10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I know it's not true but it's just to say they're extremely overpaid when medical researches earn around 60% above minimum wage.
    I was under the impression that not just the super stars were being talked about but rather small local sports clubs. Same would go for music teachers, fitness trainers etc.
    Many of these people do not work on a fixed salary but as freelancers. Not being able to give lessons will be tough on many of them.

Them super stars have so much cash, doubt they care if one season is a dud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Sure.. because a sports trainer has soo many qualifications and it's super easy to just start a new flourishing business or find a new job, esp at a time like this.
    An out-of-work sports trainer is no "more" out-of-work than any other out-of-work person right now. Get over it.

BTW, don't underestimate the importance of entertainment at a time like this. People NEED distractions and breaks from their worries in order to not go bananas.
    Don't go overestimating the amount of escapism people will have watching teams that play in front of empty arenas, when the injury reports look more like lineups, and when nobody's really playing at 100%.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure.. because a sports trainer has soo many qualifications and it's super easy to just start a new flourishing business or find a new job, esp at a time like this.
    Who said anything about it being easy?

This situation is far from easy, for pretty much everybody.

No, people that work as freelancers have a right to worry and kudos to any state that helps such people.
    BTW, don't underestimate the importance of entertainment at a time like this. People NEED distractions and breaks from their worries in order to not go bananas.
    Luckily we live in the 21st century and there are gazillions of terabytes of recorded, and live, entertainment available at your fingertips.

Entertainment that requires physical presence of people, especially mass public events, are history for now. Times change.

It might change back some day, but I wouldn't hold my breath yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    putting your head in the sand isn't going to solve anything or make it go away.
    That's not the plan, my plan is to ease myself of worry. Staying away from the news helps me a lot. There's nothing the news can tell me that I don't already know. I need to think about my mental health right now. I can manage my own physical well being during this pandemic well enough.

As for your anxiety: accept the fact that most of us will get infected at some point. Accept the fact, as I have (member of multiple risk groups), that this may be the end of the line for us. Death is a part of life, being paralyzed by terror won't change that fact. We WILL have to face it eventually.
    If I ever die I wouldn't give a shit, inf act me dying doesnt worry me, I am more worried about the people I love in my life...
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-04-04 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If you made bucket loads of money already then you can live on your savings.

Regardless, if your plan for future is playing sports professionally you better be part of that fraction of a percentage of people who get to the top because I can't think of more braindead idea than betting your future on playing sports.
    It was always a high risk / high reward profession choice.

Only the top 0.01% make it big.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Entertainment that requires physical presence of people, especially mass public events, are history for now. Times change.
    It might change back some day, but I wouldn't hold my breath yet.
    Hyperbole much?

This outbreak will pass, eventually most people will be through with their infection and that will be the end of it. May take a year, may take 3 but life will return to normal sooner or later.

Unless this virus mutates fast enough to make acquired immunity too short and vaccines ineffective. Then we will have these outbreaks on a regular basis.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hyperbole much?

This outbreak will pass, eventually most people will be through with their infection and that will be the end of it. May take a year, may take 3 but life will return to normal sooner or later.

Unless this virus mutates fast enough to make acquired immunity too short and vaccines ineffective. Then we will have these outbreaks on a regular basis.
    You do understand the consequences of an active outbreak for 1 to 3 years?

What we have after that doesn't resemble "normal".
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Ok soothsayer.

If you think big events wont be back I have a bridge to sell you.

Do you know how many billions watching sports is worth alone? Even if there needs to be rule changes, they will make it work because its too much money to just say goodbye too. Money > safety sooner or later.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends on the severity of the sustained measures.
    It may very well be that we need to make a few cuts into our decadent lifestyle, yes but as far as the rich industrial nations are concerned, I doubt that it will be that much of a problem for them.

"Believe"

Trump's BMI is around 30. He is obese. He is fat.

He is not morbidly obese.
    lol what...

He is nearly 74 and around 187cm I guess.
    A simple online BMI calculator (I know they are only somewhat accurate) says that he would be at 105kg for a BMI of 30. No way in hell.
    He is minimum 120-130kg, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    lol what...

A simple online BMI calculator (I know they are only somewhat accurate) says that he would be at 105kg for a BMI of 30. No way in hell.
    Every health expert worth their salt knows BMI is useless metric anyway and body fat % is much better.

BMI doesnt factor in muscle which is heavier than fat. Every Olympic weightlifter would be classed as obese on the BMI Its completely busted

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Ok soothsayer.

If you think big events wont be back I have a bridge to sell you.

Do you know how many billions watching sports is worth alone? Even if there needs to be rule changes, they will make it work because its too much money to just say goodbye too. Money > safety sooner or later.
    Big events will be back. But a majority of the people and businesses working in that industry will be different than what they are now.
    That depends on the severity of the sustained measures.
    It may very well be that we need to make a few cuts into our decadent lifestyle, yes but as far as the rich industrial nations are concerned, I doubt that it will be that much of a problem for them.
    People don't seem to understand the severity of the situation we are facing right now. What has happened this far is just a tiny tip of the iceberg of the catastrophe to come. In a best case scenario, the western world will only suffer some millions of deaths and global shutdown of a couple of months. In a best case scenario that is.

