Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    The only thing you won't be able to do together is the max level campaign, which atm is a few hours of content (which may be expanded upon as expansion progresses). So if you hit 60 together, be prepared to spend a short amount oftime after getting max level apart. Liken this to the class hall quest lines from Legion or the faction war questline from BFA.

I just don't think that covenant choice is going to be the do or die thing people are making it out to be. It isn't raider IO or gearscore. Getting 'laughed out of the room' seems like a stretch.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    yes /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Broombot View Post
    I just don't think that covenant choice is going to be the do or die thing people are making it out to be. It isn't raider IO or gearscore. Getting 'laughed out of the room' seems like a stretch.
    Time will tell. Considering the impact of soulbinds in addition to the abilities, there's a good chance that the difference between covenants will be noticeable, in some content more than others. I hope you're right, but I'm not optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Blizzard will be pulling the "ripcord" soon based on how many people are not happy so there is that at least!

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    That's like saying you have the choice to not use corruption. Sure you "do" but to access a certain part of this game you'd be laughed outa the room.
    Oh please. Hyperbole much?

If I said "you can just skip covenants" then your analogy would be apt. But I didn't.

Picking one covenant over another is just simply not going to have the same effect on your power level as completely ignoring a game sub-system like corruption. Let's avoid being ridiculous please.

Quote Originally Posted by Broombot View Post
    Indeed.

I do worry about the covenant specific buffs in dungeons being a problem for forming M+ groups though, but the covenant active ability is just not the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    Oh please. Hyperbole much?

If I said "you can just skip covenants" then your analogy would be apt. But I didn't.

Picking one covenant over another is just simply not going to have the same effect on your power level as completely ignoring a game sub-system like corruption. Let's avoid being ridiculous please.
    Happy to avoid the ridiculous analogies if you can stop being intentionally obtuse. You know damn well to play this game at a competitive level you need the right covenant.

You only have a realistic choice if you don't care about making a character optimal.

Happy to avoid the ridiculous analogies if you can stop being intentionally obtuse. You know damn well to play this game at a competitive level you need the right covenant.

You only have a realistic choice if you don't care about making a character optimal.
    Just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't mean I'm being intentionally obtuse.

Unless you're elite tier, your active covenant ability is simply not going to matter. HOWEVER, if you are elite tier, you have still made a choice, that choice being to play at elite tier at the expense of aesthetics or whatever. It's still a choice, whether you're willing to accept that fact or not.

Honestly, I don't blame the OP for being confused. A lot of high profile content creators, as well as even sites like Wowhead make an incredible amount of fuss around differences between covenants and the hurdles required to switch between them. Lots of people just eat that without thinking what's actually the big deal, and that is mostly problems for the high end.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyrexia-KulTiras View Post
    Husband/wife.. If Preach's drama time has teached us anything, it is that this is a red flag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Let's hope Preach hasn't taught anyone anything. That guy is a cancer to the whole industry. Hell, if I was forced to watch him talk about something or Bobby Kotick - I'd choose the latter.
    It's important to be able to look past differences of opinion and acknowledge the positives and value in someone. Especially if those differences of opinion pertain to a video game and not some important real life stuff. There's no doubt in my mind that Preach is doing a lot of good for the community as a whole, and I would even argue that it's an objective fact, but everyone is free to feel otherwise of course.

As for Drama Time that's a comedy show, and I think it's important to remember that. There are obviously some things you can learn from people's stories, but it's also just a piece of silly entertainment. Again the issue is not the show, but people's inability to think critically. Not that long ago Preach has had to go on record to say that it's just a joke and there's thousands of husband-wife guilds that are perfectly fine to be in. The reality is WoW is a game for older generation of gamers. And because that is the case, many players are adults who are already in relationships, often those relationships consist of two people who both play wow. This is just natural. I've been in like 3-4 "husband-wife" guilds in my life, though in most cases they weren't actually married, and it was mostly fine to be a member of those guilds. It's just a natural way of things to have GMs be adults that are commited to the game who also have partners who play. Funnily enough, in like 2 of those situations, it was the wife who was the GM and not the other way around.

Him and Asmongold. Guh.
    First of all, Preach and Asmongold are two very different "creators". Bundling the two of them together already kind of shows you don't have much of an idea about any of the two. Preach is mostly a technical commentator of the game, who makes a lot of guides and original videos. Asmongold is an entertainer who isn't doing any original content and just behaves in a silly way on stream while playing wow, which is good enough for many, and for myself sometimes too. Also, as somenoe who used to dislike him for his many takes on real life stuff and other issues I'm happy to inform that lately he seems to be slowly changing for the better, and in the many toxic dramas around youtube and twitch he's actually usually found on the good side.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Just because you don't like what I'm saying doesn't mean I'm being intentionally obtuse.

Unless you're elite tier, your active covenant ability is simply not going to matter. HOWEVER, if you are elite tier, you have still made a choice, that choice being to play at elite tier at the expense of aesthetics or whatever. It's still a choice, whether you're willing to accept that fact or not.
    Those are mutually exclusive.

