Thread: Elden Ring

Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As one of the best from soft players on the planet i cant wait. I have noticed a few animations reused but thats fine by me.

I am ready. It looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    It's almost like it doesn't make it any less embarrasing.
    Graphics aren't gameplay, and if spending less time on pretty graphics that they'll need to spend a ton of time optimizing around means they have more time to devote to gameplay, all the better.

And considering this is a studio that's never really pushed graphical fidelity in their games to-date, I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to suddenly start caring a lot about super shiny graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    As one of the best from soft players on the planet i cant wait. I have noticed a few animations reused but thats fine by me.
    you can notice tons of reused animations and skeletons in all their games xD
    since i dont know, before even demon souls?
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Graphics aren't gameplay, and if spending less time on pretty graphics that they'll need to spend a ton of time optimizing around means they have more time to devote to gameplay, all the better.

And considering this is a studio that's never really pushed graphical fidelity in their games to-date, I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to suddenly start caring a lot about super shiny graphics.
    They did with Bloodborne. That game looks fantastic still on the PS4!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    They've done plenty of other games.
    Not much since Dark Souls if I'm well informed. And let's not lie to ourself, even Sekiro who had a different setting than the seemingly medieval / renaissance europe still had pretty much the same formula with the greyish atmosphere and the same creature design. I mean, you even have monsters from Dark Souls 3 in it, or things that ressemble it. From the video I can't tell shit about the gameplay. It's not like games like CP2077 where you can see the driving is awful just by looking at the car movement.

People might like it and that's good for them, but I don't understand why people are overhyping this game. It's just Dark Souls with another name.

They did with Bloodborne. That game looks fantastic still on the PS4!
    Kinda? I mean, the two look very similar to me in terms of graphical fidelity and whanot. Sure this is coming out on next-gen, but it being an open world game means they likely have to make sacrifices on visual quality to that end. Their games are never exactly technical feats - neither on the visual side and especially on the performance side.

That's not a bad thing though, IMO. Not every game needs to have a big focus on visuals and it still looks plenty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The "new world" thing seems silly to me why not just call it dark souls 4 its obviously what they want to make.
    1. They didn't even WANT to make Dark Souls 2 & 3, let alone 4.

2. This is very thematically different from Dark Souls. While Dark Souls features an atmosphere of helplessness, with the player basically being the maggot in the rotting corpse of a world, things feel very much more heroic here.

3. Gameplay is quite different. While it does seem that traditional bosses are going to be a thing, the tight corridors and deliberately placed enemies are replaced by an open world with exploration and roaming monsters complete with mounted combat.

It looking the way it does makes sense seeing as it's going to be on every platform but the Switch (lul). Some disappointment that it doesn't even look close to Demon's Souls, or even Ghost of Tsushima for that matter... Regardless, the gameplay looks great and the horse being able to travel up cliffs is amazing.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    1. They didn't even WANT to make Dark Souls 2 & 3, let alone 4.
    Its not like they were held hostage and forced to make 2/3 or forced to make a game that looks just like a 4th but open world.

2. This is very thematically different from Dark Souls. While Dark Souls features an atmosphere of helplessness, with the player basically being the maggot in the rotting corpse of a world, things feel very much more heroic here.
    There's no reason They can't have a tonal shift hell they even set one up with both SOTFS and 3 and the theme is obviously incredibly similar even with a chosen undead, oh i mean tarnished with an unending curse of fighting and dying.

3. Gameplay is quite different. While it does seem that traditional bosses are going to be a thing, the tight corridors and deliberately placed enemies are replaced by an open world with exploration and roaming monsters complete with mounted combat.
    there's no reason series' cant go from corridors to open world.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-06-11 at 12:39 AM.

The sci fi hollywood music was very inappropriate.

Looks like another generic souls game.

Only thing that seems somewhat interesting is the mounted combat.

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I thought Sekiro looked and ran pretty well. DS3 also looked alright for its time.

They've done plenty of other games.
    Fromsoftware hasn't done a non-Souls game since Armored Core Verdict Day in 2013. That was 7 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    My god can't they do something that does not scream Dark Souls ? I know it's the same devs but come on, this game has no soul ... or a dark soul if we want to joke around.
    I mean you aren't wrong, this does look like Dark Souls 3.5, especially with the insistence on calling the PC a special word ( Chosen Undead, Ashen one, etc. ) but Sekiro was a departure from the style.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Fromsoftware hasn't done a non-Souls game since Armored Core Verdict Day in 2013. That was 7 years ago.
    Uhm. Sekiro? Hello?

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Uhm. Sekiro? Hello?
    Looks like Souls. Plays like Souls. Feels like Souls. Is a Souls game.

15+ Year Old Account
    This was supposed to be an MMORPG.....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you think Sekiro is a Souls game, you haven't played both Sekiro and a Souls game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This was supposed to be an MMORPG.....
    Since when? I've seen a few folks post here and elsewhere thinking this yet I can't find any reference to it looking back through all the news articles about the game from its first reveal.

Uhhh yeah I can't recall any announcement that ever mentioned anything about it being an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    If you think Sekiro is a Souls game, you haven't played both Sekiro and a Souls game.
    I think this is a problem with Soulslike as a descriptor, it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. While combat plays a little differently in Sekiro and stealth has more of an emphasis out of combat, it's still fundamentally a third person combat perspective based around evading and parrying attacks. Combat is punishing, and the player is expected to die frequently. Large bosses hide behind fog walls, and the player activates checkpoints which they can teleport between and replenish their healing item, for which they will gain more charges as they progress.

There are of course differences in the details all of these things, but there's enough overlap to see why some people think of Sekiro as Samurai Souls. Soulslike is somewhat broad as a descriptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.