a ton of fun to play over voice chat. They even dropped an exclusive upgrades called "Arcanes" which could be attached to your gear, like an enchant. Unfortunately, very few people played them, and so rather than creating new trials, DE removed the two raids from the game and opted to create the open world bosses like the Eidolons and the Orb Mothers (which now drop arcanes). They're fine, but you just don't get the feel of being a part of this highly coordinated operation as you did with the eight player raids, where you weren't just fighting through one boss, but completely a complex mission with multiple objectives (which had a boss fight at the end).
    Raids are not permanently removed, they've talked about reworking them.

Nobody played them because they were absolutely not fun. They were huge puzzles with little to no gunfight/action where the main concept was to bring control warframes and not do anything for 30+ minutes.

Of course nobody cared about that content. The two last bosses (Ropalolyst and Exploiter Orb) are having the same issue though, where your stuff doesn't matter AT ALL and you just have to do actions in a given sequence to defeat it. And that is unsatisfying as hell.

The story (when you get to it), is actually pretty epic, and a good addition to an already great game.
    It does take a while to reach, but it's expanding still.

BOOM, mind blown kind of stuff.
    Ill skip on the spoilers in case you do get to it at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any tips for a beginner? Just getting through the start phase (only level 5 or 6 Volt with Bow, kunai and katana).

Do weapon upgrades that say Rifle on them work on Bows too, is it like the slot name? Or does it only actually work on Rifles, because from what I saw I can equip them on Bows, just not sure that the bonuses are actually applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Raids are not permanently removed, they've talked about reworking them.

Nobody played them because they were absolutely not fun. They were huge puzzles with little to no gunfight/action where the main concept was to bring control warframes and not do anything for 30+ minutes.

Of course nobody cared about that content. The two last bosses (Ropalolyst and Exploiter Orb) are having the same issue though, where your stuff doesn't matter AT ALL and you just have to do actions in a given sequence to defeat it. And that is unsatisfying as hell.
    Because the damage model is so borked that if they make an encounter that has enough health to survive a properly min/maxed endgame weapon, anything else won't even begin to scratch the boss's paintjob. And if they made it so underpowered stuff like my non-Prime Soma could damage the boss, someone with a riven'd and super-modded beast with 100x the DPS of my peashooter would vaporize the encounter in five seconds flat.

@Skorpionss Rifle mods work on most any primary weapon that isn't a Shotgun, who have their own mod set entirely. You can view the actual effects of mods on the left-hand side of the UI (assuming you play on PC). For example installing a Critical Chance mod should show that this stat increased with a green number.

As a beginner, there's not much more to it than methodically clearing the Star Chart and making new weapons so you can get Mastery Levels and progress. There are some basic but useful weaponry directly available on the market like the Braton rifle or Lex pistol; most anything more advanced will require higher Mastery and/or rarer resources, but during the early/mid game enemies are squishy enough that most weapons are perfectly usable so long as you mod them. New Warfames will take some grinding to get unless you pay real money, so for now focus on equipment.