Being a top tier player means playing optimally. You're arguing repeatedly the obvious, of course there's a choice. A choice between being good and bad. That's blindingly obvious.

You seem to refuse to accept though, that if you intend to play this game at a competitive level you quite literally have no choice on which covenant to pick. What's worse is the covenant abilities to be effective in mythic + vs raid are also mutually exclusive.

Those are mutually exclusive.

Being a top tier player means playing optimally. You're arguing repeatedly the obvious, of course there's a choice. A choice between being good and bad. That's blindingly obvious.

You seem to refuse to accept though, that if you intend to play this game at a competitive level you quite literally have no choice on which covenant to pick. What's worse is the covenant abilities to be effective in mythic + vs raid are also mutually exclusive.
    If you were angling to misunderstand me as much as possible, you succeeded.

But first, if you think active covenant ability A and active covenant B have enough of a gulf between them for one to be "good" and the other to be "bad", you must have trouble with the color gray. One being optimal and the other being less so? Sure. But bad connotes a lot more than "not the optimal choice". But you seem to only speak hyperbole so I guess this isn't shocking.

But to clarify the point of mine you aren't getting - my point is that you do have a choice of covenant, but you are eliminating that choice when you choose to play elite tier competitive instead since that likely will shoehorn you into a specific covenant for it's active ability. Just like a raider who faction/race changes to exploit a specific racial ability.

These are all choices that you make. My original point was, and has continued to be, that acting like you don't have a choice of covenant is disingenuous. Of course you do. But you're denying yourself that choice by choosing the elite tier playstyle.

And if that's what you want, that's fine. Just accept that you made a decision with a cost and get over it.

I've decided I'd rather play the covenant I want, which is not necessarily the covenant that's optimal. I've accepted that the decision I've made comes with a cost (probably no elite tier for me) and I'm over it.

If you couldn't play with each other in Shadowlands, don't despair:
    You have each other at least <3

Now thats me on the cutest.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    not everyone has read into it as much as you, no need to be rude.
    It's not being rude at all, And if you bothered to read my full comment, I very clearly say "I've hardly read anything. There's no way Blizzard would split the playerbase like that, It's just common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Choice only exists between similar things. Looking good and playing good are two entirely different things so there can be no real choice. Sure enough, the ACT of choosing will be there. But its like being onboard the sinking Titanic and someone asking: Would you like the Tuxedo or the Life Vest.
    That is a false assumption. Literally furthest from the truth.

Like a hammer and an axe. Assuming you want to hammer the nails, both tools can probably do it.

So if you want to hammer like 10 nails you buy whatever is cheaper.
    If you want to hammer 10 000 nails you probably pick a hammer.
    If you want to hammer 100 nails and cut a tree you will be looking for hammer and axe in one.
    If you want to cut 10 trees you will be looking for an axe
    If you want to cut 1000 trees you will be looking for a chainsaw
    If you want to cut 1000 trees and hammer 10 000 nails you will buy every tool you need.

That is literally covenant choice, your logic is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    It's not being rude at all, And if you bothered to read my full comment, I very clearly say "I've hardly read anything. There's no way Blizzard would split the playerbase like that, It's just common sense.
    It didn't appear to be common sense to me, hence me asking.

- - - Updated - - -

- Regarding the insistence that you HAVE to pick the best covenant to be top tier seems overblown to me, just me.
    - Two players can have the same items, enchants, gems, talents, covenants and still have different results based on player skill and some RNG.
    - I don't think EVERY (any class) who picks (any covenant) will do the same DPS.
    - Every Nascar driver has a fast car but someones got to lose and someone has to win.
    - If the covenants are kept an eye on, mathematically 1 will be the best and 1 the worst BUT hopefully will be close enough that it allows for people to pick what they want to play.
    - There will be plenty of players who pick the "right" covenant who still are not going to be good enough to play high tier.
    - I feel far too often WoW players forget that averages exist for a reason, most players will be just that, average. no covenant or magic wand is going to transform you into an elite player. It's a game, we should be having fun and enjoying ourselves.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying you have the choice to not use corruption. Sure you "do" but to access a certain part of this game you'd be laughed outa the room.
    I find most People that think Covenants will make this much of a difference to their performance will just be laughed out of the room once People realise they are bad regardless.

No you wont, and you will haveto file for a divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by skorgg View Post
    Think of them as class halls in Legion. It should make little to no impact.
    so much for Ion's "meaningful choice"...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    so much for Ion's "meaningful choice"...
    And thats one opinion, not shared by everyone. Im looking forward to the Covenants.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

Quote Originally Posted by skorgg View Post
    Think of them as class halls in Legion. It should make little to no impact.
    ???????

It makes no impact in terms of lore maybe but gameplay wise, you cannot do a lot of world quests with each other. Class halls were not as restricted
    Night Elves NEED long hair to the ground and more elegant/regal beautiful options to show their Highbourne heritage