Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Unhappy Why is Bastion wiping people's memories?!

I've not exactly been keeping up with Beta news but how are weird angels insisting you give up your memories a good guy? Like are they asking? Are they respecting No for an answer?

Because what little I've seen consists of an angel counseling some innate with doubts to "have faith" or something. That doesn't sound like respecting people's concerns.

I'm really concerned because this seems to be the only "good" afterlife, save for one that seems to be most be for nature spirits and the like. Do all good people have to live in a place with a pseudo-religious sounding devotion to abandoning your past?

I would love for someone to tell me I'm wildly misinterpreting limited information and its actually X.

Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    I'm really concerned because this seems to be the only "good" afterlife
    Just a FWI since I see people confused on this, the 4 afterlives that are shown are only those with a purpose in running the Shadowlands. There are endless amount of peaceful realms out there for souls to go to.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

All of the Shadowlands realms and the people that live there seem like they're involved in some shady shit and come across as creepy.

The kyrian (the people in bastion) made me uncomfortable. There were quite a few of us on beta that said we would prefer to be part of the forsworn (kyrian who left and joined forces with the jailer... because of kyrian practices in relation to memory erasure). Uther is part of the forsworn. During Bfa there was a common discourse about good and evil not being black and white but a spectrum. I never felt it in Bfa - but I certainly do in Bastion. However the full story doesn't emerge until you do the campaign quest chain for the kyrian.

Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    I've not exactly been keeping up with Beta news but how are weird angels insisting you give up your memories a good guy? Like are they asking? Are they respecting No for an answer?
    Yes, they are on both. You'll get sent back to Oribos for re-assignment if Bastion doesn't work for you.

As for why the wipe: Because they're supposed to be impartial, and that's rather hard when you might have personal attachments to the souls you are to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by irdsyd View Post
    Uther is part of the forsworn.
    And Uther also showed exactly why the wipe is necessary when he threw Arthas into the Maw.

7+ Year Old Account
    So that things like Uther throwing Arthas into the Maw don't happen.

The purpose of the Kyrian is to shepherd mortal souls into the Shadowlands, they must be a non-biased unit for that job.

Do all good people have to live in a place with a pseudo-religious sounding devotion to abandoning your past?
    No, the Shadowlands are infinite.
    Bastion is but one out of an infinite number of realms a soul could be sent to.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And Uther also showed exactly why the wipe is necessary when he threw Arthas into the Maw.
    Why? What was wrong with punishing Arthas?

We're only seeing 5 "main" afterlives that are part of the functions of the greater part of the Shadowlands as a whole.

There are thousands, possibly millions of afterlives that the Arbiter sends you to, but we're only seeing 5 with minor dips into the other like going to The Other Side as a dungeon, ect. ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    So that things like Uther throwing Arthas into the Maw don't happen.

The purpose of the Kyrian is to shepherd mortal souls into the Shadowlands, they must be a non-biased unit for that job.
    Why? Somebody is gonna judge these souls. Might as well be them.

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitable Doom View Post
    That's the job of the Arbiter, they look at souls, judge how wicked or good they are, and look at their past and personality to figure out where to "sort" them. The Kyrian are just messengers and enforcers of their will. Arthas may have ended up in the Maw on his own, but they make it seem like Devos and Uther going over the Arbiter's head and delivering Arthas there personally might have been what started the imbalancing.

One could say Uther shouldn't have been made a Kyrian Aspirant, but the situation there was messed up to begin with since his soul was severed by Frostmourne and keeping him from letting go.

For all we know the Arbiter could have taken the burden of blame away from "Lich King" Arthas and judged him purely as "Prince Arthas", which would have made him be sent to Revendreth.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2020-10-30 at 12:26 AM.

Pretty much everything that is happening in the next two years, for starters. Also, his job was simply to collect the soul. Not to judge it, that's what the Arbiter exists for, and unlike Uther, is actually equipped with the abilities to do.

Oh thank God!

It wasn't Devos' or Uther's place to decide where he goes.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

no, that's the job of the Arbiter.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Pretty much everything that is happening in the next two years, for starters. Also, his job was simply to collect the soul. Not to judge it, that's what the Arbiter exists for, and unlike Uther, is actually equipped with the abilities to do.
    What does that mean? Punishing Arthas is responsible for the Shadowlands drought?

"Somebody is going to judge those criminals, why not let the prejudiced cop do it?"

Courts don't work that way for a damn good reason.

All of the Shadowlands realms and the people that live there seem like they're involved in some shady shit and come across as creepy.
    So you know the lore behind all the other infinite realms we haven't heard of yet too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

What does that mean? Punishing Arthas is responsible for the Shadowlands drought?
    Punishing him improperly might have. We know that Death deities are only as strong as the souls they get to claim. For all we know the Arbiter could have decided Arthas wasn't beyond redemption and sent him to Revendreth, but Uther and Devos taking it into their own hands gave the Jailer a soul with a lot of sins, and most likely a lot of anima.

It took until BFA to actually let the imbalance get critical, but Arthas being tossed into the maw without proper judgement may have been the slight tilt the Jailer needed to start taking action.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    no, that's the job of the Arbiter.
    All hail the arbiter. Let's purge ourselves of all individuality and serve.

Also, it's not just about being impartial about judging people. The mawsworn kidnapping Azeroth's leaders shows that that those who Ascend have huge power. Could you imagine someone who gets chosen due to their noble deeds but having 1 particular vendetta ascending and then scooping that person while still alive and shoving them in the maw?
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!