However, even if we achieve the best case scenario here - Africa, India, South America.... the death toll there will be absolutely devastating and it will have a major impact on our economies as well.

Whatever it is that comes for us in 2021, will be our new normal. However it will be a far cry from what was normal in 2019. Mass unemployment, lots of death, economy crashing, physical distancing, lack of goods.

And people are worried about football. Open your eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    lol what...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47243351
    He is 191cm and 110kg give or take a few kilos.

To be morbidly obese he should weigh nearly 150kg. And no, he isn't near that. If you think so, you don't seem to know what 40 BMI looks like with low to normal muscularity.

However, even if we achieve the best case scenario here - Africa, India, South America.... the death toll there will be absolutely devastating and it will have a major impact on our economies as well.

Whatever it is that comes for us in 2021, will be our new normal. However it will be a far cry from what was normal in 2019. Mass unemployment, lots of death, economy crashing, physical distancing, lack of goods.

Preach it. I don't really want to think right now about what the new reality will be after this. I hope to fuck lessons are learned, but there is just no getting round the fact that the cost on human life from this is going to be staggering. Old world priorities will need to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

They're not mutually exclusive.

You can be worried about the economy/peoples health and football. And you can trivialize it as "just sports bro" yeah but its still part of said economy and is peoples livelihoods so of course people are gonna be worried about it.

Next you'll be saying they should just get a job at their local supermarket instead but that is just stupid. People will live their dreams over the chance of dying like they always have and theres only so long before people will do it anyway and cause a massive strain on police resources so doing these things safely is the far better option for everyone anyway.

He is 191cm and 110kg give or take a few kilos.

To be morbidly obese he should weigh nearly 150kg. And no, he isn't near that. If you think so, you don't seem to know what 40 BMI looks like with low to normal muscularity.
    This is getting OT btw and we should stop it here.
    Just don't believe those fake numbers, lol. He is around 186/187. And he is no way in hell 110kg. Source: I work with people who look pretty much like him and they are way heavier.

Also BMI is indeed bad, because the weight of muscles somehow destroy the metric as Volatilis pointed out

15+ Year Old Account
    They're not mutually exclusive.

You can be worried about the economy/peoples health and football. And you can trivialize it as "just sports bro" yeah but its still part of said economy and is peoples livelihoods so of course people are gonna be worried about it.

Next you'll be saying they should just get a job at their local supermarket instead but that is just stupid. People will live their dreams over the chance of dying like they always have and theres only so long before people will do it anyway and cause a massive strain on police resources so doing these things safely is the far better option for everyone anyway.
    Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

This isn't the first time an event, be it war, disease, natural disaster or technology, has changed the economic landscape drastically in a short period of time.

Not everyone is going to make it, but many are.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

This isn't the first time an event, be it war, disease, natural disaster or technology, has changed the economic landscape drastically in a short period of time.

Not everyone is going to make it, but many are.
    This sounds like a promo ad for the next season of survivor.

Claim it down lad. This isnt the bubonic plague or spanish flu. I have faith scientists working around the world will come up with a vaccine.

I have more faith in technology and science than your hyperbole.

15+ Year Old Account
    This isnt the bubonic plague or spanish flu.
    Hah! What makes you think that? Currently the numbers are lining up exactly like those two.

I have faith scientists working around the world will come up with a vaccine.
    So do I. Remember that creating a vaccine will take a year or two in minimum. Tick, tock. That's a loooooooooooooooooooong fucking time in the world we live right now.

I have more faith in technology and science than your hyperbole.
    Faith...

Not a word you should associate with technology and science. Especially in this situation when the experts are saying that the vaccine is far in the future, if they succeed making one in the first place.

Hah! What makes you think that? Currently the numbers are lining up exactly like those two.

So do I. Remember that creating a vaccine will take a year or two in minimum. Tick, tock. That's a loooooooooooooooooooong fucking time in the world we live right now.

Faith...

Not a word you should associate with technology and science. Especially in this situation when the experts are saying that the vaccine is far in the future, if they succeed making one in the first place.
    Its not the spanish flu or bubonic plague because we already know exactly how it works. Its not some big mystery of "did god curse us?!" "its because I slept with my neighbours wife!" no, we know exactly what we're dealing with. The only issue is time. Once human trials are complete and theirs no signs of side effects that are worse than what they are curing then they can start rolling it out. Yes its gonna effect the world in ways niether you or I could predict. But the problem solving tools of humanity now are far beyond early age period times where rats and fleas could bring down empires.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not the spanish flu or bubonic plague because we already know exactly how it works. Its not some big mystery of "did god curse us?!" "its because I slept with my neighbours wife!" no, we know exactly what we're dealing with. The only issue is time. Once human trials are complete and theirs no signs of side effects that are worse than what they are curing then they can start rolling it out. Yes its gonna effect the world in ways niether you or I could predict. But the problem solving tools of humanity now are far beyond early age period times where rats and fleas could bring down empires.
    ... oh dear.

It's very similar to the spanish flu in many aspects - most importantly the numbers. And no, people didn't think spanish flu was caused by wrath of god.

"Once human trials are complete" - you do understand what that means? It's not like they inject Jimbob and see if he survives the weekend and if he does - mass produce 7 billion shots.