Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

With services like Games Pass can you justify paying a monthly sub for WoW?

This is not about not being able to afford a monthly job or “getting a job”. This is purely on value - value of money and time spent gaming. This has nothing to do with “its worth .50 cents a day or less than a coffee” argument.

Over here it costs almost $18/month. Personally I have not felt like WoW has been worth the sub fee for a long time. I came back a couple of times during BFA, first just after launch and then last year after Najz. The levelling up is much improved but everything feels like a grind and doing a bunch of dailies.

Just wondering how people still view the cost of the subscription fee for WoW? When I look at services like Games Pass and EA Origins and see the amount of content available for a fraction of the cost and with free games on Epic Store plus the numerous sales it’s just terrible. For the cost of $18/month I can buy multiple games during a sale or save up for one of Steam’s seasonal sales every few months.

Because not all content has equal value.

7+ Year Old Account
    Easily justifiable:
    1. The sub for WoW is a ridiculously low blip on my monthly expenditure chart.
    2. I still, and I know this is going to be shocking to some, I still really enjoy WoW.

*boom* Justified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess it depends on how you feel about some of the games in Game Pass. When WoW was at its peak there weren't many games that matched it in terms of enjoyment for me and there was far and away enough content to keep me entertained. Overall, I will probably play every WoW expansion to some degree unless they really piss me off, because I think the game is very worth the dollar to time ratio for at least the first month of each expansion.

With Game Pass you have more variety but considering how big people's backlogs are, often times having that much variety can lead to not knowing what to play.

Of course I can, because I don't enjoy most other games the way I enjoy WoW.

It's like asking me if I wouldn't rather spend less money and get 10 McDonald's burgers than save up and spend the equivalent or more on a single meal. "How can u justify it when u'd get more out of one option"... Because I'd enjoy one option more than the other.

I can also conclude that, as I'm currently playing GW2 as well, that I'll always prefer the sub fee over what "free-to-play" games do in terms of store items. How does paying money to expand your character roster sound? Or paying for more bag slots? Or paying for story chapters you didn't login during when they were current...?

Yeah. I love GW2, but I'd easily spend more money on it /month than I do on WoW and its sub fee. Glad WoW has a sub fee.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Easily justifiable:
    2. I still, and I know this is going to be shocking to some, I still really enjoy WoW.

*boom* Justified.
    My man. ^_^
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-07-11 at 01:13 AM.

If I want to play a game I play it, not gonna wait months on it to go to gamepass so the service is not attractive to me in the least. I would only ever use it for first party MS games and well the last time they had a first party game I gave a shit about gamepass didn't exist so...

If you enjoy WoW more than the games on the Game Pass... yes? Value is always relative. Might as well ask why pay for a golf equipment and course when you could buy rollerblades instead. Maybe you just, you know, like golf more.

Let me put it that way, WoW is the last game that should think about raising their prices. Since I've practically have given up on raiding seriously for the most part the 10ish bucks a month I simething I can justify to a certain degree (outside of the short phases when new content drops).

That being said I don't think there is a single game out there with a game pass that I could justify playing either. At the end I would play modded minecraft, continue my own mod that never made it to release or play single player games instead - which I tend to do anyway.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

The gist of it is that nothing else offers the same experience as WoW. MMORPGs are really expensive to maintain and keep going at a healthy rate. People expect new content at steady pace and by new content I don't just mean new emotes and shits but plethoras of art assets and systems. I wouldn't touch a F2P MMO or even most RPGs. I hate games of this genre that sell content in fractions. Players should be brought into the same page as much as possible. Although, I would welcome a F2P MMORPG that can put out content at the same rate of WoW and with limited mtx like WoW.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2020-07-11 at 10:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    This is not about not being able to afford a monthly job or “getting a job”. This is purely on value - value of money and time spent gaming. This has nothing to do with “its worth .50 cents a day or less than a coffee” argument.

Over here it costs almost $18/month. Personally I have not felt like WoW has been worth the sub fee for a long time. I came back a couple of times during BFA, first just after launch and then last year after Najz. The levelling up is much improved but everything feels like a grind and doing a bunch of dailies.

Just wondering how people still view the cost of the subscription fee for WoW? When I look at services like Games Pass and EA Origins and see the amount of content available for a fraction of the cost and with free games on Epic Store plus the numerous sales it’s just terrible. For the cost of $18/month I can buy multiple games during a sale or save up for one of Steam’s seasonal sales every few months.
    What is a good value changes from one person to the next - if you don't feel like you're getting your money's worth, cancel your sub and be done with it. It isn't hard and it doesn't require validation on a forum full of random people.

I don't know what it is about the current generation of gamers that seem to think we need blogs and testimonials every time they don't like a thing or want to pay for a thing, but we don't.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Value is relative

If you want to play WoW than services like Game Pass aren't "more valuable".
    Even if you aren't playing WoW than services like game Pass will still only be as valuable to you as your interest is in the games in the library.

But any of these "Can you justify X when it's cheaper to do Y" type questions are pointless.

"Can you justify spending 15 bucks for a night out at the movies when you can spend the same amount for an entire month of WoW?"

The only justification you have to make about your wow subscription, or any other luxury you spend money on, is whether or not you personally feel you are getting that much value out of it. If you aren't getting that value...unsub. Go try other things for a little while and discover something to fill your time with that does give the value you are looking for. Maybe it's something like Game Pass. Maybe it's binge watching Netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Easily justifiable:

*boom* Justified.
    This right here, and to add, I've been enjoying this game since day one + some betas. I have invested time and money that I don't feel wasted.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I mean...honestly a lot of those services aren't that ..great

I had the XBOX game pass for a while but the UI just pissed me off and I unsubbed from it..I also have the year pass for PSNow...I played 3 games on it to completion in the 7 months I've had it of which ONE actually led me to a purchase (Persona 5) and I'll likely buy the other 2 later (God of War and Spiderman if you were interested)

XBOX game pass was ok...I have no want for an XBOX and most of the games on there..I either had anyway or wasn't willing to deal with the UI to keep paying for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I divide the number of hours I spend on entertainment (WoW vs. Netflix vs. Xbox Games Pass), WoW is CLEARLY the cheapest per hour in terms of my personal time investment.

In other words, no matter how much shit Microsoft gives me in terms of variety, I still spend way more time in WoW, and I enjoy it thoroughly.

What's Games Pass and what does it have to do with WoW

The sub fee for WoW has N E V E R been a deciding factor on when/why I quit/take a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    If I divide the number of hours I spend on entertainment (WoW vs. Netflix vs. Xbox Games Pass), WoW is CLEARLY the cheapest per hour in terms of my personal time investment.
    I never understand this "cost / hours" analysis.
    Do you calculate "cost / calories" in a restaurant?

WoW daily is a chore.
    The formula should be "hour / (non daily hours - daily hour)".
    I am sure this number is negative. You had negative fun.

Didn't you make this exact same topic the other day and was locked for "Game vs. game"?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

WoW daily is a chore.
    Did you just decide that for him? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

WoW daily is a chore.
    It's a chore to you. Don't dare assume what I enjoy or not dude.

If you don't like the game, sucks to be you, I actually like it and enjoy pretty much all of it.