10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No the fuck it ain't. They're only the majority if they have a literal majority.

Otherwise, they either form a minority government (As Canada has right now) or they form a coalition/S&C government (as is the norm in much of Europe).
    But there still the majority party and there leader becomes the leader.

Your arguing semantics to try and worm out of what your people did.

And also Bury your head over your rising problem with the AFD.

Own it, Suck it up, and get rid of your new AFD nazis.

You guys owe the world a debt you have barely even started to pay off.

This conversation is over, its off topic and I'm not debating with some one who can't even see the problem with the AFD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    But there still the majority party and there leader becomes the leader.

Your arguing semantics to try and worm out of what your people did.
    As opposed to arguing semantics because you're looking for a reason to bitch about Germany. Aight.

I get enough of this shit from my idiot Greek relatives posting on facebook claiming Merkel is a secret nazi.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    As opposed to arguing semantics because you're looking for a reason to bitch about Germany. Aight.

I get enough of this shit from my idiot Greek relatives posting on facebook claiming Merkel is a secret nazi.
    Yea the rest of Europe still dosnt like germans, expecially ones that try to minimise the german peoples role in it all.

I wasn't bitching to start with, mearly pointing out the nazis were elected, which is why we put checks and balances on democracy because it can be dangerous, so we all have systems that try to protect the rights of the individual from the will of the majority. But americas has a weakness with elected judges and the supreme Court nominations, thats where that all came from.

Then some German dude who likes the AFD a bit to much came stormtroopering in to cover his grandpa's ass.

If you want to defend a guy who says the AFD isn't a problem....be my guest, not the hill I'd choose but you do you.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-03 at 04:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    which is why we put checks and balances on democracy because it can be dangerous
    Y'all confusing populism for democracy is what got us into this mess. /yawn

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Vaccines do not cure the disease. It just prevents it. There're a lot of experimental treatments though. The problem is his obesity and heart problems
    No shit, sherlock. The point would be him coming out and asking: Who really needs the FDA approval? These guys were testing something and it works when many people could use it. Let's just get rid of the FDA so the people working on a vaccine can distribute it quicker and save millions of lives, something that won't happen if Biden is elected and makes sure the FDA never lets a vaccine get approved for the China Virus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Uh, you might want to stop smoking whatever it is you are smoking.
    You seriously don't believe that if Trump survives this, he wouldn't look at axing the FDA and reduce medical regulations in favor of drug companies? Have you even been alive these last 4 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    You seriously don't believe that if Trump survives this, he wouldn't look at axing the FDA and reduce medical regulations in favor of drug companies? Have you even been alive these last 4 years?
    No more than he was already planning on doing so. It's also undermined by the fact that the studies on the very drug he's being treated with right now were hampered by patients insisting on receiving hydroxychloroquine treatment instead.

Wonder who could have been responsible for pushing that bullshit treatment. Hm.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...Pascale was fucked either way, wasn't he?

Y'all confusing populism for democracy is what got us into this mess. /yawn
    Populism isn't a form of government..... there's nothing to confuse.

Populism refers to a range of political stances that emphasise the idea of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite". The term developed in the 19th century and has been applied to various politicians, parties, and movements since that time, although it has rarely been chosen as a self-description.
    Populism is a stance / tactic political parties take within a democracy to win votes.

Democracy is the system, it kinda predates the idea of populism and even political parties by a few thousand years.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-03 at 04:32 AM.

No more than he was already planning on doing so. It's also undermined by the fact that the studies on the very drug he's being treated with right now were hampered by patients insisting on receiving hydroxychloroquine treatment instead.

Wonder who could have been responsible for pushing that bullshit treatment. Hm.
    Point is, this would give him the excuse to really move forward with it. People don't realize all the shit the FDA does and the fact it should be way more funded than it currently is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    Point is, this would give him the excuse to really move forward with it.
    Which isn't a point, considering he didn't need an excuse as Republicans have had their eye on dismantling the FDA since the 1980s.

People don't realize all the shit the FDA does and the fact it should be way more funded than it currently is.
    People don't seem to realise Republicans have been ratfucking it for far longer than Trump, so narratives about how Trump having COVID means the end of the FDA are kinda dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Populism isn't a form of government..... there's nothing to confuse.
    No, but authoritarianism is - which populism enables by helping to dismantle democracy or other civic institutions.

Democracy is the system, it kinda predates the idea of populism and even political parties by a few thousand years.
    Thank you for demonstrating my point. Also; lol no, populism has been a thing for as long as we have recorded history.

Which isn't a point, considering he didn't need an excuse as Republicans have had their eye on dismantling the FDA since the 1980s.

People don't seem to realise Republicans have been ratfucking it for far longer than Trump, so narratives about how Trump having COVID means the end of the FDA are kinda dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

No, but authoritarianism is - which populism enables by helping to dismantle democracy or other civic institutions.

Thank you for demonstrating my point. Also; lol no, populism has been a thing for as long as we have recorded history.
    Its litteraly quoted as starting in the 19th century, populism relys on mass media. And also requires representational democracy,

The greeks fell multiple times into tyranny via democracy that had no parties and few elected officials with just direct democracy.

Christ its like talking to the team america movie sometimes, democracy isn't Jesus, its deeply flawed thats why your founding fathers bothered to put it under a whole ton of hard to change laws called your constitution.

I'm going bed but if you want you can keep arguing the toss over something the rest of the world and most rational Americans know as an accepted fact that democracy is dangerous and isn't the messiah so you do need to guard against its weaknesses, it the whole point of constitutions.....
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-10-03 at 04:39 AM.

Go eat a snickers. It's obvious we're on the same page with this and you just want to pointlessly argue for arguments sake.

I'm well aware the Republican party works to dismantle every government system, FDA included. The problem is that some of these programs are wildly unpopular to defund and the FDA is one of those systems.

In order to do so and gain the support to do so, they need something to act as a nail in the coffin that they can blame that agency for.

In the case of the Postal Service, they're choosing to do it by ratfucking the system within and point out how terrible it is and how it's constantly in the red.

In the case of the FDA, they can say look, there are 200k dead and these regulations are slowing down the process for getting medications approved. He has reportedly now taken two non-FDA approved (for use in treating Covid) drugs and it worked for him. So let's dismantle the FDA to get people vaccinated for the virus and re-open America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its litteraly quoted as starting in the 19th century, populism relys on mass media. And also requires representational democracy,
    It doesn't, as the Late Republican period in Rome demonstrates.

Also, every time someone usurps a throne by inspiring a peasant uprising? That's populism.

The greeks fell multiple times into tyranny via democracy that had no parties and few elected officials with just direct democracy.
    This really stinks of an "end of history" viewpoint wherein democratic government is the natural state of things.

No, hun, Greeks did not "fall into tyranny" - oligarchy and despotism were the norm insofar as government in Classical Greece, with "democracy" being a minority form of government and not particularly democratic at all considering the only people who were voting were propertied male citizens of age.

Please stop butchering my people's history to fit your narrative.

Christ its like talking to the team america movie sometimes, democracy isn't Jesus, its deeply flawed thats why your founding fathers bothered to put it under a whole ton of hard to change laws called your constitution.
    Fairly sure they did that because they were men of property looking out for their own interests which democratic government might threaten.

Said interests primarily having to do with their ability to own other people as property and exploit them for profit. So no - the idea that democracy is this beast that must be guarded against is in fact bougie propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    If no one gets 270 electoral votes, the House of Representatives would vote to fill the office. This scenario would only occur if Trump dies after January 6th, when the Electoral College votes.

Only if Trump dies after the Electoral College votes. If Trump dies before, that's a possibility but not a foregone conclusion. For instance, the GOP might (though probably wouldn't) direct their electors to vote Pence for VP and someone else for President. Whether that directive would be considered legally binding, though (like pledged electors are in most states), is another matter entirely.
    I find it hard to believe even House GOP members would elect a literally unelected Republican to the Presidency for 4 years. That would be depraved, even for them, and everything that President did would be illegitimate and I'd argue illegal, imo. In that scenario, I imagine it will be brokered between Republicans and Dems not to vote anyone into the Presidency, and let Pence pick his VP on the 21st. This is a very different scenario from both candidates barely falling short - this is a scenario where the dead candidate wins and you literally can't elect him because he's dead. The only scenario this plays out differently is if Republicans honestly think Pence's VP won't be approved by the Dem-controlled Congress post Jan 21st.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you knew this was coming.

Our Ruling

"Does anyone else find it odd that no prominent Democrats have had the virus but the list of Republicans goes on and on?" said DeAnna Lorraine in an Oct. 2 tweet.

NPR has been keeping tabs on specific members of Congress who have tested positive for the coronavirus or quarantined after being exposed to it. According to the list, three Republican senators and nine representatives have tested positive or were presumed to have the coronavirus since the pandemic began. That’s more than the Democrats, who have had no senators and six representatives test positive for the virus.

Polls suggest that Republicans are less likely than Democrats to view the coronavirus as a serious public health threat. Republican representatives have also been less inclined to wear face masks during meetings and hearings, and more likely to hold in-person rallies and events. Both go against what public health authorities have recommended for slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

We reached out to Lorraine for more evidence or a comment. We haven’t heard back.

She's wrong that no prominent Democrats have contracted the coronavirus. We rate her post False.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I find it hard to believe even House GOP members would elect a literally unelected Republican to the Presidency for 4 years. That would be depraved, even for them, and everything that President did would be illegitimate and I'd argue illegal, imo. In that scenario, I imagine it will be brokered between Republicans and Dems not to vote anyone into the Presidency, and let Pence pick his VP on the 21st. This is a very different scenario from both candidates barely falling short - this is a scenario where the dead candidate wins and you literally can't elect him because he's dead. The only scenario this plays out differently is if Republicans honestly think Pence's VP won't be approved by the Dem-controlled Congress post Jan 21st.
    I suppose technically there's no reason they couldn't still cast their votes for Trump, but they constitutionally cannot refuse to vote and elect no one.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I suppose technically there's no reason they couldn't still cast their votes for Trump, but they constitutionally cannot refuse to vote and elect no one.
    Don't forget, 33 states have laws requiring electors to cast their vote the way the state voted. IIRC most of the states' laws cancel the vote and replace the elector upon voting for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinfoy Lat View Post
    Don't forget, 33 states have laws requiring electors to cast their vote the way the state voted. IIRC most of the states' laws cancel the vote and replace the elector upon voting for someone else.
    Yeah, more likely than the GOP giving directives to the electors themselves might be a massive write-in campaign if they don't want to roll the dice on "vote for the dead guy."

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess on that topic, let's revisit an old friend of ours.

Did President Trump Refer to the Coronavirus as a ‘Hoax’?

What's True
    During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False
    Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.
    It is the bolded orange on which I want to dwell.

So a number that nobody heard of that I heard of recently and I was shocked to hear it, 35,000 people on average die each year from the flu. Did anyone know that? 35,000. That’s a lot of people. It could go to 100,000, it could be 27,000, they say usually a minimum of 27, it goes up to 100,000 people a year who die, and so far we have lost nobody to coronavirus in the United States. Nobody. And it doesn’t mean we won’t, and we are totally prepared, it doesn’t mean we won’t. But think of it. You hear 35 and 40,000 people, and we’ve lost nobody, and you wonder, the press is in hysteria mode.
    That was Feb 28. Over a month after "It's just one person from China".

Trump has repeatedly since said how good of a job he's doing. This often involved moving the goalposts or, as we saw in the debate, saying Biden would have done worse (which is not a defense, it's conjecture). Perhaps he can reflect favorably on his results from his hospital bed as he is the best bestiest best research study project in history. The feeling will keep him warm at night when there's an oxygen tube shoved down his throat.

Semi-related: one of the side effects of remdesivir is increased sweating. Anyone want to see yet another Nixon parallel?